PDA

View Full Version : Good memories

Kingdom Come Discus
01-02-2024, 12:34 AM
https://youtu.be/z8dTrKvarfw?feature=shared

brewmaster15
01-02-2024, 05:21 AM
Kraig do you think you will ever have a tank of discus again? As a hobbyist ?

Al

Kingdom Come Discus
01-02-2024, 11:27 PM
I still don't have the appetite. Whenever I get the urge I remember how I felt when my fish were not feeling well. I had three catastrophies which I never thought I would recover from financially. I also have to deal with the water damage in our home from many different overflows and spills. I remember going after my first import in Atlanta. We just got the fish room finished and I had left my construction crew to finish up the plumbing for the blower. One guy dropped a pair of vise grips into a 150 long. It not only blew out the bottom of it but it blew out the 125 gallon directly below it and two 75 gallon tanks across the isle. Lucky a friend had a new fish shop and let my guys grab two 150 gallon tanks. He did give them to me at his cost. I still find glass from time to time. The biggest reason I don't think it will happen again is my wife says no! Which I understand completely. When I left the hobby 11 years ago medication was getting hard to get a hold of. A tub of Prazi was $750.00. Then you have the parasite, I can't remember the name, but it gets into the cells of the fish and affects the brain. A fish pathologist at the University of Florida told me that parasite, which came from African cichlids was now in 80% of all tropical fresh water fish they test! There wasn't a safe treatment then. Not sure about now. I prefer to visit others with discus. I have a friend who has me help him from time to time with his poorly maintained tanks. There were many good times too! The support I got from the Simply Discus family was second to none. I feel indebted to all who helped. I miss the NADA shows, as that was a good fix for discus fever. Would I be able to do just one tank? Maybe if they had birth control for discus. I actually have been thinking about contacting Larry Bugg about a visit for another fix. He is about as close as anyone I know with fish and a good fun guy! I am glad you have kept this place going Al, Pat, Liz, Josie and the many others who contribute here. Long live Simply Discus!

brewmaster15
01-02-2024, 11:52 PM
If you do run into Larry Bugg tell him I was asking about him and not to be a stranger. Be great to see him pop in from time to time. :)

As for your discus keeping prospects.. Several of us have some nice breeding projects going on when you get the itch. We will leave the light on. :)

Second Hand Pat
01-03-2024, 07:46 AM
Hi Kraig, nice to see you on SD. Please visit more often. I wonder what Larry is up too fish wise also. If you holler at him tell him to come visit SD :)
Pat

Kingdom Come Discus
01-03-2024, 07:32 PM
I didn't know Larry wasn't a frequent visitor here lately. I will see if I can get a hold of him.

Glad to be back Pat. Thanks

LizStreithorst
01-03-2024, 08:50 PM
He pops in once in a while. Last time he was here he was showing us his beautifully planted Rainbow fish tank. He had Milleniums and Neons. My two favorite Rainbows, too.

One of these days, I will toss the ugly mutts I accidentally bred and replace them with those 2 strains. My pretty mutts and my ancient Bosemani pair can stay.

Red Eye.
01-04-2024, 04:25 AM
Its a hard hobby for sure...I had left for 5 years.....but maybe its the challenge we all love.

Kingdom Come Discus
01-09-2024, 12:47 AM
Larry was always so kind to me. A real class act!