PDA

View Full Version : Medicine Cabinet

Rusty
05-01-2002, 08:41 AM
If someone were putting together an emergency medicine cabinet for discus, what would he include.  My last treatment of salt and high temperatures worked great but I was wondering was it was a good idea to have other things on hand just in case.  Thanks in advance.

05-01-2002, 08:49 AM
WATER!!!! and SALT!!!!

As far as medications go, I know they have a shelf life so I don't purchase those in advance.

The things I keep on hand are various test kits and meters, water, salt, water, pumps, water, hoses, water.......

Terri

P. S.   well, I do have a bottle of formalin and melafix in the cabinet...but they are old.

brewmaster15
05-01-2002, 11:08 AM
I was never a boy scout but I believe in always be prepared...
Epsom salt for bloat/blockage
Seasalt(or sodium Chloride  for fungus and columnaris
Metronidazole...hexamita
flubendazole... worms
fenbedazole....worms
Fluke tabs and clout for externals
salt for fungus
Formalin for externals and fungus
methylene blue for dips in combo with formalin
Furan-2 mild antibacterial
Gelatin to make medicated foods...

and of course good clean water , and lots of it.

For the novice in all this with a few fish , I'd recommend stock piling none of these meds except water. All are readily availible and if you have them you might be tempted to use them with out really knowing what you are treating. This has probably done far more harm than good to discus. I would wait until you have a probelm then get what you need after thoroughly determining what you are up against.

For most people-I mean fish, meds are inevitable. Use them wisely. oh , and stay away from medicinal cocktails that treat everything under the sun. Shot gun medications usually destroy you bio filter, and harm the fish.
Take care,
al

Rusty
05-01-2002, 11:32 AM
No stock piling huh?  OK, but I'd feel better knowing that most of these are just an email away at Drs Foster & Smith, next day if needed, right?  

brewmaster15
05-01-2002, 11:53 AM
Hi Rusty,
Between there, Bigalsonline,  and Jehmco.com  or your LFS, you should be able to get everything you need.

In retrospec, get Epsom salt . Using it  quickly can really make  a difference  if there is a blockage.

Hth, al

yippy
07-06-2003, 02:05 AM
Hi Al, I finally located some Furan 2 for my red devil and was wondering what you thought of adding Bio Super Concentrate to the water before adding the Furan 2. When i bought it the guy recommended i put the amount needed into some aquarium water in a bucket with an pump running for 6 hours. This worked on my red devil but im wondering if the same would be for discus.
Thanks again, Kerry