PDA

View Full Version : Looking to build a Social Media Team

brewmaster15
01-21-2024, 11:35 AM
HI all,
I am looking to build a team here that will be responsible for Promoting the Forum on social media Platforms. For instance, interacting on platforms like Reddit and Discord where people ask for help with Discus, Suggest the forum as a resource. The goal is make the forum more visible to new Hobbyists. There is no limit to number of members involved in this team. The more the better. If you want to participate just drop me a Pm to let me know

This project has no end date.. Its also very important to the forums future growth.

Thanks,
al

jeep
01-21-2024, 12:57 PM
I love the idea but Farcebook is about all I can handle :coffee:

I had actually been very interested in doing this a few years back, especially in developing an active Youtube channel, not because I love social media, but because I love this forum and wanted to promote it. I wanted to see something that promotes the hobby and the forum instead of just helping people with their issues, which is about all we do anymore on FB...

It will take a savvy and dedicated person! I thought we had that at one time but she fizzled out...

Iminit
01-21-2024, 01:09 PM
Yes Facebook is all I can handle. Well my wife can handle:p :). Thing is Al this site is mentioned daily to hourly on many sites. The Facebook crowd is a strange group.

brewmaster15
01-21-2024, 01:47 PM
Yes Facebook is all I can handle. Well my wife can handle:p :). Thing is Al this site is mentioned daily to hourly on many sites. The Facebook crowd is a strange group.

Thanks Tom.. Glad it is mentioned so often...still I have If a little more effort brings us more members I'm all for it. :)

brewmaster15
01-21-2024, 01:48 PM
I love the idea but Farcebook is about all I can handle :coffee:

I had actually been very interested in doing this a few years back, especially in developing an active Youtube channel, not because I love social media, but because I love this forum and wanted to promote it. I wanted to see something that promotes the hobby and the forum instead of just helping people with their issues, which is about all we do anymore on FB...

It will take a savvy and dedicated person! I thought we had that at one time but she fizzled out...

I remember us talking alot about it Brian. Its still a very good idea.

Charlyc11
01-21-2024, 03:17 PM
I always recommend the forum on FB as much I can.

jwcarlson
01-21-2024, 07:01 PM
This place isn't an echo chamber like Facebook, so it can be a tough sell. I recommend it frequently to people with discus issues elsewhere, and I think at least a couple of them have showed up.

Discus-n00b
01-24-2024, 11:28 PM
HI all,
I am looking to build a team here that will be responsible for Promoting the Forum on social media Platforms. For instance, interacting on platforms like Reddit and Discord where people ask for help with Discus, Suggest the forum as a resource. The goal is make the forum more visible to new Hobbyists. There is no limit to number of members involved in this team. The more the better. If you want to participate just drop me a Pm to let me know

This project has no end date.. Its also very important to the forums future growth.

Thanks,
al

I think its a good idea, if you aren't on these other platforms in some form or fashion you will fade away (not always the worst thing, but it is when you want eyes and attention). The problem with a few of these, like Reddit or Discord would be its tricky to navigate, meaning they are kind of boards of their own so they have their own rules and coming in there and directing people somewhere else, even subtly, wouldn't always be seen with good intentions, depends on the servers/subreddits. There is enough people with a phone and discus in the tanks to take video and turn into short form content to throw on Youtube Shorts, TikTok, or Instagram reels. Which are IMO some of the best to be able to drive views elsewhere.

Al have you ever explored the idea of getting a SimplyDiscus discord server or subreddit? Both free options but could start to incorporate everything into one universe, though you might find people preferring one or the other I'm sure. eI hate to say it because I personally love it and grew up on these, but message boards are kind of an aging resource for the new crowds. If you are cooking a new recipe now chances are you saw it on tiktok rather than a blog, if you want a DIY guide you go to youtube not a forum where someone has done it step by step in photos, etc. It's a crazy new world out there and if you don't start spreading a little bit you will be left behind.

I'm not necessarily a pro at either, but I do use Discord and Reddit daily and could help understand/answer questions one might have. I occasionally browse the others to stay in the loop and watch youtube daily but never upload. Would be happy to help brainstorm or have ideas bounced off of me, though I don't have a ton of time to focus on the project.

brewmaster15
01-25-2024, 10:07 AM
I think its a good idea, if you aren't on these other platforms in some form or fashion you will fade away (not always the worst thing, but it is when you want eyes and attention). The problem with a few of these, like Reddit or Discord would be its tricky to navigate, meaning they are kind of boards of their own so they have their own rules and coming in there and directing people somewhere else, even subtly, wouldn't always be seen with good intentions, depends on the servers/subreddits. There is enough people with a phone and discus in the tanks to take video and turn into short form content to throw on Youtube Shorts, TikTok, or Instagram reels. Which are IMO some of the best to be able to drive views elsewhere.

Al have you ever explored the idea of getting a SimplyDiscus discord server or subreddit? Both free options but could start to incorporate everything into one universe, though you might find people preferring one or the other I'm sure. eI hate to say it because I personally love it and grew up on these, but message boards are kind of an aging resource for the new crowds. If you are cooking a new recipe now chances are you saw it on tiktok rather than a blog, if you want a DIY guide you go to youtube not a forum where someone has done it step by step in photos, etc. It's a crazy new world out there and if you don't start spreading a little bit you will be left behind.

I'm not necessarily a pro at either, but I do use Discord and Reddit daily and could help understand/answer questions one might have. I occasionally browse the others to stay in the loop and watch youtube daily but never upload. Would be happy to help brainstorm or have ideas bounced off of me, though I don't have a ton of time to focus on the project.

Hi Matt!
Good to see you here again. These are the kinds of things I would like to see for the forum...
Al have you ever explored the idea of getting a SimplyDiscus discord server or subreddit?. My problem is time. I have my hands full just with the Forum. I really can't give up more time to the hobby than I already do. My life is still pretty chaotic and I'm not quite as young as when Simply was started.I have to be realistic. Thats why I want to try and build a team. A division of labor is our best chance. We already have a facebook group managed by a great team.

Could always use the help and appreciate the offer.

Tik Tok? I'm probably one of the few that refuses to watch them.,, that and twitter/X. I suppose we could do a tik-tok on how to Kill discus quickly with bad advice as a ground breaker.:evilgrin: I know forums are an old resource, I would never transition into other forms of social media and abandon the forum format....but I am not opposed to increasing our social presence in the hopes we can save discus from the pervasive bad advice on social media out there.

al

RayRay2915
01-27-2024, 03:34 PM
I would like to be part of the team

brewmaster15
01-27-2024, 08:13 PM
I would like to be part of the team
That is awesome! Thank you!

seanyuki
01-27-2024, 08:43 PM
I usually recommend new discus hobbyists on Facebook to join Simply Discus forum and watch Al Sabetta’s video How To Keep Discus.

http://youtu.be/VXe3VKh7qF8?si=-NmLdML_Vjqad-1l

TheLankster
02-23-2024, 07:10 AM
Intersted. Theres lots of Facebook groups but they tend to be a bit argumentative and looking to spar...

Have you considered paid ads on Facebook/instagram AL?

brewmaster15
02-23-2024, 07:43 AM
Intersted. Theres lots of Facebook groups but they tend to be a bit argumentative and looking to spar...

Thank you! As soon as we have a good number of people we will set up a. Section of the board to talk strategy.

No I'm afraid paid ads aren't something we can do here at this point . Already have to invest a good chunk of change into software and a server upgrade in the next few months... its a tad shoe string right now.:) maybe down the road though. Its a good idea.thx

holderman19
03-28-2024, 11:15 AM
I'll help if/when i can. I'm on reddit often and actually have suggested this forum to people and your food also. Since i have great results from them myself

brewmaster15
03-29-2024, 06:05 AM
Thanks Ed!