PDA

View Full Version : Sterilize tank and remove old fish or not?

Kirehajba
05-18-2024, 05:24 AM
Hello fellow discus keepers,
Last month it has been a terrible battle against an unknown bacteria/virus, that came with 2 new discus fish.
I tried many medicine, but my old discus group was wiped out :(

At the moment only 1 of the new discus fish, that I think brought the problems, is left alive: and he is doing perfectly fine, together with the Altum Angels and the corys.

I have ordered a new group of discus, for August, so my question here it is: shall I remove all fish and sterilize the tank, in order to avoid another catastrophy, or shall I keep the corys?

I am thinking re-starting from 0 its the best and safest option now.

What is your opinion?

Cheers
Kire

Second Hand Pat
05-18-2024, 05:45 AM
Hi Kire,
Perhaps starting anew could be the easiest way but you will need to start from ground zero ie no fish. Another thought is do you have a quarantine tank? Where you could house any new fish away from your current fish and use the hero fish method after six weeks or so. Here's Al QT procedure https://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?135809-Al-s-Quarantine-Procedure.
Pat

Kirehajba
05-18-2024, 10:57 AM
Thanks Pat! I aggree with you - starting from 0 with no fish might be safest.
Its not worth the risk so I can save few bucks here and there... having in mind the new group is around 5K...

Thank you for your thoughts,
Kire

Vanman
05-18-2024, 11:03 AM
"around 5K' We need pictures when they arrive.

Kirehajba
05-19-2024, 05:08 AM
"around 5K' We need pictures when they arrive.

I meant - 5k for the discus and all the rest fishes. The discus will be 180 $ per piece + shipping, so close to 200 $

brewmaster15
05-19-2024, 08:18 AM
I would definitely start fresh. It sounds like you are planning a sizable investment there in new fish. No sense it risking a problem.

What kind of discus are you getting and can you tell us about your tank somemore..Always interested in Discus here.:)
al

Kirehajba
05-19-2024, 09:13 AM
Thanks Al!

I am getting Wild Tefe Green Discus.
Same like my previous group.

Here you can see my instagram profile where I have lots of photos https://www.instagram.com/aquascapingtheworld/

Another question: I have very ripe Cory Sterbai, that I am thinking to isolate in another tank and breed them: do you think that after some time the babies will potentially cary the same bacteria/ virus that viped out my first group? I am reading different case studies

brewmaster15
05-19-2024, 09:54 AM
Thanks Al!

I am getting Wild Tefe Green Discus.
Same like my previous group.

Here you can see my instagram profile where I have lots of photos https://www.instagram.com/aquascapingtheworld/

Another question: I have very ripe Cory Sterbai, that I am thinking to isolate in another tank and breed them: do you think that after some time the babies will potentially cary the same bacteria/ virus that viped out my first group? I am reading different case studies

Wow thats one beautiful Set up you had there! And the greens you had were real gems. Im sorry you lost them.

on your sterbai. I think you will be ok to separate and breed them... and introduce the young back to the tank... Sterbai
eggs should not carry any pathogens.

brewmaster15
05-19-2024, 09:58 AM
I recognize you from a video link that some one here posted. Your losses were terrible. I could tell from the video you were devastated. Im so sorry.

Kirehajba
05-19-2024, 01:14 PM
Thank you guys... indeed I was and still I am devastated :(
The fish were a wedding gift from my wife, so I was very attached to them...
But life goes one, and we learn from our mistakes...
I am working with the same importer from the Netherlands to source the new group, so I am expecting the new group to be equally good as the previous one. Will keep you posted :)

For the moment, this is the idea of the new fish for the discus tank: