PDA

View Full Version : Electricity outage

edgeguy
06-27-2002, 07:23 AM
I am new to this board so I do not know if this topic goes here or in general discusion? ???  
I am about to start a 92 gal discus tank and yesterday our electricity went out for 24hrs.  What suggestions are there to keeping the tank going during these times.  The things I am worried about are water circulation ( to provide oxygen for the discus) and temperature (this is a concern for winter since we live in Denver CO).  If you could help me with this or other things I need to know/do during this time I would really be thankful for the information. ;D

06-27-2002, 09:05 AM
Edgeguy, without having to write a book on the subject you will want a few items you can pick up around town.I keep several battery operated airpumps on hand. You can buy them at most petstores but if you have a bait and tackle shop or hunting suppy store around where you live they will sell stronger and longer lasting airpumps, these will run off of D cell batteries so make sure you keep a supply of batteries on hand also. If you cant find any just taking a container and taking out tank water and pouring it back into your tank will help.
As far as keeping the tank warm you can wrap it with some type of cover to keep the heat in. If the power is out for an extended time you can try things like floating plastic bottles with heated water inside of them in your tank. I personally have lost power before and have just let the water go cold. Remember that your filter will most likely crash on you if power is out for a good amount of time so you will have to worry about it when the power kicks back on........HTH *Randy

PS: by the way welcome to the board...........Stick around there are some great people here

Ardan
06-27-2002, 03:06 PM
Hi edgeguy,
Welcome!
Excellect advice Randy!
I might add that if you have sponges in a filter, sometimes it helps to expose them to air and keep them damp.(keeps the bacteria alive) Or if its a hydrosponge, you can keep it operational with the battery operated air pumps.
hth
Ardan :sunshine:

blackghost
08-30-2003, 10:19 AM
We here in india have the same problem so i have installed inversters which operate all my air stones and sponge filtres.
They are very cheap in india i bought mine for 60$ which has got rating of 250watt.
or
in an critical situation u can use your computer UPS for backing up the airstones and cut on high wattage filters so airstones work longer.