PDA

View Full Version : Reminder time.. storm prep

brewmaster15
07-16-2023, 06:25 AM
Hi all,
I thought I would remind everyone that with storm season upon us and storms becoming more severe than they have been you really should have back up power supply systems in place.

At the very least 12v dc car inverters can get some air into your fishtanks and run filters . Battery backups like Jackery makes are a good short term option.

Better still are generators that can run your homes refrigerators and more.. these can be free standing systems or hardwired .

For most I would strongly suggest investing a few hundred dollars into portable Invert generators. They are super quiet, reasonably priced and can be found in the the 2000-3000 watt range will easily provide power to most hobbyists tanks and refrigerators. Invert generators are offered as gasoline powered or propane powered, some are dual fuel. These invert generators are also safe for sensitive electronics as they generate pure sine waves. Construction type generators that are not invert generators make modified sine waves.. these can damage sensitive electronics.

If you search around you can often pick.up 1000 watt units as well that are inexpensive and will run fish tanks.

Im amazed by how many people will spend thousands on their fish keeping hobby but neglect to think ahead and plan for extended outages. Don't be one of these hobbyists...its depressing watching your fish die when it could have been avoided.

Al

Some notes though .. if you invest in a generator. Fire it up per the mfg recommendations and break it in. New generators need to be run x amount of hours and broken in...then you do an oil change. Its not something you want to deal with during a power outage.

Be sure you periodically run the generator and store it in a way to protect it from the elements and from rodents. I have had quite a few mouse nest in mine when I get careless on the storage.these can quite literally cause a fire.

Also be sure to store your gasoline with a fuel stabilizer. Gasoline today contains ethanol which sucks up moisture
and degrades quickly. Fuel stabilizers allow you to store gasoline for months and months.Always use a stabilizer.

Last note..most generators have a specific recommendation for shut down. I Always shut my fuel off and run the carb dry. Never store a generator with fuel in the carb.. that ethanol I mentioned gums up carbs when it sits . Cleaning a carb is a great skill to learn but not something you want to do during a power outage. You need a generator to be ready to run then.

brewmaster15
07-16-2023, 08:14 AM
What kind of storm prep do you all have in place?
Al

LizStreithorst
07-16-2023, 08:31 AM
I already had a power outage for a day plus 4 hrs. I bought my generator 7 years ago and this is the first time I've had to use it since then. I don't mess with gasoline, I run mine on propane although It does run on gas, too. I'm glad I kept up with oil changes and running it every month or two with a load. It saved my fish's lives when I needed it by running my air, and tank lights. I also plugged in my TV, computer, Wify, fridge, freezer, and a couple of table lamps for reading. I'm worried now about my computer said you said that about the sine waves, but so far, so good.

brewmaster15
07-16-2023, 08:48 AM
Liz what generator are you using?

Theres a work around if it doesnt make pure sine waves..

Back up power supplies like this..

https://www.amazon.com/Jackery-Portable-Explorer-Generator-Optional/dp/B082TMBYR6/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=2Z1LDGQD4G89Y&keywords=jackery+portable+power+station&qid=1689511519&sprefix=jacery%2Caps%2C119&sr=8-3&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.18ed3cb5-28d5-4975-8bc7-93deae8f9840

They can be charged by your generator, car, or wall and they put out pure sine waves.. perfect for running laptops, smart phones and tablets.

brewmaster15
07-16-2023, 09:38 AM
Im sitting here right now with a severe storm watch in place
. Tornado watch until 3 pm. The air has that heavy tropical storm feel. Sky has that greenish grey look. In case I lose power I just went through some major water changes here and checked my battery back systems. Firing up my generator and making sure all is well in fuel land

Hopefully nothing will come if it.. last time it was like this we had a micro burst clear cut a path across several towns. Missed a direct hit on my neighborhood by a few blocks.

LizStreithorst
07-16-2023, 10:07 AM
Mine's a Generac generator. Made in China, but it has been an excellent purchase for the price. I don't remember it saying anything about sine waves, but if it did, I've forgotten about it since I don't even know what sine waves are. I think the types of waves were touched upon in a long forgotten science class in jr. high but I've forgotten about that, too. Just another thing I thought I would never need to know in real life.

Charlyc11
07-16-2023, 10:08 AM
I use to get power outages all the time when I lived at Stony Brook Long Island, so I had bought a generator. It came with me to Maryland so I hooked it up to my house and I even have a covered area where it can run without weather affecting it. Funny I am in a little more rural area and I barely lose power and in the last 9 years I don't think we've lost no more than 4 hrs. But that could change so the generator is tested every once in a wile. When I turn it on I have to turn off the Heat pump, range, water heater and incoming power line. I only have 6000 watt. that will support TV, lights, fish tanks, refrigerator and ceiling fans for summer months. In the winter I have two fireplaces with inserts and plenty of wood.

brewmaster15
07-16-2023, 10:48 AM
Decent article on inverter vs standard (construction type)
Generators

https://rurallivingtoday.com/generators/power-inverters-vs-generators-which-best/

brewmaster15
07-16-2023, 11:01 AM
I use to get power outages all the time when I lived at Stony Brook Long Island, so I had bought a generator. It came with me to Maryland so I hooked it up to my house and I even have a covered area where it can run without weather affecting it. Funny I am in a little more rural area and I barely lose power and in the last 9 years I don't think we've lost no more than 4 hrs. But that could change so the generator is tested every once in a wile. When I turn it on I have to turn off the Heat pump, range, water heater and incoming power line. I only have 6000 watt. that will support TV, lights, fish tanks, refrigerator and ceiling fans for summer months. In the winter I have two fireplaces with inserts and plenty of wood.
Chuck,
6000 is a good size unit.Alot of people go over board on these generators.. they buy the biggest they can get. Its nice when a generator will run everything you normally have on when you are the grid but its really not the best way to plan out a power back up plan. Better to figure out whats essential and buy a generator that meets that. Its more about getting by until the power is back on.

One reason you dont want a huge generator is fuel. Bigger genny..more fuel is needed. .Fuel can be scarce in a bad emergency. Id rather a small generator I can run days and get by on vs one thats huge and I am out of gas in a day.

Invert generators tend to be under 5000 watts. I use 2 each 2300 watt units parallel connected if I need more than one. Thats something you can only do with invert generators.
. ..

Iminit
07-16-2023, 11:41 AM
Lol I guess I could have used this update a week ago :). I’ve had 3 generators now first a generac. Bought it during Sandy. Set it up shut off my main breaker and powered up the needed stuff and 2 30gs. Then sent an extension cord to my neighbor. Soon as I got him hooked up the power came on. Gave that one to my bil. He used it for about a month that time. About 2 weeks after giving it to him we got hit with a nor’easter and I managed to buy another. Got me and my neighbor hooked up and again power came on:rolleyes2: we found out there’s someone on life support near us so power comes back to us first. That generator sat there for years with me running it time to time. Neighbor went out and bought his own. Never unboxed it!! About 3 yrs ago another neighbors tree came down and took out all the power lines. It was a huge storm than ran through the island so we were out a week. Of course I could get mine to start and we had to figure out how to get my neighbors running. That time we were out for about 2 weeks and of course everybody else was up and running but us. I managed to borrow another generator. Long after and me replacing the carburetor on my generator and it still not working I realized at the last oil change I added to much oil. Removed some and it runs great again:rolleyes2:. So after this my neighbor goes out and buys this real expensive generator that run on gasoline/propane and natural gas! Wow! He also adds an outside gas line! A year later he finds the same generator on sale half price! Shames me into buying it and getting the gas line. We’ve never used these generators and constantly laugh at each other with what’s going to happen when the next power outage hits. Ps I gave my old generator to my son. So now after reading your message I sit here realizing I’ve got no gas (been power washing everybody’s houses) no propane (been bbqing and have 2 empty tanks) and never had the plumber instal the coupling to hook up the natural gas. I don’t even know if. Ever started this generator up!! So sitting here hoping this storm don’t hit!!!

brewmaster15
07-16-2023, 11:55 AM
Lol I guess I could have used this update a week ago :). I’ve had 3 generators now first a generac. Bought it during Sandy. Set it up shut off my main breaker and powered up the needed stuff and 2 30gs. Then sent an extension cord to my neighbor. Soon as I got him hooked up the power came on. Gave that one to my bil. He used it for about a month that time. About 2 weeks after giving it to him we got hit with a nor’easter and I managed to buy another. Got me and my neighbor hooked up and again power came on:rolleyes2: we found out there’s someone on life support near us so power comes back to us first. That generator sat there for years with me running it time to time. Neighbor went out and bought his own. Never unboxed it!! About 3 yrs ago another neighbors tree came down and took out all the power lines. It was a huge storm than ran through the island so we were out a week. Of course I could get mine to start and we had to figure out how to get my neighbors running. That time we were out for about 2 weeks and of course everybody else was up and running but us. I managed to borrow another generator. Long after and me replacing the carburetor on my generator and it still not working I realized at the last oil change I added to much oil. Removed some and it runs great again:rolleyes2:. So after this my neighbor goes out and buys this real expensive generator that run on gasoline/propane and natural gas! Wow! He also adds an outside gas line! A year later he finds the same generator on sale half price! Shames me into buying it and getting the gas line. We’ve never used these generators and constantly laugh at each other with what’s going to happen when the next power outage hits. Ps I gave my old generator to my son. So now after reading your message I sit here realizing I’ve got no gas (been power washing everybody’s houses) no propane (been bbqing and have 2 empty tanks) and never had the plumber instal the coupling to hook up the natural gas. I don’t even know if. Ever started this generator up!! So sitting here hoping this storm don’t hit!!!

Man Tom... you just royally jinxed yourself lol. Probably also jinxed us here in CT. Since usually what you get.. we get!

CliffsDiscus
07-16-2023, 12:12 PM
Storm season is over we now have fire season and I don't know when we are going to be hit with the earthquakes.
Currently I have use my Honda generator without any problems.

brewmaster15
07-16-2023, 01:11 PM
Storm season is over we now have fire season and I don't know when we are going to be hit with the earthquakes.
Currently I have use my Honda generator without any problems.
Cliff if it looks like you will get hit by fires you can box up all your discus and send them my way for safe keeping..:)