PDA

View Full Version : Trimming Improperly Healed Fins

sf_discus
07-09-2023, 08:40 PM
Hello All. I have been a long time reader of the forum and finally decided to make an account. After a years long break from keeping Discus, I decided to get back into the hobby this past February.

There was a several week period of high aggression in the tank sometime around March/April. This resulted in many torn fins, with most all of them healing properly in no time. However, my Albino Yellow sustained some fin tearing that did not heal properly, as seen in the pic below.

I've read Al's thread from years ago about trimming improperly healed fins, and was wondering if anyone has an opinion about whether the fins on this fish could be fixed by trimming them. Obviously this is only an aesthetic issue, but I just hate seeing the huge chunk gone from the fins of one of my favorite fish lol.

Second Hand Pat
07-10-2023, 07:07 AM
Welcome aboard and I think Al's thread will answer all your questions http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?27044-Heckel-Hair-Cut.
Pat

brewmaster15
07-10-2023, 08:28 AM
Thats a pretty deep split. Although its in the area that generally can be trimmed and grow back theres a limit to it. Towards the base of those rays they become very bony. If you trim too far down the tissue won't grow back . In your fishes case you are really close to that point so it could make things very much worse.

There is possibly one other option that can work. Its a use at own risk one but I have used it to repair splits like that. You net the fish and using a q tip soaked in hydrogen peroxide apply it carefully to base of the split. Retun the fish to hospital tank where it can recover. What often happens is that peroxide will cause a small wound that then heals naturally...repairing the split. Its not without alot of risk and I would not recommend to anyone not super comfortable with working on a fish out of water. I offer it as informational only.

A split fin like yours on a beautiful fish is a bit of a bummer but as you noted ...its really just an aesthetic issue..My advice for you here is to just enjoy your discus. Consider it a body piercing of sorts in the fish world. :)
Al

sf_discus
07-10-2023, 09:58 PM
Thanks for the insight Al. I figured with it being such a deep split there was a good chance it would be too risky to try and fix. I will just enjoy it the way it is to avoid needlessly putting the fish at risk :)

brewmaster15
07-13-2023, 10:13 AM
That sounds like a good idea. Glad to help!
-al