PDA

View Full Version : The old stuff.. gear you wish they still made

brewmaster15
10-03-2023, 08:36 PM
I have a need for a canister filter, something I haven't used in ages. I got to thinking of one of my favorites.. marineland magnum 350. I had a few of these and their smaller sister..

Just for kicks I looked on ebay for a used one and found a brand new one..

Not every day you see these anymore but wow its appreciated quite a bit! I wish they still made these.

Another one I miss is Bag buddies by Jungle . What an incredible product! I shipped a ton of fish with these. They haven't been made in years.but a few sellers are still selling new old stock. I have one bottle with about 30 tablets in it.. not sure if any good but I sure wish they still made them.

Any fish keeping gear you wish they still made?

Al

Vanman
10-03-2023, 09:23 PM
I wish I could get a System One DE filter. I loved it 30 years ago. It would clear up a tank in no time.

CliffsDiscus
10-03-2023, 10:14 PM
I still have some of those Bag Buddies. Someone called me a couple days ago looking for Cloud and Fluke Tab.

Tshethar
10-03-2023, 10:52 PM
I use to have one of those Magnums, and a 330 before they came out with the 350! Always ran it with the micron cartridge rather than the one that held carbon. Never did have one of the H.O.T. models...

Here's another thing you might remember. I didn't own one but my boss at the LFS always used some diatom powder in a portable cartridge-style pool pump he used to polish tanks he would service, both in the store and for local clients...

brewmaster15
10-03-2023, 11:07 PM
I use to have one of those Magnums, and a 330 before they came out with the 350! Always ran it with the micron cartridge rather than the one that held carbon. Never did have one of the H.O.T. models...

Here's another thing you might remember. I didn't own one but my boss at the LFS always used some diatom powder in a portable cartridge-style pool pump he used to polish tanks he would service, both in the store and for local clients...

I had one of those!:) I was just trying to remember its name after Gary's post. Thanks Bill!

Iminit
10-03-2023, 11:23 PM
Vortex were the best for their time. But how many times did you get the de all over the tank. Stuff was as light as air. Polishing water has went out the window. Most never even heard of it. About 10 yrs ago I got a magnum max with a pleated filter for polishing. No de the filter was that good of a weave it would remove everything. Havnt used it in years though.

brewmaster15
10-04-2023, 12:50 AM
The vortex were great filters.. but yep could make a mess. They were awesome at removing fine particles and could turn a tank from green to clean overnight.

I think I had a few of those Magnum HOTs that worked well.

Al

Tshethar
10-04-2023, 11:48 PM
I started with an undergravel filter, a penguin powerhead, and a Whisper II hang-on-back for polishing... then got the Magnums...

After doing marine tanks for a while and running wet/dry with sumps, I used those on my first freshwater setups prior to discus. This was a little before people had figured out ways of quieting the drains on them, and later on I was trying to figure out the quietest good filtration I could have in the living/dining room... got into Eheim canisters and one that I picked up used on Ebay is still sitting short of one part in my shed.

Anyone else ever use one of these?

The Eheim wet/dry canister, 2229, all biological filtration. If I could have found that part I needed I might well have broken it out for the 125 I'm working on...

brewmaster15
10-05-2023, 04:41 AM
I started with an undergravel filter, a penguin powerhead, and a Whisper II hang-on-back for polishing... then got the Magnums...

After doing marine tanks for a while and running wet/dry with sumps, I used those on my first freshwater setups prior to discus. This was a little before people had figured out ways of quieting the drains on them, and later on I was trying to figure out the quietest good filtration I could have in the living/dining room... got into Eheim canisters and one that I picked up used on Ebay is still sitting short of one part in my shed.

Anyone else ever use one of these?

The Eheim wet/dry canister, 2229, all biological filtration. If I could have found that part I needed I might well have broken it out for the 125 I'm working on...

Bill you may want to search for that part now..internet technology being what it is now.. theres 2229 parts on ebay,amazon, and sites like...

https://www.eheim-service.de/epages/63917443.mobile/en_GB/?ViewAction=View&ObjectID=72056446&PageSize=5&Page=7
Al

jeep
10-05-2023, 01:56 PM
This one is the best! I still have one...

I think I had a few of those Magnum HOTs that worked well.

Al

LizStreithorst
10-05-2023, 02:15 PM
I loved those old magnum 250's. Miss the bag buddies, too.

Tshethar
10-05-2023, 04:58 PM
Bill you may want to search for that part now..internet technology being what it is now.. theres 2229 parts on ebay,amazon, and sites like...

https://www.eheim-service.de/epages/63917443.mobile/en_GB/?ViewAction=View&ObjectID=72056446&PageSize=5&Page=7
Al

Thanks, Al! I appreciate you scouring the net for me on this one... I did some of the same in the last month or two and the thing that has kept me from pulling the trigger is mainly the shipping and VAT costs. What I need is part 7344968... it's the upper part of the interval controller and I found it's really easy to crack when disassembling... cracked two of them now in the years I was running it. I might consider pulling the trigger again because it holds a ton of biological material and doesn't collect sediment (no floss, sponges, etc). It's designed to be used with a prefilter on the intake and is good for gas exchange.

Admittedly, it does have a number of o-rings and such so it has leak potential but it was kind of a cool find. Thing is, I originally bought it used for $89 (though without media) and now getting the one part I need delivered from Germany looks like it will cost me $87. I dunno, I'm still tempted... (There's a part of me that likes trying to play with and optimize the gear, even though another part of me knows it's basically a fool's errand.)

brewmaster15
10-05-2023, 05:09 PM
Bill do you still have the cracked part? JB weld works wonders. Better than duct tape even.:)

brewmaster15
10-05-2023, 05:17 PM

Ebay

Will it work?

Tshethar
10-05-2023, 07:43 PM
Thanks for the PM on that, Al... I had seen that listing but that is the bottom half and I need the top... however, I do have the top part and it is a hairline crack that is just enough to create a drip... I did not know about JB weld. I can't remember now what I might have tried. Maybe gorilla glue or epoxy... open to ideas for sealing some curved Eheim plastic.

brewmaster15
10-05-2023, 08:49 PM
Definitely check out JB Weld.. theres alot of formulations

Ive also used regular 6min setting one to fix my aquaclear 110s and lift tubes. They also make a water weld thats good.

JB weld is a god send to a diy er

Adamski77
10-05-2023, 10:04 PM
30 years ago I used to have this gravel vacuum… simple glass shaped, operating with simple air pump… could do magic in 10 minutes. Was trying to find this stuff when back to the hobby now but apparently nobody produces it anymore. Just fancy ones with pump incorporated in the device… bought 5 of them… kind of all useless ;)

brewmaster15
10-06-2023, 09:33 AM
30 years ago I used to have this gravel vacuum… simple glass shaped, operating with simple air pump… could do magic in 10 minutes. Was trying to find this stuff when back to the hobby now but apparently nobody produces it anymore. Just fancy ones with pump incorporated in the device… bought 5 of them… kind of all useless ;)

I'm trying to picture how that pump worked and what it looked like Adam, but drawing a blank. I don't think I ever had one of these.

something like this?

al

Charlyc11
10-06-2023, 09:41 AM

I have one sitting in my garage. Can't get the replacement filter bag anymore I use the same media in my pool filter. In the old days when I first got into fish keeping I used it all the time they, were great. No need for it anymore my tanks are always crystal clear but my wife's turtle could benefit from it.

Adamski77
10-07-2023, 04:15 AM
I'm trying to picture how that pump worked and what it looked like Adam, but drawing a blank. I don't think I ever had one of these.

something like this?

al

Al... not quite... but one picture worth a thousand words... so I drew one :). The beauty of this was that it was using air to move stuff through, once you dialed-in your air pressure correctly this thing would not move substrate up almost at all... even if you burry it in (maybe shape was also helping... it was more like a bell than standard cylinder used today. Also had convenient bag for waste through which water (clean) was going back in. Today's devices don't operate the same way anymore.

brewmaster15
10-07-2023, 10:26 AM
Adam its an interesting design. I have never seen anything like it though.

Al

wsantia1
02-18-2024, 01:19 PM
I had one of those!:) I was just trying to remember its name after Gary's post. Thanks Bill!

I still have a fully functioning Vortex Diatom XL and at least 3 Hot Mags in working condition and while I haven't use the Diatom in a couple of years, I use the Hot Mags regularly on my non Discus tanks. I was able to get the media inserts on Amazon.

jeep
02-18-2024, 01:27 PM
My hot mag now has badly decreased water flow even with the cartridge removed. It pumps the water out just fine but won't take it in. All I can think of is the impeller, but it looks and sounds fine but I can't even find the impeller for it now. If I ever come across another one I'll buy it up! It's the best filter ever made for polishing the water...

LizStreithorst
02-18-2024, 04:31 PM
My hot mag now has badly decreased water flow even with the cartridge removed. It pumps the water out just fine but won't take it in. All I can think of is the impeller, but it looks and sounds fine but I can't even find the impeller for it now. If I ever come across another one I'll buy it up! It's the best filter ever made for polishing the water...

I totally agree.

Willie
02-19-2024, 11:09 AM
I totally agree.

I regret selling several H.O.T. Magnum filters when I downsized.

jpm995
03-23-2024, 01:13 PM
I think i still have a Vortex diatim filter someware. If i can find it i may hook it back up in my Greenhouse pond. I used to use it on all my tanks nothing was better at getting the water crystal clear. I wish they still made these.

brewmaster15
03-27-2024, 08:01 PM
Not so much gear..but god I miss Bag Buddies.. those pills made shipping fish so easy. I cried when they were discontinued.

Fluke Tabs and clout.. another 2 that I wish we still had availible.