PDA

View Full Version : minimum discus for peaceful tank?

jpm995
11-10-2023, 11:45 PM
I'm setting up a pond in my small Greenhouse, it's 125 gal [Maccourt, plastic about 6'x5', 18"at deepest with plant shelves at either end 9" deep]. I would like to add a few discus about 2-3". Would like to go with three discus but afraid this might not work. There's enough room and visual breaks so a timid fish could avoid harassment, just not sure if it's enough. Appreciate any advice.

seanyuki
11-11-2023, 12:31 AM
It always establishes a pecking order. This is the reason people will say to keep at least 6. The higher the number of fish the less you will see the problem as the aggression gets spread out over the entire tank.
You always have a runt. They set a pecking order and whoever is on bottom will always be the smallest.

Iminit
11-11-2023, 12:58 AM
Interesting idea! But it does get cold on the island:). Discus do like warm water. May be time to set up that big tank :). Never heard of putting discus in a pond. Definitely interested and will be waiting for pictures. I’ve got bushy nose plecos if you want to put a couple in there. Also growing out some bosemani rainbows.

brewmaster15
11-11-2023, 01:16 AM
I'm setting up a pond in my small Greenhouse, it's 125 gal [Maccourt, plastic about 6'x5', 18"at deepest with plant shelves at either end 9" deep]. I would like to add a few discus about 2-3". Would like to go with three discus but afraid this might not work. There's enough room and visual breaks so a timid fish could avoid harassment, just not sure if it's enough. Appreciate any advice.
Hi Jim,
That sounds similar to the 125 gal plastic pond I have in my yard. I think if you put discus in it you will not even see them. Is there a reason you want to add discus? Whats your goal here?
Al

jpm995
11-11-2023, 04:20 PM
Thanks everyone appreciate the responses. My goal here is i just love Tropicals and Discus to me have always been the king of freshwater fish. I've kept them over the years but only one per tank. My small Greenhouse [@ 7x15'] attaches to a 12x17' shed so total square foot about 300. Right now i'm using a small electric heater and a wood stove to heat the unit. Yesterday i ran a 220-volt power line to shed and plan to add a mini-split heat pump [18k btu?] in the next few weeks. The shed is my mancave with a home gym. Ran enet and coax cable along with power. I know Tropicals don't show well in ponds but the glo zebra danios, golden white clouds are exceptions. I figure a few striking-colored discus may show well. I'll post some pics after i add some trim to pond edge. Edit to add i think a school of Cardinals would also show well.

jpm995
11-11-2023, 04:30 PM
Not done yet but here's some pic's. Pond is about 6x5'.

jpm995
11-11-2023, 04:39 PM
Thanks' Tom, might take you up on the Pleco, always liked those.

seanyuki
11-11-2023, 05:13 PM
18000 litres discus pond in Indonesia

http://youtu.be/vvEuA4uXOBc?si=4VFG0AFy3-V2FvWp

Iminit
11-11-2023, 08:32 PM
Ok Jim. Now you need to figure out how to make that viewing thing. And train your discus to use it. Pond looks great. Nice greenhouse!

jpm995
11-11-2023, 08:53 PM
Thanks Tom. I could not figure how that thing works. Plus getting discus to use it seems impossible. The build has been a nightmare. The Greenhouse was a quality used unit but making it fit my shed was a disaster. I had to go around beefing up parts of the frame that were cut. It still has many leaks and air gaps i need to address. When we attached the GH to the shed i found all the stud bottoms and sill plates were rotted/eaten by ants. Wife thinks i'm nuts with this project, she may be right.

Willie
11-12-2023, 12:00 AM
Any discus you buy has been raised as part of a large spawn in a glass tank. Putting just a few 2" - 3" fish in a large volume is likely not going to be successful. You do better with getting 8 - 10 fish or raising some out in a smaller tank first.