PDA

View Full Version : Confirming discus types

bobfloyd
03-15-2024, 06:18 AM
Just want to check/confirm these types of discus I was given.

I think the left most fish is a blue diamond?

Next, a red rose or red cover?

I think next there are 2 green turquoise?

The right most fish I think is a white diamond?

Regarding those 2 turquoise fish, they have different numbers of stripes, not sure why?

Iminit
03-15-2024, 09:21 AM
I’d say you’re close on all types. The 2 turqs may change colors as they grow. Reds and blues getting brighter. The red cover was probably hormone treated to make it red and now is it’s normal brown. The white is a white maybe albino. Thing is all of your discus look thin. Are they eating? How long have you had them?

brewmaster15
03-15-2024, 09:39 AM
Hi and welcome to SimplyDiscus!

The white looks like a snow white discus but maybe a cross.. its hard to tell from.the pic but if theres any pattern or orange /red pigment its a cross.

pitdogg2
03-15-2024, 12:22 PM
Many snake skin varieties exhibit that extra stripe pattern. That fish may have a parent that carries that gene.

bobfloyd
03-15-2024, 11:49 PM
Thanks for your help.
Will the red cover get redder as it gets older?
I’ve only had these guys 2 weeks. They’ve been eating flake but Om trying to also get them eating NLS Thera A, which I use a lot with all my other fish. They are sort of taking it, not eagerly though. Perhaps I should try the pellets another time and give them something else for now?

bobfloyd
03-15-2024, 11:51 PM
Hi and welcome to SimplyDiscus!

The white looks like a snow white discus but maybe a cross.. its hard to tell from.the pic but if theres any pattern or orange /red pigment its a cross.

I can’t see any pattern on this fish.
What’s the difference between a white diamond and a Snow White? Thanks for your help.

bobfloyd
03-15-2024, 11:53 PM
Many snake skin varieties exhibit that extra stripe pattern. That fish may have a parent that carries that gene.

Thanks.
I’m not sure what to call these 2 fish - are they turquoise snakeskins or something like that? Just want to try to get the terminology right. ��
I like the stripes, but I guess they’ll fade when the fish are older?

brewmaster15
03-16-2024, 08:03 AM
I can’t see any pattern on this fish.
What’s the difference between a white diamond and a Snow White? Thanks for your help.

Are these spots?

bobfloyd
03-16-2024, 05:27 PM
Ah yep, there are some pale brown spots.

brewmaster15
03-16-2024, 06:00 PM
Its probably a snow white thats got some other strain mixed in... sometimes they have an odd marketing but a good snow white does not have "spots" like that. Doesnt mean it wont be a nice fish all the same.

bobfloyd
03-17-2024, 02:55 AM
Its probably a snow white thats got some other strain mixed in... sometimes they have an odd marketing but a good snow white does not have "spots" like that. Doesnt mean it wont be a nice fish all the same.

Thanks.

What’s the difference between a snow white and white diamond though?

brewmaster15
03-17-2024, 04:05 AM
Thanks.

What’s the difference between a snow white and white diamond though?

Same fish ... often times different breeders will give their fish different names for marketing purposes. Snow white and white diamond are used interchangeably.

bobfloyd
03-17-2024, 04:07 AM
Same fish ... often times different breeders will give their fish different names for marketing purposes. Snow white and white diamond are used interchangeably.

Ah ok, thanks!

Are those stripes ones I have called Turquoise snake skins?

brewmaster15
03-17-2024, 08:20 AM
Second image...The top most one with alot of bars is a blue snake skin.. the other is a blue turquoise (probably)

bobfloyd
03-18-2024, 03:54 AM
Second image...The top most one with alot of bars is a blue snake skin.. the other is a blue turquoise (probably)

Thanks. I had a look at pictures of the adults for these, they look nice.

So snakeskin means finer lines, whereas turquoise just means the patterning lines are thicker?

And the red, green,blue etc just means the predominate base colour?

brewmaster15
03-18-2024, 08:50 AM
Basically yes...but turquoise refers to color as well and they do have thicker pattern than snakeskins.