PDA

View Full Version : Liz "Babies" :)

fljones3
06-07-2023, 05:58 PM
Thought I would post some latest pictures of Liz's babies. I got 6 but lost one.

My favorite among the 5 and the largest.

3 more.

The one on the right is the last. The one on the bottom left is my remaining wild. He is a confirmed male.

Cannot recommend enough Liz' discus. Now, if they would just spawn. :)

LizStreithorst
06-07-2023, 06:12 PM
I don't know what's up with the red base on the SS;s but I like them. Of course I'm partial to the 2 blue based turks.

LizStreithorst
06-07-2023, 06:28 PM
Do you have a profile shot of the one in the right at in the second pic. I'd like a better look at that one.

brewmaster15
06-07-2023, 07:34 PM
Frank those look great! Nicely
Done with them. Nice shape and nice eyes.. Good on you too Liz! Nice fishes!

Al

Second Hand Pat
06-08-2023, 07:26 AM
They look fantastic Frank :) Nice job growing them out :D
Are you totally out of wilds?
Pat

fljones3
06-08-2023, 08:27 AM
Liz, I will work on that better picture.
Pat, yes at this point. I may be moving in the later summer which may force me into a difficult decision on my discus. So, Wilds are on hold.

fljones3
06-08-2023, 10:39 AM
Photos are a little bright. Here are some more shots, Liz. Pretty fish but the right fin is bent. It's been that way for a while. I did not notice it until it was a little older. I thought the fish might grow out of it but it's still there. Still very much like the fish. It does not detract my eye. Overly red might be due to TetraColor bits.

LizStreithorst
06-08-2023, 11:01 AM
I see. What a shame. Otherwise it would be my favorite. The one you like is the best. My main complaint with that one is that the pattern is not the same throughout. Also the eye placement is too far forward. I'm way too critical when it comes to fish of my own breeding. The 5 you have left are all fish that anyone would be proud to own. How old are they now? I can't remember anything that involves a number.

CliffsDiscus
06-08-2023, 02:03 PM
Frank, nice job raising these Discus.

brewmaster15
06-08-2023, 02:06 PM
Photos are a little bright. Here are some more shots, Liz. Pretty fish but the right fin is bent. It's been that way for a while. I did not notice it until it was a little older. I thought the fish might grow out of it but it's still there. Still very much like the fish. It does not detract my eye. Overly red might be due to TetraColor bits.

Frank, If that ever gets to really bother you, it should be fixable with a trim just before the bend. Its not likely its genetic, Usually its more of a imbalance of protein vs minerals during its growth,IME. Procedure is the same as what I did here...

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?27044-Heckel-Hair-Cut!!!!
al

Charlyc11
06-08-2023, 03:06 PM
Nice looking fish Frank congrats on both of you. I hope more babies are coming. I just bought a bran new 120 G Long acrylic and need to fill it with discus.

fljones3
06-08-2023, 10:43 PM
Thanks everyone for the encouragement! :)

Thanks Al for the link. Interesting on the possibility of protein vs mineral imbalance. Wonder why this fish and not the others? Same tank.
The thoughts of doing a "haircut" is probably more stressful for me than the fish. However, I might give it a go. The fish would certainly benefit from it in the long term — mobility and all.

fljones3
06-08-2023, 10:46 PM
Liz, I have arrival date from you as September 20, 2022.

brewmaster15
06-09-2023, 06:19 AM
Thanks everyone for the encouragement! :)

Thanks Al for the link. Interesting on the possibility of protein vs mineral imbalance. Wonder why this fish and not the others? Same tank.
The thoughts of doing a "haircut" is probably more stressful for me than the fish. However, I might give it a go. The fish would certainly benefit from it in the long term — mobility and all.

Frank when I ran into this in one of my batches of fry I attributed it to feeding alot of protein (beefheart mix) and not doing enough water changes. I had gotten super busy and could not keep up with water changes.. A percentage of the fish showed floppy fins and others also had curved gill plates. Not all showed the defects...but it was concentrated in the largest fry which were also pigs at eating. I speculated water quality issues and too much protein ..not enough minerals in the water. I tested this hypothesis by trimming the floppy fins and adding calcium chloride to the water... fins grew back normally. Unforunately those with gill plate defects had to be culled. This was a long time ago and is not by anymeans scientific.. its just my observations in a group of fry.

Hth,
Al