PDA

View Full Version : Looking for discus selection recommendations

fishy_jim
12-28-2023, 08:55 PM
I'm very close to making my discus purchase in the next few weeks but cant decide stocking. What would be best?

8 all the same strain
2 each of 4 strains
4 each of 2 strains
8 all different strains

Would any of those combinations have any benefit over the other or make no difference at all? Also, would I see a big difference in getting 3.5" size over 4" size in terms of care?

fljones3
12-28-2023, 09:07 PM
Are they all from the same vendor?

Iminit
12-28-2023, 10:31 PM
Really comes down to what you want. Even coming from the same vendor they could be coming from different breeders. For me I go with different fish. I just like the look. I usually buy by pairs. So 4 pairs.

fishy_jim
12-28-2023, 10:53 PM
Are they all from the same vendor?

Yes, they will all be from the same vendor.

danotaylor
12-31-2023, 04:35 AM
When I bought 8 discus back in 2018 I got 2 each of same variety or color. This is what they looked like;

At the end of the day mate, it is just dependent on your preference. You're the one that has to look at & enjoy your selection!

Second Hand Pat
12-31-2023, 07:44 AM
Jim, this really is a personal preference thing. I have seen folks new to discus at first go for a fish of each color and as time passes they seem to go to a single strain or color.
Pat

Johanna
12-31-2023, 01:17 PM
Jim, this really is a personal preference thing. I have seen folks new to discus at first go for a fish of each color and as time passes they seem to go to a single strain or color.
Pat

Yes, definitely a question of personal preference! For me, it was vice versa... I had planned to buy all 7 of the same strain or at least all blue. But when I went to pick them up from the breeder I just liked all the new (for me) and interesting variations and decided to get one of each instead. I like that my fish are all individuals with different colour patterns.