PDA

View Full Version : Rosario LaCorte, 1929-2024

gimaal
04-12-2024, 01:14 PM
A true legend in our hobby, master breeder, aquarist, writer and lecturer, Rosario LaCorte has passed away at 95 years old. While he bred his share of Discus--a photo of him, below, includes some of his Discus juves in the background-- Rosario was especially known to be the first to spawn countless 'difficult' species in the aquarium. Numerous species of fish have been named after him, including one of the Emperor Tetras, N. lacortei (another first-bred by Rosario) and numerous killies. His autobiography, AN AQUARIST'S JOURNEY, is a terrific read and includes photos and stories about many of the significant figures in the hobby over the years including Discus notables.

More about Rosario, here:

https://moaph.org/article-archives/the-passing-of-a-legend-rosario-la-corte-1929-2024/

brewmaster15
04-12-2024, 02:24 PM
WOW ..95, A good lifetime of playing with the fishes. Hope we are all so lucky!

I do not know much of him but I can fully appreciate his contributions..

Thank you Aaron for posting this.

Willie
04-13-2024, 08:30 AM
RIP, Rosario. Enjoyed so many talks from you.

Second Hand Pat
04-13-2024, 09:10 AM
Wow, sounds like an amazing soul and what a wonderful read :) Thank Aaron for sharing this.
Pat

gimaal
04-13-2024, 02:16 PM
RIP, Rosario. Enjoyed so many talks from you.

Amen. His talks were terrific. I consider myself blessed to have been present for several of them. Fortunately, there are numerous podcast interviews with him on youtube so his wisdom is preserved and will live on, along with all those articles in The Aquarium, TFH, FAMA and elsewhere.

I am so pleased to see the tributes to him blossoming on so many varied websites and forums from those dedicated to cichlids to livebearers to killies and characins. Which speaks volumes to the range of his interest and the depth of his skill.