PDA

View Full Version : how would the fry look, having these parents?

Bigdave
10-27-2023, 11:47 PM
first time this pair had fry, now I'm curious if anyone bred a pair like them and how did the fry turn out?

Bigdave
10-28-2023, 12:20 AM
let me rephrase if I may, how would the fry look as adults coming from this pair?

brewmaster15
10-28-2023, 12:45 AM
Dave thats a hard question to answer. We really need sp.e more info on the two fish.

First

General assumption here.. one is albino and one not.. none will be albino but all will carry albino. That changes if the non albino is hetero for albino...meaning its got recessive genes for albino. IF HETERO then you will get some albinos and some not albino

Are they both Alenquers ? Or both the same strain? If so they will look similar to the parents.

They are an interesting pair I would think the fry to be nice fish.

Bigdave
10-28-2023, 03:50 AM
Dave thats a hard question to answer. We really need sp.e more info on the two fish.

First

General assumption here.. one is albino and one not.. none will be albino but all will carry albino. That changes if the non albino is hetero for albino...meaning its got recessive genes for albino. IF HETERO then you will get some albinos and some not albino

Are they both Alenquers ? Or both the same strain? If so they will look similar to the parents.

They are an interesting pair I would think the fry to be nice fish.

thank you for your reply, I really don't know much about them. the brown is the female and an impulse buy when I spotted it at a mom an pop local petshop, they had it labeled as a rose red, it was all red and 3 inches when I bought it and it completely changed as it grew and the yellow albino male I bought from an online breeder who said it was a yellow panda and it was solid yellow also at 3 inches when I purchased it and to my surprise at all the beautiful markings it developed as it matured. that's all I know about them. seems like both places didn't know what they had. leaving me totally stumped.

brewmaster15
10-28-2023, 05:43 AM
Sounds like you got lucky. Both fish sound like they were treated with hormones at some point. Usually what happens when young fish loose colors like that. It will be interesting to see what the fry turn out as. If the male is an albino yellow panda the fry may be peppered (pandas
are often pigeon based ). When you cross pigeon to none pigeon it can lead to dirty looking fry. How these fry turn out can help you figure out more about the parents. Please post updates as they grow...

I like that female alot btw. Sharp looking fish.

Bigdave
10-28-2023, 09:36 AM
Sounds like you got lucky. Both fish sound like they were treated with hormones at some point. Usually what happens when young fish loose colors like that. It will be interesting to see what the fry turn out as. If the male is an albino yellow panda the fry may be peppered (pandas
are often pigeon based ). When you cross pigeon to none pigeon it can lead to dirty looking fry. How these fry turn out can help you figure out more about the parents. Please post updates as they grow...

I like that female alot btw. Sharp looking fish.

thank you and as of now non of the babies showing no signs of peppering, their all clean. guess I also got lucky there as well. I will post pictures of the babies. their big and just starting to show yellow hues and some white pearls along the rims of their fins. 3 out of the batch I can tell will have the females brown color

Iminit
10-28-2023, 02:20 PM
Congrats Dave! No clue what the fry will look like but you will have fun growing them out! Par for the course! Don’t think any sellers know what they will look like at 3”. Bought a solid red with blue halo at Monster a little while back. This is it now137012

CliffsDiscus
10-28-2023, 02:39 PM
The fry look more brown, but without knowing their background no one can tell. Local pet store can't tell only if they bought the Discus directly from a local breeder.

Cliff

Bigdave
10-28-2023, 07:56 PM
Congrats Dave! No clue what the fry will look like but you will have fun growing them out! Par for the course! Don’t think any sellers know what they will look like at 3”. Bought a solid red with blue halo at Monster a little while back. This is it now137012

thank you, yes it amazes me how discus can change colors so drasticly from young to mature, nice fish you have there.

Bigdave
10-28-2023, 08:03 PM
The fry look more brown, but without knowing their background no one can tell. Local pet store can't tell only if they bought the Discus directly from a local breeder.

Cliff

thanks for your reply, I been trying to get good pictures of my young discus. but its so hard to get them to stay still. lol
im trying to capture their yellow coloration that I see.

Bigdave
10-28-2023, 08:36 PM
here are some pictures of some of the babies, the pictures don't do them justice but I did my best to take good pictures.

brewmaster15
10-28-2023, 08:53 PM
They are interesting. I agree with Cliff that I am.not seeing any albinos.. which makes sense.. but they will carry albino.

The fry have a golden look to them though. I wonder if the albino was a golden albino alenquer.. it might explain the colors.

I will be watching them grow out with great interest.

Looks like you have a couple of smaller ones there.. You might want to separate them to give the bigger ones more space to grow.

Al

Bigdave
10-28-2023, 09:28 PM
They are interesting. I agree with Cliff that I am.not seeing any albinos.. which makes sense.. but they will carry albino.

The fry have a golden look to them though. I wonder if the albino was a golden albino alenquer.. it might explain the colors.

Looks like you have a couple of smaller ones there.. You might want to separate them to give the bigger ones more space to grow.

Al

I do agree there's no albinos in this batch, I do have 3 that are more on the gray side with what looks like the beginning of white halo and bluish white dots on their bottom fins. and I do have 4 maybe 5 small that I know I need to separate but I have no other tanks to put them in. I also have 4 that are growing so fast. every discus in this tank are from the first batch of eggs and it's amazing how they grow at different rates. I have 1.5 inch babies in my bottom tank. so I plan to move the 4 big ones in my 150gal once their big enough to hold their own.

Bigdave
10-28-2023, 09:31 PM

Al

to me the albino male looks so much like the brown female, I believe its possible

Bigdave
10-28-2023, 09:41 PM
the camera takes away so much of the yellow and a lot of the developing markings and details. I can't figure out how to take accurate pictures. im also keeping an eye on their eye size to head ration. every discus baby have good eye to head ration I believe. I keep them well feed with different foods and keeping the water clean. and so far I have had no diseases or bacteria infections. makes all the work worth it.

Iminit
10-28-2023, 09:47 PM
Lol they’ve grown pretty quick from yesterday :). How old are they now? Nice looking group I’ve got some about the same size.

Bigdave
10-29-2023, 10:41 AM
Lol they’ve grown pretty quick from yesterday :). How old are they now? Nice looking group I’ve got some about the same size.

lol, their 4 months old and I have grown so curious as to what they will look like once matured. which is why I posted hoping someone may have bred these same type of discus and can share their experience with me as to what the fry looked like once matured.

LizStreithorst
10-29-2023, 11:15 AM
The reason nobody can tell you for sure is because your breeding stock is not purebred. What you are doing is breeding a couple of mutts which will produce different types of offspring.

jeep
10-29-2023, 11:27 AM
That male just doesn't look PB to me. More like golden Albino Alenquer. The fry are looking good!!

Bigdave
10-29-2023, 01:13 PM
The reason nobody can tell you for sure is because your breeding stock is not purebred. What you are doing is breeding a couple of mutts which will produce different types of offspring.

thank you

Bigdave
10-29-2023, 01:17 PM
That male just doesn't look PB to me. More like golden Albino Alenquer. The fry are looking good!!

thank you for your reply and kind words. the fry look amazing in person and I can't wait to see what they look like once they start to show their qualities.

Bigdave
10-29-2023, 01:23 PM

Al

I will keep you updated

CliffsDiscus
10-29-2023, 08:14 PM
Both albino and golden albino came from browns Discus. Breeders had a difficult time breeding both of these fish, and as far as production it was easier to cross the yellow pigeon and red pigeon and sell them as albino Discus.

Cliff

Bigdave
10-29-2023, 09:54 PM
Both albino and golden albino came from browns Discus. Breeders had a difficult time breeding both of these fish, and as far as production it was easier to cross the yellow pigeon and red pigeon and sell them as albino Discus.

Cliff

great info I didnt know and appreciated, thank you.

CliffsDiscus
10-30-2023, 02:09 PM
You can do an iris check to see any inheritance of the albino.

Cliff

Discus Fever
10-30-2023, 02:16 PM
The babies look really healthy looking forward to see how they turn out as adults, keep the pictures coming.

Bigdave
10-30-2023, 09:23 PM
You can do an iris check to see any inheritance of the albino.

Cliff

how do I do that?

Bigdave
10-30-2023, 09:30 PM
The babies look really healthy looking forward to see how they turn out as adults, keep the pictures coming.

thank you, a lot of water changes and a whole lot of different types of food, I am also very eager to see how they turn out. I will keep the pictures coming.

Bigdave
10-30-2023, 10:29 PM
took these pictures while they were eating
137058137059137060[attach]

Bigdave
10-30-2023, 10:30 PM
sorry couldn't figure out how to rotate the picture and size them properly.

brewmaster15
10-30-2023, 11:32 PM
sorry couldn't figure out how to rotate the picture and size them properly.

Info here..
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?126112-Camera-Phone-Users-read-this

brewmaster15
10-30-2023, 11:37 PM
how do I do that?
If you are seeing an eye bar or any black pigment(even in the eye) that fish isn't dominant for albino.

al·bi·no
/alˈbīˌnō/
noun
noun: albino; plural noun: albinos
a person or animal having a congenital absence of pigment in the skin and hair (which are white) and the eyes (which are usually pink).
"people often assume that any white squirrel is an albino"
Basically an albinos eyes are
reddish orange aka pink

Bigdave
10-31-2023, 01:11 AM
137064137065137066 thanks

Bigdave
10-31-2023, 01:40 AM
these are all different baby discus. all developing different patterns and it looks like their developing white halos.

Bigdave
10-31-2023, 01:45 AM
If you are seeing an eye bar or any black pigment(even in the eye) that fish isn't dominant for albino.

Basically an albinos eyes are
reddish orange aka pink

thanks for the information.

brewmaster15
10-31-2023, 04:06 AM
Dave have a read here..

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?59962-Brew-s-Homegrown-albino-alenquers

Some albino alenquers and wild types I was working with 16 years ago. Not saying this what you have but its probably similar.

Bigdave
10-31-2023, 09:39 AM
Dave have a read here..

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?59962-Brew-s-Homegrown-albino-alenquers

Some albino alenquers and wild types I was working with 16 years ago. Not saying this what you have but its probably similar.

thank you, but the site wont let me view the page. "it says I don't have permission".

brewmaster15
10-31-2023, 10:15 AM
please try that link again.:)

CliffsDiscus
10-31-2023, 12:29 PM
Using a flashlight, shin the light directly at the iris if the colors are dark blue or dark purple then it is carrying some albino.

Cliff

LizStreithorst
10-31-2023, 12:33 PM
learn something new every day. Thanks, Cliff.

Bigdave
10-31-2023, 06:24 PM
please try that link again.:)

awesome thread and so much info, those fry looked awesome, im hoping to get albino babies one day. thank you so much brewmaster15

Bigdave
10-31-2023, 06:26 PM
Using a flashlight, shin the light directly at the iris if the colors are dark blue or dark purple then it is carrying some albino.

Cliff

thanks a lot for that bit of knowledge, I will try it out now and I will post back my findings.

Bigdave
11-02-2023, 07:08 PM
Dave have a read here..

AL, I read through that entire thread thank you. as per the pictures of your fry and albino fry, my fry look so much like yours only difference is mine have bright yellow hue and are not albino. and they also eat like starving piranha no matter how much I feed them its never enough for them.

brewmaster15
11-02-2023, 08:37 PM
Dave what do you feed?

Bigdave
11-02-2023, 09:50 PM
Dave what do you feed?

I feed this to all my fish, SERA growth food and sera staple food, bug bites (regular), I buy frozen beef heart (Regular) from Discus madness, raw garlic chopped fine, white fish fillet (chopped fine), boiled egg whites (once a week). I do my best not to feed no color enhancing foods to any of my discus.

Bigdave
11-02-2023, 09:53 PM
also frozen black worms and I soak in garlic gaurd then feed.

Second Hand Pat
11-03-2023, 07:34 AM
Hi Dave, I just took a walk thru your thread and the fry look amazing. Well done on growing them out. How old are they now?
Pat

Bigdave
11-03-2023, 11:25 AM
Hi Dave, I just took a walk thru your thread and the fry look amazing. Well done on growing them out. How old are they now?
Pat

hello Pat and thank you, they are going on 5 month old and growing so fast. I honestly lost track with all the work it took to grow these fry out. I will definitely have a better system in place for the next round. lol