PDA

View Full Version : The Diary of the Bathi's Discus Planted Tank

Bathi
11-08-2023, 12:57 AM
Hi, everyone.
In this thread, I will provide more information on my low-tech Discus tank. I hope this thread will help someone learn something, as I am eager to share all my experiences over the coming weeks. Please refrain from judgment and simply enjoy the journey.

Chapter 01 - Inspiration

Why Discus ?

As a fish keeper, I have many years of experience with various varieties. Typically, I keep a fish variety for several years, and then I like to move on to another fish variety; otherwise, I start to feel a bit bored. So, I challenge myself and try to keep more challenging fish varieties. That's how I decided to keep Discus. Many people say that if we can keep Rays or Discus, we can handle a wide range of freshwater fish varieties. Additionally, Discus are known for their calm and unique characteristics. I believe every fish keeper would enjoy having Discus in their collection.

Why Planted Tank ?

I am a huge fan of biotopes and planted aquariums. I have gained experience with both high-tech and low-tech planted setups over time. Without a doubt, the natural vibes and green colors help me relax my mind.

Why Planted Discus Tank ?

After I learned the basics of Discus and planted tanks, I wished to blend these two aspects. I am aware that there may be challenges ahead, but I'm eager to gain that experience as well.
As I went along, I found inspiration from some planted tanks on YouTube. I'll also list the URLs so that others can catch the planted Discus tank enthusiasm, just like I have.

* 1,000 GALLON PLANTED DISCUS AQUARIUM ($$$$)!! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1R0TqXwiFgM&pp=ygUTcGxhbnRlZCBkaXNjdXMgdGFuaw%3D%3D)
* My Planted Discus Tank Story - 150 Day Update (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcUsXITmxqE&pp=ygUTcGxhbnRlZCBkaXNjdXMgdGFuaw%3D%3D)
* Wild ROYAL Discus Nature Aquarium of 200x60x70cm at Twinstar EU (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmkQdqeXmQs&t=138s&pp=ygUTcGxhbnRlZCBkaXNjdXMgdGFuaw%3D%3D)
* Intro: 300 Gallons Wild Discus tank - The Grotto (Cinematic) (https://youtu.be/ECXIq-hNIiw)
* Wonderful Planted Aquarium with DISCUS FISH (https://youtu.be/ygjgUyTbHhg)

brewmaster15
11-08-2023, 06:41 AM
Bathi,
Wonderful start to contest. I'm looking forward to watching as this thread progresses.. best of luck!
Al

Second Hand Pat
11-08-2023, 07:45 AM
I agree with Al Bathi, a wonderful start to your story here and also, a beautiful tank. I look forward to learning more about your journey :D
Pat

AquaticNerd
11-08-2023, 08:47 AM
I'll just parrot what Al and Pat said - beautiful looking tank. I am so jealous of some of the wood pieces that folks on here are able to find or get their hands on from a store. Locally, I'm stuck with small branches and twigs.

Can't wait to learn more! :D

Bathi
11-10-2023, 04:25 PM
Bathi,
Wonderful start to contest. I'm looking forward to watching as this thread progresses.. best of luck!
Al

Thank You Al :)

Bathi
11-10-2023, 04:26 PM
I agree with Al Bathi, a wonderful start to your story here and also, a beautiful tank. I look forward to learning more about your journey :D
Pat

Thank You Pat :)

Bathi
11-10-2023, 04:32 PM
I'll just parrot what Al and Pat said - beautiful looking tank. I am so jealous of some of the wood pieces that folks on here are able to find or get their hands on from a store. Locally, I'm stuck with small branches and twigs.

Can't wait to learn more! :D

I love covering the tank space with driftwood:D

brewmaster15
11-10-2023, 04:43 PM
Is that driftwood something you bought or did you find it? Thats some serious wood, most suppliers here have small pieces but its hard to find really large wood that has character.

al

LizStreithorst
11-10-2023, 05:06 PM
That is a gorgeous tank. I'm looking forward to updates. Best of luck in the contest.

Bathi
11-10-2023, 10:13 PM
Is that driftwood something you bought or did you find it? Thats some serious wood, most suppliers here have small pieces but its hard to find really large wood that has character.

al

I bought it. Finding large driftwood from the riverbank is not easy.

Bathi
11-10-2023, 10:17 PM
That is a gorgeous tank. I'm looking forward to updates. Best of luck in the contest.

Thank You Liz :)

Bathi
11-10-2023, 11:57 PM
Chapter 02 - Tank Build

What is the size of tank ?

Finally, I decided to build the tank. I conducted research on a suitable tank size, with my goal being to display the tank. A larger height would provide a better view, so I decided to build a tank with more than 3ft in height. However, thanks to this forum, I realized that maintaining a height of more than 2ft is challenging, especially since I'm attempting to create a planted tank.
As for the width, I settled on 2ft. This choice allows for versatility, as it would be suitable for various fish species if I decide to switch to different species in the future.
When it came to the length, I recognized that it could enhance the natural behavior of the fish by providing them with ample territorial spaces. Finally I settled on building a tank with dimensions of 6ft*2ft*2ft, resulting in a capacity of 180 gallons.

What is the tank stand height ?

I decided to make the tank stand 2.5 feet tall, resulting in a final tank height of 4.5ft. Due to this increased height, maintenance will be a bit more challenging, but I prefer the enhanced view of the tank. When I sit in front of the tank at the middle, my eye level aligns perfectly with the tank's height. During the build, I incorporated three light holders into the stand, allowing for easy mounting of the lights.

What is the type of filter ?
I decided to add a sump filter because it is easy to maintain and budget-friendly. I used 4ft*1.5ft*1.5ft tank for the sump, divided into four chambers. The first chamber is intended for mechanical filtration. The second and third chambers are planned for biological filtration. I'm not going to use chemical filtration because I will be adding fertilizers to the tank. In the second chamber, I plan to add K1 in the future. For the third chamber, I used 2.5kg of lava rocks and 25 ceramic bars for biological filtration. I intend to add more biological filter media in the future based on the tank's requirements. Finally, I added a 3800L/h pump in the last chamber.

What is the type of light ?
I decided to add three floodlights. I am going to try using 30W lights. This is my first attempt with floodlights for a planted tank, so I have no idea whether it will succeed or fail.

Bathi
11-17-2023, 03:00 AM
Chapter 03 - Planting

After building the tank, I decided to add plants and start cycling it. Before adding the plants, I added driftwood that I had ordered from a local seller. I secured them using copper screws and designed the driftwood layout according to my preference. Additionally, I used river sand for the substrate and rocks and stones collected from the garden. After that, I decided to make low-tech aquascape.

Why low tech ?
I chose a low-tech setup because it is less expensive. Honestly, I cannot maintain a 6 ft high-tech tank. Tanks that are easy to maintain are more suitable for my lifestyle.

What type of plants ?
Since I'm using four 30W floodlights, I need to carefully select plants suitable for low light. I am considering easy-to-maintain plants for this tank due to its size, so I decided not to use stem plants. Instead, I added low-light rooting plants and epiphytes.

For rooting plants, I mainly used Echinodorus varieties and Cryptocoryne varieties. I used both purple and green-colored Echinodorus types, although I can't remember the exact names now. From the Cryptocoryne varieties, I used Wendtii and Spiralis. Trimming all the emersed leaves from the crypts helped them adapt to submerged conditions easily. I placed all the Echinodorus in the background and used Cryptocoryne for the medium level. I also used Red Tiger Lotus, hoping the lily pads will reach the surface, adding a more natural look to the tank, and making the fish feel safer. Since I'm using river sand, I used smaller pots for the rooting plants, filling them with planting soil and planting Crypts and Echinodorus. After that, I buried those pots under the sand.
For the driftwood, I attached Anubias and ferns. Anubias gilleti was used as the background plant, while Anubias barteri and nana were used for the front of the tank. I placed all the Anubias not under direct light. For the ferns, I used Narrow Leaf Java Fern, Widelov Fern, Needle Fern, and African Water Fern (aka Bolbitis heudelotii). I trimmed all the emersed leaves to help them adapt to submerged conditions and generate new leaves. I placed the ferns under direct light. I also experimented with Hygrophila pinnatifida under direct light because pinnatifida needs CO2 and high light.

What type of Fertilizers ?
I plan to use root tabs and a small dosage of Tropica All-in-One solution for the epiphytes.

jpm995
11-17-2023, 09:59 PM
Did you actually build the tank yourself? Quite a project regardless if you did or not. Tank looks beautiful, great job.

Bathi
11-18-2023, 01:03 AM
Did you actually build the tank yourself? Quite a project regardless if you did or not. Tank looks beautiful, great job.

For the tank, one of my friends glued the glasses. I built the sump and overflow box myself. The tank stand and light stand were built by a local worker as per my requests. That's why those look like DIY. :D

Iminit
11-18-2023, 11:31 AM
Tank looks great! Following! How many discus are you planning to add? Wild or domestic?

Yes it’s getting hard to find large pieces of driftwood in local shops. The prices have just sky rocketed! So they’re not selling. I’ve found some great deals on market place on older tank wood. The ones with drilled holes in them on slate. 80s stuff.

Bathi
11-18-2023, 08:58 PM
Tank looks great! Following! How many discus are you planning to add? Wild or domestic?.

I am planning to keep 10-15 discus. I would like to add wild discus, but they are very hard to find in Sri Lanka. Also, a pair is expensive. Affording six wild discus is something akin to buying two or three Chili Red Arowanas. So I'm going with domestics.

Bathi
11-22-2023, 01:28 AM
Chapter 04 - Tankmates

After the first week of the cycle, I decided to add fish to the tank. I already owned 7 discus and a 15-inch ghost knife fish. The ghost knife is a gentle giant. In the previous tank I put platies with him to control the population. But the result is a lot of platy babies also happily live with the ghost knife. So, in this tank, I decided to add a variety of small fish too.

How many Discus?

Based on the filtration and the main tank water volume, I decided to keep 10-15 adult discus. I want to maintain a natural look, so I decided to keep turquoise varieties, leopards, and red covers. Currently, I own 7 fish. All of them are more than 13 cm with the tail. Also, last year I raised little discus with the big ones. So, in this tank, I added 4 turquoises and 2 red cover babies. These babies are 3-4 cm. Adding babies with adults is an experiment. I want to check how they are growing.

Bottom Cleaners?

I decided to keep a variety of corydoras with the discus. I'm hoping they will eat any uneaten food and, to some extent, clean the substrate. I can't keep the loaches because I'm planning to add snails. Earth eater varieties will keep the sand clean too, but I can't keep them because of the plants. They will uproot the plants. Because of that, cories are my only option. So, I finally purchased six Sterbai cories.

Algae Eaters?

I added several types of algae eaters to maintain a less algae tank. I decided to add snails. Currently, I have 1 nerite and more ramshorn snails. Also, 1 otocinclus and 1 Siamese algae eater. I'm planning to add a bristlenose pleco too, but I need to find a normal one, not the albino.

School Fish?

I decided to add a variety of tetras that schooled very tightly. After research, I found that rummy nose tetras school tightly, especially if there are bigger fish in the tank. So, I bought 20 rummy nose tetras too.

Iminit
11-22-2023, 10:33 AM
Mts snails would have been a better pick. Being sand the mts go into the sand and constantly move it around so there won’t be any trapped gas/dead spots. Have you added the new discus? I do see a small one in there. Did you qt the new guys? The Otto needs company. As does the SAE. The SAE will chase your discus if left alone. But if you add 2 more the three will play an endless game of tag. Being a 180g tank you could easily get 6 ottos in there. They don’t get big and live off of algae and bio-film. Now all of these new fish should be quarantined for at least 4 weeks. Just to make sure they are healthy.

Bathi
11-23-2023, 09:22 AM
Mts snails would have been a better pick. Being sand the mts go into the sand and constantly move it around so there won’t be any trapped gas/dead spots. Have you added the new discus? I do see a small one in there.

Thanks for letting me know about MTS snails. I will definitely add those too.

Have you added the new discus? I do see a small one in there. Did you qt the new guys? The Otto needs company. As does the SAE. The SAE will chase your discus if left alone. But if you add 2 more the three will play an endless game of tag. Being a 180g tank you could easily get 6 ottos in there. They don’t get big and live off of algae and bio-film. Now all of these new fish should be quarantined for at least 4 weeks. Just to make sure they are healthy.

I didn't quarantine all of the fish separately. I treated all the tanks once. I will share more about this in the next chapter. I'm not sure if that process will work or not.
Adding more Ottos and SAE is a good idea. However, in my country, the cost of one Otto is the same as a pair of 4cm discus. SAE is also expensive. Currently, they are schooling with Rummies. Yes, more fish from OTTO and SAE need to be added in the future.

brewmaster15
11-23-2023, 10:26 AM
Your tank is looking great.. My best advice is to quarantine any new fish.. dont skimp on this step . With all the work you have put into this tank.. I'd hate to see you have issues.
Al

ravvlet
11-24-2023, 12:03 AM
Incredible! Love the flood light idea. It creates such a nice effect too. One day I will be more conservative in my planting; I love that you’ve focused the plants around that gorgeous driftwood piece. I “oversalt” with plants and always end up with a jungle.

Bathi
11-24-2023, 05:39 AM
Chapter 05 - Treatments

I didn't quarantine my new fish because I felt the need to treat the entire tank at once. I hadn't boiled the driftwood before adding it to the tank, and I also collected sand from a paddy field. As a precaution, I decided to treat the entire tank for both internal and external parasites. I used EIHO WORM EX and EIHO PRAZI GOLD, continuing the treatment for a duration of 7 days.

Bathi
11-24-2023, 05:42 AM
Your tank is looking great.. My best advice is to quarantine any new fish.. dont skimp on this step . With all the work you have put into this tank.. I'd hate to see you have issues.
Al

I didn't quarantine the new fish this time. But I did something. Please review the latest chapter and share your ideas.

Bathi
11-24-2023, 05:46 AM
Incredible! Love the flood light idea. It creates such a nice effect too. One day I will be more conservative in my planting; I love that you’ve focused the plants around that gorgeous driftwood piece. I “oversalt” with plants and always end up with a jungle.

Yes, the floodlight is adding a shimmering effect to the tank. I will share updates about the plants too.

Bathi
11-28-2023, 03:11 AM
Chapter 06 - Unexpected Loss

I lost three of my healthiest fish, and I'm not sure why.

After seven days of treatment, I performed a 70% water change. I planned to age the water a little bit, test the parameters, and observe how the sump is handling them. After the water change, everything is fine, and all the fish ate well.

After the water change, I was away from home for four days. During this time, my parents fed the exact amount of food that I normally give to my discus. After four days, I returned and saw that the black ghost knife fish was out of its hiding space. During feeding time, the black ghost rejected the food, while all my other discus ate actively. I checked the water parameters and realized that ammonia and nitrite levels were at 0, but the pH was 7. When I did the last water change six days ago, the pH was 6.5. Over the past two years, the ghost fish has occasionally shown this behavior when something is happening in the water. It is more sensitive than the discus. When I realized this unusual behavior from the ghost, it was almost 11 pm, and I decided to change the water the next morning

At 5 am the next day, I checked the tank again and saw that the ghost fish was breathing fast at the top of the water level. I immediately moved it to the hospital tank. After that, I noticed that two of my discus were also breathing fast and coming to the top of the tank. The other discus and tetras seemed fine. But the conditions of both the discus and the ghost fish worsened, and after a few hours, they died. During this time, I did a 50% water change in the main tank.

I tried to analyze what happened. Nothing changed after the water change last week in the main tank. However, for the sump, I added 2L of K3 filter media. I placed this K3 in the first chamber before the filter pads. K3 needs oxygen to function efficiently. That why I removed the filter socks and put K3 in temporarily.

I'm not exactly sure if this is the reason, but I suspect that during the four days, K3 produced a bacteria colony that absorbed oxygen. Somehow, the oxygen levels in the main tank reduced because of this. The ghost knife fish required more oxygen in the water, which is why it showed signs the previous day, and I didn't realize it. After feeding, I lost both of the discus. Both of them were top eaters in my discus gang. I have one discus with a swimming bladder issue, and he eats less and is skinny. But he was also fine after this incident.

So, I assume this happened because of low oxygen levels. I moved the K3 media to chamber 2 and added an air line after that. It seemed like the other fish were fine now.

Both discus and ghost in 2021

Both discus and ghost, before this incident

After the death

When I bought the ghost, he was the size of a guppy. It is one of my all-time favorite fish.

Iminit
11-28-2023, 10:06 AM
Sorry for the lose of your fish!
May be more to this than what you think. I find it hard to believe the k3 could produce so much bacteria that it removed that much oxygen from the tank. May have more to do with the meds added. Do the meds same to add air stones when using? K3 is just a porous rock with a hole in the middle. No different than bio-home or matrix or any of the others. I never read watch out for oxygen depletion when using these products.
I could have been combining those meds or even the 70% water change. Maybe parents fed the wrong stuff. Hard to figure out now but I’d keep an eye out on the other fish. None of the tetras died? Or any other dither fish?

Bathi
11-28-2023, 10:28 AM
Sorry for the lose of your fish!
May be more to this than what you think. I find it hard to believe the k3 could produce so much bacteria that it removed that much oxygen from the tank. May have more to do with the meds added. Do the meds same to add air stones when using? K3 is just a porous rock with a hole in the middle. No different than bio-home or matrix or any of the others. I never read watch out for oxygen depletion when using these products.
I could have been combining those meds or even the 70% water change. Maybe parents fed the wrong stuff. Hard to figure out now but I’d keep an eye out on the other fish. None of the tetras died? Or any other dither fish?

Yes, I also find it hard to believe that K3 removes oxygen from the main tank. However, this is the only area I changed. I have been using these meds for more than 3 years now. They are safe. After the meds and water change, they lived for another 5 days, and I was the one who fed them their last meal. Same pellets, nothing has changed. Tetras are fine, only 2 discus and the ghost. Both of the discus ate very well in their last meal. The ghost is like a test kit. If something is wrong in the water, the ghost will usually show immediate responses on his skin, like fungus. But this time, there were no signs at all.

Red Eye.
11-30-2023, 04:32 AM
Top stuff ...how do you feed the fish?. uneating food must be a problem long term....? have had planted tanks 5x2x2....over head Metal H lamps / CO2...etc.....

My problem is bacteria build up. ??? Uv can help.

but your tank is Spot on so far.....I,m a very postive person at heart ....so please inform me how you feed......small amounts in different places so all the fish get a litte bit of food.

At 52 will Not have a Full planted tank with Discus / Wilds ........................! too many place for old food to sit....even if you have bottom feeders....are they going to find old food under a large log!!.

SORRY.......I,m with UKAPS forum too.....Red eye.

Mark at Devotedly Discus has kept discus since the 90,s keeps at 30C 86F....and does not push planted tanks....which I love but it just does not last long term.

cheers Matthew UK.

Red Eye.
11-30-2023, 06:49 AM
Ammonia spike....?

bluelagoon
11-30-2023, 08:46 AM
I think that they may have been poisoned from 2 types of parasite/deworming meds at once making the potion too strong. Not sure what's in the worm ex but says a strong med; tried to find info on site but found no ingredients.

bluelagoon
11-30-2023, 08:53 AM
A 70% WC that Tom mentioned also may have not helped if you didn't age your water. Especially, if you see a lot of micro bubbles, causing extra stress on the fish.

Bathi
11-30-2023, 01:53 PM
Top stuff ...how do you feed the fish?. uneating food must be a problem long term....? have had planted tanks 5x2x2....over head Metal H lamps / CO2...etc.....

My problem is bacteria build up. ??? Uv can help.

but your tank is Spot on so far.....I,m a very postive person at heart ....so please inform me how you feed......small amounts in different places so all the fish get a litte bit of food.

At 52 will Not have a Full planted tank with Discus / Wilds ........................! too many place for old food to sit....even if you have bottom feeders....are they going to find old food under a large log!!.

SORRY.......I,m with UKAPS forum too.....Red eye.

Mark at Devotedly Discus has kept discus since the 90,s keeps at 30C 86F....and does not push planted tanks....which I love but it just does not last long term.

cheers Matthew UK.

Currently, I'm feeding a homemade fish mix and pellets. I chop them into little pieces. So everyone can eat easily. My overflow chamber gets water from the top and bottom, so mostly uneaten foods and poop are siphoning. Not 100%, something like 75%.
Today, I checked the water parameters too. ammonia 0 and nitrite 0.

I honestly don't know how many days this tank will survive, but I'll try my best. Thank you for the replies, Matthew.

Bathi
11-30-2023, 01:58 PM
I think that they may have been poisoned from 2 types of parasite/deworming meds at once making the potion too strong. Not sure what's in the worm ex but says a strong med; tried to find info on site but found no ingredients.

In my country, most sellers use Wormex after they receive wild-caught fish shipments, also for deworming.

Bathi
11-30-2023, 02:22 PM
A 70% WC that Tom mentioned also may have not helped if you didn't age your water. Especially, if you see a lot of micro bubbles, causing extra stress on the fish.

These fish didn't die during the medication period. After the week, I changed the water by 70% because if any medicines or worms remain, I can remove them from the tank."

These fish didn't die during the medication period, which was 7 days. After that, I changed the water by 70% because if any medicines or worms remained, I could remove them from the tank. Also, after the water change, they lived another 5 days. Both dead discus fish had eaten well the previous day too. If there were issues with the medication process or water, wouldn't they have rejected food and acted strangely the day before?
Yes. Currently, I'm trying to age the water.

Bathi
11-30-2023, 02:26 PM
Guys, thank you very much for the valuable feedbacks. Those are really helping to overcome the current issues.

Iminit
11-30-2023, 04:30 PM
3 fish dying makes it a mystery. Only other thing I can think of is your food mixture. You say it’s a homemade fish mix. Is that a fresh fish mix? As in you cut up fish to add to the food mix? Than maybe it was the fresh fish?

Bathi
11-30-2023, 09:52 PM
3 fish dying makes it a mystery. Only other thing I can think of is your food mixture. You say it’s a homemade fish mix. Is that a fresh fish mix? As in you cut up fish to add to the food mix? Than maybe it was the fresh fish?

During those days, I didn't give the homemade mix, only pellets. I made the mix because some of the juvenile discus don't like to eat pellets.

Yes, the mystery of three fish dying is puzzling. The ghost was more sensitive, but the two discus were among the top eaters. In the pecking order, one held a higher rank among the adults, and the other held a higher rank among the juveniles.

Bathi
11-30-2023, 10:01 PM

I'm feeding JPD Akafuji and JPD Shori as the pellets. These are koi pellets mainly designed to enhance colors and promote growth. Yes, the homemade mix is made from tuna, prawns, and garlic.

Red Eye.
12-01-2023, 04:20 AM
No Problem Bathi we are all in this together or we shouldn,t be on this forum...

would like a tec break down of your tank really looking for info on your overflow chamber set up.

I,m still learning about modern ways for discus.

Bathi
12-01-2023, 08:45 PM
No Problem Bathi we are all in this together or we shouldn,t be on this forum...

would like a tec break down of your tank really looking for info on your overflow chamber set up.

I,m still learning about modern ways for discus.

It's hard to explain the overflow chamber without a video, so I found a YouTube video. This is the same method I'm using.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLvvQ3Dw6LM
I modified some steps based on my requirements.

Bathi
12-03-2023, 11:46 PM
Chapter 07 - Echinodorus Replanting

I have noticed that the previously added Echinodorus plants are not growing and appear to be dying. The main issue is that these Echinodorus plants were intended as background plants, so I positioned them behind the driftwood. Additionally, I had previously ordered small plants, and I believe they suffered from a lack of light.

To address this, I decided to introduce larger Echinodorus plants to the tank, ordering plants with a height of more than 12 inches. Echinodorus is known for its heavy rooting, so I planted them in pots. This way, I can easily rearrange them in the future if any issues arise.

Red Eye.
12-04-2023, 06:31 AM
They are hungry plants ....and sometimes they need a break out in the open....

Bathi
12-05-2023, 10:25 PM
They are hungry plants ....and sometimes they need a break out in the open....

Yes, once they are stable, it's very easy to maintain. I hope they are growing tall and adding more dark green color to the setup. I feel like the tank is still empty.

Bathi
12-08-2023, 11:18 PM
Chapter 08 - Catappa Leaves

I noticed that during the week after the water changed, the pH value is increasing in the tank. I think it's because of the river sand. Also, most of the time, my discus are hiding in the driftwood. They come out only during feeding time. Because of these reasons, I decided to add catappa leaves. It will add some level of tanning color. I think it will provide more safety and a comfortable feeling for my discus. I hope catappa leaves will balance the pH level too.

Second Hand Pat
12-09-2023, 07:39 AM
Hi Bathi, check to see if your sand source is inert. If yes then it will not affect your Ph.
Pat

Iminit
12-09-2023, 11:26 AM
Well the sand is from a lake so I doubt it’s inert. Lot going on here and a lot of new stuff in the tank. Not a good idea to chase the ph. Better to find out why it’s rising? This being a new tank it may still be cycling. Dead material inthe sand may have caused some sort of bubble of bad air coming out of the sand and killing the fish. Next in all pics your discus are showing their stress bars. They don’t look happy. If it was just figuring out who’s in charge some wouldn’t have had lines. Tank looks great but you’ve got a lot of sand and dead spaces. Not good in discus tanks.

As to your plants. They were grown emersed. Roots in water leaves above. This is what seller’s do. They look nicer this way. The give away is the round leaves. Once submerged these leaves will die off for long straight leaves. This will take time. Swords are huge root eaters. So root tabs do help. But again now that’s something else added to that tank. Best to grow these out in another tank or look to buy submerged ones already.

I wouldn’t start adding those leaves till you get the tank stable. You’re heading to a dark water tank. People usually have this type of tank stable before adding discus. Discus are known to need clean water not fluctuating water. May be best now to pull your discus into your qt tank and get this main tank stabilized.

Bathi
12-09-2023, 07:57 PM
Hi Bathi, check to see if your sand source is inert. If yes then it will not affect your Ph.
Pat

Sand collected from a lake. I'm not 100% sure if the pH is rising due to the sand. It will take a week to increase from 6.5 to 7.0

Bathi
12-09-2023, 09:18 PM
Well the sand is from a lake so I doubt it’s inert. Lot going on here and a lot of new stuff in the tank. Not a good idea to chase the ph. Better to find out why it’s rising? This being a new tank it may still be cycling. Dead material inthe sand may have caused some sort of bubble of bad air coming out of the sand and killing the fish. Next in all pics your discus are showing their stress bars. They don’t look happy. If it was just figuring out who’s in charge some wouldn’t have had lines. Tank looks great but you’ve got a lot of sand and dead spaces. Not good in discus tanks.

Thanks for the honest comment.

Yes, a lot of new things have been added to the tank, so it's hard to determine why the pH is rising. Normally, I believe driftwood is supposed to reduce the pH. Therefore, I suspect that the sand is causing the rise. With a 50% water change per week, I can lower the pH back to 6.5. Also, I don't think pH 7 is the issue. I believe the 6.5 range is more comfortable for them. The purpose of this tank is not the weekly water change.

Yes, the tank is still cycling. I think it will take at least 6 months for a tank like this with driftwood and sand.

I think my discus are now stable in the tank. They are laying eggs and establishing the pecking order.

I agree about dead spaces. If we are going to add rooting plants, there are definitely dead spaces. I'm going to try to maintain a minimum of dead spaces. It looks like you have had bad experiences with planted discus tanks! :D

I agree about the 'not good in a discus tank' comment too. But I still believe we can blend discus and a planted tank together. I'm trying to figure out my chances and overcome the issues based on the experiences of people in this forum. :)

Anyway, if this is not successful, I will change the discus and add different fish varieties to this tank. Because the first priority is maintaining the tank, which helps to relax my mind. Only natural lookig setups are going to help.

Bathi
12-09-2023, 09:43 PM
As to your plants. They were grown emersed. Roots in water leaves above. This is what seller’s do. They look nicer this way. The give away is the round leaves. Once submerged these leaves will die off for long straight leaves. This will take time. Swords are huge root eaters. So root tabs do help. But again now that’s something else added to that tank. Best to grow these out in another tank or look to buy submerged ones already.

I wouldn’t start adding those leaves till you get the tank stable. You’re heading to a dark water tank. People usually have this type of tank stable before adding discus. Discus are known to need clean water not fluctuating water. It may be best now to pull your discus into your qt tank and get this main tank stabilized.

It's hard to find submerged Echinodorus varieties. Normally, I cut the emersed leaves for fast adaptability. But for these plants, I didn't cut the leaves. I believe it's more suitable this time to adapt to the environment over a longer period.

I'm not going to add a lot of leaves and create a dark water tank. My purpose is to add a light yellow color to the tank and maintain a pH of 6.5 without increasing it. I'm a lazy person when it comes to moving fish tank to tank. :( Catching discus from this tank is a nightmare.

bluelagoon
12-10-2023, 09:01 AM
If you want to see if the substrate has lime, calcium or other causing an increase in PH. Use can use vinegar. Put a tsp. of substrate in a jar of vinegar and if you see micro bubbles or frizzing on it, then you have alkaline material in the substrate.

Bathi
12-11-2023, 04:39 AM
If you want to see if the substrate has lime, calcium or other causing an increase in PH. Use can use vinegar. Put a tsp. of substrate in a jar of vinegar and if you see micro bubbles or frizzing on it, then you have alkaline material in the substrate.

Thanks for the valuable tips.

Bathi
01-17-2024, 05:16 AM
Chapter 10 - Three-Month Update.

During the past 3 months, I have faced a lot of issues stabilizing the tank. I lost two of my favorite fish, dealt with plant growth issues, and faced algae problems. This is the current look of my tank.

Also thanks to this forum, I saw other members sharing their tank videos from YouTube. So, I decided to share my tank videos as well using YouTube. It also helps free up some of my google drive memory. ;)

You guys can compare the Chapter 1 picture with the current look.

https://youtube.com/shorts/u_6uo4XJvHk?si=_LqtxbY43KiBd3D5

Iminit
01-17-2024, 10:16 AM
Ok Bathi on the utube video if you remove the s on the https the video show directly here. Next hard to tell cause the video is very dark but are you discus black? I can see one is blue but the pets look black and that could be a problem.

Bathi
01-17-2024, 09:27 PM
Ok Bathi on the utube video if you remove the s on the https the video show directly here.

Thank you.:)
I tried. But its not working. I clicked the video button and enter the url with http. But its not going to play in here

Next hard to tell cause the video is very dark but are you discus black? I can see one is blue but the pets look black and that could be a problem.
No. They are not black. Its because lights are pointing to the middle and back of the tank. So front glass is shadow area.

Bathi
01-17-2024, 09:55 PM
http://www.youtube.com/shorts/u_6uo4XJvHk

Finally..:D

brewmaster15
01-22-2024, 09:15 AM
http://www.youtube.com/shorts/u_6uo4XJvHk

Finally..:D
BATHI, You made a really nice video here. Very peaceful. Nicely done!

Bathi
01-26-2024, 06:20 AM
BATHI, You made a really nice video here. Very peaceful. Nicely done!

Thank You so much. Now i know how hard it is to capture the proper video. :D

Bathi
02-11-2024, 09:47 PM
Been busy these past weeks, so updates slipped my mind. Dropped by today to post, only to find the contest nearly over. Anyway, I'm hoping to share my updates from time to time. Because planted tanks need over 6 months to stabilize and unveil their final beauty. I hope this thread stays open!

Chapter 11 - "Now, there's something for Diary about my hobby to reveal."

As i mentioned Chapter 1, my participation here aims to give something back to this community that taught me much about discus.
As a Buddhist, I value karma—the belief that good deeds yield positive returns. I'm convinced I've already been rewarded for my intentions.

Thanks to this thread, my world's expanded beyond discus and planted tanks. I've dived into YouTube, video editing, and videography, mastering new skills. Months in, I'm truly content with my progress.

If you're keen on my hobby updates, these links will guide you

Intagram - bathis.aquariums (https://www.instagram.com/bathis.aquariums?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sh eet&igsh=ZDNlZDc0MzIxNw==)
YouTube - BathisAquariums (https://youtube.com/@BathisAquariums?si=_W16WOww8XcouikU)

http://www.youtube.com/shorts/JhTjvOH1DM4

brewmaster15
02-11-2024, 09:53 PM
HI Bathi, we will definitely not be closing any of these threads and encourage you to post your continuing story ..
Thanks for participating!

Al

Bathi
02-11-2024, 10:13 PM
HI Bathi, we will definitely not be closing any of these threads and encourage you to post your continuing story ..
Thanks for participating!

Al

Thanks for the encourage us with contest like this. :)

Bathi
02-24-2024, 03:39 AM
Chapter 12 - "Discus to Angels"

The planted discus tank is going to be converted into a planted angel fish tank. With my current busy lifestyle, I'm finding more enjoyment in caring for easier fish. Most weeks, I'm only home 3 days per week. Anyway, angels have always been my all-time favorite. Alums are my dream fish. I've added locally bred Manacapuru angels to the tank. Let's see how it goes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcjOIPX_Vl0&t=12s

Second Hand Pat
02-24-2024, 06:34 AM
Hi Bathi, this is a totally gorgeous tank and the music added is perfect. Am I wrong in thinking the discus seems to be hiding a lot? Did you QT the angels prior to adding to the tank?
Pat

Bathi
02-24-2024, 09:01 AM
Hi Bathi, this is a totally gorgeous tank and the music added is perfect. Am I wrong in thinking the discus seems to be hiding a lot? Did you QT the angels prior to adding to the tank?
Pat
Angels were quarantined for 2 weeks before being added to the main tank. Yes, 2 of my discus were showing symptoms of a swim bladder disorder before I added them to this tank as well. One of them has been in the hospital tank for more than 3 weeks now, not eating anything and remaining completely in a head-down position, suffering, but not dead yet. The other one is in the main tank and eating well. Three of the larger discus are also hiding; however, they are eating, and 2 of them are breeding too. These two normally do not hide, but the other one is always hiding and only comes out after the lights are turned off. The breeding pair is always breeding. For food, they come out one by one. I'm worried about them too. This breeding activity also seems too much now.

Also, it looks like something is going on in the tank, but I cannot figure it out.

bluelagoon
02-24-2024, 09:30 AM
A beautiful tank and angels will do a lot better with your routine and a planted tank. Angels have been my life long favorite of all the fish I've kept over the years.

Bathi
02-24-2024, 11:43 AM
A beautiful tank and angels will do a lot better with your routine and a planted tank. Angels have been my life long favorite of all the fish I've kept over the years.

Thank you.
Those larger discus have been with me for more than 3 years. Previously, they were not in a bare-bottom tank either. However, back then, I had the time to medicate them if they showed any signs of illness. Now, it's not like that. I don't have time for medications.