PDA

View Full Version : PP and Peroxide for holding tank clean

Ardan
05-19-2002, 11:42 AM
To anyone with a holding tank, Re: cleaning

1. How much PP/gal do you use to clean the tank?(is the tank full of water to start?)(leave for 24 hours?)
2.How much hydrogen peroxide do you add to neutralize the PP? (leave for how long?)
3.Then do you dump the water and flush again?

Any other tips????

Thank you
Ardan :sunshine:
PP=potassium permanganate

05-19-2002, 08:59 PM
add enough pp to turn the colour a good pink, then run for 6 hours or so, 24 will not hurt. add enough hp to turn the water clear, adding a little at a time. it takes a little while to clear up the water, be a little patient as you neutralise the pp.

rick

SLY
05-19-2002, 09:03 PM
didn't know pp is pink..I though it's purple  ::)

Carol_Roberts
05-19-2002, 09:34 PM
Hi Arden:
Mix a teaspoon of powdered PP with bottled water like you'd buy to drink.  Open the bottle, take a few drinks  ;) add the PP, replace the lid and swirl.  This is your base solution.

Add enough of this mix to turn your storage water pinky purple.  If your holding tank is dark like mine is, get a paper cup and dip some water out so you can see what color it is.  Then as Aspen says let it run 6 hours or more.  You will see it turn the gunk in your clear hoses tan. You can use a cloth to wipe the gunk off the exterior of your hoses if you want.

It only takes a little Hydrogen Peroxide to neutralize the PP.  Try a few CC's - let the pump circulate the hp a few minutes - check the color of the water.  Continue adding a little hp until the water is clear.

You'll be able to figure it out in no time. . .
Carol :heart1:

Ardan
05-20-2002, 03:35 AM
Thanks Rick and Carol,
 :) :) :)
Ardan :sunshine:

DavidH
07-07-2002, 05:51 PM
Do you then dump this water and you're done, and refill or use as is. I seem to remember Jim Quarles saying he would treat water this way for his babies??

Dave

brewmaster15
07-08-2002, 10:06 AM
Hi Dave,
I would dump it and rinse well with Ro water. If you wanted to use it you technically could but I'd filter thru carbon first and  thoroughly aerate  the water.

hth,
al

as a side note. Running the water thru carbon will  also remove the PP, and any excessive organics that the PP was working on.  When ever I use PP, I  neutralize  with peroxide and then filter thru carbon for at least a day.

Anonapersona
06-06-2004, 10:15 PM
PP is an oxydiser, H2O2 is an oxydiser. why not just use H2O2?

Wouldn't a dose of H2O2 clean the tank just as well, and then gass off ?

Anona, newbie with dumb questions

06-06-2004, 10:48 PM
Good question, Anonapersona.

Hydrogen Peroxide (H2O2) is an antibiotic as well as a deodorizer, disinfectant. It has some powerful effects.

I'm curious too to hear the replies on your inquiry. :thumbsup:

I would think that one would use (H2O2) before using the PP (PM04) since it is less harsh than PP. Only a thought folks.

**Angie**

Multiclone
06-07-2004, 12:13 AM
I have been using PP for a long time now this is the best article I have read so far.
http://www.arborman.com/potperm2.htm

Geoff