PDA

View Full Version : Moving a discus pair into a community tank

solasis
08-25-2023, 05:21 AM
Hey everyone! So I have a pair of F2 red batatas in their own tank for awhile now.. 7ish months. It is a 40 breeder. They raised one group of fry which I am still caring for in a separate tank. The pair spawns weekly but I keep them in tap so no eggs hatch. Otherwise I have my display tank that is 180 gallons.. around 14 adult discus with some other compatible discus tank mates. I don't plan to raise another group of fry for at least 6 months.. maybe longer.

So I am wondering, would it be beneficial for the pair to move them into the large display tank for the extra room and socialization? Or will it potentially cause stress since they spawn weekly and would then feel the need to defend their eggs in the community tank? And do I run the risk of "breaking the bond" by introducing many other discus that they might pair off with instead?

brewmaster15
08-25-2023, 09:35 AM
Carter, If you don't plan on raising more for awhile move them back. Its not really healthy for her to keep laying.It uses alot of resources. The pair may split up and you may have some other male step in but in a big tank like that with that many discus she will hopefully just loose the urge to breed. You will probably stress the pair out briefly but its probably best if not breeding them to return them in the hopes they rest. You can always put them together again.
Hth,
Al

solasis
08-25-2023, 07:40 PM
Carter, If you don't plan on raising more for awhile move them back. Its not really healthy for her to keep laying.It uses alot of resources. The pair may split up and you may have some other male step in but in a big tank like that with that many discus she will hopefully just loose the urge to breed. You will probably stress the pair out briefly but its probably best if not breeding them to return them in the hopes they rest. You can always put them together again.
Hth,
Al

Thanks Al. Just moved them over!

brewmaster15
08-29-2023, 08:33 AM
Hey Carter,
How did the move go? Did they settle in ok?

Al

Bart_NL
08-30-2023, 02:55 PM
I have had a 'adolescent' couple of Blue diamond and Red gold diamond separate for 3.5 months now, they hatched 4 times but no real success then I found out they had worms and after treating them nothing seems to happen.

I think I'll move them back to the community tank as well, the female still has white poo I think they are unhappy in this white cubicle with no other life surrounding them ?

brewmaster15
08-30-2023, 03:17 PM
BART,
I would not move them back if their feces is white.. .. you probably should consider there are other issues than worms here.. maybe start a thread in the disease board and we can go over everything on these fish including the meds and doses you have used. WHITE feces is often a sign of protozoans or a bacterial infection... either one you really dont want to spread.

Al

Bart_NL
08-30-2023, 03:31 PM
I guess that would be something to worry about, but both of these couples and the rest of them in the community tank have all been treated with Manaus octocil (bacterial infections) and bilocil (worms) as suggested by the breeder. What else would you suggest i do ?
The female (red) has had white poo since she moved from the community tank to the breeding tank, the breeder suggested it is probably just stress.

I'll do a bit more research and consult the breeder again, I have already sent him a message, thanks for the warning !

brewmaster15
08-30-2023, 03:51 PM
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?139969-Breeding-discus-with-only-2-tanks