PDA

View Full Version : Questions Not Answered in Stickies.

Overstock Queen
08-10-2023, 04:16 PM
Thinking about starting a discus tank. Have a few questions. I have roughly 20 years of Aquarium builds. Planted tanks, but mostly reef. I have a 90 gallon Custom Brands aquarium with a 37 gallon Trigger Ruby Sump. Never been used. Ever. Two SB Reef Planted lights, not even taken out of the box. So I thought I might as well do something with all this crap laying around. Auto top off, return pump, plumbing, heater controller you know? Why not something I've never tried, Discus.

My questions are, my return pump is DC capable of up to 1280 gallons per hour. How much flow is really needed? Reef is 15-20 over, I was thinking maybe 4x on the discus or can they handle more? Tank has two return lines. Can diffuse.

I read here that bottomless is the way to go. I don't want to even get into the battle here. I want the look of sand. I'm willing to do the husbandry.

Food. I don't have a bloodworm hook up anymore. What sort of food should I look for?

Where do I buy Discus? Our local store doesn't carry healthy looking Discus.

What plants are hardy in lower PH with 87 degrees? I see a ton of Java in discus tank and **shudder** pothos, will Crypts make it? Do I really need to keep the tank at 87 degrees? Not an issue just curious.

Aquarium salt? For reals? Or just advice? I used it in my pond and goldfish tank all those years ago, is it something discus require? If yes where can I buy in bulk, that Petco crap is just that, crap.

Water changes is my hang up. People are doing 100% a week! That is insane to me! I have a Spectrapure 5 stage that does 90gpd, but man, that's an expense. My filter cost and home water costs. Time it takes. Is that a rule? Or can I get away with 50% a month in the form of 15% a week? If I could get it to one or two WC a month then I am for sure in. The sump layout is quite large and I can do anything. Reactors, fluidized sand bed, mechanical, matrix whatever. If not then I'm out and discus won't be for me. I am willing to put in the work, I know it sounds like I'm not, it's mostly just a long term expense I am trying to avoid. Mostly my time divided between a pond, reef, planted tank. I can't be doing water changes everyday all day.

I have fish stock picked out already. Zebra pleco, Angels, Discus, Rummy...shrimps!

I have all the equipment you could ever imagine. All I need is the know how. If you all say don't do it I won't! Any and all advice I am 100% open to.

Iminit
08-10-2023, 06:32 PM
Welcome Lola! Sorry to say but we’re talking apples and oranges! Some will tell you that you don’t need water changes. Thing is they’re not around long enough to prove it. As a beginner you’ve got to go with the best method! Bare bottom tanks, minimum 100% water change a week, start with large discus, recommend the sponsors here. Quality foods can be many. Others will join in. Freeze dried black worm and discus chow bought here are great! Sera granules and many quality flakes are also used. Many make their own beef heart mix. I find it way to messy and ifgoing this route you will need to up your water changes :). Thing is most long time keeper don’t mind the water changes.

Reefers have come and gone into the discus hobby. What’s up with your water? Many can use tap water on discus.

Wait till you’ve kept discus for a year and have a good understanding about the fish before you jump into plants in discus tanks. In the end plants and discus = more work. I’ve kept planted tanks since the 80s. This is what I do with discus tanks.136120 136121.

Being a 90g I’d look to turn over about 8x an hour. Is your trigger a salt water sump or fresh water?

Low ph is something of the past. People keep discus from a ph of 6-8 and the common temps are 82-86. Most 82-84.

Zebra plecos maybe later after you’ve got a grip on discus. Angels only if you really don’t want discus! No they don’t go together :). Rummies are great as are strebia corys.

Salt is not needed but is used for many problems.

Ok equipment needed. Your 90 and your sump. A heater or a pair of heaters. A qt tank!! 20-40g. This is for all new fish or sick fish. Two are better than one :). Everything to get those tanks running in a hurry. All that reef equipment can be sold :).

It’s not hard to keep discus but there is dedication needed :).

LizStreithorst
08-10-2023, 06:47 PM
Sorry, Lola, but Tom is correct. Look at his tank. His is BB with plants in post and driftwood. Easy to keep clean.

There are many good foods out there. Right now, I'm using Al's Blackworms, frozen blood worms and pellets from a different vendor. I'd put beefheart in the rotation as well, if I could find beef heart. But large daily WC's are of great or greater importance. It's not hard if you use pumps.

Good luck. I do hope you decide to try Discus and do what the fish require so you'll have success the first time. Nothing (to me) is much more beatutiful or rewarding than a big tank of happy healthy Discus.

Overstock Queen
08-10-2023, 07:30 PM
Then it is not for me. I want a more bio look. But yeah weekly water changes of 100% is just not for me. I think I will give up the dream. My back up plan is a brackish with angels. I have a tank full of plants and a garage full of driftwood, Dragonstone, and Mopani I need to spread the wealth!

Trigger sumps are geared towards reef. However I'm not sure what the difference would be? It's not a trickle.

I'm sort of bummed but I wanted to do it right. One day I will retire then doing massive water changes won't be an issue. Or I might reconsider and set something up to make life easier. Maybe auto water changes...:grin:

Here are some tank photos to pay the tax. (At least I think I figured out how to attach photos)

LizStreithorst
08-10-2023, 07:40 PM
Too bad. I do hope you come back at a later time, though.

brewmaster15
08-10-2023, 08:04 PM
I will go out on a limb here and say its not entirely impossible to do discus in your 90 gal tank with very conservative water changes. You wont be able to grow things out but 4 adult discus... a few amano shrimp or colony of cherry shrimp.. a few cories could work... it really depends on your goals and set up. I'd hate to see you give up discus without fully exploring it. For instance your reservations on water change frequency you mention expense of R/O water.. you dont need RO water in most cases. What is your water like?

Water changes are a foundation to healthy discus but these are also based on everyones various tank conditions. .Everyones discus benefit from large frequent water changes but the point where water changes are insufficiently being done for a particular tank is different for everyone.

Don't just throw in the towel so soon...maybe with a little more research here and further conversation you can find a plan that may be workable for you.

Iminit
08-10-2023, 09:14 PM
Lol sorry to hear you’re not jumping in! Thought you reef keepers had some gumption :)!! It’s like I always say: anyone can keep a reef but discus takes dedication:)! Also you do know angels are not brackish fish?

fljones3
08-10-2023, 09:18 PM
My understanding is that if you get fully adult discus, water changes are still mandatory but not daily. Also, feeding is less.
I too would not want you to just dismiss the idea.

brewmaster15
08-10-2023, 09:27 PM
Lol sorry to hear you’re not jumping in! Thought you reef keepers had some gumption :)!! It’s like I always say: anyone can keep a reef but discus takes dedication:)! Also you do know angels are not brackish fish?

Tom are you trying to double dog dare the Op? :) I may have to double dare you to breed that pair of discus.:evilgrin:

Al

Iminit
08-10-2023, 10:47 PM
Lol Al I’m still trying and they’re cleaning the pot again. Bet eggs in the morn :).

I’m just shocked how many reefers back out of discus. I’ve got no interest but I’m thinking for all the hype reef keeping must be easy! Expensive but easy. I worked with a reefer who had everything on his phone. Everything that was happening in his tank came to him on his phone. He could mix and add water from his phone. Show me tons of stuff he could do but I top him just by pulling up my cameras. All the stuff he had and he never even thought of cameras! It was like the equipment was the whole thing.

Second Hand Pat
08-11-2023, 06:31 AM
It's funny that I came from the reefer world to discus. I personally think discus are easier that a reef tank. :D
Pat

brewmaster15
08-11-2023, 07:23 AM
It's funny that I came from the reefer world to discus. I personally think discus are easier that a reef tank. :D
Pat
Lol.. yep. I started with marine fish, but that was so long ago now we really didnt call ourselves reefers.. ..it was more like.. You bought a bunch of live rock, piled it up in the tank and then bought a bunch of expensive salt water fish which were all wild caught ,often with cyanide. .. everything was low tech. Its so much more different today..but back to then.I dropped marine like a hot potatoe when I got my first discus. Pretty much love at first sight.

AL

Overstock Queen
08-11-2023, 01:03 PM
OK! LOL! Yeah my Reef is 9 years old so it's auto pilot.

So I am very lucky. I am friends with the countries leading pleco expert...yeah it's a thing. She used to own a LFS here. She had lots of discus for sale in those days. She used our tap. She told me to stop being stupid and set up the damn tank. So today I went ahead and paid for the tank stand. I'm having one made out of aluminum. One of those fancy strong as a house things.

Water coming into house is 90-110 TDS. PH out of the tap varies but stays relatively consistent at 7.9-8.1. We do not use chlorine or chlorimides here. On rare occasions they have to we get a warning. I would use Prime or Safe to treat water anyway. The hardness of the water is insane though. She assures me this is not an issue. I might use peat in the sump? I don't know.

She suggested no more than 1/2 inch of sand. I might cheat here and use egg crate in the scape for the illusion of depth. We don't do bare bottom around here. We just don't. It will be completely inert. I am growing out some mangroves in my reef tank just for fun. I think I might get them acclimated for fresh water instead and use those in my scape. I am going to use my dragon rock, that I never even looked at just threw in the garage. I got some of those twigs and mopani. I will scape with some Lace Java, rosin maiden crypt, and some flamingo crypt. I also have some petite anubis, like really petite. Also some dwarf hairgrass, that is in no way dwarf as it grows 3 to 5 feet tall. All of these plants are long lived in my other tanks. I won't be using CO2.

I am going to order a python long enough to get to the utility sink. That will make life EASY.

Plans for sump. First chamber, filter cups with poly fill that I will change daily. Then I will use Mattenfilter against the first wall of the sump. And then in front use several layers of Swiss Tropicals foam. Next chamber will be K2. I have never used K2 but it seems a good choice here. I will use one of a million pumps I have laying around to get a nice uniformed roll of the K2. Next sump chamber is a wall that forces water down through media. I will use more layers of Swiss Tropical foam in a finer grade. Last chamber is the return pump. Around the return pump I will use a single layer of ceramic in the long form.

Lighting is SB Planted.

She suggested I get 6 juveniles from Hans (I don't know who this is). So I guess 6? I will get some shrimps. All my shrimps are all cross bred now, so I will start new with some fun warm water loving scrimps. Will probably do rummynose. Enough to get a nice school/shoul however you say it. A zebra pleco.

I use a heater controller on ALL my tanks. Anyone in this hobby without one is crazy. On this controller will be a 300 watt titanium heater. My home is generator backed up, so if we lose power this system's heater and return pump will still function, all my tanks are on their own breaker. A perk of buying a 120 year old home that needed to be updated. Allows you to add crap like that. I will make sure my generator can support another heater and pump. Should not be an issue. I'll have the electrician move that outlet to the tank breaker.

I'm sort of talking out loud here. Anything I missed? Any suggestions, (not barebottom) LOL!

I have oodles of equipment. Just tons. I even have canister filters. However the tank is drilled and rimmed, THICK TWO INCH ALUMINUM FRAME. Custom Brands aquariums build these damn things like tanks. The glass is an inch thick! I don't however have an overflow box yet. Given they don't need a ton of movement I am going to buy one that's rated less than I would reef.

I guess after the stand has shipped and I assembled it, I will start a build thread so you all can watch a fail in real time.

One more thing, a dude in our reef group has discus. He might even be in this forum. If crap goes south, I can rehome to him right quick. NO LOSSES ON MY WATCH DAMMNIT!

brewmaster15
08-11-2023, 02:46 PM
OK! LOL! Yeah my Reef is 9 years old so it's auto pilot.

So I am very lucky. I am friends with the countries leading pleco expert...yeah it's a thing. She used to own a LFS here. She had lots of discus for sale in those days. She used our tap. She told me to stop being stupid and set up the damn tank. So today I went ahead and paid for the tank stand. I'm having one made out of aluminum. One of those fancy strong as a house things.

Water coming into house is 90-110 TDS. PH out of the tap varies but stays relatively consistent at 7.9-8.1. We do not use chlorine or chlorimides here. On rare occasions they have to we get a warning. I would use Prime or Safe to treat water anyway. The hardness of the water is insane though. She assures me this is not an issue. I might use peat in the sump? I don't know.

She suggested no more than 1/2 inch of sand. I might cheat here and use egg crate in the scape for the illusion of depth. We don't do bare bottom around here. We just don't. It will be completely inert. I am growing out some mangroves in my reef tank just for fun. I think I might get them acclimated for fresh water instead and use those in my scape. I am going to use my dragon rock, that I never even looked at just threw in the garage. I got some of those twigs and mopani. I will scape with some Lace Java, rosin maiden crypt, and some flamingo crypt. I also have some petite anubis, like really petite. Also some dwarf hairgrass, that is in no way dwarf as it grows 3 to 5 feet tall. All of these plants are long lived in my other tanks. I won't be using CO2.

I am going to order a python long enough to get to the utility sink. That will make life EASY.

Plans for sump. First chamber, filter cups with poly fill that I will change daily. Then I will use Mattenfilter against the first wall of the sump. And then in front use several layers of Swiss Tropicals foam. Next chamber will be K2. I have never used K2 but it seems a good choice here. I will use one of a million pumps I have laying around to get a nice uniformed roll of the K2. Next sump chamber is a wall that forces water down through media. I will use more layers of Swiss Tropical foam in a finer grade. Last chamber is the return pump. Around the return pump I will use a single layer of ceramic in the long form.

Lighting is SB Planted.

She suggested I get 6 juveniles from Hans (I don't know who this is). So I guess 6? I will get some shrimps. All my shrimps are all cross bred now, so I will start new with some fun warm water loving scrimps. Will probably do rummynose. Enough to get a nice school/shoul however you say it. A zebra pleco.

I use a heater controller on ALL my tanks. Anyone in this hobby without one is crazy. On this controller will be a 300 watt titanium heater. My home is generator backed up, so if we lose power this system's heater and return pump will still function, all my tanks are on their own breaker. A perk of buying a 120 year old home that needed to be updated. Allows you to add crap like that. I will make sure my generator can support another heater and pump. Should not be an issue. I'll have the electrician move that outlet to the tank breaker.

I'm sort of talking out loud here. Anything I missed? Any suggestions, (not barebottom) LOL!

I have oodles of equipment. Just tons. I even have canister filters. However the tank is drilled and rimmed, THICK TWO INCH ALUMINUM FRAME. Custom Brands aquariums build these damn things like tanks. The glass is an inch thick! I don't however have an overflow box yet. Given they don't need a ton of movement I am going to buy one that's rated less than I would reef.

I guess after the stand has shipped and I assembled it, I will start a build thread so you all can watch a fail in real time.

One more thing, a dude in our reef group has discus. He might even be in this forum. If crap goes south, I can rehome to him right quick. NO LOSSES ON MY WATCH DAMMNIT!

I'm glad you will be giving it a go! A few notes

The dragon rock is best used on other tanks..Discus can get skittish , especially when they are dealing with a new owner and training them,..They may scrape themselves on the rock.

Tom can probably help you on the sump questions, I am not qualified there.

Not questioning your pleco expert, I think it cool that she helped you decide to try them, but I'd think twice on the juvies from Hans. Getting his fish is fine, but until you nail down what you will be doing for water changes, I would lean more towards a few adult discus. Hans...https://discusfishstore.com/ Great Guy and been in the hobby a really long time. We also have a great group of sponsors here.

You may want to check out this video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXe3VKh7qF8

I am told its been helpful to others.. warning, its LOONNNNGG.

Overstock Queen
08-11-2023, 04:08 PM
I was thinking 100% a week. This is because if I can use tap water it will be easy to fit it in to my normal daily schedule. The hang up was having to make water and all that jazz. OK so the rock stays in the garage. Maybe the twigs too. The wood is pretty awesome and no sharp edges. I just need something to stick the plants to. I don't watch anything from Joey. I don't want to start anything but he is the last place I am willing to take advice from.

fljones3
08-11-2023, 04:22 PM
It is not Joey. It is a presentation from Al on discus. Joey just introduces it.
Helpful presentation.

Iminit
08-11-2023, 04:33 PM
Welcome back :D!! Hope it wasn’t something I said :).

Ok you’re doing a lot inthe sump. Remember you’re still going to be changing water. Going with juveniles look at daily 50-90% water changes. There’s nothing cheap about juveniles. Tons more work and no guarantee you get what you ordered. My advice buy the biggest you can afford. These will be strong healthy discus. You’re saving all the money you’d be spending on food and water changes. Yes you’ll need to feed those little guys 6x a day!!
As to the sump you don’t need the floss in the socks. Just clean the socks with every water change. The matten filter are sponge right? I’d add one big enough that the water has to go through it. The k2 they say is great. Th Swiss stuff is sponge? And ceramics in the end is fine though I’m starting to think they’re worthless.

Willie
08-11-2023, 08:19 PM
Experienced reef keepers have a much harder adjustment to successfully keeping discus. Reefs require a ton of expensive equipment and restraint (don't add anything) is critical for success. Discus requires virtually no equipment (a sponge filter and a heater) and huge amount of sweat equity. You can't keep reefs healthy with a sponge filter and a heater. Similarly, all that reef stuff cannot keep healthy discus. Discus keepers spend all our money on the fish, not much else.

In many ways, the proposed plan seem to pick the single most difficult approach in every respect. No water changes, but with a sand substrate and lots of vegetation. How would the water stay clean? Discus come from soft, low pH water in the Amazon, with virtually no bacterial activity. Salinity aside, soft water is extremely different than ocean water. Mattenfilters are incredible for biological filtration, but cleaning them will disrupt the entire tank. If you don't clean them, then how would the water stay clean?

Just like discus, zebra plecos are advanced fish. Advanced means expensive and impossible to keep alive without making changes to adapt to their needs. Having raised both successfully, I can assure you that these two cannot be successfully maintained together. The zebras may live for 6 - 9 months before they fade away, at $200 a pop. Also, adding angels are problematic. Many of the experienced discus keepers have learned not to do this.

Sorry, but it has to be said.

pitdogg2
08-11-2023, 08:32 PM
Heck I was doing 90% water changes a day.....
I hope that doesn't freak the OP out 😬

Overstock Queen
08-12-2023, 02:06 PM
Experienced reef keepers have a much harder adjustment to successfully keeping discus. Reefs require a ton of expensive equipment and restraint (don't add anything) is critical for success. Discus requires virtually no equipment (a sponge filter and a heater) and huge amount of sweat equity. You can't keep reefs healthy with a sponge filter and a heater. Similarly, all that reef stuff cannot keep healthy discus. Discus keepers spend all our money on the fish, not much else.

In many ways, the proposed plan seem to pick the single most difficult approach in every respect. No water changes, but with a sand substrate and lots of vegetation. How would the water stay clean? Discus come from soft, low pH water in the Amazon, with virtually no bacterial activity. Salinity aside, soft water is extremely different than ocean water. Mattenfilters are incredible for biological filtration, but cleaning them will disrupt the entire tank. If you don't clean them, then how would the water stay clean?

Just like discus, zebra plecos are advanced fish. Advanced means expensive and impossible to keep alive without making changes to adapt to their needs. Having raised both successfully, I can assure you that these two cannot be successfully maintained together. The zebras may live for 6 - 9 months before they fade away, at $200 a pop. Also, adding angels are problematic. Many of the experienced discus keepers have learned not to do this.

Sorry, but it has to be said.

I don't think you fully read my past posts or you didn't understand. Or you just knee jerked. I understand that, this hobby is full of that. I'm not just a reef keeper. I also have a 700 gallon pond, currently 4 planted tanks, one reef, several shrimp tanks, and two breeding tanks. The reason I am using the equipment I mentioned; that is geared "reef" is because it's what I have on hand. Like you said, I want to spend my money on the fish. Not equipment. Sponge filters are amazing. I use them in all three of my shrimp tanks and my breeding tanks. I would love to not have to use a crap ton of sponges and filtration in the sump. I even mentioned I have tons of canisters if people thought that was the route to go. That would really keep things clean and tidy. The sump adds a bit of ease to keeping the discus healthy. It's easy to clean and change as I adapt to the fishes needs. I already said angels are out. My first post I was worried about the water changes, I admitted that freely. And after advice here, and locally I have learned tap is more than ok. One of our local fish stores has them spawning in our local water. I'm offended you think I am not going to take the advice. Yes I will be doing water changes. Yes I am going to put sand in the tank. I understand the concern. That is the only thing I am unwilling to budge on. So maybe I deserve your ire there. I hardly think it will be my undoing. As for the plants, I'm not some mom that goes to petco on the weekends for her 2 gallon betta bowl with her ball of algae. So don't get it twisted Willie. And I hardly call easy to grow low light java and crypt "LOTS OF VEGETATION" LOL don't even go there. Look, if you think the fish is going to see a plant and die right then and there then I won't throw some plants in there. If the concern is the plant will die I got 200 gallons more of those. If zebras don't work then I won't do it. Simple as that.

If you guys say I don't want juveniles then you are right. I will buy big healthy adults. I will do water changes everyday. What I need now is advice on how to get started. The tank is sitting on the floor right now in an unfinished room. Hell the stand won't even be here until Sept. I'm hardly rushing into this.

The reason Willie you got me heated is I am not the one you need to come for. I know I am a noob here, rare territory for me, but I am trying to make it clear I am open to advice. Yes, I use sarcasm and I'm flippant, but I am willing to learn. Now let's have a beer and do some water changes.

Photo for the tax.

I am watching that video now. Thank you.

Iminit
08-12-2023, 02:41 PM
Lola! I’m glad you’re going to give it a try. I’d say many to all are glad you’re moving ahead. It’s great when an accomplished keeper come on board. Thing is here and on other sites I read so many who don’t want to do the work and think equipment will make it easy. Discus are easy. They really are. Clean new water and good food. Buy fish from good sellers. Buy as big as you can when starting. 4.5-6”. This just starts you in the right direction. You’ve already said you’re on board with that :). Hey the sand well that’s up to you. Many paint the outside bottom a sand color. Looks great! No mater with bare bottom you’ve got to cover the bottom or you’ll get reflections.

Next you will need a 40-50g qt tank. Someplace to move a sick discus or a stressed discus. Also you may want to put all your newly bought discus into this tank to prepare them for the main tank. Its some much easier to watch them in the qt for the first 4 weeks. Water changing is easier cause you’re changing less. Gives them a month for them to get used to your water.

Beautiful planted tank! Nicely scaped!

For the tax :). My 180 with wet/dry136138

Willie
08-12-2023, 03:18 PM
...So don't get it twisted Willie....

I reread my own post and there were no words that can be construed as an attack on you or anyone else. I would never use terms like 'knee jerked' or 'twisted'
to describe anyone in the forum, nor do I try to 'twist' anyone's comments. You asked for an assessment of your approach and I provided it.

LizStreithorst
08-12-2023, 06:01 PM
I read it, to. I think the OP may have overreacted just a bit. Lola, nobody here means you harm.

Overstock Queen
08-12-2023, 07:07 PM
I'm fat, old, and I don't have time for the debbie downers. Crap if I wanted that I would go to fish tank talk. So I 100% stand by my words. Trust me no one can harm me I worked in hospitality for 20 years.

I have decided against the plants. Maybe in the future I might consider it.

I am also might reconsider the sand.

I tested my tap water today. The municipal water report is from last month so I thought I would compare notes. I think you can email and get more current. TDS with two inline and one had held all say 74. That is a good day the norm is the nineties. KH was 6.1. PH 8.0. Ammonia was a solid 1ppm using API and Salifert. They were in agreement, and Nitrates were 10. The city's report is close, they are reading arsenic which is the norm because we have an aquafer. Arsenic is naturally occurring. It's at levels so low I can't hardly comprehend it. My RO unit removes it. I haven't used tap in years so I am nervous. The local people here keep telling me not to be. So I guess I will just go with it.

I didn't even consider a QT. I have a 55 for the koi. But its set up in the garage and would be the death of discus since I can't regulate heat. I'll have to ponder on that.

I have to go to Seattle. Is there somewhere there that might have discus to check out?

LizStreithorst
08-12-2023, 07:35 PM
A lot of us are old farts here. I'm not fat but I'm old and bent with degenerative disc disease. Really. Ammonia and nitrates as they stand might be a problem if you took your readings from your tap water. You want 0 from ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Did you take a nitrite reading? If the readings are you took are from an already established tank the readings might be OK. For a Discus tank you need ammonia and nitrites at 0 and nitrates between 5 and 10. Hope that helps. I live in the Southeast Can't help you with suppliers in that area the Seattle.

brewmaster15
08-12-2023, 07:44 PM
I'm fat, old, and I don't have time for the debbie downers. Crap if I wanted that I would go to fish tank talk. So I 100% stand by my words. Trust me no one can harm me I worked in hospitality for 20 years.

I have decided against the plants. Maybe in the future I might consider it.

I am also might reconsider the sand.

I tested my tap water today. The municipal water report is from last month so I thought I would compare notes. I think you can email and get more current. TDS with two inline and one had held all say 74. That is a good day the norm is the nineties. KH was 6.1. PH 8.0. Ammonia was a solid 1ppm using API and Salifert. They were in agreement, and Nitrates were 10. The city's report is close, they are reading arsenic which is the norm because we have an aquafer. Arsenic is naturally occurring. It's at levels so low I can't hardly comprehend it. My RO unit removes it. I haven't used tap in years so I am nervous. The local people here keep telling me not to be. So I guess I will just go with it.

I didn't even consider a QT. I have a 55 for the koi. But its set up in the garage and would be the death of discus since I can't regulate heat. I'll have to ponder on that.

I have to go to Seattle. Is there somewhere there that might have discus to check out?

On your water.. you can give yourselve piece of mind by running your water through the sediment and carbon block of your Ro water filter....the carbon will remove up to 70% of any arsenic.. just hook it up with out the r/o membrane.

If you have an outlet for that 55 gal tank.. alls you need for qt is a heater and air driven sponge filters or hang on back filters.. nothing fancy. I WOULD ADVISE AT LEAST 6 WEEKS QT.
AL

brewmaster15
08-12-2023, 07:53 PM
Can you post your water report? Does it show ammonia? 1 PPM in your test is unusual.. Its not common to have ammonia in your tap water... nitrates yes.(10ppm in municipal water is high).. but ammonia that is in water is usually from water that treated by the municipality with chloramines...its a break down component.

brewmaster15
08-17-2023, 09:45 AM
Still with us? Hopefully we didn't chase you away.:(
Al

farebox
08-17-2023, 07:25 PM
I would like to chime in on this thread. First, your sump design looks similar to the one I'm using, a Trigger system Crytal 30 for my 125-gallon discus tank. Second, I feel that you should re-think the bio-media you plan to use. Have you figured out how to contain the K-2 media in its chamber when you turn off your return pump, the water level in the sump will rise. Second, all this matten filter will block the flow into the middle chamber. I would just use the bio-media of your choice in media bags for the first and second chambers. My sump setup consists of a 200-micron filter sock and three bags of Seachem Matrix in the first chamber, three bags of Bio-home Ultimate, and nothing thereafter in the third chamber. Good luck with your tank and fish. Highly recommend getting your discus from one of the sponsors here on SD, trust me on this, you will avoid a lot of problems associated with these fish first starting out regardless of what you have done in the past.