PDA

View Full Version : Aging bucket airstones

brewmaster15
05-08-2024, 07:46 PM
Hey guys,
Whats everyone using for airstones in your water storage tanks? I'm looking to upgrade mine. Need something that Will sink no problem to the bottom of a 45 gal brute garbage pail with strong aeration but isn't so dense it impedes air flow. I want to see if I can shave several hours off my aging time.

Second Hand Pat
05-08-2024, 07:55 PM
Try these on Amazon Al, "Pawfly Aquarium Air Stone Bar Bubbler 4 Inch, Fish Tank Bubbler Stone with Plastic Base Square Oxygen Diffuser for Nano Air Pump Small Bucket and Fish Tank, 4 Pack" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MZ01SM6?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1
Pat

jwcarlson
05-09-2024, 06:41 AM
Pawfly 2 Inch Blue Ball Air Stone... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08D3S1W22

This is what I use. Works well and haven't had issues with it clogging or anything.

Charlyc11
05-09-2024, 07:12 AM
I been using a pump that has air attachment and that will cut your time quite a bit mix and aerate at the same time.

This is similar to what I use.

AquaticNerd
05-09-2024, 08:09 AM
Chuck's method posted was one that I was going to post after reading Al's question. If you're looking for an airstone only solution, I've also used this style of airstone and it seemed to do well. https://www.amazon.com/VIVOSUN-Stone-Sucker-Hydroponics-Aquarium/dp/B06X6FT8MK

Willie
05-09-2024, 12:07 PM
I been using a pump that has air attachment and that will cut your time quite a bit mix and aerate at the same time.

This is similar to what I use.

Agree with Chuck. Aging is a function of turbulence and aeration. Although I use a conditioning tank and typically aerate for 24 hours, I've successfully degassed water in a couple of hours with a powerhead. I attach an air line to push lots of bubbles into the water. The bubbles create mini-pops when they rise to the surface to further promote gas exchange at the surface.

brewmaster15
05-09-2024, 12:20 PM
Thanks Guys, Pat and Jacob, appreciate the tips on airstones..

Chuck,Jake and Willie I hadn't thought to use a water pump with a venturi valve. I used to use these on Powerheads all the time when I did marine tanks. Great Idea!

al

jwcarlson
05-09-2024, 12:57 PM
I forgot to add that I do have one barrel with a powerhead, I don't normally use the venturi, but have in the past if I'm wanting to use the water sooner than the normal 24 hours.

jeep
05-11-2024, 10:55 AM
I use the same pump I use to fill the tanks. I just coil the fill hose on top of the barrel and cycle the water back into the barrel. With a near 0 head, I'm turning the water over around 15 times per hour if the pump rating is accurate. Under ideal conditions, I once felt comfortable off gassing in around 6 hours. After the water issues I experienced last year, I now age my water for 24-48 hours.

brewmaster15
05-11-2024, 02:26 PM
I use the same pump I use to fill the tanks. I just coil the fill hose on top of the barrel and cycle the water back into the barrel. With a near 0 head, I'm turning the water over around 15 times per hour if the pump rating is accurate. Under ideal conditions, I once felt comfortable off gassing in around 6 hours. After the water issues I experienced last year, I now age my water for 24-48 hours.

If I did that Brian, I have no doubt I would forget to secure and wind up pumping it all out onto the floor! I have had cases where the coil of hose fell off the barrel and gravity drained the barrel to the floor.:flame:

Charlyc11
05-11-2024, 02:31 PM

If I did that Brian, I have no doubt I would forget to secure and wind up pumping it all out onto the floor! I have had cases where the coil of hose fell off the barrel and gravity drained the barrel to the floor.:flame:

The only way I do that is with PVC pipe and valves to prevent that from happening. With my system I am half way there so I might do some more plumbing.

brewmaster15
05-11-2024, 04:39 PM
The only way I do that is with PVC pipe and valves to prevent that from happening. With my system I am half way there so I might do some more plumbing.
Unfortunately that's not an option here... Too many tanks.

jeep
05-11-2024, 06:19 PM
Understandable! Lord knows I've experienced enough water spills. But in this case, it's secure by using this concoction I made to hang on the tank while filling...

Willie
05-11-2024, 07:22 PM
I use something like that, but attach a float valve to the end so it's an auto shutoff. Saved my backside on more than one occasion.

jeep
05-11-2024, 09:10 PM
I'm "borrowing" your add on!!

Vanman
05-11-2024, 11:03 PM
Got a link for the float valve?

brewmaster15
05-12-2024, 06:46 AM
Brian &Wille... Great ideas on those fittings. Kind of reminds me of The safety pump I bought years back from Jehmco... Could modify these maybe.

Al

Charlyc11
05-12-2024, 11:40 AM
Thats nice add on for a hose setup. My 3 larger tanks are hard piped to my aging barrels so won't work for me. Only hose setup I have is for my smaller tanks and those will be emptied soon.

AquaticNerd
05-13-2024, 08:19 AM
Willie, that's such a great tip for a refilling spout. Do you know where to source a float valve like that? All the ones I see have the little lever arm part and I like the compactness of the valve you have shown.

Charlyc11
05-13-2024, 08:39 AM
Willie, that's such a great tip for a refilling spout. Do you know where to source a float valve like that? All the ones I see have the little lever arm part and I like the compactness of the valve you have shown.

Run this Amazon search there a few nice ones.

Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/s?k=float+water+valve&crid=WBSZG6I2IKCJ&sprefix=float+water+valve%2Caps%2C112&ref=nb_sb_noss_1)

AquaticNerd
05-13-2024, 09:31 AM
Thanks Chuck - I knew there had to be a "brand" name for the type of valve Willie showed. Hudson Valve. Going to keep that in my dictionary from now on! :)

Willie
05-13-2024, 10:29 AM
Sorry I missed this. Just make sure to buy the ones with the top connection, and not the side connect.