PDA

View Full Version : Prazi & Acetone

DavidH
06-29-2002, 07:47 PM
When using prazi in the past, I've used acetone to mix.
Barry suggests this in his instructions. Anyone have any thoughts on using acetone. I know it's tough to break down the prazi in water.

Dave

Ardan
06-29-2002, 07:52 PM
Hi Dave,
IMO acetone is fine to use to dissolve meds.
Ardan :sunshine:

DavidH
07-01-2002, 05:01 PM
Thx Ardan, always wondered if the acetone would mess with the med..

brewmaster15
07-01-2002, 07:19 PM
Hi Dave,
Acetone will not harm the  Meds, it may actually make it more effective ,IMO,  by  making it all go into solution....
Heres the proof! ;) ;D....

http://www.simplydiscus.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=disease;action=display;num=10180566 63

take care,
al

Denny
07-01-2002, 08:33 PM
it is vary interesting that acetone doesn't k.o the fish. i use it all of the time to get contact adhesive off of countertops and would like to add to anyone that is going to use it that they make sure to have adequate ventilation as you can really get high from this stuff. it is also highly combustible so no pilot lights or open flames.
i suppose the amount you use is very small.
:spit:

does anyone know if denatured alcohol  or isopropanol would work as a binder in place of acetone? they would be safer for the fishkeeper and i would assume safer for the fish?
:sick: :book:

denny

chuck
07-09-2002, 11:02 AM
Just an observation I made...
I just brought prazi from Lambriar http://www.lambriarvet.com/catalog/wormers.htm
This is the new  FDA approved  100% Praziquantel.
I crushed the tablets and they Mixed  with water with no problems . I have used the other prazi and it was almost impossible to mix. I don't know why one does and the other doesn't?
call me a wuss ;D
But all the work I put into trying to keep the tanks pristene I don't think it's to healthly putting even small amount s of acetone in the water....
chuck

brewmaster15
07-09-2002, 12:32 PM
Okay Chuck...WUSS!!!!!! ;D  j/k

I was also leary of using it . I did some research though and  realized  that acetone  is actually a fermentation product. Its organic, and  is actually used by some bacteria as a  food source.  I even found  a reference that said some species of nitrobacter  could use it. The small amounts used as a solvent for drugs like Prazi, shouldn't have any effect on the tank , and didn't in my use.
May be one of  our resident microbiologists can  comment on this?

On that pill formulation you have ....  price to price those  pills will cost you an arm and leg won't they? Prazi in powder form goes for $4-5 gram ( 1000mg),   the pills  goe for  about  $3-$4 each and each is only 34mg. To buy 1 gram in pills will cost  you  $88-90 plus shipping and handling.

$5 per gram powder or  $90 per gram  in pills?   That could get real expensive!

take care,
al

Willie
07-09-2002, 06:29 PM
You can use a very small quantity (repeat small quantity) of acetone to dissolve medication.  When you add it to the water, bacteria will act rapidly to metabolize the acetone.  (It won't bother the medication.)  So aeration is highly recommended.  Don't use denatured alcohol, which is toxic!    

I have not had any prior experience with prazi, but here's what I would try BEFORE resorting to acetone.  

1. A number of chemicals which are hard to dissolve in hard water will readily dissolve in R/O water.  
2. Another safe option is to microwave the suspension to get the medication to dissolve.  No, you will not deactivate the medication at 100C.  
3. Depending on the substance, some will dissolve in a weak acid.  A couple of drops of vinegar (acetic acid) will do the trick.  

All these methods can be used in combination.  

Willie

brewmaster15
07-09-2002, 06:50 PM
Thanks Willie! :)
-al

bobbdd
07-09-2002, 07:58 PM
So I guess the question is....how much is a small amount...how much do you use?  I assume just enough to "wet" the prazi.........as it then will mix with the water  ???

chuck
07-10-2002, 02:59 AM
thanks guys for the insite of using acetone..
Brew your right about the expense.. But what I don't understand is that if prazi is that expensive even wholesale to vets. Then how can it be so inexpensive from the other supplier?? I know 20 years ago when I was working for a vet back then 1 pill cost $20.00 to the dogs owner.
anyway if it works it works...... ;D
chuck

Tin Pusher
11-29-2002, 02:32 AM
Where do I get the powder form Prazi that Brew talks about?

Lynn
11-29-2002, 02:07 PM
billman@citynet.net for Praziquantel. His name is Barry Illman.

BTW...it works fine dissolving the powder in RO water or warm water. Just have air stones to create enough surface turbulence to keep it suspended. You do not need to use acetone.

HTH,
Lynn