PDA

View Full Version : Wigglers

mleibowi
01-09-2024, 10:31 PM
2.5 years later, my turq and pigeon blood created wigglers. I can see a little yoke sac. A few fell of the driftwood and became a snack for the rummy nose and and cardinal tetras. What do I do? Should I move the parents to a 40 gal breeder and have them try again?

brewmaster15
01-09-2024, 11:09 PM
Mike, I won't pull any punches... fry are alot of work. If you move the pair to their own tank and they breed.. its the coolest thing but you will definitely be busy caring for them... and then you need to have the tank space to raise them. Is this your goal?

Al

mleibowi
01-09-2024, 11:22 PM
Good point- no, Al. They are very aggressive especially the huge male. I can’t believe the spawn was a success considering the cross contamination I had and I use non-aged tap water.

mleibowi
01-11-2024, 12:57 PM
Al-
Surprisingly, the fry are still alive but must getting eaten. They are attached to dark piece of wood. I assume they are confusing the wood for their parents and are trying to feed?
Thanks
Mike

danotaylor
01-11-2024, 01:09 PM
Mike, another factor here is that crossing a Turq to pigeon blood strain will most likely result in heavily peppered fry which are typically less desirable and difficult to sell. This makes the process of rearing and raising them less rewarding unless you plan to keep the fry for yourself. One of the things I hate doing is raising fry and then having to cull them either because they turn out undesirable or I’m unable to keep or sell them.

mleibowi
01-11-2024, 01:13 PM
Got it- the 2 paired up, I wasn't intending to breed them. Good point about the pigeon blood genetics. However, is the fry sticking to the wood because they are confusing it for their parents?

brewmaster15
01-11-2024, 01:46 PM
Mike what kind of a pigeon is it? Can you post pics? Danny is 100% on the money with his point on breeding pigeon to non-pb.. There are a few. Crosses though that can give you some interesting offspring.. peppering may still be an issue but depending on the strain and source...it could be worth the risk.

brewmaster15
01-11-2024, 01:48 PM
The fry stick first to various substrates...they have adhesive glands on their head.. these are absorbed and then they swim to parents and feed off parents.. dark objects can trick them though especially if the pair is inexperienced and doesn't draw them to them.

mleibowi
01-11-2024, 06:22 PM
https://youtube.com/shorts/rML2LZ2UzAM?si=6NaB87LYbsDA39pT

brewmaster15
01-12-2024, 07:58 AM
The thing I really like about discus is how hard fast rules in genetics don't always fly. Your pigeon here is a white pigeon. Crossing that to a non pigeon can have unexpected results..

Different cross using a blue diamond.. but who knows.

https://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?54204-Never-get-tired-of

Were it me... I would try it once .. you may get dirty peppered pigeons.. but you may get something cool. Either way I guarantee you will learn something from it.

Al

mleibowi
01-12-2024, 03:09 PM
There are only 8 fry left. I’m thinking about moving the pair to a 40 gal breeder and see if have another viable hatch. I have a large piece of drift wood. Should I consider getting a breeding cone or is that not necessary

brewmaster15
01-12-2024, 06:35 PM
Its not necessary.. any vertical surface will do.. but cones are easy to clean. You can use cones, inverted flower pots, slate, bricks..wine bottles...etc.

mleibowi
01-13-2024, 01:23 PM
I have a huge piece of drift wood. Maybe I’ll take that out and use a clay pot or wine bottle!

brady
01-13-2024, 04:56 PM
Its not necessary.. any vertical surface will do.. but cones are easy to clean. You can use cones, inverted flower pots, slate, bricks..wine bottles...etc.

Al. You mentioned wine bottles as a potential spawning site. Since I make wine I have a lot of bottles, actually too many.
I have been thinking of how to make something they could lay eggs on rather then the air lift tube of a hydro 5 filter.
But, as i said I have plenty of wine bottles so what color would be best white or red?
Jay

brewmaster15
01-13-2024, 05:07 PM
I would use dark bottles Jay.

brady
01-13-2024, 05:24 PM
Al, you have to be more precise.Italian or Californian? Chianti or pinot noir? LOL
Jay
Winemaster.

brady
01-13-2024, 08:38 PM
Al, I have decided to go with the chianti bottle. It's actually a Multipulciano Tuscan wine bottle.
Jay

brewmaster15
01-13-2024, 09:59 PM
Lmao.. sounds good Jay.. just remember to drink the wine first.:)

Discus Fever
02-08-2024, 12:26 PM
Lmao.. sounds good Jay.. just remember to drink the wine first.:)

Boy Al you take all the fun out of it, I wanted a video of a bunch of drunk fry swimming into every thing.