PDA

View Full Version : Fish Warranty???????

brewmaster15
11-03-2023, 09:03 AM
I thought I had seen it all but I guess not. Having gotten back into my old habits of searching discus sellers on the web to see whats out there and see if anyone would make a good addition to our sponsor team here, I come across some really different businesses. I've seen sellers that act like they are a discus super power when its questionable they even have Discus, I've seen sellers peddling culls as top rate fish, etc. You get the picture. This ones a new one for me though. A business in Denver Colorado offers a warranty you can Purchase.

https://dencodiscus.com/fish-warranty

While I think the idea of a warranty is not necessarily bad, having to pay an extra $10 fish seems extreme, I suppose its perfect for newbies though as it removes the risk of losing money if the fish dies. 14 days is fairly generous too.

I do think that this sellers disclaimers are a little contradictory ..

Important Notice: If the warranty is not purchased, there is not a guarantee of fish life!

Important Notice: If you choose not to purchase the warranty, all fish are guaranteed for 2 days after date of purchase. Photos must be sent to our email within the 2 days for fish replacement. All sales are final, no returns or exchanges.

But if they are giving a 2 day warranty for the Discus thats better than most do.

So .. has anyone else seen sellers offering a warranty you can buy at time of sale? Its a first for me.

AquaticNerd
11-03-2023, 09:20 AM
Never heard of an 'add-on' warranty that can be purchased for fish - only things I've heard of are live arrival guarantees or a guarantee that is included up to X number of days. I've also never heard of DenCO Discus, but seems a little pricey to spend anywhere from 10-20% of your purchase (looking at discus only) on a warranty when you can spend it on gear, higher quality foods (like FDBW), etc. You know they also are going to be sticklers for rules when they have so much bold print outlining the warranty terms, so if an image sent of a dead fish indicates anything that could have been keeper error and not a result of a poor quality fish, it appears as if they'd just point that out and say it doesn't meet their warranty terms. I also don't feel like it adds much value. Even the lowest quality of discus can likely survive for 14 days (unless something is catastrophically wrong with it) so seems like a waste.

Discus Fever
11-03-2023, 10:36 AM
I have never seen a warranty offered for discus that you have to pay extra for.

Jandiscus
11-03-2023, 03:22 PM
It is a smart move by the seller, playing on the insecurities of novices and the "what if" community. Accepting insurances on anything we buy is a fantastic revenue generator for those that offer it. Ever wonder if your $50 coffee maker will fail you two years from now? Buy the $7 insurance for added peace of mind :-) I don't blame the seller nor the buyer for the tactic/choice. I will say though that after you have digested the content of this forum, with all of its great advice and expertise consider diverting that $7 towards a cause that will outpace the risk of buying live animals.

LizStreithorst
11-03-2023, 04:31 PM
It's just a money maker for them.

jpm995
11-21-2023, 09:25 PM
Interesting concept. Can't read the fine print, how long is the warranty for? I guess if your buying a large, expensive fish it might make sense. For a 3" discus it seems crazy.

mleibowi
11-22-2023, 12:52 AM
They are poor quality discus. I bought from him when I first got in the hobby. Poor shape, lack of vibrant colors and stunted. He’s a nice guy, but that’s about it.

brewmaster15
11-22-2023, 06:46 AM
They are poor quality discus. I bought from him when I first got in the hobby. Poor shape, lack of vibrant colors and stunted. He’s a nice guy, but that’s about it.

Mike thats good info.. thanks.

Willie
11-25-2023, 04:42 AM
It's just a money maker for them.

Warranties represent 100% gross margin sales. And it doesn't mean that the seller is going to make good...