PDA

View Full Version : Official Rules 2023 Your Hobby your Story contest

brewmaster15
11-03-2023, 12:00 PM
This contest is a classic story book contest. The goal is for members to share their fish keeping stories and hobby with fellow hobbyists here over a 3 month time period. SimplyDiscus will create a special forum section for this to occur in. A member may start up to 3 threads that follow a particular tank of fish they keep It can be Discus or non Discus but must be Fresh water. It can be a grow out tank, a breeding pair, planted or invertebrate tank. It can also be an experimental tank where you are doing something different. There is no set posting requirements but understand that the more you post the better the chance you will win as the contest will be judged by the forum members based on how interesting, informative or just plan cool it is. Basically members will pick the winners by who has shared their hobby best. At judging time we provide some general guidelines for what members should consider.

There is no cost to enter. There will be cash prizes and international members are encouraged to participate. The prize can be sent via paypal or wired.

Prizes to date...

First place $200.00 USD
Second place ??????USD

More Prizes will be added.

The Rules:
1) No off site linked images. You must use the forum software to post the pictures.This will ensure we have this contest saved on our server.
2) You are allowed 1 video per week, a maximum of 8 Videos total . You do not need to use Videos at all
3) Discussions are encouraged, you must be willing to respond to inquiries
4) You are allowed up to 3 threads detailing a specific tank of fish. Once a thread is started you can not change it. A member may start up to 3 threads that follow a particular tank of fish they keep It can be Discus or non Discus but must be Fresh water. It can be a grow out tank, a breeding pair, planted or invertebrate tank. It can also be an experimental tank where you are doing something different.
5) Contest enrollment period is Nov 3, 2023 thru Nov 17, 2023 . No Members will be allowed to enter the contest after Nov 17 th.
6) You agree by participating in this contest that you will abide by the rules and should there be any issues that arise you accept the forum's decisions in these and contest matters.
7) Contest ends on Feb 3, 2024 when forum members will vote on the winners.

Thats It. Its pretty straightforward. If you have any questions, post them here.

Good luck everyone.

LizStreithorst
11-03-2023, 12:24 PM
Is this where I start my thread or is there somewhere else where I should start?

brewmaster15
11-03-2023, 01:23 PM
Yep..

https://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumdisplay.php?424-Your-Hobby-Your-Story-contest-2023

jwcarlson
11-03-2023, 06:27 PM
Three threads about one tank or three threads about three different tanks?

brewmaster15
11-03-2023, 06:55 PM
Three threads about three different tanks..

LizStreithorst
11-03-2023, 06:55 PM
3 different tanks

Charlyc11
11-10-2023, 09:15 PM
Videos have to be external correct. Youtube

brewmaster15
11-11-2023, 12:59 AM
Videos have to be external correct. Youtube

Hi Chuck, good question..Yes . The forum does not allow video uploads..too resource intensive I guess. YOUTUBE would be the best option.

brewmaster15
11-11-2023, 10:54 PM
Suppose I should clarify this.. you can start 3 threads..each about 1 different tank. However.. a tank does not need to have anything in it. .. thread just needs to be started before the enrollment ends.

For instance if for example I was to breed my rams in one thread I could most certainly grow them out in a tank in another thread as long as I had started a thread as a place holder for another story. :):) before the enrollment period ends. :)

jeep
11-12-2023, 02:08 AM
After what seemed like a slow start, I have to say I'm very excited to see so many entries. My confidence in raising discus was pretty much blown away this summer, but things are looking good now and as long as my situation and water supply continue to improve, I will include 6 juvies from my most recent spawn of Ruby Spider x Meteor as prizes for this contest for which ever "place" Al deems appropriate.

Good luck to everyone!!!

brewmaster15
11-12-2023, 08:11 AM
Brian thats super generous! ..thank you!

Al

LizStreithorst
11-12-2023, 09:37 AM
Suppose I should clarify this.. you can start 3 threads..each about 1 different tank. However.. a tank does not need to have anything in it. .. thread just needs to be started before the enrollment ends.

For instance if for example I was to breed my rams in one thread I could most certainly grow them out in a tank in another thread as long as I had started a thread as a place holder for another story. :):) before the enrollment period ends. :)

Thanks for the clarification, Al

Charlyc11
11-13-2023, 06:28 PM
Videos one per week. Is that 7 days apart or the week starts on a Monday? Say I post something on Saturday do I have to wait till next Saturday or post a video on Monday and that would be for that week and the one on Saturday for the week before. Sorry for the dumb question.

brewmaster15
11-13-2023, 08:07 PM
Videos one per week. Is that 7 days apart or the week starts on a Monday? Say I post something on Saturday do I have to wait till next Saturday or post a video on Monday and that would be for that week and the one on Saturday for the week before. Sorry for the dumb question.

Not dumb.. but lets just say 1 video every 7 days . Also by video I mean video of your fish. .. music videos,memes, Animated gifs etc can be used anytime if they help you express yourself.

AquaticNerd
11-14-2023, 08:56 AM
After what seemed like a slow start, I have to say I'm very excited to see so many entries. My confidence in raising discus was pretty much blown away this summer, but things are looking good now and as long as my situation and water supply continue to improve, I will include 6 juvies from my most recent spawn of Ruby Spider x Meteor as prizes for this contest for which ever "place" Al deems appropriate.

Good luck to everyone!!!

:eek:

Shame I'm currently not keeping any fish. Whoever wins these fish are going to be one lucky fish keeper.

brewmaster15
11-17-2023, 06:26 PM
Only a few hours left to enter what could very well be the easiest contest you have ever entered.

Posting about your hobby.. can't really make it any easier.

Al

brewmaster15
11-18-2023, 08:06 AM
Enrollment is over. Best of luck to everyone! I was worrjed we would not have alot of entries but its really come together.We have some great hobbyist projects and tanks.Super exciting to see.
Al

jeep
02-04-2024, 12:59 PM
I regret to say I don't have any juvies to donate this time around. My water related issues seem to have lasted much longer than anticipated. I hope everyone accepts my sincere apology but I just don't feel confident in what's left...

brewmaster15
02-04-2024, 07:41 PM
No worries Brian, I am working on other alternatives..

Hard to believe the Contest is up everyone. If you want to make a last post or video we will let it run through tomorrow and then set up a poll for voting...details to follow.

al

brewmaster15
02-09-2024, 09:07 AM
Hello all,
I wanted to update everyone on the contest.

This is a copy of an Pm I sent to all contestants..

Hello Contestants

As you know the "Your Hobby " contest has wrapped up and we will put a poll up to Vote shortly. I want to thank you all for participating, It was fun and there was some great threads. You may have seen the post where Brian posted that he could not supply his homebred fish due to his ongoing water issues. We currently have $200 in cash for first Prize(donated generously by Pat and Jake), and second Prize is 200 grams Freeze Dried Blackworms ( AquaticSuppliers). Liz has generously offered some of her Blue snakeskins /Turqs as an alternative First Place prize. Should any of you want to have fish instead of the $200 cash. She is generously offering 6 fish.. these she has been selling at $45 each plus shipping. .. so 6 fish shipping included is an awesome first place prize.

As Liz has moved away from breeding and shipping this may be your last chance to obtain some of the best Blue Discus I have seen. The winner of the contest can choose at that time if they want the cash or the fish.

Bathi, as our only international contestant, We can not ship the fish, but the cash prize should not be an issue, and I believe I may be able to ship you Freeze Dried Blackworms..or something else to be determined for second if you win.

I just wanted to give you all a heads up as to what we are planning.

Thank you,
Al

I will post the poll this Morning to vote. We would really appreciate everyone taking the time to vote here.Members put the effort into posting these last several months about their tank.. Lets show them its appreciated. Thanks!

al