PDA

View Full Version : Angels Angels who has Angels...

brewmaster15
11-10-2023, 08:43 PM
Once upon A time there was a discus guy that got into Angelfish.. and omg what a mistake that was! That discus guy was me...and I bred alot of them. I was literally using garbage cans in my garage to grow out fry. I had silvers, marbled,albino pearlscale, wild scalare , wild crosses and of course Altums. Even had discus raise my angel fry. I was over run with them and sent them to many friends... its been years but I am curious if anyone still has any of them or their offspring?

Im also curious if any one is breeding angels here and what you are working on. I'm finding myself toying with getting a tank of angels again. Its been years.

seanyuki
11-10-2023, 11:30 PM
Just sharing….. F2 Rio Atabapo Altum Angelfish produced by Discus America in our Altum Angelfish breeding facility in Las Vegas NV.
Discus America is the largest Altum Angelfish breeder in United States and the only place you can find tank bred F2 Rio Atabapo Altum Angelfish, currently in Las Vegas Tap water at 7.9ph and 410tds. Few groups of 6 and 10 will be added to our website Sunday night and it will be ready to ship Tuesday and Wednesday.

LizStreithorst
11-11-2023, 10:10 AM
I"m the same as you with them, Al. It's too easy to get overrun since they breed like crazy, even when I cut the odds of success by only parent-raising. I'm tempted from time to time, but I've learned my lesson. Angels or Discus, not both. And now that I'm getting Discus spawning again, I even plan not to breed rams after this last batch is gone.

Willie
11-12-2023, 10:05 PM
Liz, there's a simple solution. I keep Manacapurus and altums. If they were to spawn for me, I'm sure I'll find a solution.

Both groups came from Tangled Up In Cichlids two years ago. The Manacapurus (wild caught P. scalare) have the golden brown shoulders and grow huge, although not as big as the altums.

Despite what the literature/Internet may suggest, these fish do much better with high aeration. So they're always kept in a tank with a wavemaker.

seanyuki
11-12-2023, 10:41 PM
Nice angels Willie, saw in an advertisement F2 Rio Atabapo Altum Angelfish 6 for US $400.

Pardal
11-12-2023, 11:00 PM
Al
I'm guilty of that although in my case is the reverse . I was an Angels guy until I move to full discus around 2005 or so, today I still have some 3 breeding pairs that I letting the eggs go , as I don't want to end up with hundreds of angels again and have a hard time to get a home for them. They are two pairs o blue/silver and a Paraiba and black . 137444137445137446

Pardal
11-12-2023, 11:04 PM
Liz, there's a simple solution. I keep Manacapurus and altums. If they were to spawn for me, I'm sure I'll find a solution.

Both groups came from Tangled Up In Cichlids two years ago. The Manacapurus (wild caught P. scalare) have the golden brown shoulders and grow huge, although not as big as the altums.

Despite what the literature/Internet may suggest, these fish do much better with high aeration. So they're always kept in a tank with a wavemaker.

Beautiful Angels.

brewmaster15
11-13-2023, 08:08 AM
Willie, you are not helping.. lol. Really nice tank of Angels !

Julian those are really nice pairs. And that is problem isnt it... finding a home for the fry when there are hundreds each spawn.my LFS when we had LFS near us would take a handful at a time for literally nothing. I was out checking out shops this past week looking to see what was out there for fish in general... was surprised to see quarter size domestic angels for $20 a piece....

Discus Fever
11-13-2023, 01:11 PM
Oh boy this subject comes at a good time, my wife just asked me the other day if I was going to get back into angels again. I remember drop shipping these things in the early 90's where at the time myself and angels plus were the only 2 doing it full time back then. Back then I had over 100 tanks full of angels and I agree with everyone else they take over quickly and not easy to sell them as fast as they breed. I must admit if I was to get a tank of angels again they would be the Altums. If I could get reliable sources to buy a good amount of angels every week or two I would get back into them again. Until then I will have to take a pass on them right now.

Charlyc11
11-13-2023, 01:20 PM
I am not breeding Rams already only a few left in my tanks. Also ABN's but wound up with a bach by mistake.

I"m the same as you with them, Al. It's too easy to get overrun since they breed like crazy, even when I cut the odds of success by only parent-raising. I'm tempted from time to time, but I've learned my lesson. Angels or Discus, not both. And now that I'm getting Discus spawning again, I even plan not to breed rams after this last batch is gone.

brewmaster15
11-13-2023, 01:38 PM
I am not breeding Rams already only a few left in my tanks. Also ABN's but wound up with a bach by mistake.

Kinda of funny.. you guys get out of Rams and I have blacks,golds, dutch blue and wild Rams that I am planning on breeding. I also plan on getting bolivian rams .

Charlyc11
11-13-2023, 01:45 PM
You have to much time on your hands. But that's a good thing keep it up Al those tiny fry are a nightmare to keep alive.

LGelb
11-13-2023, 02:57 PM
Liz, do you have black ram pairs available

Willie
11-13-2023, 11:51 PM
The issues with angels, actually with breeding just about any fish, is not how many you can spawn, but how many you can sell. So I try to spawn only strains that sell themselves. I have been struggling for the past 5 years to spawn high quality kois.

...Like I said, it's a struggle.

Pardal
11-15-2023, 02:07 PM
Willie, you are not helping.. lol. Really nice tank of Angels !

Julian those are really nice pairs. And that is problem isnt it... finding a home for the fry when there are hundreds each spawn.my LFS when we had LFS near us would take a handful at a time for literally nothing. I was out checking out shops this past week looking to see what was out there for fish in general... was surprised to see quarter size domestic angels for $20 a piece....

Yes Al , here in North Florida last time I checked was $30 for Adults in the independent LFS , the chain stores you don't see them that much just smallest dime body which are $ 9.99 so is about the same.

bluelagoon
11-16-2023, 09:19 AM
This was my last tank of angels. That've gotten older and beginning to die off. They all paired up but I didn't raise any. There not like regular angels when fry hatch, they seem to be blind for a few days and difficult to find food. I didn't have a proper tank set up for breeding them. They need a tank with outside light. Every time I turned the lights on it would knock the new babies all to the bottom and die. Might have worked if I put a breeding tank next to a window to get some ambient light. Plus aglae for food may have helped. I've have regular angels including wilds throughout my years and they all raised fry like a pro. I do have a few more other angels here now. Seems I've always had an angel tank.

brewmaster15
11-16-2023, 10:03 AM
This was my last tank of angels. That've gotten older and beginning to die off. They all paired up but I didn't raise any. There not like regular angels when fry hatch, they seem to be blind for a few days and difficult to find food. I didn't have a proper tank set up for breeding them. They need a tank with outside light. Every time I turned the lights on it would knock the new babies all to the bottom and die. Might have worked if I put a breeding tank next to a window to get some ambient light. Plus aglae for food may have helped. I've have regular angels including wilds throughout my years and they all raised fry like a pro. I do have a few more other angels here now. Seems I've always had an angel tank.

They are beautiful Mervin. I know what you mean about breeding them. When I was into Angels Kenny (Kennys Discus) gave me a pair of Albino Pearl scale he had been breeding. Those were some of my most challenging to breed.. albino discus are bad enough but albino angels just really were a pain.

al

brewmaster15
11-16-2023, 10:09 AM
Heres a great example of what happens when you start breeding Angels. It goes back to when Hans wanted to breed them for his petshop customers.. I was overrun with them so I did what any hobbyist does...pass along the bounty to their friends....

https://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?95501-Got-Angels

Between those I sent and the others he got as stock... Hans was literally swimming in Angels!:)

al

brewmaster15
11-16-2023, 10:13 AM
Then there was this thread...from my insane Angelfish breeding days...

https://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?50460-So-this-is-what-happens!!!!-Angels-anyone!!!

These are the ones I miss the the most...

Discus Fever
11-16-2023, 10:50 AM
LOL AL, that brings back memories of what my tanks looked like.

brewmaster15
11-16-2023, 01:58 PM
LOL AL, that brings back memories of what my tanks looked like.

Your Welcome for reminding you... incase you thought about angels again!
:evilgrin:

ravvlet
11-20-2023, 11:38 PM
They had some really gorgeous angels at auction this past weekend at the Greater Seattle aquarium society. I was sorely tempted by a big male Pinoy who had clear signs of being bullied by his tankmates, but nowhere to put him, so he went for about $40. I got some really terrible photos of them:

I am a sucker for dark and blue.

The koi pair was high red I think, but not enough black/marble striping for me! Of course, I’ve never bred angels so I’m not sure how their patterning does or does not pass on.

These two together went for only $35? I think? I don’t know much about angelfish conformation or if they’re a good pair, but they looked good to a layman like me!

Unrelated but someone brought a ton of axolotls also, who all went for less than $5 each. I suspect no one had tank space for those poor fellas. I’m glad I didn’t bring my kids; they’d have insisted on all of the above, and we don’t have tank space either!

brewmaster15
11-21-2023, 08:16 AM
Unrelated but someone brought a ton of axolotls also, who all went for less than $5 each. I suspect no one had tank space for those poor fellas. I’m glad I didn’t bring my kids; they’d have insisted on all of the above, and we don’t have tank space either!

Thats the problem with Axolotls.. they are difficult to breed until they are are not and you are over run. Actually for most fish breeders axolotls are easy.. too easy..

They also take up alot of room depending on the age. They go through a period of time where they are cannibals...nipped and missing toes and legs will grow back but usually the aggressor grows faster and literally starts eating everyone else.... whole or piece by piece. Keeping them well fed is really effective at reducing sibling genocide. The cannibal phase does not last long though.

Our first Axolotl stock was from a guy that tried a few years to breed them... then regretted succeeding. I PAID $5 each for 20 juveniles ..kept a few pairs to practice with and it was all over.lol

The Axolotls market is pretty saturated now.. I blame the pandemic and minecraft. Minecraft came up with axolotls in the game and every one wanted one as a pet.

ravvlet
11-21-2023, 02:47 PM
Ugh, yep, Minecraft is exactly why my kids want them! Before my divorce I had a solo axolotl in a planted 75; he was a very cool guy. Sadly couldn’t take the tank with me. This was about 10 years ago now when they were a little harder to find.

It actually had originally been an angel tank; but all my angels had been cheapies from a big box store, and one of them went on a rampage until he or she was the only one left - and it was a big ole fish! The LFS bought them off me when I decided to change up the tank. Talk about a rough learning experience though.

DallasFishGuy
12-23-2023, 09:16 PM
ive got angels. a bit off topic I guess but what is your experience with angels and discus in the same aquarium? Is this doable? or a no no, no matter the situation, numbers, tanks size, etc..

Johanna
12-30-2023, 07:22 PM
When it comes to my favourite fish, angels are my first love, discus come second. I've had angels as long as I can remember, regular, wild (including leopoldi but never altum). Never bred them on purpose but yeah, it just happens sometimes :p The reason I decided to get discus again was because I'd had such awful experiences with angels and aggression. They literally killed each other, even the wild-caught leopoldis. I wanted schooling fish that would be easier to keep as adults in a larger group in my new big tank. But I ended up keeping my last 2 five-year-old angels as they happened to be both males (actually brothers), easy-going with each other as they've always lived together and there are no females to fight over, and they're so handsome I didn't want to re-home them. 30C generally makes angels breed and so become aggressive so many people say they don't mix well with discus. I haven't had problems so far, maybe because there's plenty of room for both of them and no chance of the angels pairing up... although they do occasionally clean plant leaves together and then get mad at each other when it goes no further. They don't pay any attention at all to the discus and only argue mildly with each other, usually over food.