PDA

View Full Version : Discus from different source

ganesan
07-02-2023, 01:04 AM
I recently saw many discus fish in a local pet shop. He has sourced these discus from different breeders and has been keeping them in different aquariums accordingly. My question is can I buy 2,3 discus from each of these sources and put them together in one aquarium. Will there be any contamination. They all seem healthy at the petshop and have sponge filter.

jeep
07-02-2023, 08:47 AM
That's a tough call. Unless the owner is taking extreme precautions to avoid cross contamination, then it's easy to assume they have no issues. But when it comes to cross contamination, assuming can be very bad.

I would be tempted to have him place the fish in a single tank and hold them for a few days. Let him take the risk. But I'm overly cautious too...

Iminit
07-02-2023, 09:53 AM
Ok this just recently happened to me. Bought 3 different discus from the same store but all in different tanks. Brought home added to qt tank together and within a few days I had a cc in that tank. Added rid-ick and salt as soon as I saw the problem and was able to get rid of it pretty quickly. So yes it can happen. Be prepared if it does.

ganesan
07-04-2023, 01:54 PM
Thanks I think it isn't worth the risk

ganesan
07-04-2023, 01:56 PM
I think in a situation like this maybe one should keep the water at high temperature perhaps 30c for a few days and add plenty of rock salt and high aeration. Just for a few days. I am not sure.