PDA

View Full Version : Discus criticisms....

brewmaster15
08-19-2002, 12:19 PM
Hi all,
I think its important that I state for the record the views of this boards administrators as to the grades of fish being shown here by members, and opinions of them. Several recent posts have shown this is necessary....

This site was started to give people a place to talk about discus, learn about them, and their care, and possibly become friends with others having similar interest. The board is moderated to help maintain a friendly atmosphere in which to accomplish this. It is our hopes that the amount of moderating is minor, and that everyone treats each other with respect, even when the differ in opinion. Doesn't always work like that but it is the goal.
There are people who post on this board with years of experience and there are some with no experience. It is my hopes that the ones with the experience will share it with the less experienced.

Just some distinctions.... If you post the pics of your fish, be prepared to receive positive and negatives about them. This board will not moderate , or censor posts in which one member expresses their opinions (positive or negative) about fish that have been posted, provided they are stated in a professional, civil manner.

My personal thoughts on opinions is everyone has one , and few ever agree. Partly because of this I prefer members here to use the private Messaging if they think there is a problem with a fish. It gives the person an opportunity to learn without hurting feelings. I also think that in the normal course of learning, Each member here will come to learn the desireable traits of a discus by seeing pictures of perfect specimens. I prefer to teach by example. I will not enforce this, but hope many of you will chose to critique others fish that way.
To help people learn about what is desired... I would also like to ask the experienced breeders to post a pic in this thread of what they would describe as a perfect discus. Verbally describe the traits that you would find desireable. Next post a pic of a fish that is not a runt , or misshapen cull (those are obvious) but instead post one with minor flaws and point them out.

example...

One of my nicest discus..F1 wildXsscross
http://a3.cpimg.com/image/61/6E/10978913-a0de-021C0195-.jpg

next...
great fish, love the round body, its an F1 cross to a wild, note the pronounced crest... I'd like to breed that out of it.
http://a8.cpimg.com/image/F2/73/10979058-6b17-021C0195-.jpg

can you all help me out here?

-al

Ps... feel free to critique and pics posted here.

korbi_doc
08-19-2002, 01:15 PM
:bounce: :bounce: YEAH!! YEAH!! Well said Al. Totally 8) & those fish are beauties. You can send that 1st one over anytime, & the 2nd, & & & ! Dottie 8) 8) 8) 8)

Tyler
08-19-2002, 01:20 PM
Al,
I think my thread "Its all your fault!!!" was a good example of what you are trying to explain too. Martin stated his opinion, and mike and martin posted pictures of what they believed to be good specimens. I think so far everyone on simply has had a good attitude towards one another. I however am not going to comment on the fish you posted, as i don't have as much experience with discus as many people on this forum.

Tyler

oodi
08-19-2002, 01:53 PM
Well said, Al...

And on another note, I wish Tyler could give my kids (ages 14, 16, 17, 19 and 20) some lessons on how to be a mature and responsible kid!!! His parents must be sooooooo proud of him!!! And they should be proud of themselves for doing such a great job as parents!!!

Judi

brewmaster15
08-19-2002, 01:58 PM
Judi,
I'm with you. Hey Tyler, if you ever want to be adopted let me know. I been honored to have a son like you! ;D

-and no it has nothing to do with you being the perfect age to help me change water ;) ;D LOL

take care,
al

Tyler
08-19-2002, 02:22 PM
Wow guys, thanks so much for the compliments. I think im gonna have my mom come read this thread.....lol. Al, i sure would like to be adopted by you! All those discus......i would be in heaven! I would definitely help with w/c, thats half the fun. You may have to fight april for me though...... afterall, she has become my mom..... Hehe, and al, one day im gonna have to visit you, your not that far away from me :) .

Tyler

Francisco_Borrero
08-19-2002, 02:51 PM
Al, I will point out to the negative:
Those fish are awful! They shouldn't be in your tanks.
Now, as for the positive, and considering that they are of 1/2 wild parentage, I'll be glad to help you out to rid your hatchery of those. If they weren't I am sure with some beggin' you would find somebody willing to provide a tank for them. Might be tough, though.
In all seriousness, keep up the good work! (and I agree that what you are suggesting is a nice, rational, honest and helpful manner to discuss fish, both for owners/seers, and experienced/inexperienced keepers).
Cheers, Francisco.

jim_shedden
08-19-2002, 03:00 PM
Al : Keep it up ................... please.

08-19-2002, 03:04 PM
I agree Al 100%

Good body Shape means alot to me. Your first Pic is stunning I would be Proud To own That Discus.
Just a few pics of Good Shaped Discus! IMO
HTh
TakeCare'
cary Gld!

08-19-2002, 03:05 PM
;D ::)

08-19-2002, 03:08 PM
8) 8)

Tyler
08-19-2002, 03:11 PM
Wow Cary, those are some awesome fish! I would be proud to have any one of them! That heckel...... is it a domestic cross, or a wild?

Tyler

08-19-2002, 03:16 PM
Cary ....Cary .....Cary

Tell me those are..... "MY"..... White Diamonds :-*

Beth

08-19-2002, 03:18 PM
Here is a pic of Small discus with good Shape!

There are a few with bad shape. Can YOU find Them?
Theses few should not be breed. They will carry this shape for life no matter what. In any Case I DO not LIKE and consider them culls. Many will tell you it depends on the strain. BS their is Quality stock avalible in all strains.
TakeCare'
cary Gld!

April
08-19-2002, 03:20 PM
Yeah...Al....Tyler is my kid!!!!!! LOL. you can have him sometimes.....but hes mine during my water change times.... ;D
ok well....not sure i have any fish i could post....but i do have some wilds...i like....hers my wild green...my feelings wont be hurt.....as hes wild......and mother nature is his breeder. ;D

http://a5.cpimg.com/image/B1/58/12168625-f221-00E200CE-.jpg

Paul
08-19-2002, 03:23 PM
Wow! More than the great fish is seeing that Cary is going to a gravel substrate. I take it your throwing in just a handful now to get them gradually used to it. I knew gravel would become vogue again. :)

Paul

April
08-19-2002, 03:25 PM
and heres my royal blue. wild also.
this was just after i got her and she was just shipped from south america.

08-19-2002, 03:28 PM
Nice Shape april'

08-19-2002, 03:37 PM
here is a yellow that is sold for big $

Its a cull! body wise, color wise, and eye size.

If someone sold me this for $60 I would lose it!
Cary

08-19-2002, 04:06 PM
By looking at all the GREAT looking Discus on this thread, it seems that I have quite the cull collection going. Cary, you can send me that yellow, he'll fit right in.

Looks like I may need to GET ANOTHER TANK, for some real beauties.

Julz

08-19-2002, 04:32 PM
Round.... Football.... Which one do you like?

Mike

08-19-2002, 05:01 PM
Mike I like Them Both!
But like the Round guy Better. Your wild red is not a football
it is more egg Like! LOL!
It is Still a quality Discus in my Eyes for a wild!
TakeCare'
Cary Gld!

Jeff
08-19-2002, 05:13 PM
Having discus is a lot like watching sports. One person calls foul the other guy says no its all ball. Other than some are real obvious, most people let it go much further than others and have a different point of view. We all strive for that perfect discus, but all too often settle for less. I think the reason we settle is we just love the fish.

08-19-2002, 05:32 PM
Cary, In BD photo... Bottom Left (pointy,Roman Nose) , Bottom Right, And Top Center (shovle head???) Top Left Dent Gill Cover?

Hard to tell when there all begging for food. :)

Mike

April
08-19-2002, 05:45 PM
Good pic Mike.....way easier to see when theres the two togeather.

RAWesolowski
08-19-2002, 07:55 PM
Interesting discussion thread. Given that this is a "public" board, I assume that any discussion is open to comment. I also assume that misinformation or perceived misinformation would be subject to correction or to debate.

When I read the posts, I look for a common theme that would lead me to the common ground. I do appreciate the ability to post and if my posts are in error, I would expect a correction.

DISCUSDADDYSLC
08-19-2002, 08:33 PM
The lfs greenHERE'S WHAT YOU DON'T WANT IN YOUR HOUSES AND DON'T FEEL SORRY FOR THEM, dON'T TAKE THEM HOME OUT OF PITTY. It's a local fish store wild green Why daddy why! I said after it's head fell apart ???This one is a no no.

brewmaster15
08-20-2002, 09:27 AM
Cmon People...I know there are lots of people with Nice and slightly not so nice fish out there. Okay...I'll share some more...

-al

John_Nicholson
08-20-2002, 10:57 AM
Here is an old picture of a pair that I really like. I think they are pretty nice fish. They were only about 9 months at the time of the pic.

-john

John_Nicholson
08-20-2002, 11:00 AM
Here is a female that I hated. I really dislike her shape. Around her mouth is really bad. Of course the mouth/jaw/face area is a pet peave of mine.

-john

John_Nicholson
08-20-2002, 11:07 AM
Here is a large male out of the same line. I also dislike his front half. And no I no longer have any of these 2 fish.

-john

Chad
08-20-2002, 12:57 PM
Here is one i like
http://www.discusobsession.com/images/Brillant_blue2_gif.gif
The shape is great and its BIG!!

I really like big fish or i wont breed it!!

Ill post more later got to work now!!

Chad :-*

mikeos
08-20-2002, 03:25 PM
Hi All

good thread, great pic's, BUT how about some help for those of us who are not yet "experts" (if there is such a thing)?

What do I mean? well take the first message... first pic, great fish, even I can see it, but what specifically makes the second fish less "good"?, why is the first fish so good?

more descriptive comments please :D

mike :D

08-20-2002, 06:17 PM
Ok, here is my take on all this.
Lets not forget that for 98% of us this is just a hobby. The fish we have are all our pets. Be it that they are perfect in everyones eyes does not matter. If someone is proud of there fish, i will not tell them there junk. I will say " nice clear pics" or some other thing nice without hurting feelings. Now if someone asks to have there fish picked apart, thats another thing. Than i feel more able to be honest.
Lets all be honest, we all have fish that there is something wrong with. We know it, or we dont. Either way, if we love our fish, thats what it is all about.For the 2% who are pros, or whatever you want to call it, they have had many bad fish through there hatcherys too. They off them at the pet stores, cull them, or what ever. It does noone any good to bash other peoples pride and joy, no matter how true it may be.
This forum was built for people to have a nice, friendly, informative place to come and share time with other people as sick as us. lol
Discus is the main theme here, not perfect discus.
I have a few fish that im not overly proud of, but i keep them anyways. Will you see pics of them, maybe.
If you say "well how will the newcomers ever learn if someone dosent tell them?", easy, show them pics of a good fish. Dont tell them there new found love for discus is based on junk fish, tell them you had some just like it when you started out, and then show them what you now have, or something else less abrasive.
OK ill stop the novel.
Here is one of my snakeskins who was badly burned and half dead when he arrived here, but the damage was shipping related, so i keep him around. When the fry look ok ill keep them, if they show signs of deformity, ill cull the fry and never breed the fish again. Time will tell, but for now, i really like this fish, deformitys and all.
JMO, Matt
http://www.mattsfish.homestead.com/files/ss2.JPG

08-20-2002, 07:18 PM
Ok, i took a bunch of pics and some of the quality sucks on the pics, but it will make my point fine.
Here we go.........
one of my fry with good eye size and color, and a nice body shape IMO

08-20-2002, 07:19 PM
One with bad shape....
the only thing missing is the bow for this arrowhead

08-20-2002, 07:20 PM
a very bad eye shape, notice the big nick out of it.

08-20-2002, 07:21 PM
here is a short gill plate.....

08-20-2002, 07:21 PM
same fish with a better veiw of the gill plate, or where one should be

Carol_Roberts
08-20-2002, 07:22 PM
Very well said, Matt. I agree completely with your "novel".

Thanks for the pictures. They are very instructive.

Carol :heart1:

08-20-2002, 07:29 PM
And just so you dont think all my fish are culls.....a better fry. The reason i took these pics is so people can see what to look for and what to avoid in a fish. All of these defects will stay with the fish all its life. Dont think they will ever go away, cuz they wont. Dont let a breeder tell you differently.
All these bad fish will be culled.Period. Not all hobbiest do this. Some will sell these fish at a low price or rip off a newby. Please look at the fish you are going to buy first. If you are mail ordering, you must ask about the quality and place a little trust in the breeder. Also telling them you do not want short gill plates, bad eyes, big eyes, arrowheads, ect, ect will help.
An informed buyer will end up with better fish, and enjoy them all the more.
HTH, Matt

scottwheels
08-20-2002, 07:41 PM
Matt, what strain are those fry? I wouldn't mind one in my tank!! ;D ;D Good to hear your principles behind breeding a better discus. Cheers, Scott

OEG
08-20-2002, 07:45 PM
Hi Mparson,

That is a beautiful SS, I wish i had him in my tank. I am partial to SS though. I think he is just beautiful and thats just a pic i can imagine what he looks like in person.
Great Job
Heres a few of mine you and all can critique.
http://URL

oodi
08-20-2002, 07:59 PM
OK... "STAMP ME STUPID" ;)... I expect it, being a newbie...

but what is a "gill plate", exactly? I'm referring to Matt's example of a discus with a short gill plate. And how does a rookie, like myself, distinguish between a "short one" and a good one???

Judi

Willie
08-20-2002, 10:06 PM
I think its fair to say that in every batch of discus, some individuals are going to be better than others. As breeders, it benefits us to pick the nicer ones for spawning. Here's a Red Cobalt that didn't impressive me with its shape.

Willie

Willie
08-20-2002, 10:12 PM
Here's another Red Cobalt, also male, from the same batch with a much better shape. I had a lot of people interested in these spawns, so I found myself with < 10 fish left to grow out. Its amazing the variation between well matched parents of an established strain.

Willie

Willie
08-20-2002, 10:14 PM
Here's a Marlboro Gold I imported from Taiwan as a baby. He grew up to be a 6" fish with very little speckling and excellent coloration. But again, the shape left much to be desired.

Willie

SLY
08-20-2002, 10:19 PM
Wille I have a similar female turqs..what do u think..are they the same? :)

Willie
08-20-2002, 10:19 PM
Another male Marlboro Gold from the same batch had a much better shape. This one looks smaller because its in a larger tank, but its actually a larger fish.

I'm not saying that these are beauties. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. But certainly everyone can agree on basic stuff like shape, high fin, etc.

Willie

Willie
08-20-2002, 10:22 PM
SLY:

Your turq is a lot better than my Red Cobalt. Yours look like they originated from Schlingmann's original stock, which has the horizontal stripes that go continuously from front to back. The striping is so regular that they look almost parallel. I love those!

Willie

SLY
08-20-2002, 10:28 PM
yes and it's hard to find this kinda discus in asia now..quite rare. ;) Here's another pic of her and her rsg mate.

Denny
08-20-2002, 10:36 PM
willie,

how many fish do you have? those are great specimens. i am sure that opinions vary like everything.for example i think three of the best looking cars ever made were the 69 gto judge(carols favorite?) the 70 hemi cuda in plum crazy purple and the 72 chevelle ss in black. i bet there are opinions that differ from mine(turbobuickgn?) -also nice.

when my wife and i got our first fish, they would be classified as (footballs) to the experts. we thought if you stood them on their noses and disregarded the tail they looked like a heart. oh well i like football anyway and hopefully willy can set me up with some quality fish.

by the way-- ginger or maryann?

denny

Lynn
08-21-2002, 12:37 AM
In response to Judi's question about gill plates...
The gill plates should cover the gills, completely! Sometimes this does not happen. Its a defect. Possibly due to poor environmental conditions during development or poor genes or both. If the area where the gills are located has a depressed 'in' banana or cresent moon shape, then its a short gill cover. If its appears to be red then its probably the actual gill exposed. Compare Matt's gill pics with the last one he posted. Anyone else have a better way to describe this?
Judi, hope this helped! ;D
Lynn

BlueTurquoise
08-21-2002, 12:51 AM
Hi gang,

First off i want to say that Matt is very right. I would not cull my dog because he is not a perfect specimine and same with my discus. I just won't breed em to make more "imperfect" fish. (wish you could just "snip" discus ;D

And the other thing i wanted to state was I AM SO JEALOUS AND ANGRY AT YOU GUYS Esp Cary! Why do you have to live so far away? Why does Australia have such stringent customs rules? It's just not fair dammit! *WAAAHAAA* :'( :'( :'( *sniff*

Ahem, well yes. I have seen this picture around for alittle while now and i think he is one nice discus...

Chong

oodi
08-21-2002, 01:07 AM
Thanks Lynn...

After reading your description of what a short gill plate is and reviewing the pics, I see the difference. I will have to check my discus to see if any of them have short gill plates.

I know I still have a long way to go to become "fish-literate", but you have helped me move one more rung up the ladder!!! ;D

If I start referring to my kids as "fry", or bad drivers on the road as "culls", then I know I am in serious trouble!!! :crazy:

Judi

Jeffery_Doty
08-21-2002, 01:09 AM
Wow!

Great topic going here, a great idea Brew!

Ok, what about this one, any comments?

Jeff
Oregon

brewmaster15
08-21-2002, 07:57 AM
I'll take it Jeff, how soon can you ship it to me?? ;D

-al

arwi1
08-21-2002, 08:02 AM
Hi there,
I am new to this forum - I joined because I want to learn about Discus and then get some. I have a few tanks of other tropicals and live on my own now so I guess I have enough time to devote to what will be a new interest for me. Reading the mail on this forum is certainly enlightening and the camaraderie seems wonderfully spontaneous. I hope to learn lots from you all. Thanks.
Tony. :)
PS I am an Aussie living temporarily in Switzerland so will not be able to keep my fish when the time comes eventually to go back to Sydney. I shall have to find a good home for them then and start all over again there. :-\

oodi
08-21-2002, 11:20 AM
Welcome Tony,

You can be sure to learn a lot here... I know I have, and I've only just begun!!!

Hopefully, you will find a way to be able to get your discus back to Sydney with you!!! :D

Judi

Jeffery_Doty
08-21-2002, 05:05 PM
Hello Everyone,

One thing that I feel it is important to mention is that selecting a discus strictly on appearance, especially if you intend to breed it, may actually end up creating weak, sickly discus, IMO.

In nature, it is survival of the fitest. A beautiful, round, perfect wild discus that can not escape a predator, find food, recover from sickness and injury and have superior parental instincts, will not have a long life or produce off spring.

In our quest for what WE see as perfection, could we be culling the strongest, and breeding the weakest? Should we not also seek to produce discus of superior vitality, immunity, recovery, and intelligence?

Maybe I am over-thinking this, but to just select a discus on one criteria, "physical appearance", may lead to discus with unseen deformities or defects.

I guess I would rather have a healthy, strong, vibrant football, than a dark, sickly, hiding, round discus.

Just some random thoughts.

Jeff
Oregon

korbi_doc
08-21-2002, 05:26 PM
:bounce: :bounce: Yes, you're overthinking it, although what you say is definitely a consideration. Why not vibrant strong healthy robust active parentally inclined round, red eyed (that is if red eyes are a plus) discus. A weak, poor doer will not look good to the eye, a sick disus will be obvious to the eye, so conformation & observation of behaviour (as in sighting food? maintaining strength in a shoal) may be the only way to judge at a single point in time. The next judgement will come when breeding, first for behaviour as a mate, then a parent. The next in line is called progeny testing or potency as a sire (dam?). Not only are they good parents with good rearing numbers but is what they produce "what you want in the offspring"? Just a few thoughts thrown in after a long day in the office!! lol Dottie ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

scottwheels
08-21-2002, 06:47 PM
I like the way you think Jeff. I guess that's why we all have some "imperfect" discus in our tanks, especially when the imperfections are caused by environmental conditions rather than poor genes.

Matt, what strain are those young fish in your earlier posts? I would love to see some more pics of them as they get older.

Cheers, Scott

08-21-2002, 07:11 PM
Scott, i call them pigeon bloods. lol
I know thats not what your after, but i dont do names, so thats the best i can do for you. Those are from my red spotted guys. They throw a few varieations in each spawn. There mutts i guess, but the fry are nice. I have 3 spawns from them right now. The oldest are from May 1st up to the ones on there backs right now.
I only kept 7 from ther first spawn, and it looks like 4 will have the red spots the male has. I will keep my fins crossed.
Thanks for the kind words, Matt

bokgrasul
08-21-2002, 07:17 PM
That fish: F1 wildXsscross,it got a very nice body line!!
Really,you're the man :)
No critics here , at this pics

scottwheels
08-21-2002, 07:39 PM
Thanks Matt. Wow, there really are a lot of variations on the pigeon blood bloodline... Did what I say make sense? No matter... I must admit, if you'd said "They are super red spotted white clouds" I would have been none the wiser! :-\ :-\ I just know what I like, and I like those fish! And to think their parents were red spotted PBs! Cheers, Scott

Mike_T
08-23-2002, 09:15 AM
Here's a stunted discus:
Compare the eye-to-body size of this Blue Diamond with the cobalt in the background, which is not stunted...

Mike_T
08-23-2002, 09:19 AM
Here's an wild RSG with nice shape(for a wild). It seems alot of discus from upper lakes and tributaries tend to be more football shaped, e.i. discus from the Tefe and Peruvian areas. It's easier to find wild browns and heckels, various reds with a rounder shape, IMO:

arwi1
08-23-2002, 09:26 AM
Thanks Judi.

Tony I :)

Bass
08-24-2002, 10:42 AM
Hint hint for other novices:
I'm still a first-batch novice. Here's an old pic of my favourite youngster. This is what the experts would rightly call a "typical novice runt". Eye is a little big. Snout is a little pointed... but as far as first attempts go, I think the IDRC (International Discus Review Comittee) would pass it, because...

The pic shows good health in the fishes colour and behaviour - regardless or size or shape.

That's all that really matters when you're learning.

Discus_Hans
08-24-2002, 03:22 PM
Let me see or it works?

Discus_Hans
08-24-2002, 03:34 PM
this is fun, how many can I post, I got some more. This was the set up on a show in Belgium I joined.

Discus_Hans
08-24-2002, 03:36 PM
one more, hee there's THE BOSS :)

Discus_Hans
08-24-2002, 03:41 PM
okay back to Discus :)

Discus_Hans
08-24-2002, 03:46 PM
Okay one more, you want more just say the word. by the way those are foster parenting some Red Sun.

Pamela
08-29-2002, 12:22 AM
wow hans, those are some beautiful fish

Pamela

pops
08-29-2002, 04:32 PM
hi all,
about these 3 discus?

DarkDiscus
08-29-2002, 04:40 PM
Pops,

Kinda hard to see there, but I'm seeing a football (on the left), some big eyes on the right and I can't really make out the little fella in the middle very well...

John

PS I like the color on the guy on the right - sort of a cool deep blue.

tango0806
08-29-2002, 10:25 PM
Ok I'll bite, this is a great thread lots of good information
how about this one.

tango0806
08-29-2002, 10:28 PM
Another of my RSG

tango0806
08-29-2002, 10:31 PM
My Ocean Green

scottwheels
08-29-2002, 10:32 PM
I'll take them off your hands for you if you don't want them ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Cheers, Scott

tango0806
08-29-2002, 10:35 PM
Last one

SlippedDiscus
09-01-2002, 08:59 AM
Just wound my way through this thread and I'd say it's the most helpful I've come across in terms of seeing some of the good and bad physical attributes of discus. I sure would like to see somewhere on this forum a labeled group of pics that show the various physical faults to be found in discus (eye shape/color, body shape, fin shape, etc) as well as pics of really premium discus (also labeled as to the specific positive physical characteristics).

I have no intention of breeding my discus, I keep them strictly for enjoyment. If you go here:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=11;action=display;threadid=2571

I think you will see a good pictorial sampling of really "poor" discus. Yup, my fishies. My guys have just about every fault in the book I do believe. But I enjoy them, I take good care of them, and I find many things to admire about them every day. I'm just saying, if any knowledgeable person wants to pull together a pictorial something like I mentioned above, feel free to use any of my pics as your examples of badly shaped and otherwise kinda fugly discus. ;D

To my eyes, just about every pic on this thread shows a discus that is really beautiful in some way. You guys have some very pretty fish.

sksambo
09-05-2002, 09:27 PM
Helo every one! what a wonderfull site! brand new to simply
Discus and anxious to learn. Love this string. wanted to get
everyones opinion of something I found on the web that
horrofied me. a heart shapped discus! :-X :puke: I guess I have
betrayed my opinion of it. I think it's horrable and the breeder should reconsider breeding this poor freek of nature. You'll find it at mdiscus.com/gallery.htm I would copy the picture but since it isn't mine I'd better not.
any way, excited to be here! looking forward to sharing!

SlippedDiscus
09-05-2002, 09:36 PM
Just linking for everyone.

http://www.mdiscus.com/gallery.htm

That heart-shaped discus is pretty funky looking. Emphasis on the funky, not the pretty.

Sye
10-15-2002, 05:47 AM
Hi all

Most of the fish shown here are fantastic and you must be proud to own them.

I personally think that shape is vital in discus fish and that anybody considering breeding these wonderful fish must be aware of the importance of culling anything that isnt right, no matter how small the defect might be.
Its sounds ruthless but it simply must be done to ensure only quality fish are sold.

the heart shaped fish is sick in my op :-\ :)

just my thoughts
regards
Sye :)

10-15-2002, 05:37 PM
Does he consider that heart-shaped fish a novelty or rarity or what? I mean, does that thing breed true? It's got to be a mutation, i don't know why that would be desireable.

Liz_Streithorst
11-04-2002, 06:02 PM
Would you all critique my fish please? I'm not thin skined, so have at it! I want to learn. Gorgive me...I'm posting pics of all 12. Here's #1. Kind of pointy in the front as compared to the back, isn't he? He's a White Butterfly. I'm still waiting for the white part.

Liz_Streithorst
11-04-2002, 06:04 PM
#2 I really like this fish but what a shoam...amber eyes.

Liz_Streithorst
11-04-2002, 06:06 PM
#3 I think this guy will be nice when he matures a little more

Liz_Streithorst
11-04-2002, 06:09 PM
#4 Same with this guy. I think he'll mature into a nice fish.

Liz_Streithorst
11-04-2002, 06:10 PM
#5 Nice, but an awful lot of peppering, don't you think? And forehead could be smoother and steeper.

Liz_Streithorst
11-04-2002, 06:14 PM
#6 This girl has 3 guys fighting over her!

Liz_Streithorst
11-04-2002, 06:16 PM
#7 This is my favorite fish. I bought her from Joe at ACA. Look at those tiny red eyes and beautiful round shape.

Liz_Streithorst
11-04-2002, 06:19 PM
#8 I like this guy, great shape, small eyes, but again, too much peppering. Don't you think?

Liz_Streithorst
11-04-2002, 06:22 PM
#9 here's another

Liz_Streithorst
11-04-2002, 06:26 PM
#10 This is another of my favorites. I love his size and shape BUT he's a
Blue Knight. Where are the striations?

Liz_Streithorst
11-04-2002, 06:29 PM
#11 This is my LEAST favorite fish. Football anyone?

Liz_Streithorst
11-04-2002, 06:32 PM
#12 This is my second favorite. He's from Joe, like my favorite. He'd be a proud daddy by now if he didn't have such a taste for caviar.

DarkDiscus
11-05-2002, 10:11 AM
Liz,

Nice fish. I agree with your selections on favorites, for sure. I have two just like the spotted guy up top, and I have high hopes for one of them. The other one, unfortunately, is the runt of the litter.

John

11-06-2002, 01:12 AM
#7 is absolutely horrible and unacceptable in the discus world. Send him to my house immediately and I'll take care of him for you....

Lynn
11-06-2002, 01:24 AM
Liz,

I like your selections for your favorites. That red melon from Joe is definitely sweet! The pepper is too much on most of your fish, but that last one(#8) might lighten up with a lighter background, hard to tell. Whats your breeding plans? Are you going to use any of them?
Thanks for sharing, and good luck!
;D
Lynn

Preeda_Lim
11-06-2002, 03:14 AM
I like #7, #8 nice round discus. BTW I like a peppering one most.. ;D

Preeda

11-06-2002, 10:26 AM
LIZ,
Who bought you that discus? and how much was he compared to your others?

And blue knights are solid when adults!

Francisco_Borrero
11-06-2002, 11:06 AM
As you may know I am not expert. These are just my impressions:

First, I basically agree with your favorites, but disagree on a couple of judgements:

1- white butterfly- Sure, lots of pepper; May look lots better on light background. Will look better with age.
2- Red panda- Very nice. I disagree: Amber eyes not a shame.
3- Ocean green - I don't like the shape at all. Picture effect ?
4- Wattley Leopard- Beautiful fish
5- Blue panda- Sure, some pepper. But nice shape. I dissagree: The forehead looks fine to me.
6- Royal Blue- Nice color. Somewhat arrow-shaped; Picture effect?Young fish that will look better later?
7- Red melon- Beautiful animal.
8- Marlboro red- Very nice. Sure, pepper. Light background will help.
9- Cobalt- Picture doesn't help it/allow judgement. Young fish that will improve shape with age ?
10- Blue knight- Nice fish.
11-????- I dissagree. Not bad. This fish could look beautiful in time. I would try some blue enhancing foods. Nice streamers.
12- Red Spotted snake- beautiful fish.

All in all, I would be very happy with those fish. Sure, some better than others. I have some ugly ones too, and some nice ones.
Cheers, Francisco.

11-06-2002, 07:00 PM
I agree with most of your selections. If you don't like pepper, then you must request for cleanliness on your next purchase. I am sure that some of these guys can supply you with clean fish. Myself, I only cheerish very clean fish.

I truely think that the Red Melon is not red enough. Nice body and everything but too yellow/orange to be called a "Red Melon".

Ivan
11-08-2002, 05:41 PM
Fantasticly great thread guys. I'd post mine but...

...ahh blow it! Here are some. Apologies if they seem dark.

Male red turq

Ivan
11-08-2002, 05:43 PM
Next, What would you call this? I cll it my orangy brown female!

Ivan
11-08-2002, 05:44 PM
Sunset tiger

Ivan
11-08-2002, 05:47 PM
Bit of a pointyhead eh? her up there.

All these fish were in a planted tank. They are the first ones I have grown on from 2". They don't look as bad as these pics make them out to be as they are old pics. About 3 months. The fish are now 10 months old, so a bit bigger and a bit rounder.

cheguevarra
11-13-2002, 04:02 AM
Cary ....Cary .....Cary

Tell me those are..... "MY"..... White Diamonds :-*

Beth

hi carry is that your picture on your post damn you look prettier than those discus your hot

cheguevarra
11-13-2002, 04:53 AM
hi beth was that your picture damn you the prettiest discus around your hot girl

April
11-13-2002, 06:20 AM
Ivan your fish look fine. i think alot call that reddish brown fish a red rose. i had one like that. i like them. they are the brown family.

Tad
11-13-2002, 12:15 PM
Ivan,
I concur with April, the brownish green discus is a red rose, and I love the red dorsal color on your Red Turk male. Nice fish

Tad

Ivan
11-13-2002, 03:36 PM
Thanx guys!!
Ivan

alisonty
11-19-2002, 05:44 PM
can you please critique my discus? any comments are great! ;D

http://fishgeeks.com/members/alisonty/discus%2001.jpg

http://fishgeeks.com/members/alisonty/discus%2002.jpg

Liz_Streithorst
11-19-2002, 06:27 PM
I've had my fish for less than a year so take what I say with a grain of salt. Eyes could be smaller on both fish but especially on the first. Body shape is better on the second fish. Beautiful high fins on fish #1, though. People don't visit this area of the board much so if you don't get many responses do what I did...go to general discus discussion and tell them that you posted your pics here and ask people to come look and give their opinions. Good luck and welcome to the board!

Liz

Scubaboy
11-23-2002, 10:14 PM
No NO NO Beth, Those are mine. Harriett is going up to Carey's and picking them up for me, so back off swettit !. ;) :P :argue: :funny: :jester:

peety
11-26-2002, 05:50 PM
Great Thread... I don't have a digital camera so can't show ya mine (not that they're head liners anyway) :o but agree with comments earlier on...
I now know I was picking the fish that others would probably be rejecting. I like the peppering and yellow eyes, and the heads that aren't perfectly round. I can see now that some properties are attractive when you get a fish with all of them at once (and to be honest I've never seen any fish as nice as most shown here), but still happy with the stupid quirks that some of mine have. 8)
I will be inspecting my next purchases more closely and I think thats why this topic was raised. Thanx

P.S. dont stop throwing away those rejects though, I may still prefer them in the end ;D ;D ;D

Peety

EthanCote.com
11-26-2002, 06:22 PM
Hey Alisonty,

I hope I am not hurting your feeling when I said that fish of yours does not look very healthy. He is dark in color and his eyes are huge compare to body proportion.

Normally a healthy, stressed free looking fish should have some colour in his eyes, yours are black.

I have a runt like yours, he is healthy in all aspect but does not grow due to the constant bullying stress from his tanks mates. His eye never colour while his tank mates has beautiful red or amber color eyes and nice body color and well body proportion.

What is your water parameter? What are you feeding it? Are there any other Discus in the tanks? It appears he is in a Community tank. How old is he? He looks like a runt, not to say runts are not adorable.

Again, hope I didn't burst your bubble and hurt your feeling. I just call it as I see it. Its never too late and there is still a chance for him to become what he was meant to be, big and beautiful. So tell us a bit more about him.

Cheers,

Chi.

alisonty
11-27-2002, 12:09 AM
he is my first and only discus. i have had this discus for about a month now. he has always been dark in color and his eyes are huge compare to body proportion (after looking at all the pics, i know hie is a runt) :-\ is ok, i think he is a beaut. he has gained some blue sqiggles tho...

i think he is stress free. he chases the chromide (the most aggressive fish in our tank) as well as the angel around. we have 3 guppies, 2 golden wonder (panchax), 1 albino zebra danio, red chromide, 2 white tip tetras, angel, phantom tetra, 3 bolivian ram, 2 plecos (regular and clown), 2 female bettas and a cory. heavily planted in 46 gallon tank. Whenever i come up to the tank, the discus will always swim to me...he seems happy.... ???

He gets bloodwoms (frozen), ghost shrimp and once a while black worms. I bought him from a fish store 30 mins away (laguna beach, ca) from me for $25, not much, i know but i am a student i can't afford much more than that.

nitrates = low
PH 7.0 - 7.2
ammonia = none

sorry if i am missing anything. i just started my fish hobby, so please, anything is helpful. i just want my fishes, espeically the discus, to be healthy. thanks.

ali

EthanCote.com
11-27-2002, 02:26 PM
Hey Alisonty,

Welcome to the Discus club. Soon you'll be inundated with more Discus. Its a disease really, and you can't seem to stop ;)

From what you wrote, it appears your Discus is doing alright, no stress from tankmates. You are giving it lots of TLC (tender loving care) so I'm sure he will make it out alright. LFS tend to have low quality fish but with TLC, you can turn this duckling into a swan one day. ;)

The only thing I can add is to try a few more various food to get him growing and showing more colour. Just go to the food section and look around, there are some great suggestion.

Best of luck with him Alisonty.

Cheers,

Chi.

alisonty
11-28-2002, 01:32 AM
thanks chi! ;D
by the way, how many discuses do you think i can put in my tank?....hmmm.....maybe if i trim my plants i can add more discuses? here is a bad view of my tank....don't have any frontal view... maybe i CAN get more... :o :bounce2:

would you happen to know any breeders near the long beach/LA area? over time i love to get my hands on discues simlar to the pics on this site. ;D ;D. ahhh...the joys of discues....so close....yet so far....... :waaa:

for food, what about those color enhancer flakes? i have the regular gold fish flakes (so i can see them darting around for the food) that feeds my feeder fish (6 inches and hopefully growing!) as well as the fish in this tank. will that work?

thanks a lot again!

ali

EthanCote.com
11-28-2002, 03:15 PM
Hi Ali,

If my memory is correct, I think its 2" fish/gallon. Someone can correct me on this. Ofcourse of your 46 gallons, minus the amount of space taken up by plants, gravels and ornaments and see how much gallons you actually have left. Then go from there.

Nice looking tank.

As for food, check out these links for names and brands you can try:

1. http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=4899

2. http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=4814

3. New Life Spectrum discus food
http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=3922

4. Diskusin
http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=4480

HTH.

Cheers,

Chi.

ZaPPPa
12-12-2002, 05:05 PM
And these?

I have had them for three months and they are around 7 to 8 months old.

http://home.planet.nl/~floor960/Aquarium/2Discus2small.jpg

More pictures on my webpage.

c-bones
02-13-2003, 02:03 PM
This is a red turk that I saved from someone who almost killed him.....he has a nice round body, stress bars gone now,( this was right after he got in his new hoem (three months ago).
not bad for free!!! :-\whatta yas think??

will post some striated reds...which IMO are what NOT to get as far as shape and eye size , Just can't cull, I saved they'er little lives too

c-bones
02-13-2003, 02:15 PM
:-XIMO what not to buy
Striated reds I saved lives but not breading Quaity at all.
Just can't cull.dont have it in me. :-[
Really bad shape, huge eyes, and were pretty sick when I saved them.
What is most sad is that someone sold these fish to my friend with a certificate of high quality :-X
Needless to say I told them about Simply Discus and they are learning alot........just like me :)..learning from all of you
This board is Great ;)
Rose

02-13-2003, 03:30 PM
Hi Rose :wave:

Great story ;)

Glad you found Simply :)

Mike

c-bones
02-13-2003, 04:49 PM
:D :D :DHi Mike, :wave:
Well I know you have been telling me to post em......so here ya go
These are my discus dreams.great round red eyes little wonders........uuhmm wonder where I got theses???????

Mike I want more
;D ;D ;D ;D
Here is a pic of a Peach panda Juvie and PB Juvie
Rose
PS. Had to show those poor Striated reds, I told my friend not to order there, but they would not listen,( now look whos taken care of them...the very kind of fish I dont want but cant kill)I just dont have the guts to show off the Certificate with the fish yet in a pic yet :-\ :-X :-\ :-X

c-bones
02-13-2003, 04:54 PM
here is one of the cutest Peach Pandas, Hes the bully though............. :o ;)

Rose

PS these pics are from a month ago too!!!

02-13-2003, 05:50 PM
Your doing good Rose, They all look great and your tank looks so nice..

Mike ;)

c-bones
02-13-2003, 05:56 PM
;) Thanks Mike,
My camera is a cr#%*#py one so my pic quality doesn't show there really nice color.
After loosing those fish way back when........... that I had before, I wasn't about to let any of that happen again,I miss those whites bad :-\
It was an expensive leason to learn but I guess I needed to learn it .
Thanks to you and as I said, all the wonder people here at Simply I HAVE LEARNED alot :-*

Rose :wave:
Here is one more of one of the PB ;)

By the way Mike...I want more whatta ya got!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!