PDA

View Full Version : Spawning of and growing out fry in a 90 gallon

LizStreithorst
11-07-2023, 04:31 PM
At least I hope so. I've never tried this in so large a tank before so it will be a challenge to try. This is my pair in their 90. They are in tap, but when (if) they spawn there is a pitcher of RO hanging inside their tank where I will move the cone with the eggs.

brewmaster15
11-07-2023, 04:33 PM
Are they siblings Liz?

al

LizStreithorst
11-07-2023, 04:35 PM
For the past couple of days. they've been flirting and pecking at the cone but dad who was very wary of me would turn to attack me whenever I got close to their tank with the camera

LizStreithorst
11-07-2023, 04:38 PM
Not siblings, Al but all from those show fish from Ryan. I won in the auction.They could be father and daughter or uncle and niece. I'm not sure

LizStreithorst
11-07-2023, 04:43 PM
They were more into it this morning and I got pics of them doing some serious interest in the cone.

LizStreithorst
11-07-2023, 04:45 PM
OMG, they've started. But I get close to the tank and dad wants to destroy me again. I'll have to leave them alone to do their thing for a while before I attempt pics. I don't want to ruin their fun.

Vanman
11-07-2023, 04:53 PM
Is this our favorite pair?

Discus Fever
11-07-2023, 04:54 PM
Good luck with them will be interesting how many eggs get fertilized.

LizStreithorst
11-07-2023, 04:59 PM
Is this our favorite pair?

yessir.

LizStreithorst
11-07-2023, 05:03 PM
Thanks, Scott. I'll be interested more than you. She seems to be putting down eggs in 2 different places on the cone. But dad is doing a good job of covering them, from what I can see from the other side of the fishroom.

LizStreithorst
11-07-2023, 05:53 PM
They're finally done. Here's a very poor pic of the majority of eggs on the side of the cone. After 30 minutes I'll put the cone in the pitcher of RO.

brewmaster15
11-08-2023, 06:43 AM
Wow Liz, thats crazy on how fast they spawned! Guess you now have a tactic for when they wont spawn for you!
Good luck with your contest entry.

Second Hand Pat
11-08-2023, 08:06 AM
Nice pair Liz and great batch of eggs. Looking forward to seeing how this progresses :D
Pat

Charlyc11
11-08-2023, 08:13 AM
Nice keep us informed Liz. More of those nice pic's

AquaticNerd
11-08-2023, 08:57 AM
Great story so far Liz and I'm also looking forward to seeing how this progresses. Should be an awesome story!

I guess the next time you want them to spawn, we'll have to start another contest with a cash prize - looks to me like this couple trying hard to win. :D

LizStreithorst
11-08-2023, 10:24 AM
I moved the eggs to the pitcher of RO with 2 drops of Meth Blue after waiting about 35 minutes post-spawning. There is a bubbler in the pitcher which I took out in order to get a better pic.

The parents have discovered where the eggs although they are not doting on them yet. If all goes right, they will be at the pitcher "fanning" the eggs more and more over the next couple of days.

LizStreithorst
11-08-2023, 10:27 AM
Thanks to all who have wished me luck. Please continue to keep body parts crossed. So far so good, but this is still far from a done deal.

LizStreithorst
11-08-2023, 10:34 AM
Great story so far Liz and I'm also looking forward to seeing how this progresses. Should be an awesome story!

I guess the next time you want them to spawn, we'll have to start another contest with a cash prize - looks to me like this couple trying hard to win. :D

They are competitors, indeed. I had them in a 29 where they had already started flirting before I moved them to the 100. What really amazed me is that they waited until I managed to get the camera's settings right before they got things going in a serious way.

holderman19
11-09-2023, 09:11 AM
Very nice pair. Whenever i get lucky and have a pair spawn i'm going to try that pitcher with RO idea.

bluelagoon
11-09-2023, 09:24 AM
Nice discus.

Discus Fever
11-09-2023, 10:47 AM
Fingers crossed hopefully you will get a nice hatch rate out of those, keep us posted on this.

LizStreithorst
11-09-2023, 10:49 AM
Very nice pair. Whenever i get lucky and have a pair spawn i'm going to try that pitcher with RO idea.

Ed, it's no necessary for most folks to use the pitcher method. I only do it this way because after lowering my TDS to 20 I still couldn't get a viable spawn. The pitcher was the only way for me other than using a tank full of RO. I tried that first and I was going through RO filers and membranes so often that I was spending a ton on them.

LizStreithorst
11-09-2023, 10:58 AM
Thanks, Mervin. I'm quite fond of them myself.

Scott here's an update for you. It looks like slightly over 50% of these are fertile which would be OK in a smaller tank, but in a tank this size I need zillions of babies to free-swim and attach to the parents when I turn them loose. Otherwise, they are more likely to get eaten. A good sign is that either dad or mom is guarding the kids at all times. Often both are. But when both are guarding and I go to take a pic, dad turns and tries to kill me again, as in this pic. I'll try for better pics of the eggs later today when I get my other camera back from the shop.

jimmyjoe
11-09-2023, 01:41 PM
Liz did you say that these spawned in a 100 gallon, if so I hoping you all the luck. Because I would like to be on the list if you get enough to sell, they are a beautiful pair. Jim in Ohio

CliffsDiscus
11-09-2023, 02:05 PM
Liz, Looking good, keep us posted on their progress. Might try lowering the water level when the fry are free swimming.

Cliff

jimmyjoe
11-09-2023, 02:26 PM
I have a question, once they become wigglers couldn't you just place them back in with the parents?

LizStreithorst
11-09-2023, 02:51 PM
I have a question, once they become wigglers couldn't you just place them back in with the parents?

I tried that once, jimmyjoe, but little by little the wigglers got eaten. I have had better luck when they stayed in the pitcher till they were swimming well.

LizStreithorst
11-09-2023, 02:55 PM
Actually, it's a 90. I have both sizes and I just made a mistake in the title. Still, it's a huge tank, even with the water level reduced to half to raise a bunch of fry in. If I do get enough to sell I'll be advertising them here. I do have some nice looking babies from the same breeding stock ready to go now, though.

jimmyjoe
11-09-2023, 03:15 PM
Actually, it's a 90. I have both sizes and I just made a mistake in the title. Still, it's a huge tank, even with the water level reduced to half to raise a bunch of fry in. If I do get enough to sell I'll be advertising them here. I do have some nice looking babies from the same breeding stock ready to go now, though.

Let me see them if you have a chance, I'm very interested in your breeders features, what size are they?

jimmyjoe
11-09-2023, 03:20 PM
I tried that once, jimmyjoe, but little by little the wigglers got eaten. I have had better luck when they stayed in the pitcher till they were swimming well.

So you removed the cone then what, fed them what or just BBS and did that suffice?

LizStreithorst
11-09-2023, 03:53 PM
When I pour the wigglers in with their parents they are still too young to eat BBS. They still have to depend on their parents. But I do add newly hatched very tiny BBS on day 3. Most of them don't even look at it for another day or two, but I squirt it on their parents backs so I'm sure that they get a taste of it earlier than most fry.

The size of the male of the contest pair is 7 7/8" Mom is about 6 inches. I pulled dad out a while back and put a tape on him, so I know for sure. Mom's size is just an educated guess. My other pairs from the same line are younger and not quite as big. They're not the fastest growing fish I've ever had but they do get quite big.

jimmyjoe
11-09-2023, 09:02 PM

Liz I sure would like to see pictures of these babies from these two that you might have available for sale. I'm really interested I've been looking for some nice snakeskins with these markings.

mleibowi
11-09-2023, 11:36 PM
Beautiful pair, Liz!

LizStreithorst
11-10-2023, 09:50 AM
Wigglers this morning. I'm sure that Pat and Al, with their great knowledge and great equipment could get a pic of the little 'uns wiggling, but I'm afraid I'm not that good....yet(?).

Charlyc11
11-10-2023, 11:24 AM
As free swimmers out of the pitcher they don't get eaten?

LizStreithorst
11-10-2023, 12:16 PM
Last time they didn't except for mom. She started chowing down on fry on day 3. By the time I set up a tank for her and got her moved she had eaten half of them. I removed her and dad did fine with the rest of them. I just don't want to take a chance on trying what didn't work once in favor of trying them on the way that did work once.

LizStreithorst
11-10-2023, 12:18 PM
this evening when I do WC I may lower the water level in the tank and set the pitcher on the bottom so the pair can get used to the lower water level.

Charlyc11
11-10-2023, 11:38 PM
Liz
Do you RO change on you pitcher?
Chuck

LizStreithorst
11-11-2023, 08:47 AM
Once the babies are about to start wiggling I change about half their water with the water I use for their parents and other fish.

LizStreithorst
11-11-2023, 10:00 AM
I moved the pitcher to the bottom of the tank and gave the pair till this morning to get used to the lower water level. In the pics and real life, there are few wigglers and mostly white fluff. It scares me every single morning. I have to remove the air stone and look a the cone from the top before I'm able to get a good look at them. They're still there, all bunched together in the middle of the fluff.

It was interesting to me to look at the pics from first to last. I can see daddy darken slowly every day as things progress.

jimmyjoe
11-12-2023, 12:48 PM
So Liz, how are you going to introduce the kids to the parents, considering the difference in water parameter's. Jim in Ohio

LizStreithorst
11-12-2023, 01:09 PM
I've been changing the wigglers water with the parents water so there will be no drastic change. I wait until just before or right after the eggs start wiggling.

LizStreithorst
11-12-2023, 04:32 PM
The closer the time gets, the harder the wait gets. The parents feel the same way. They can't take their eyes off the pitcher. I tried for a pic, but dad always leaves the cone so he can kill me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDJ_Mz8ftqI

LizStreithorst
11-13-2023, 09:28 AM
https://www.google.com/search?q=today+is+your+birthday&sca_esv=581776001&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS991US991&sxsrf=AM9HkKkOdnLy85CsVQjgDmWna4ZSJT3HIw%3A1699834 492429&ei=fGpRZafcGaChqtsPicOW8AE&gs_ssp=eJzj4tFP1zcsNM0yyrDIMDdg9BIryU9JrFTILFaozC8 tUkjKLCrJAAoAAOIUDKI&oq=today+is+your+birthday&gs_lp=Egxnd3Mtd2l6LXNlcnAiFnRvZGF5IGlzIHlvdXIgYmly dGhkYXkqAggAMgUQLhiABDIFEC4YgAQyBRAAGIAEMgUQABiABD IFEAAYgAQyBRAAGIAEMgUQABiABDIFEAAYgAQyBRAAGIAEMgUQ ABiABDIgEC4YgAQYlwUY3AQY3gQY4AQY9AMY8QMY9QMY9gPYAQ JIsInOFlCfDVjGk80WcBR4AZABBJgB9gGgAaQvqgEHMzEuMjIu MbgBAcgBAPgBAagCEcICChAAGEcY1gQYsAPCAgoQABiKBRiwAx hDwgIQEC4YigUYyAMYsAMYQ9gBAcICBxAjGLECGCfCAhMQLhiA BBixAxiDARjHARjRAxgKwgINEAAYgAQYsQMYgwEYCsICDRAAGI oFGLEDGIMBGEPCAgcQABiABBgKwgIiEC4YgAQYsQMYgwEYxwEY 0QMYChiXBRjcBBjeBBjgBNgBAsICBxAjGLACGCfCAhkQLhgNGI AEGLEDGIMBGLEDGIMBGMcBGNEDwgITEAAYDRiABBixAxiDARix AxiDAcICDRAAGA0YgAQYsQMYgwHCAgcQABgNGIAEwgIiEC4YDR iABBixAxiDARjHARjRAxiXBRjcBBjeBBjgBNgBAsICBhAAGB4Y DcICCBAAGAUYHhgNwgINEC4YxwEY0QMY6gIYJ8ICBxAjGOoCGC fCAhAQABiKBRjqAhi0AhhD2AEDwgITEC4YigUYyAMY6gIYtAIY Q9gBBMICBxAjGIoFGCfCAgQQIxgnwgILEAAYgAQYsQMYgwHCAg sQLhiABBixAxiDAcICExAuGIoFGLEDGIMBGMcBGNEDGEPCAhAQ LhiKBRixAxiDARjlBBhDwgIIEAAYgAQYsQPCAgcQABiKBRhDwg INEC4YigUYsQMYgwEYQ8ICBxAuGIoFGEPCAgsQABiKBRixAxiD AcICHxAuGIoFGLEDGIMBGOUEGEMYlwUY3AQY3gQY4ATYAQLCAg oQLhiKBRixAxhDwgIKEAAYigUYsQMYQ8ICCBAuGIAEGLEDwgIN EC4YigUYxwEY0QMYQ8ICCxAuGIoFGLEDGIMBwgIZEC4YigUYsQ MYQxiXBRjcBBjeBBjfBNgBAsICCBAuGIoFGJECwgIOEC4YigUY sQMYgwEYkQLCAhcQLhiKBRiRAhiXBRjcBBjeBBjgBNgBAsICDh AuGIAEGLEDGMcBGNEDwgIdEC4YigUYsQMYgwEYkQIYlwUY3AQY 3gQY3wTYAQLCAggQLhiABBjUAsICCxAuGIMBGLEDGIAEwgIGEA AYFhgewgIIEAAYFhgeGArCAgUQIRigAcICERAuGIAEGLEDGIMB GMcBGNEDwgIOEC4YigUYsQMYgwEY1ALCAgsQLhiABBjHARivAc ICDxAAGIoFGLEDGIMBGAoYQ8ICChAuGLEDGIoFGEPCAggQABiK BRixA8ICIBAuGIAEGJcFGNwEGN4EGOAEGPQDGPEDGPUDGPYD2A EC4gMEGAAgQYgGAZAGC7oGBAgBGAi6BgYIAhABGBS6BgYIAxAB GAG6BgYIBBABGAg&sclient=gws-wiz-serp#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:c839125c,vid:MjF1bG5LUcs,st:0

LizStreithorst
11-13-2023, 09:36 AM
Anticipation time is over. The kids are with mom and dad. Now I'm: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycbgHM1mI0k

brewmaster15
11-13-2023, 10:10 AM
Congratulations Liz!

LizStreithorst
11-13-2023, 10:17 AM
Thank you, Al. But that was the easy part. So far so good, but I'll be on pins and needles all day, waiting for the parents to decide to fall in love with them.

Charlyc11
11-13-2023, 12:25 PM
The will have faith in those parents.

LizStreithorst
11-13-2023, 03:15 PM
At this tiny size, it's hard to estimate the number of kids are on the parents, but I would guess no more than 40. I've yet to catch either parent in the act of scarfing down fry, but I wouldn't be surprised. I don't think that there are enough for the parents to want to raise, but all I can do is wait and see. If worse comes to worse there is always next time. I may start another thread on an empty 29 to breed in and save the 90 for grow-out. I have until the 17th to decide. I should have a better idea of the number of fry by then. On the other hand, I hate to give up on this challenge.

lol...spell check wanted me to change the word fry to fries. Heck, if they were fries, I'd be eating them, not the parents.

Iminit
11-13-2023, 04:15 PM
Lol! We all like fries!
Good luck with the fry! Any reason why the parents won’t raise just 40? You’ve got some heavy breeders there. Mine only kept 26 the first time. These they didn’t eat and raised. Next group they put the limit on 2. 137458. Must be millennial’s :).

LizStreithorst
11-13-2023, 04:58 PM
In this long tank, even with the water level lowered by half, there's just too much swimming room for the fry to swim off and get lost. Then they get picked off one by one. I raised their last group in a 40 cube. I lowered the water level by half and there was much less room for the fry to get lost in. A really good pair could do it, but it's harder for most.

Charlyc11
11-13-2023, 06:15 PM
Sponge tank dividers?

In this long tank, even with the water level lowered by half, there's just too much swimming room for the fry to swim off and get lost. Then they get picked off one by one. I raised their last group in a 40 cube. I lowered the water level by half and there was much less room for the fry to get lost in. A really good pair could do it, but it's harder for most.

LizStreithorst
11-13-2023, 06:22 PM
Maybe next time. But that would take the challenge out of as would spawning in a 29 which I decided against. I want to try it this way at least a couple of times first.

brewmaster15
11-13-2023, 08:12 PM
Liz when I have bred my discus in 55 g and 75 gal tanks I found adding a light just to one side helped.. the pair stayed on that side because the fry were attracted to the light. .. smaller than your 90 I know but it may help..

LizStreithorst
11-14-2023, 09:48 AM
Just the opposite is true in this case. I have a 48" Finnex light from Miranda over the 5" tank, but more to one side of the tank than the other. The darker side is where I reintroduced a sponge before lights out. Just like when I bred these guys in the 40, the fry go back and forth from the sponge to the parents. The sponge is well-cycled but perfectly clean so I don't think the kids are getting much to eat from it. They're attracted to the dark color. No matter. Although it makes it impossible to get a good pic, I think it looks like I still have the number of babies that I had when I started.

jimmyjoe
11-15-2023, 10:08 AM
Hey Mama, couple of questions for ya did all the babies get out of the fluff or did you lose any that way. 2.) did you change out your sponge filter for an air stone so the babies attach to the parents quicker.

LizStreithorst
11-15-2023, 10:12 AM
They all escaped the fluff. And yes, I added an airstone once the sponge was removed.

LizStreithorst
11-15-2023, 11:23 AM
Today is day 3 of free swimming. The last time, when I bred them in the 38-cube, day 3 was when mom started scarfing them like a crazy woman. I want to give her another chance, so I'll wait and see and hope for the best. So far so good, but the day is young.

Last night I started some BBS which should be ready this afternoon. I squirt it over the parent's backs so the kids can get a taste of it while the shrimp are newly hatched and still tiny. I'll hatch another batch every day so the kids can always get the small stuff. The rest wont be wasted. I have 7 tanks of fish that will enjoy the heck out of it.

jwcarlson
11-15-2023, 03:21 PM
I'm glad to see that your discus are giving you some babies to raise, Liz! :) And glad to see pictures of the process.

LizStreithorst
11-15-2023, 04:47 PM
I wish I could shoot more pics, but this 90 is ancient, full of scratches and calcium deposits that I have not been able to remove. I have busted my butt trying.

Discus Fever
11-15-2023, 04:59 PM
Good luck Liz, fingers crossed that the parents will raise them until they are big enough for live brine.

Charlyc11
11-15-2023, 09:01 PM
Liz have you ever use rodi 0 TDS in your pitcher?

LizStreithorst
11-16-2023, 09:24 AM
No. I don't used DI and the lowest I get from my RO membrane is 2.

brewmaster15
11-16-2023, 09:39 AM
No. I don't used DI and the lowest I get from my RO membrane is 2.

Liz thats seriously low for RO only. Whats your tap water like?

Charlyc11
11-16-2023, 09:44 AM
Yes that is low almost DI I get 10 - 20 on my RO only. I wonder if RODI would be harmful for the eggs anybody have a clue? I can get it to 0 when I switch to my RODI.

Liz thats seriously low for RO only. Whats your tap water like?

LizStreithorst
11-16-2023, 11:11 AM
TDS 115 although at last check it was 102. gH 0 kH 4.5 pH 7.2. I don't see that RO DI would hurt, but I see no reason for it unless you're using it for a salt water tank as well.

LizStreithorst
11-16-2023, 11:13 AM
Al, you mentioned earlier in this thread that the fry preferred to be where there was more light rather than less. For the first 2 days, mine liked the opposite. But starting yesterday they decided they like the side with more light. Maybe it's an age thing.

Charlyc11
11-16-2023, 11:32 AM
I have a RIDI filters for rinsing my PH probes when calibrating. So I might as well put them to use it only takes turning two valves to switch, really don't need much anyway.

TDS 115 although at last check it was 102. gH 0 kH 4.5 pH 7.2. I don't see that RO DI would hurt, but I see no reason for it unless you're using it for a salt water tank as well.

LizStreithorst
11-20-2023, 10:46 AM
finally, after a week of free-swimming, I was finally able to get a pic of some of the little 'uns. I guestimate there are around 40 fry in total. In the pic, I count 15 fry on dad. Of course, they are on a part of dad that considered less than perfect... Most are on the lower part of his body where his spotted pattern fades out.

Charlyc11
11-20-2023, 11:15 AM
Cool, nice pic's congrats

Vanman
11-20-2023, 11:40 AM
Nice red eye on a nice fish.

LizStreithorst
11-20-2023, 11:49 AM
Thanks, Chuck. I forgot to mention how proud I am of mom, cause last time she started scarfing her children on day 3 of free swimming. Today on day 7, although the kids do prefer dad, mom shares the duties with him. I'm glad now that I gave her a chance rather than playing it safe and removing her.

LizStreithorst
11-20-2023, 11:54 AM
We're both fans of the red eye on Discus, Gary. It's much preferred in Discus shows, too.

Discus Fever
11-20-2023, 01:47 PM
Babies are looking really good, looks like a successful spawn.

LizStreithorst
11-20-2023, 03:11 PM
Thanks, Scott. Their older brothers and sisters are looking good so I expect the same quality from these guys. The contest lasts 3 months, so we will all see how things progress as time goes on. In 3 months I hope to have some good-looking fish.

Iminit
11-20-2023, 04:26 PM
Good luck Liz! Hope they come out great! Will be watching. Was hoping to start a thread on my pair but they ate them. Laying eggs again now though. How big should they be in 3 months. The ones I have now at 11 weeks are about 1.5” big.

LizStreithorst
11-20-2023, 05:17 PM
It depends on strain, Tom. PB's grow the fastest and SS's grow the slowest. They say 1" of growth per month which IMO is too optimistic. My spawn of SS's and Turks average just 2". They were born on Sept 7 and have been well cared for. But the males in this line grow to 8" and the females to 7", so I say there is no rule of thumb.

jwcarlson
11-20-2023, 05:30 PM
Glad to see the parents are still holding the line! That has to be a relief!

LizStreithorst
11-20-2023, 05:56 PM
Thanks, Jacob. I had faith in dad. Not so much with mom, but she's still doing well sharing the parenting duties. I enjoy seeing the kids go back and forth between them.

Charlyc11
11-20-2023, 08:16 PM
Liz you released them from the pitcher as swimmers correct?

LizStreithorst
11-21-2023, 09:04 AM
Yes, I make myself wait until they're swimming all over the pitcher. It's hard making myself wait that long. I don't know why.

Iminit
11-21-2023, 11:17 AM
When swimming in the pitcher do you offer food?

Charlyc11
11-21-2023, 11:48 AM
I would guess probably not since they still have some of their yolk sack but I would like to know that from Liz. I am in that situation waiting but no swimmers yet.

LizStreithorst
11-21-2023, 11:54 AM
You're exactly right, Chuck. Besides, they're too young to accept anything but their parent's slime.

LizStreithorst
11-22-2023, 11:38 AM
Mom's turn feeding the kids.

Charlyc11
11-22-2023, 11:40 AM
You are getting good at pic's nice job.

LizStreithorst
11-22-2023, 11:48 AM
Actually, I delete far more than I keep.

Charlyc11
11-22-2023, 12:07 PM
We all do that, you always keep your best shot's that's the nature of digital photography.

Actually, I delete far more than I keep.

Second Hand Pat
11-24-2023, 07:35 AM
So happy for you Liz, both in the fry and photo department :D
Pat

LizStreithorst
11-30-2023, 11:05 AM
Will y'all just look at 'des purty little babies. 17 days old today.

Charlyc11
11-30-2023, 11:44 AM
Nice they are looking great, love those kids.

LizStreithorst
11-30-2023, 02:20 PM
Thank you, Chuck. They're eating BBS, powdered food, and they pick at their parent's pellets once they soften up a bit. I love my babies, too.

jwcarlson
11-30-2023, 03:18 PM
Awesome, Liz! :)

LizStreithorst
11-30-2023, 03:52 PM
Thank you, Jacob. I'm very attached to these kids and their parents. Maybe it's because I look at their tank so often. The 90-gallon is 3/4 full ATM. I didn't think that breeding in such a large tank would be successful, but so far so good. Most breeders don't keep the babies with the parents for over 3 weeks. But they will hit 3 weeks of age in 5 more days, and I'm considering keeping them with mom and dad longer. When I wake up in the morning and head down to the fishroom, the kids are eating from them. Mom and dad are fine with it.

fljones3
11-30-2023, 11:57 PM
FANTASTIC! Looks great.

Iminit
12-01-2023, 10:43 AM
Looking good! I kept mine with the parents for about 6 weeks. But the parents really were showing wear. Finally I went downstairs and the parents had all the fry trapped under the heater. I removed the fry then. Good luck they should be some great looking discus!

LizStreithorst
12-01-2023, 11:12 AM
thanks, Frank. Tom, I'll try not to push it. I do enjoy seeing the parents and the fry swimming together, though.

Second Hand Pat
12-01-2023, 11:43 AM
Looking GREAT Liz, both the fry and the photos :D
Pat

LizStreithorst
12-01-2023, 11:56 AM
Thanks, Pat. It's still my d80 set on auto, though. One of these days I'll start playing with ISO, but after my failure with Al's 200 I'm ready to press my luck experimenting quite yet.

LizStreithorst
12-04-2023, 03:00 PM
Three weeks and 1 day today. They are rounding out nicely,

LizStreithorst
12-04-2023, 03:08 PM
They still adore their daily feeding of BBS.

brewmaster15
12-04-2023, 05:54 PM
Looking very Liz!

Al

LizStreithorst
12-04-2023, 06:00 PM
Looking very Liz!

Al

Do they really look very, Al? I've tried hard to take care of them very. :)

Charlyc11
12-04-2023, 06:43 PM
I very much agree!

Second Hand Pat
12-04-2023, 06:57 PM
So nice Liz, both fish and photos :D
Pat

LizStreithorst
12-04-2023, 07:03 PM
Thanks, Pat.

brewmaster15
12-04-2023, 08:21 PM

Well I could tell better if I had a few samples..lol

Ryan
12-04-2023, 08:57 PM
Looks like they’re turning out really nice. I used to be indifferent to snakeskin discus until I saw them in person. Now I miss having them around.

LizStreithorst
12-05-2023, 11:28 AM
You and Al can both have some gratis, once the contest is over. :)

LizStreithorst
12-11-2023, 12:24 PM
The kids are 4 weeks plus a day today and still with mom and dad. The parents have become even more protective of them than ever, Dad has taught mom to try to kill me when I go to the tank. They hit my hand so hard when I'm feeding Al's worms, that I'm lucky if they don't knock the cubes out of my hand before I can stick them on the glass. The kids no longer need to be fed fines. They go to the cubes stuck to the glass now.

I went to the tank with the camera yesterday and just look how dad treated me. He ran the kids over to mom's side of the tank and then turned toward me to attack. These two who had been iffy parents have turned into the best I've ever had.

jwcarlson
12-11-2023, 12:47 PM
That's awesome that they're being great parents, Liz! :) Babies look good too.

LizStreithorst
12-11-2023, 01:07 PM
thanks Jacob.

fljones3
12-11-2023, 11:22 PM
Glad you got a strong pair. Babies are growing nicely.
If anyone is looking for some discus, you can't go wrong with Liz.

danotaylor
12-12-2023, 01:25 AM
Just read through this thread Liz...bloody marvelous mate! Well done :)

jawfish
12-12-2023, 08:43 PM
I too read trought the whole tread. Really cool to see this being done in a 90...

Always love to see the parental instinc of discus.
Cheers
Fred

Adamski77
12-13-2023, 08:47 AM
such a cute little puppies... very beautiful picture...

LizStreithorst
12-14-2023, 04:14 PM
Danny, Frank, and Adam. I forgot to thank you. Thank y'all very much.

I have a concern about these parents. With the kids being 4 1/2 weeks old, is it normal for them to be so aggressive? It is only directed toward me, but they're more aggressive now than they were when the kids were young. Everyone seems happy. The kids are almost always
in the area mom and dad are. Once in a while, one of the kids will go to one parent or the other to bite off a snack. Is this normal? Should I be worried about mom or dad turning their aggression to the kids?

Vanman
12-14-2023, 05:37 PM
You can't go wrong getting them out now.

fljones3
12-14-2023, 05:52 PM
Agree with Gary. With the noted increased aggression, time to remove them.

LizStreithorst
12-14-2023, 06:07 PM
OK. I have a tank for them. I'll move them tomorrow.

danotaylor
12-18-2023, 02:54 AM
Did you get your precious fry removed Liz? How did the parents handle the move? Are they settled again now the fry are out of their tank? Pics?:o

LizStreithorst
12-18-2023, 05:09 PM
I moved the parents so that I can document the babies as they mature. I'll snap a pic soon. They're swimming happily back and forth the length of the tank.

danotaylor
12-19-2023, 12:18 AM
whoop whoop :bounce: :drummer:

Second Hand Pat
12-19-2023, 08:25 AM
Great news Liz, looking forward on seeing how these guys do in a larger space :D
Pat

LizStreithorst
01-17-2024, 12:01 PM
Time to come back and fess up. Forgive me for not posting for so long. I have no idea while once in a while I just feel like I have nothing of interest to say and have no interest in saying anything. You may have noticed that I have hardly had anything to say on the entire forum. It's not like me, but it happens.

At any rate, the kids did just fine for the longest time after I moved the parents out. Then a couple of weeks ago a couple started looking off. I was concerned because I didn't clean these guys up starting at 3 weeks as I'd done with my last two spawns. I should have jumped on treating then, but I waited until a little fish was dead on the bottom one morning. By Rid Ich Plus 8 days of metro plus most were looking better and a couple looked like nothing had ever happened. Still, later that evening I decided that the next morning I would cull them all. Nobody likes having to do that. But the next morning I woke up with a hardened heart. I gave everyone a last feed, did a WC, and scooped up all the babies and tossed them outside the fish room door on the frozen ground.

So now that's done and I've confessed I will move on. I'll put the parents back in the 90 and start cleaning them up after WC this afternoon. Pics coming.

Second Hand Pat
01-17-2024, 12:10 PM
Aw Liz, still tough to do but I have culled the batch before especially when things go off with the batch.
Pat

GlennR
01-23-2024, 05:27 PM
What a shock. They looked so good. I was expecting to see you feeding them white worms soon.

Hopefully, the next batch will be a huge & healthy one.

LizStreithorst
01-23-2024, 06:59 PM
Yeah, I didn't want to believe what my eyes were telling me. I shouldn't have to treat the next batch at 5 weeks.