PDA

View Full Version : Georgia, USA

Aquatic_Design
08-20-2002, 05:54 PM
Hi!
I live in Griffin, GA about 30 miles south of Atlanta. If anyone is in my area feel free to IM me here. I would love to talk discus with someone since I can't do it with my husband. He just looks at me like I'm crazy.
Donna :)

RealFish
08-20-2002, 09:49 PM
I am 30 miles in the opposit direction in Alpharetta.

Aquatic_Design
08-20-2002, 09:52 PM
Hey Realfish,
Nice to know there is another discus lover in the area. What types do you have? How many? What type of setup?

Donna ;D

RealFish
08-20-2002, 10:03 PM
I just started back into the hobby about 6 weeks ago. Have kept discus on and off for about 15 years. We moved about 15 months ago and I had to take down my 200 gallon reef (I wasn't comfortable having it over the basement instead of a slab). Anyway, I found a used 115 gallon DAS tank over in Athens back in May and have it set up as a freshwater planted tank.

I bought 8 juveniles from Ken Davis in Athens. 2 SS, 2 Leopards, 2 Bulldog Blues, and 2 that I can't remember. I lost one of the two that I can't rember fish early on. He never seem to quite adjust.

I have had a difficult time with Juveniles in the planted tank, so I bought a 55 at PetsMart and am cycling it. I will move the discus their bare bottom until they mature. That way I can play around with the plant tank a little more and have it nice and comfortable for them in 6 or 8 months.

Diana
09-04-2002, 04:06 PM
Hi, I live in AL, about 2 haurs from Atlanta. Diana.

Aquatic_Design
09-04-2002, 05:15 PM
Hi Diana!
Your not too far away.
What types and how many discus do you have? How long have you had them?

RealFish
09-04-2002, 06:29 PM
Finally, someone else. Are you in Birmingham?

Diana
09-04-2002, 09:03 PM
Hi Donna and Realfish,
I live between Opelika and Phenix City, AL. I first learned about discus while living in Germany about ten years ago. I only got brave enough to buy 5 discus about 2 years ago. I now have one 120 gal. and two 29 gal. tanks with 12 discus total. I have snakeskins, pigeon blood, and turqouise from Anand in Atlanta, and tangerine, cobalts, brilliant blue from Mike Wells. I would like to exchange emails with other discus enthusiasts.
Diana.

RealFish
09-04-2002, 11:00 PM
Sounds like some nice setups. I bought mine from Ken Davis over towards Athens. I would really like to get some RSGs, but I am a little uncomfortable with shipping.

pops
09-05-2002, 03:06 PM
hi u ga discus freaks,
can i join in?
nw ga, chatsworth, east of dalton & I 75.
been in fish over 30y. tried discus back then but a losing cause. now it's so easy. got my 1st one at a LFS then 2 more. lost one as i didn't do my wc's. got 6 more from Al's[rocky mt discus] 7th of aug. went into my 55g. now have cleaned out my 75g an will get about 12/14 more on the 11th[birthday] all 2 1/2 or so.
happy ;D ;D ;D :D :D

RealFish
09-05-2002, 04:32 PM
Where are you having them delivered to. I'd like to pick up four RSG. If they're coming into the airport, I'd like to piggy back with you on the shipping charges.

Aquatic_Design
09-05-2002, 05:32 PM
Hi Pops.
Good to hear there are more of us.
I'm also getting some new discus in next week. Mine are coming from Cary Strong. I'm so excited I can hardly wait for them to get here.
I am looking for some reasonable large tanks if anyone hears about anything please let me know. My obsession with these fish is getting out of hand and I need more tank space.
Donna ;D

RealFish
09-05-2002, 06:10 PM
Not sure what you are looking for, but a guy posted a 150 gallon Oceanic Tank with stand and I believe a canopy for $300 or $350. I believe he was in Tuscaloosa. That's probably at least $1000 new.

I'd post a link, but the website is down.

Aquatic_Design
09-05-2002, 06:39 PM
Realfish,
I'm looking for anything 55g and over. Preferably between 75g - 150g. Can be just the tanks or tanks w/extras.
Where did you see that 150g posted?

RealFish
09-05-2002, 06:42 PM
www.aqualink.com it's a general aquarium message board. Look in the classifieds section. The board has been down today for maintenance.

RealFish
09-05-2002, 09:54 PM
Boards back up, here is the link.

http://www.aqualinkwebforum.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=005834

Any chance I could get you to add some RSGs to that order from Cary?

giroux68
10-01-2002, 09:13 AM
I live on the east side of Buckhead. Just started my Discus addiction a few months ago. 55g tank, 5 discus from Mike Wells, pleco, cory cat. Lost one from the LFS. the rest are doing well. Looking forward to getting more.

pops
10-03-2002, 07:55 PM
that 150g tank is only about 120/130g at best. :( :(
ck this: http://www.majesticaquatic.com

Aquatic_Design
10-04-2002, 06:17 AM
Hi giroux68!
You're in Buckhead. That's not too far away. Probably around 45 or so.
I started with two discus tanks. Now I have 16 tanks. I picked up a Seaclear 150g about two weeks ago. My adult discus love it. ;D ;D ;D
Good luck with your discus.

Trapper
10-10-2002, 07:41 AM
Finally a bunch of Discus people around metro Atlanta!!!!! :D I thought I was almost by myself here :'(.....My name is Trapper and I live in Braselton, Ga....I love my discus but they remind me of teenagers. "Teens dont have ulcers, they are just carriers". Nice to see others around Atlanta.. Maybe one day we could all get together and enjoy chatting about our fish. I will be happy to supply the location. My house is always open to Discus discussion...
Regards,
Trapper

giroux68
10-10-2002, 11:24 AM
I figured there must be a bunch here in ATL. The Fish Store and more in Buckhead has an amazing show tank. That sparked me when I moved here 2 years ago. The water is almost perfect out of the tap. Gotta love that.

tiggertlee
10-14-2002, 09:54 AM
Hi fellow GA Discus nuts!

My name is Terry, and I've been keeping Discus for over 10 years (back BEFORE the day of fancy discussion boards like this!) and have just recently moved to the Atlanta (north perimeter) area! Knowing I was going to move, I got rid of my discus over a year ago, but I visited Ken Davis a couple weeks ago and have re-ignited my enthusiasm!

Feel free to ping or IM me with any questions or information (like if anyone would like to go in together on an order!). My MSN and AIM usernames are the same as here.

I'll be posting some pics soon!

Looking forward to talking with ya'll!

T

Aquatic_Design
10-19-2002, 08:57 PM
Hi everyone!
Wow I haven't been to this thread in a while. I didn't know there were so many of us around Atlanta. Glad to see it. Would love to get together sometime. Of course this is dog show season and also hunting season so maybe sometime later. IM me here if anyone decides to get together.

fishfarm
01-23-2003, 10:45 AM
Hi Y'all, There are a number of discus folks in the Atlanta area and many belong to the Atlanta Area Aquarium Association (Anand, Butch, Ray, Abraham, Kevin and me) Members in our club have taken First place in the discus catagory in the Last two ACA convention (me and Ray, we rule!) We meet on the First Thursday of every month at the Athens Pizza Kitchen. Check it out and come join the fun. We will have a Spring workshop and Auction April 12,13 and Oliver Lucanus will be the banquet speaker talking on Collecting in S. American. Should be a good weekend and there will be plenty of discus in the Sunday Auction. (I'll make sure of that! :) ) Ken Davis, President AAAA
Visit our web site and mine too!
http://www.atlantaaquarium.com http://fishfarm.home.mindspring.com

steve s
02-08-2003, 02:40 PM
I live in greenville sc. Thinking about buying some discus
from Ken Davis , but am worried he sells mostly imports.
I talked to someone who had seen some pictures of Ken's
fish and they called them C at best.
what do you think of yours ? would you buy from him again ? Any problems ?

Thanks,
Steve

Aquatic_Design
02-08-2003, 02:59 PM
Steve,
It's not really fair to judge the quality of someone's fish by hear say or even pictures. (Ken is not the best photographer ;D ;) ;D)I have purchased quite a few fish from Ken and have no complaints. The one time I had a problem he immediately replaced the fish. I can supply photos of some of the discus I have purchased if you would like to see them.

fishfarm
02-09-2003, 09:54 AM
Hi Steve, All I can say is come see for yourself, I have nice healthy fish and have never had any problems selling them, I have many repeat customer here and nationwide. I never put a "Grade" on my fish. I would not really know how. Folks who claim all their fish are grade AAA amuse me ;) Yes, most of my fish are imported from the dreaded "Southeast Asia", ;D But I went over there and checked out the breeders my self before I ever started importing them. I think the threads that claim "all the fish from certain countries should be avoided" are very biased and just plain wrong. How can you put down a whole Country!!! Some folks like Mike had a terrible problem with some imported fish, but he got them from an AMERICAN distributer and I think it is unfair to blame the original breeder. Once they go in a wholesalers tanks here, that changes everything. Ken

Angelfields
03-03-2003, 03:01 AM
Wow!

So glad to see how long this list is getting.
Count me in on the tally. ;D ~ Amy

DiscusR1
12-19-2003, 12:26 PM
Hello all :wave:
I have been to Ken's place and was impressed! Ken was very willing to help if I had any problems. I am from Birmingham AL and drove over to see the hatchery and it was well worth the trip, I was able to purchase two ;D ;D blue diamonds and one red melon, this was about a month ago and at the time the discus were 2 - 2 1/2 inches now they are at least 3 1/2 - 4 inches. Thanks Ken, When will you be ready will more discus like the white snowflakes that were sold the time i was there?

Waiting
DiscusR1

fishfarm
01-06-2004, 10:51 AM
I'm getting some wild fish from Brazil thru Oliver's collections station in Early January. I'll be Feb before I get more domestics in. Ken

DiscusR1
01-06-2004, 02:34 PM
what are you getting in?
I will be waiting!!!!! :D

fishfarm
01-07-2004, 10:21 AM
From Brazil:
Browns 2 sizes
Blues 2 sizes
Red Tucurui
Alenquer
Royals
Tefe Red Spotted Greens
Hopefully some heckels
Angels,
Rummy Nose Tetras
Some other cichlids, Apistos and Cories.
Domestic fish I have not decided on yet and can do just about anyhting you want special order. :) Ken

DiscusR1
01-09-2004, 09:31 AM
I was wanting some snowflakes and the yellow crystals.
when can you have them in? ;D

fishfarm
01-09-2004, 11:16 AM
I have 2-3 yellow crystal from my last Penang shipment. White fish will be in Feb. Ken

khblock
01-24-2004, 04:31 PM
I'm in Columbus, GA about 100 miles southwest of Atlanta. Feel free to talk Discus and share. I've been keeping discus about a year now. I've learned a lot from the Internet but learn more by talking and sharing with others. I've only had the opportunity to see one other's discus tank, Diana (Phenix City, AL / Opelika). She really takes good care of her fish! I am sooooooo envious.

Kathy

fishfarm
01-30-2004, 10:11 AM
Hey Y'all, We will be having out annual Spring Workshop and Auction March 20-21 in Atlanta. Dick Au will be the discus speaker. Info on our web site www.atlantaaquarium.com Hope to see you there. Ken