PDA

View Full Version : Nothing special but since is being a while

Pardal
06-11-2023, 07:46 PM
Hi Simply long time not posting ,
So this female Yellow face Red Melon kind of a nymph spawning every week , males couldn't catch with her, finally have an Alenquer cross from Oscar PompaDiscus , and she manage to get 9 frys to attach like I said nothing special
but want to share anyway
135650 Male

brewmaster15
06-11-2023, 08:10 PM
Julian, nothing special? My backside! Lol .Congrats! Any fry are something to enjoy! Nice fish but nicer still to see you posting my friend.
Al

LizStreithorst
06-11-2023, 08:17 PM
Welcome home and crangrats. I have fallen in love with your beautiful male. Good luck with the pair's 9 kids.

Second Hand Pat
06-12-2023, 05:52 AM
Hi Julian, super nice to see you here. It's been a while and there is nothing better then seeing fry on the back of their parents. Nice going :D
Pat

Pardal
06-12-2023, 10:11 AM
Thanks Al , I will make time to be here more often, Simply is where all begins, or sure I said started.
Julian.

Pardal
06-12-2023, 10:17 AM
Thanks Liz, notice you been busy , with your breeding program , yes love the Alenquer cross is not a pure wild but is really close to.

Pardal
06-12-2023, 10:22 AM
Hi Julian, super nice to see you here. It's been a while and there is nothing better then seeing fry on the back of their parents. Nice going :D
Pat

Thanks Pat
yes is being a while , How are your wild doing these days.

Pardal
06-12-2023, 10:38 AM
So, she manage to laid eggs again , while having fry on their backs , and to avoid any slaughter I took from my days of artificial and put them floating in a bowl in a 20 gal that will be their initial grow up tank later on. I think I have a "slider" as I have found that it goes side ways to the bottom from time to time and then goes and swim with the school from time to time, have sliders with artificial rearing , but not recall to have one coming from fry that is being attached to parents from over a week.

LizStreithorst
06-12-2023, 10:48 AM
I've never done artificial raising, but I still have the occasional bottom slider. It just happens.

CliffsDiscus
06-12-2023, 12:05 PM
I have seen 90% sliders from parental raise before. Sliders are difficult to cull as soon as I try to net them they start to swim normally with the rest.

Cliff

Pardal
06-12-2023, 01:17 PM
I've never done artificial raising, but I still have the occasional bottom slider. It just happens.

uhm, I guess I was lucky before. yes with artificial in the bowl the brine shrimp just swim to their mouth and you end up with a bunch of "couchpotatoes" that eat but can't get up to swim.

Pardal
06-12-2023, 01:18 PM
I have seen 90% sliders from parental raise before. Sliders are difficult to cull as soon as I try to net them they start to swim normally with the rest.

Cliff

Yes , Cliff that is exactly what is happening, but I think I going to cull him sooner than later.

Pardal
06-17-2023, 05:43 PM
So I moved them to the 20 gallon where they were floating, a little bit more work than in the bowl , but want them to develop properly, they are 8 now after culling the slider.
The spawn turn out to be no fertile but they will go again for sure got some new FDBW from Al, so hopefully these improve their diet to be more fertile.135734

Sandip
07-04-2023, 10:09 AM
Julian, Thank you for sharing the progress with us. I am going to follow this thread, in the hopes of doing something similar in future. Please keep posting pictures and updates. What are you feeding the babies? Do you have any filter on the baby tank? How much water change are you doing?

Pardal
07-09-2023, 12:29 PM
Julian, Thank you for sharing the progress with us. I am going to follow this thread, in the hopes of doing something similar in future. Please keep posting pictures and updates. What are you feeding the babies? Do you have any filter on the baby tank? How much water change are you doing?

I feed fresh hatch baby brine shrimp , the filter in the tank is a sponge filter , I do daily water changes sometimes twice , but only about a 30% and very important at the end of the day, so they sleep in a cleaner water.

Pardal
07-09-2023, 12:34 PM
So I figure is time for an update , the fry is doing great working now in weaning them out the bbs , and to take commercial food as well as my seafood mix and frozen black worms, they are eating it but not with the same gusto. 135926

Pardal
07-09-2023, 12:40 PM
Mean while Mama Red and Papa Alenquer Cross decide to spawn again a much better batch ,of about 50 fry , I think the determine factors are they are learning , find their sweet spot as this time TDS was in the mid 90's , also the introduction of Als FDBW and my seafood mix.135929
Will download video when figure out better quality , look good in the phone but not when post the link here.

Sabrina
07-09-2023, 04:42 PM
Hi Julian,

The baby discus look great, will they turn out to be Reds? Is that their parents in the bottom picture? I see the tiny fry with the parents, to cute.
I remember reading about sea food for discus somewhere years ago, cant really recall much but I thought because discus are fresh water they shouldn't be fed sea foods? Curious about this..

Pardal
07-09-2023, 10:42 PM
Hi Julian,

The baby discus look great, will they turn out to be Reds? Is that their parents in the bottom picture? I see the tiny fry with the parents, to cute.
I remember reading about sea food for discus somewhere years ago, cant really recall much but I thought because discus are fresh water they shouldn't be fed sea foods? Curious about this..

Sabrina
Yes they are the parents , I think they will come out a reddish brown , but too soon to be sure , don't know the real make up of the Alenquer cross, yes the seafood mix is mostly shrimp ground to almost a paste consistency , a piece of salmon, garlic minced , spirulina powder, food grade yeast for salads, a few tables of mysis shrimp relicta the cold fresh water kind, a little bit of grinds from frozen dried black worms, a table spoon of baby brine shrimp , and flake for vitamins and combine together, it usually is well accepted by the fish, sometimes I add beef heart or chicken heart , but then I won't call it seafood mix.
I don't grind the mysis shrimp, or baby brine shrimp, neither grinds of the frozen dried black worms, all these is added at the end just to entice the fish. neither to say everything is raw.

Sabrina
07-09-2023, 11:44 PM
Oh wonderful, looking forward to seeing how they colour up in the future :)

The sea food recipe sounds delicious for fish haha.. Very creative!

CliffsDiscus
07-10-2023, 12:56 PM
Looks great, most of the babies look like the Red female, did you have any Alenquer fry out of this batch?

Cheers!
Cliff

Pardal
07-10-2023, 04:44 PM
Looks great, most of the babies look like the Red female, did you have any Alenquer fry out of this batch?

Cheers!
Cliff

Cliff, the first batch was only 9 fish one slider (cull) the second batch which is about 3 days now looks more promising as they are about 50 fry or so , will see. I don't think they will be as red as the mom though, but still too soon let's see how the red allele's in both parents combine. I don't know with what strain they do the cross for the Alenquer they are from Forest Malaysia now imported by Oscar Pompa Discus.

Thanks
Julian.

brewmaster15
07-10-2023, 05:10 PM
Julian they look great! Looks to be some nice fishes .. Are you planning on Keeping them or selling them.
al

brewmaster15
07-10-2023, 05:12 PM
Hi Julian,

Hi Sabrina,
On your question. Its actually safer to feed them seafood than freshwater sourced fishes.. Less chance of introducing parasites if you feed seafood mix vs freshwater mixes.

al

Sabrina
07-10-2023, 11:16 PM
Hi Al,

Oh, right! Thanks for that information :D

Pardal
07-11-2023, 03:59 PM
Julian they look great! Looks to be some nice fishes .. Are you planning on Keeping them or selling them.
al

Al ,I will definitely keep some and sell some as well, once the second batch is out the woods and established it.

Pardal
07-12-2023, 04:11 PM
Here is a video of the second batch. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5DpRbM9AxZg-huDeB4InUw

LizStreithorst
07-12-2023, 05:05 PM
At first couldn't see them, but when I did...Holy Moly...You have a ton of kids!! Big congratulations.

brewmaster15
07-12-2023, 06:26 PM
Here is a video of the second batch. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5DpRbM9AxZg-huDeB4InUw

Cool Julian! Looks like you are going to be very busy!
Al

Pardal
07-12-2023, 07:10 PM
Thanks Liz and Al here is the one that I was actually trying to post in the first place
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=av-YBn0Zx1c&ab_channel=Discuholic

Pardal
09-09-2023, 12:13 PM
Well is time for an update, so the second batch turn out to have a lots of sliders , short gill plates, and even a sharky dorsal fin missing a chunk, Although about 24 of them after culling when they were 1" quarter size end up with people here in the two fish clubs , North Florida Fish Keepers and Aquarium Club of Jacksonville. The eight of the small first batch are actually doing nice.
As Five of them are pushing 3~3.5 inches and Three of them on 2~2.5 , They turn out to be a variety of Red Melon or so , they do have a reminisce of a bar at the peduncle of the caudal fin, and a dusty haze of what could be a typical peppering like in many pigeon base fish, the only thing good is at least I know a little bit about their genetic make up as we know male was the Alenquer Cross and female Yellow face Red Melon.136331

brewmaster15
09-09-2023, 02:57 PM
Julian ,
They are turning out to be some nice melons. Its uncanny how closely they resemble the female even after crossing to a non pigeon. Do you know what the Alenquer X. Had for genetics?

Al

Pardal
09-12-2023, 11:42 PM
No Al, I wish . I ask Oscar he couldn't tell me , he had it from Forrest I will try to find out. He is at first sight a plain brown , but when look closely he has some nice subtle reddish specially in his anal fin , and he rarely shows his stress bars ,but in a faint manner. The lack of black halo , makes me suspect that he has a couple of cross from the original wild parents. A throwback maybe He still is one of my favors.

Pardal
10-28-2023, 11:05 AM
Julian ,
They are turning out to be some nice melons. Its uncanny how closely they resemble the female even after crossing to a non pigeon. Do you know what the Alenquer X. Had for genetics?

Al
Al, I just find out that the Alenquer X , is made by a cross of Malaysian Red with Alenquer , in addition the Red Ica's X are made by a cross of Malaysian Red with Heckel. No sure what exactly the Malaysian Red are but I 'm sure is a pigeon red base color.

brewmaster15
10-28-2023, 11:24 AM
Al, I just find out that the Alenquer X , is made by a cross of Malaysian Red with Alenquer , in addition the Red Ica's X are made by a cross of Malaysian Red with Heckel. No sure what exactly the Malaysian Red are but I 'm sure is a pigeon red base color.

Julian, Thats a a great piece of info to have and helps explain the offspring.I am hoping that you end up breeding those siblings to each other..would love to see the fry.

Pardal
10-29-2023, 09:44 PM
Yes, I will try to see how that will turn out, lots of possibilities here Al, I also tented to use The proven male Alenquer X , with the Red Ica proven female, as the AlenquerX is a bigger size fish about 6 inches well develop , and the Red Ica's are kind smaller barely 5", since both have a red malaysian in common and a wild side in common will be really interested to see which gene is more powerful the Alenquer or the Heckel or if they come in two 25% different groups and a 50% reds .but all this is once I have obtain at least one batch from the Red Ica's.
Don't want to count the chicks before they hatch though.

brewmaster15
11-03-2023, 07:32 AM
Looking forward to seeing where this goes.

Btw.. we recently dug up an old thread on home bred fish..

https://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?30258-Lets-see-YOUR-home-bred-Fish-!!!!!

Please post a few shots there if you get a chance. :)