PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical question on Contests

brewmaster15
03-02-2024, 09:59 AM
Hi all,
What kind of contests would you participate in on the forum? We can come-up with many ideas but if its not something you would actually participate in its not going to be as fun.

Photo contests
Display tank contests
grow out contests
story contests
Ugliest Discus Contest:)

something else?

al

fishy_jim
03-02-2024, 04:16 PM
here are a few ...

Best discus group pic contest ?
Tank of the month contest ?

brewmaster15
03-02-2024, 11:54 PM
here are a few ...

Best discus group pic contest ?
Tank of the month contest ?

Jim thanks for your input! Hope to see more from others too!

Al

brewmaster15
03-03-2024, 08:15 AM

????????

LizStreithorst
03-03-2024, 09:03 AM
Discus picture contest. Or even other pictures involving crtttiers in an aquarium. I love looking a pictures.

jwcarlson
03-03-2024, 10:07 AM
Picture of the month contests were always enjoyable!

LizStreithorst
03-03-2024, 11:37 AM
Good idea, Jacob.

Charlyc11
03-03-2024, 11:40 AM
I second that Jacob

Jandiscus
03-03-2024, 06:23 PM
How about.....

Your biggest failure in discus keeping contest.

The best discus advice ever given to you contest.

I know...doesn't beat pretty fish pics but still. I sure would read through a thread describing the biggest fails or biggest learnings :)

Second Hand Pat
03-04-2024, 10:07 AM
Parents with fry :)
Pat

Discus Fever
03-04-2024, 10:24 AM
I think pictures of any aquarium whether they are discus or something else.

Charlyc11
03-04-2024, 10:30 AM
How about.....

Your biggest failure in discus keeping contest.

The best discus advice ever given to you contest.

I know...doesn't beat pretty fish pics but still. I sure would read through a thread describing the biggest fails or biggest learnings :)

I would have a good chance at that one.

Iminit
03-04-2024, 01:38 PM
Lol I do think everybody’s got a biggest fail story. Or 2 or 3……..

For a picture contest the winner’s picture posted either on the site main page. Or on the top of the monthly contest page would be a nice prize :).

Not so much for the biggest fail though!

Jandiscus
03-04-2024, 03:19 PM
When I was writing my suggestions for this post, I forgot that I was refilling my water barrel and it started to overflow. Nothing more getting your attention than the splashing sounds of an overflowing barrel :-) Luckily it is sitting within the shower basin, so no harm.

LizStreithorst
03-04-2024, 04:07 PM
If you call that a fail you need to talk to Al or Brian about their last great overflow fails. I have a buckled floor in the past but I have never destroyed an entire room after I just got through renovating it.

jwcarlson
03-04-2024, 04:26 PM
When I was writing my suggestions for this post, I forgot that I was refilling my water barrel and it started to overflow. Nothing more getting your attention than the splashing sounds of an overflowing barrel :-) Luckily it is sitting within the shower basin, so no harm.

If you call that a fail you need to talk to Al or Brian about their last great overflow fails. I have a buckled floor in the past but I have never destroyed an entire room after I just got through renovating it.

I don't need this bad mojo! :D Thankfully, if I overflow almost anything it's onto concrete. I did start my refill pump with the hose not in the tank once on my discus tank on the main level, however. I left my RO on for a long time a week or two ago. I'm more upset over the wasted water than anything. The barrel did overflow but it makes RO so slow that it's not that big of a deal.
I actually just set up a bigger barrel for RO yesterday, so I have just short of doubled my RO storage capacity from 32 gallons to 63.

Regarding the contests, I personally don't want any prizes. But something over under the avatar or something might be kind of cool. PotM Winner January '24 or something like that.

Jandiscus
03-04-2024, 06:52 PM

Haha...agreed Liz!

Charlyc11
03-05-2024, 08:01 AM
I had my share of spills and the flooring has held up. Home Depot luxury vinyl (Lifeproof) are great 100% waterproof all PVC and look good. You just need to seal the edges around the molding so it doesn't spread to the next room or go underneath. I have areas where it goes through but so far OK. I have to go back around with silicone but hard to get it done behind the tanks, only 9" there.

jpm995
03-09-2024, 11:28 AM
Best looking tank, with or without discus. Best looking small and large tanks. Best planted tank.