PDA

View Full Version : Lost all but one fish today....

Barb Newell
07-27-2002, 07:29 PM
Hi all, well it is over....... :'(:'(
I lost all but one of my babies between yesterday evening and today. The last one isn't too bad but I imagine it's just a matter of time.

I've been battling with this for 4+ months now. I started with 11 young discus, I'm down to one.

I want to thank all of you for the support, encouragement, wealth of information, understanding and for being there for me, sometimes many times a day (I REALLY do mean it). Thank you. You are a great group of people! I'd like to name all of you but you know who you are.

My fish haven't been well from day one. It was my first experience in buying discus and I really didn't think anything of the quick breathing and odd clamped gill and flashing. A friend of mine took one look at them 4 days after I brought them home and said "gill flukes". That's when it began and hasn't ended until this morning when the last 4 died.

The person I bought them from assured me that they were in PERFECT health, he stressed that he would never sell sick discus under any circumstances (I believed him) and he said DO NOT MEDICATE, it's not necessary. My mistake, I should have QT'd them, I know that now, didn't know it then. Panacur, Metro and Prazi to begin. Being new at discus keeping, I tried to do everything perfect. Stayed faithful to my water changes, kept the tank very clean, fed them well....

They never got better. I think I've tried almost every treatment imanginable, every dip, bath, tank treatment, some antibiotics. I treated for flukes from day one, then some parasites in the GI tract, then infection. Looking back, I imagine that I got rid of the flukes some time ago and that the constant gill problems were the nematodes moving into the gills. What I didn't treat for killed them, and I couldn't see them there. Today, those worms feel like silent killers. My fish had worms (nematodes, roundworms the vet believes) which I imagine started in the stomach, no symptoms except gill clamping/flashing. They had normal poop, eating well, growing, looked healthy. I did treat with Metro but that didn't kill these. They moved, again silently into the muscle of my fish. A while ago I posted that my fish had 'white things/spots/worms' coming out of them--
they looked like ***** pimples, some sort of infection that seemed to go away with salt and clean water. They were in fact these d.... worms sticking out of their sides. I tried Clout, salt baths, formalin dips, Prazi. The worms disappeared and I assumed that whatever it was was gone. They then moved to the gills. By the time I realized that they were in the gills it really was too late. Some worms were actually hanging out of their gills and mouths in the last few days, I tried to get one with tweezers to take it to my vet, it withdrew so quickly. Yesterday, I desperately tried salt baths, formalin baths, meth blue baths, prazi bath tring to save my babies. Believe it or not, the worms survived the treatments (I did find a few in the meth blue and tank, but only a few). My fish went downhill REAL fast, they couldn't breathe. It was time for them to die. I realized that I couldn't save them, told them I was sorry, said good-bye and helped them die. Some may say that I tried for too long to save them, that I should have let them die some time ago, but the truth is that I loved those little fish and hoped to see them grow to adults.

Well, thank you all again. I hope to find some new babies in a month or so, healthy babies. Any sugguestions?

Take care,

Barb

bobbdd
07-27-2002, 09:18 PM
My heart is with you...I felt your love and pain.

I bought my fish from CARY at GreatLakesDiscus. He and others on the board have a great reputation and beautiful fish.......check em out....don't give up. :'( turns to :D

darcy
07-27-2002, 10:22 PM
Sorry to hear of all your troubles, I feel for you and know what its like!! Don't give up!!! I know its hard but there is nothing like seeing all your hard work turn into big beautiful discus swimming in your tanks!!!

All the Best!!!
Darcy

Jeffery_Doty
07-27-2002, 11:09 PM
Barb,

Wow! What a job you did to try and save them. I commend you for that. The one bright spot I see out of this is all that you have learned....the hard way! You will be ready for anything with your next discus. And, I am very happy to see you say that you will be getting more. Don't give up. Your dedication will be rewarded, you just need healthy discus to start with!

I think you should put the other discus down if it is carrying these nasty worms and who knows what. It may sound cruel, but it is for the good of your future discus. And, use something to sterilize your tank and anything that came in contact with the sick fish, like PP (potassium permanganate) (KMn04).

I don't want to sound like a broken record, but, I got an order from Cary at Great Lakes, and I could not be happier! I don't know which was better, the discus or the service he provided me with.

Please give us a follow up report when you get your new discus, it would be nice to see you start a new chapter in your hobby. A happy, fulfilling one!

Jeff
Oregon

Onnjai
07-27-2002, 11:43 PM
Hey Barb, sorry to hear on your lost man. I also like to buy baby discus like around 1" in size. I suggest W/C everyday to keep your water quality good and feed them many of times, but don't overfeed for each time. Good Luck on your next batch of discus.

Pete

Ardan
07-28-2002, 11:06 AM
Hi Barb,
Sorry to hear about the loss. I am glad you have not given up on discus though! Your experiences may help someone else.

I have only bought discus at lfs in past years, never much luck. This year I bought from Cary at GLD and I tell you, I am very happy with the fish, but especially happy with the service, support, and expertise. Whenever I have a question I can count on Cary to give me the best advice possible. I know there are other good breeders here too.

Take Care
Ardan :sun:

Lynn
07-28-2002, 11:40 AM
Barb,
Sorry to hear about your loss!! :(
I do think it was good that you tried so hard for them.
Don't give up! Clean your tank real well and get some new babies!!
We want to hear that you have fry to get rid of next year!!!
Take care,
Lynn

07-28-2002, 01:49 PM
Sorry to hear that Barb, You fought the good fight, though, and gained valuable information in the process. Hopefully, you'll never have to use it again, but at least it is there for you to draw upon.

If you start again, perhaps you ought to totally disenfect all your equipment thoroughly before acquiring more discus. LFS may not be the way to go, although I have gotten some nice fish from some of them. I have a Marlboro Red male for over 5 years now that is a nice fish that produced many spawns with various females that came from a LFS.

Good luck,

Mat and Maria Cruz :gorgeous: ;)

joanr
07-29-2002, 09:27 AM
So sorry about your juvies Barb, you certainly tried your best to save them. Give yourself a well deserved break for awhile, I know how exhausted you had become, and then start again. I'd take the advice of the other members and purchase from one of the breeders here. Your next experience will be a gratifying one.

Joan

korbi_doc
07-29-2002, 03:57 PM
:( :( Hi Barb, know how you feel, but please don't give up. It's all been said, but that learning curve hurts. I lost 3/4 of my first batch, & half of the second, but now am doing better after learning experience. Once things become more stable, seems to finally come together & you can enjoy them. Always remember to quarantine at all costs, NO EXCEPTIONS!! Best of luck with your next attempts. Dottie ;) ;)

07-29-2002, 07:37 PM
Hi Barb

Thats a real sad expierience :(
I went throug the same about 15 years ago, wanted to sell
everything. But as so many already said you learend alot in a very short time. In a not to short future you will be sitting
in front of a Discus Tank totaly excited ;D and real happy
you did continiue with one of the greatest hobbys ( I know; I know; its a additicion :) ) on earth.

Best luck with your new babies

Ronald

Barb Newell
07-29-2002, 08:26 PM
Hi guys, thanks so much for all the advice and words of encouragement. I really don't know what I would have done without all of you. I mean that, you have helped me so much.

I miss my fish a LOT, although I am catching up on some sleep. For months now I've been up well into the night dipping them (the famous "Maria dip") and doing massive water changes. The 'DIP' did work very well on the flukes and breathing problems. I haven't put the cobalt down yet, although I probably will. She's in her own 20 gal tank, own net, own syphon. She is beginning to itch, twitch, spit etc. but isn't too uncomfortable yet. I am feeding Levamisol and Piperazine (disco-med) and have raised the temp just to see if it works. It would be nice to know there's a med out there that can kill these things when they're in the muscle and gills.
I have developed quite a hatred towards worms. I hate losing every fish to WORMS!!!!! Yesterday, I couldn't wait to get new babies, today I am absolutely horrified at the thought of this ever happening again. I have never felt so helpless, desperate and powerless and in the end broken-hearted.

It's been a real bad weekend, I started losing my fish Wednesday night thru Saturday, one after another. Yesterday I decided to cut my dogs nails (I've been doing this for years), I clipped the first with no problem, the second... I cut too deeply, there was blood dripping out of the nail all over the kitchen floor, I tried soap on the nail, baking powder, couldn't get the bleeding to stop. I carried my 65 lb golden retriever to the car (dripping blood all over the carpet) and being Sunday, my vet was closed. I drove around the city looking for the emerg vet, dog bleeding all over my back seat. WOW. Eventually (1 hr later) I did find the vet, she had moved her office. The vet cauterized the nail. Bad weekend.

Well, keep in touch. Thanks again.

Barb

scottwheels
07-29-2002, 09:08 PM
Barb, sorry to hear about you horror weekend. I think that there could be nothing worse than being powerless to save your fish, especially when you can see the problem. Hope your dog is OK too. Ours dig too much in the garden, so they keep their nails worn down!! Hope you can get som nice new babies from some people on the forum, and this can just be a bad memory.

Scott

07-30-2002, 02:30 AM
:'( :'( :'(

Andromeda
07-30-2002, 02:57 AM
Barb,

I'm so sorry to hear about your miserable week. I hope everything gets better moving forward. I would advise you disinfect your tank as well as all your equipments with rubbing alcohol. Let everything air dry. Just make sure you rinse the tank and equipments well. Then, you should be ready to start cycling your tank again.

In terms of getting fish from breeders, I would recommend Cary Strong and Joe Szelesi. You simply can't go wrong with either one of them.

Cheers,
Jason G.

07-30-2002, 10:33 PM
Keep a box of wooden matches around..the good ones with the white tip. If you cut your dog's nail too short again cauterize it with the chemical on the match. Just touch it to the nail.. NOT BURNING..just the match right out of the box.

Barb Newell
07-31-2002, 07:28 AM
Hi, thanks. I'll definitely get some matches but hope to never do that again, til the next time anyway!

Barb

bryalk1
05-15-2003, 10:58 PM
hi , just my two cents. get good stock from breeders who will give you good feedback. cary strong, mike wells , joe s. are all excellent. use them theynhave been there don't give up bryant

Fish Freak
05-15-2003, 11:26 PM
Stick with it it is worth it in the end!!! I have lost a fair amount of discus in my days but thanks to the people at simply I am back with the program. ;D ;D ;D Well good luck in the future

Josh

DougJ
05-16-2003, 12:16 AM
Sorry about the loss of your discus. The match tip idea on the bleeding toenail sounds good, but its probably a moot point. Your golden ain't gonna let you get anywhere close to him with a toenail clipper. I did the same with my golden and he was able, once caught, to fold all four paws underneath his body. A styptic pencil will work as well. ;)