PDA

View Full Version : Admit it.. you dropped your phone into a tank

brewmaster15
10-01-2023, 10:11 AM
Admit it.. you dropped your phone into a tank.

I admit it.. I think I have probably done it at least 3-4 times..

Just had a close call this morning..slipped out of my hand and bounced off the tank rim.

I can't possibly be the only one..heck I bet a few of you have dropped it in the toilet . I havent done that yet.

Al

jeep
10-01-2023, 04:03 PM
Nope, not ever. However, my cat made his way into the tank one time...

Second Hand Pat
10-01-2023, 04:23 PM
Actually I haven't Al :D Not once :D
Pat

Charlyc11
10-01-2023, 04:42 PM
Water proof, but no not in the tank.

brewmaster15
10-01-2023, 05:39 PM
Really? No way! I can't possibly be the only one to have their phone swim with the fishes.

brewmaster15
10-01-2023, 05:51 PM
A DEEP Dive into the forum archives..
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?57544-Cell-phones-are-not-water-proof/page2&highlight=Phone+got+wet

At least Jack Taylor knows the feeling... I am sure others do.

brady
10-01-2023, 07:51 PM
First of all I don't own a cell phone, secondly why would you need to be holding an
I phone while doing a w/c? Totally beyond me.
Jay

brewmaster15
10-01-2023, 08:20 PM
First of all I don't own a cell phone, secondly why would you need to be holding an
I phone while doing a w/c? Totally beyond me.
Jay
Gee Jay How the heck do you think I find the time to answer everyones posts and questions. Multi-tasking comes with certain risks my friend.

fljones3
10-01-2023, 08:29 PM
Ha! Never dropped my phone in the tank. :)

brewmaster15
10-01-2023, 09:12 PM
Alright obviously I am not getting the sympathetic response I was hoping for so lets broaden the scope of admission. Have you ever dropped anything in your fishtank or had anything fall in your fishtank. Like Brian I have had several cats fall in. ..amazingly its only once per cat. My old bud Darwin was walking once along the top.of our 55 gal bedroom tank and I warned him.. "Dude, your gonna fall in and regret that " and "SPLASH! " The plastic lid broke and for a moment half a cat was in the tank and he had a look of terror on his face..next thing I know hes halfway across the room leaving a trail of water. He never walked on a tank again. No discus were injured.

CliffsDiscus
10-01-2023, 09:43 PM
Yes, I admit dropped out from my shirt pocket.

Vanman
10-01-2023, 09:51 PM
Never have I ever dropped a phone in a tank. I have dropped one from a ten foot ladder on a concrete floor. Just picked it up and went about my business. Of course I use a ruggedized flip phone and catch a lot of grief for not having the latest and greatest smart phone.

brewmaster15
10-01-2023, 10:55 PM
Yes, I admit dropped out from my shirt pocket.

Thank you Cliff!

Charlyc11
10-02-2023, 06:46 AM
Ok I use my phone to turn on everything in my tanks since I use WIFI power strips so I am holding the phone all the time when I am doing maintenance in the fish room. It powers my aging tank pumps heaters sump pump filters and lights. But no I never drop it in the tank, some close calls yes. My smart watch that's another story, I keep forgetting that I have it on so it's been in the tanks many times. But its also water proof so the swimming app turns on. Lol

holderman19
10-02-2023, 07:42 AM
Nope not yet...but i plan on it someday to get pics from inside the tank

AquaticNerd
10-02-2023, 07:57 AM
I've been lucky enough to not have dropped my phone into an aquarium - YET. With all the tech making its way into the hobby (aquarium controllers, heater controllers, smart plugs, etc) I fully expect it to happen more frequently.

With that said - my phone did take a fairly deep swim in an in-ground pool once. :D

Adamski77
10-03-2023, 08:24 AM
I’m normally taking pictures from front … so kind of safe behind the glass but my equipment goes wild from time to time… scissor, vacuum cleaner (aquarium version of course :) ), others go quite often in as well

Tshethar
10-03-2023, 10:36 PM
Closest I have ever come is taking my phone swimming with me in the pocket of my bathing suit at the beach. That didn't go too well. These days maybe they can take a few seconds of fresh water... Hope not to find out!

brewmaster15
10-04-2023, 01:28 PM
Closest I have ever come is taking my phone swimming with me in the pocket of my bathing suit at the beach. That didn't go too well. These days maybe they can take a few seconds of fresh water... Hope not to find out!

Bill you may appreciate this story.. Happened last October....its a cut and paste from a text I sent my sister.

Sharing a story here. You probably know that I hate iphones. .. thats not news but I respect them a bit more now. Last night Carrie and I were at the beach at hammonasette and It was getting dark. I saw a smart phone sticking out if the sand .. wet sand from high tide.. It was an iphone 11 . Not likely garbage on the beach I picked it up.. water poured put of its protective case. We took it home and of course it was dead.. I figure the ocean destroyed it. . On a whim I took it out of tge case and wiped it off. I then put it in a food dehydrator for a few hours. . In the morning.I hooked up an iphone charger and omg.. the battery was dead but it was charging! Once charged I was able to turn on the phone and it worked fine. The owner did not have a lock and I was able to contact him through his contact list. He just came by with his kids and got the phone. He was overwhelmed. The phone had tons of pics and vids of his kids on it that had not been saved to the cloud. Pretty cool huh? Whats amazing though is that phone was lost to the ocean on sept 19th. He was taking vids of his kids there swimming and a wave came and he dropped his phone into the ocean. That phone has been in and out of the ocean for over 3 weeks. Im amazed . .. but whats really cool is that this guy got his precious pics and vids back after thinking they were gone.. he was so happy.

Discus Fever
10-04-2023, 08:38 PM
I must admit that I haven't dropped my phone in any of my fish tanks yet but have come close many times. I have avoided the toilet too. Lol

NeptuneNomad
10-04-2023, 10:00 PM
Nope not yet...but i plan on it someday to get pics from inside the tank

Oooh! Remember to post it when you do. That sounds like a cool idea haha

Tshethar
10-04-2023, 11:28 PM
Bill you may appreciate this story.. Happened last October....its a cut and paste from a text I sent my sister.

That's an amazing story, Al. Makes me think I might have given up too easily, as I just put my phone in a bag of uncooked rice for a while, though it was an iphone 6 if I remember correctly. The new ones probably do better...

That's pretty cool that you were able to connect with the guy and help him preserve some family memories.

You would think I would have learned my lesson from that but year before last I made the mistake of going in the water with my glasses on... All was going fine but then my son wanted me to body surf with him... not big waves (lower cape, Nantucket sound) but sure enough a secondary one caught me as I was getting up in knee deep water and they got knocked off.

Searched for at least half an hour... never found them but actually found a pair of cheap sunglasses in the sand underwater. Didn't have anyone to give them to, though...