PDA

View Full Version : Bought a 500 gal "tank"

brewmaster15
04-25-2024, 04:33 PM

Yeah I know.. not the kind of tank you thought. :)

But I needed a place for a ton of Axolotls to hang out in for a few months. Normally I would use my out door pond but the water snakes found the axolotls and cleaned it out. This will be a bit more challenging for them and I can put a lid on it..

The intent is to have them sold by summers end.These are wild type and Leucistics.. moving forward I am only working on coppers.

LizStreithorst
04-25-2024, 04:55 PM
cool idea. I know that these weird looking creatures represent a lot of work and expence.

Second Hand Pat
04-25-2024, 05:45 PM
Cool use for a “kiddie pool”? Al
Pat

brewmaster15
04-25-2024, 05:49 PM
Thanks Liz. They are pretty cool critters. From all that I bred we found 8 "coppers". Those 8 are staying.. they are kind of Rare. It took alot of breeding to get these.

Every once in a while you find a steal on ebay.. $60 shipping included.. open box pool.. received it and it was literally unopenned.

brewmaster15
04-25-2024, 05:51 PM
Cool use for a “kiddie pool”? Al
Pat

My daughter saw me setting it up and I told her I Finally bought her a kiddie pool... but she had to share it with the axolotls... obviously at 22 yr old she was thrilled.:)

Second Hand Pat
04-25-2024, 06:19 PM
My daughter saw me setting it up and I told her I Finally bought her a kiddie pool... but she had to share it with the axolotls... obviously at 22 yr old she was thrilled.:)

Somehow that rings true Al lol
Pat

jeep
04-25-2024, 08:39 PM
I've seen people keeping koi in those pools.

The axolotis are cool!

gimaal
04-25-2024, 10:41 PM
I've seen people keeping koi in those pools.

Goldfish breeders use kiddie pools too.

brewmaster15
04-25-2024, 10:48 PM
If I lived in a warmer state I'd have all kinds of pools with critters growing in them. But I can just barely manage to keep Axolotls in them 6-7 months out of the year.

I had a bud a few years back that raised sting rays in them.. in his basement.

brewmaster15
04-26-2024, 06:31 AM
Had to put a heater in pool last night as we hit 32F.. just need to keep it temps up to 45 as axolotls can survive being put in a refrigerator a week. Its actually a disease treatment protocol for injuries and bacterial infections. Their immune systems and regeneration capabilities are the stuff of super heros powers. Wish I could grow back a lost arm ,lol. Imagine being able to put your discus in the refrigerator a week if its sick. :) Take it out and its all better.

Covered the pool with plywood last night and put in a 150 watt heater.. temp this morning in the pool was a balmy 50F.:) Tonight will probably be the last night I need a heater.

I need to build a light weight lid to keep the water snakes out.. they can smell amphibians and will eventually find the pool. Being very poor climbers that alone should keep them out but I don't want to take any chances .

I also need to work out a filter. The pool comes with holes for hoses that are located about halfway up. If I want to utilize the full 500 gals of water I need to plug them or better yet add a filter. I probably will try and find a used intex pool filter for sale. I have made pond filters before so may go that route. The current can not be too strong. AXOLOTLS prefer gentle water movements.

Everytank I have rasied or kept them in has been using air driven sponges but with the pools 5×7 foot print.. a power filter or cannister to move water maybe be beneficial.

Whatever I go with needs to be economical.. best scenario would be to reuse repurpose gear here.
Al

For100
04-26-2024, 09:22 AM
Pretty cool setup and love your axolotis . You must have a lovely wife, if I just float the idea of doing what you did I would be out of the house!
BTW, I don’t see any filtration or pumps to circulate the pool. Is that your intention or just work in progress kind of thing?

brewmaster15
04-26-2024, 09:46 AM
Pretty cool setup and love your axolotis . You must have a lovely wife, if I just float the idea of doing what you did I would be out of the house!
BTW, I don’t see any filtration or pumps to circulate the pool. Is that your intention or just work in progress kind of thing?

I have a really supportive wife . We met and started dating in highschool... Pretty much always had critters... no surprises there for her. :) latter on in life I got a degree in biology. This is who I am... and she is thankfully very cool with it.

I do have filtration but hadnt posted it.. sponges.

Need to built a filter next.

Al

Discus Fever
04-26-2024, 11:56 AM
I would go with 4 or 5 large sponge filters and call it a day, that should be efficient and keep the water movement to a minimum for those guys to thrive.