PDA

View Full Version : Europa Discus Center - video

For100
12-03-2023, 09:08 PM
His,

I had spare time this afternoon (no kids soccer tournament) and came across this YouTube video. High end German breeding facility, I found it quite amazing. It is not the first time I heard about them, but first time watching who they are.

https://youtu.be/uyiZaIpJnE8?si=zumZQO_LkjK8_4GG

bluelagoon
12-04-2023, 08:48 AM
Thanks for sharing. One interesting thing that he mentioned was a seafood mix and not to feed your discus beef heart. I did see some pitting on the blue discus.

Red Eye.
12-04-2023, 10:10 AM
Thanks for sharing. One interesting thing that he mentioned was a seafood mix and not to feed your discus beef heart. I did see some pitting on the blue discus.

yes I saw this video yesterday ......Beefheart was a big no no.... yellow liver?.

For100
12-04-2023, 01:21 PM
I would say most of what they say is common knowledge in this forum…. Things that capture my attention were:

1.- diet low in beef heart, or not at all. Interesting their approach with a seafood formula.

2.- breeding pairs did not seem to be huge like at other breeder I have seen before. They also mention breeding pairs age was 12-15months, I wonder if this applies to their BDs and other blue based fish.

3.- Water changes regime is pretty light with a lot of emphasis in filtration. No central system either.

Overall, pretty cool set up. Just wish I could have a 1/10 of what they have in place for my own enjoyment.

Discus Fever
12-04-2023, 01:30 PM
They do have beautiful discus

Red Eye.
12-06-2023, 04:52 AM

What are your feelings about Beefheart....? and yellow Livers ??

bluelagoon
12-06-2023, 08:28 AM
I only used it for a short while. I found it to be more water fouling and more WC's needed when I used it. IMO, you can buy better high protein foods for fish. Beef protein is a very cheap way to go especially for a breeders and those who sell large quantities of discus and other fish too. It's more a profit thing for those folks. Alth, I was told and read many years ago not to feed mammalian food to fish in general. It was only when I came to SD and say folks using it for high protein growth food. I don't think that's necessary having better sources of protein like dried blackworms and bloodworms which are both high in proteins and easier to digest, less messy water than I think the beefheart mix. After all these years being here on SD, I sill feel that mammalian food is not the healthiest way to get protein into ornamental fish. I've never heard the term yellow liver.