PDA

View Full Version : Aussie, Aussie, Aussie!!!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5]

April
03-27-2003, 08:46 PM
Hee Hee.....Brew....you'd love....those fish he has up for the contest. but......I think the little aussie fish are convinced Canada is the place to live? at least still on the same ocean. surely they cant go from pacific to the atlantic.

saints27
03-27-2003, 09:31 PM
Thanks Rod for giving me the opportunity to win some of your fabulous fish.
When I do win them are you going to hand deliver them?

Jamie

taybelZ
03-30-2003, 07:28 AM
Thanks for the lovely donation Rod,
your a very nice man to do that.

Hopefully the fishes come down to cold Geelong ;D

Any chance of hand delivery Rod? haha perhaps you can help me aclimatise them. hehehe j/k.

Rod
03-31-2003, 08:36 AM
Hi Guys,

I've posted some pics of the discus simply are giving away for the Aussies. http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=8267;sta rt=90#lastPost

These discus are around 10cm in size now and are waiting for their new homes. All shipping costs will be covered by the Simply crew 8) to the nearest airport to your home.

Rod
03-31-2003, 08:45 AM
Hi David, will i hand deliver to Geelong??...not bloody likely ;D :P LOL. Now i would consider a trip to Jamies to hand deliver..no offence, but he has sunny skies and golden beaches right near his place 8) ::) ;D

Smokey
03-31-2003, 05:33 PM
What a wussiy. Rod are you scared by a little rain???

By the way.. the discus you are donating, had not better be the ones you are breeding for us ''CANADAINS'''. Hate to have to come down there and slap ya round!!!!lol.

Us Canuks - just finished with winter and were looking for a good fight!!! Hibernation is over... back to the real world...
Hey, whats that big bright thing in the sky????

Smokey..... ready to roar.

April
03-31-2003, 07:55 PM
Well....i think im gonna make a new rule to add for the aussie fish giveaway. i could strongarm Ryan and Brew to go along with it all....if not 20 aussies sign up to win those fish....then they come to me!! and.....we want them hand delivered also. seeming simply is paying for all shipping....i see no reason why the box cant contain the breeder with it..or pay for a comfy seat onboard with those nice fish up in the carry on storage. ;D
Then....you can come and visit ..and i hear Smokey is going to have a nice guest house in his new house on the side of a mountain with a koi pond at the bottom of a fresh spring running down the mountain. woodstove and all.....so he may.....offer lodging so you can see his fish. after the prize ones are settled into my tanks all safe and sound.
SO....GET SIGNING UP.... OR THE PRIZE FISH WILL BE HIJACKED TO CANADA!!!!!!!

nalah
04-01-2003, 07:48 AM
talk of rude people.... i haven't replied to anyone since page 66.

April - its your birthday next week. what would you like (apart from more fishies..) how would a couple of boxes of Tim Tams go down? yummy

Chong - where IS Chong nowdays? Ummmm! little woman keeping the old boy busy these days. LOL

Rod - they are very nice fish. Good Luck everyone. except Chong. poor buggar must be http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/n/pukeface.gif

Hey Smokey. you dont want more fish now that the sun is out. go out and enjoy the weather. why waste it indoors with those fishies.LOL

my birthday was ok. night out with hubby....yer right! when pigs fly. but i don't mind. its more fun staying home watching paint dry...http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/8/pain.gif

Mattzilla
04-01-2003, 09:06 AM
WAS IT YOUR BIRTHDAY!!!!!! THEN HAPPY BIRTHDAY PASCALE!!! :bounce2: :bounce: :bounce2: :bounce:

Smokey
04-01-2003, 01:10 PM
Do I hear the wind howling..wait... no...its just Pascale whinnnnnninnnnng. Hey girl - you have to remind us men about these things, eh! We just pretend to know it all...just to impress ya gals.

For Sale: Complete set of Encyclopedia Smart Books; 24 volumes. Brand New, Never used. Sell cheap!

Got married -- wife knows it all!!!!!
LOL.

Smokey

nalah
04-01-2003, 06:36 PM
Hang on a minute Smokey. reminders,according to men,is whinging and whinning.
as for your smart books. GREAT IDEA. all men should invest in them...LOL
http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/w/thumbs.gif

Thanks Matt. it was last week.

saints27
04-01-2003, 07:06 PM
Thanks Pascale im doing fine .
lol

Jamie

nalah
04-01-2003, 07:41 PM
hello Jamie

these are for you. XXX http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/_950/bouquet.gif

am i forgiven

saints27
04-01-2003, 09:22 PM
Pascale
Your forgiven, just dont let it happen again. ;)
LOL

Jamie

April
04-01-2003, 11:00 PM
Heh Pascale. ;D Yeah...no fishies for me...and dont worry Pascale. my b-day will be just as exciting as yours. lol.
what would i like....hmmm......no idea. lol. I heard we were getting tim tams in january in canada.but havent seen their debut anywhere. of course i havent been in any stores.

where you been keeping yourself Pascale? setting up a tank for your fish you hope to win? :o
but not if ari has her way.....

BlueTurquoise
04-02-2003, 02:18 AM
Pascale,

Still here! It's just a combination of busy + i don't get email notifications for this thread anymore... not sure why?

You go Rod! good onya, seriously! As Big Kev would say "I'm Excited!" about the give away! It's almost party time!

My fish are not doing so well (moping around, they're not sick, just listless and sad) I need to find alternate Black Worm supplies... and fast...

Chong

BlueTurquoise
04-02-2003, 02:23 AM
PS. My God we are on Page 68 of this Aussie thread!

So far we have over 1000 replies, this thread is the oldest ongoing thread on this whole forum at 8 months old! and I am sure we beat every other thread hands down on being the most viewed!!!

But ssshhhhh! we don't want Al to start charging us hosting costs! *Don't tell Al!* hehe

Chong

April
04-02-2003, 04:10 AM
well just behave yourselves . would hate to get the biggest longest and most viewed and posted thread to get locked. lol.
it would fall down down down to the bottom of the pile.
then there would have to be aussie 2 thread.
ok....and yes i do know all about big kev. lol.
Im excited. big kev .
Big Kev cleaning supplies right? ;)

Chong...heres a trick......when you go to main..if you see the aussie thread as the last posted in this section.....then someone has posted. lol

nalah
04-02-2003, 04:42 AM
Chong. also.go to top of page...see notifications. this is your list of threads you have email notification for.

April - i've been here but dont always post. depends on time of day i visit. no new tanks yet. i am getting one built and getting stands made. then i will sell those other standard sized tanks i have.

Chong... i am so sorry. always seem to run out of time to get those darn worms from henry. i need more hours in the day mate.... and an extra set of arms.

Jamie.if you posted more often.i would not forget you... hows about some updates on your fish,fry,wife,kids,etc

btw April. where's Julz ?????

Mattzilla
04-02-2003, 06:55 AM
pascale or chong, do you know if henry has any babies for sale at the moment???
i need to go and see his fish again...they are sooooo good looking

nalah
04-02-2003, 08:20 AM
sorry Matt,don't know. haven't seen or spoken to him since the show.

saints27
04-02-2003, 07:34 PM
OK Pascale here's your update
Blue Turq babies about 5 weeks old
Blue Diamond babies about 4 weeks old
Snake skin x Red spotted snakeskin babies about 4 weeks old.
Blue diamond babies with no dorsal fins about 4 months old they are stunted as I was lazy and fed them frozen BBS instead of hatching live stuff , just not enough good stuff in the frozen kind.
Snake skin x Red rose babies are also about 4 months old and have just started to grow properly same result as the blue diamonds not fed properly when young but they are growing now .
Other than discus I have 4 batches of Rivulatus one month apart about 300 in each batch.
Curviceps about 200 of that are coming up to about 3-4 cm ready to go in a couple of weeks.
Double fire tails (8 of 4 male 4 females) ready to go now.
Plenty of others .
Wife and Kids are fine if i keep up the 2 hourly feeds then the kids will grow fine.
3 cats are ok.
The 2 dogs are good .
And the guinea pigs are growing well.

Jamie

nalah
04-02-2003, 10:12 PM
Jamie,that certainly keeps you out of trouble..all those babies.
mind you,we want proof. where are the pics.?

BlueTurquoise
04-02-2003, 10:47 PM
Chong. also.go to top of page...see notifications. this is your list of threads you have email notification for.

My dear I know that! I set notify on when I first replied to Scott's message on page 1 (I am the second poster of this now famous thread hehe). It has worked fine for... what 65 pages? now like i said, it just doesn't send me notifies for this thread anymore. Not sure why...

That's ok Pascale, I totally understand. How's your worm culture going? Let me know if henry has babies too! I am interested!

Chong

April
04-02-2003, 11:58 PM
Chong...just check in daily. makes perfectly good sense to me. lol.
Jamie....are you sure you dont need a few more species?
Guess you are full up then? wont be needing to win those fishies from Rod?

BlueTurquoise
04-02-2003, 11:59 PM
Huh! Just as we are talking about it, it descides to work!

Chong

ari_wh
04-03-2003, 12:44 AM
Goodness... Jamie,
You have been busy...!!! How are the double fire tails?? Can I have a pair of you?????? The Blue Turq and blue diamond babies sound excellent.. cause I need more blue in my tank...... too many other colours.... need more variety.....lol ;D.

Yes.. please post pics :)

Regards, Ari :)

saints27
04-03-2003, 06:21 AM
No time for pics as yet maybe Monday.

Ari yeah you can have a pair of double fire tails.

April there are actually alot more species than I wrote .

Bristle nose, blue eyes , Multispinosas, Gold severums ,texans, just to mention a few more.
Bloody water changes take up my life !!

Jamie

April
04-03-2003, 10:49 AM
well i see you were on chat Jamie.....i was sleeping....and no idea where everyone else was...lol.
surely you just picked the wrong night.

Smokey
04-03-2003, 12:40 PM
Ari...Ari,,,Ari.... only you would want color-coordinated discus !!! lol.

A weather up-date ---- While all-of-ya is basking in the suns warm glow; we got 10'' of fresh - new - pure white ''SNOW''.
Can you imagine; A mountain forest of tall pines, covered with the white lace of fresh snow. It is an incrediable scene. Bows heavy with snow, drapping down-ward, tree tops spiralling up-wards towards the crystal blue heavans. Spring migrating birds - confussed !!! Hehehehe. They don't know if they made a wrong turn somewhere....or what!

Ah spring time in the Rocky Mountains. Sorry - all you flat-landers.

Smokey

ari_wh
04-03-2003, 05:59 PM
Smokey,
It is just that the blues are harder to find these days. For some reason, everyone is going for reds and pigeons, nobody is breeding blues anymore. And I think they are still pretty ;). And what is wrong with colour coordinated discus ;D ;D. BTW, we are still waiting for the photos from you, smokey!!!!!! No more Aussie fishie for you until you post photos.....

I pass on the snow... I am having cold at the moment, just because Brisbane temperature dropped a few degree.... and being pregnant, I can't take anything but panadol.... It drives me insane, with this sniffy nose and sore throat!!

Jamie,
We definitely have to come and look at your new menagerie.... I bet, between work and w/c, you don't have free time. So, when are you free again.....? LOL.

Regards, Ari

saints27
04-03-2003, 06:29 PM
Ari
Sunday is good for me I dont think I have anything on ......except water changes !!

Jamie

yippy
04-03-2003, 07:21 PM
Hi my names kerry and i live in queensland on the gold coast. Where do you go for this fish competition?
Yippy ???

BlueTurquoise
04-03-2003, 07:26 PM
Hey there Kerry! welcome to Simply Discus!

Just go here: http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=8267

Have a quick read through and shoot an email to the address listed to be in the running. However there are some conditions such as length of membership. Please read the rules carefully to see if you are eligible and GOOD LUCK!!!

Chong

ari_wh
04-03-2003, 07:51 PM
Hi Kerry.... Glad to see you in the Aussie thread!!!!

Go and join the contest, otherwise you might miss out. You never know, you might win beautiful fishie.... :)

Jamie,
Scott might give you a call later on...... He is the one that has to drive!!! No home brew this time ;)

BlueTurquoise
04-03-2003, 07:53 PM
Yeah go enter otherwise Ari will win and she won't shut up about it! ;D ;D ;D

Chong

ari_wh
04-03-2003, 08:03 PM
Chong,
If I win... I will make Rod's life easier... cause I just go to his place and pick up the fish... No shipping required....

BlueTurquoise
04-03-2003, 08:06 PM
Heheheh just joking Ari. Put it this way if you win, I know they will have a good home. And with your record, they will be spawning within weeks of the competition ending! LOL

Chong

saints27
04-03-2003, 08:16 PM
Chong
Ari cant win as I am going to.....
its only an hour drive for Rod to deliver them and Ari and Scott can visit them any time they like.
LOL
Jamie

BlueTurquoise
04-03-2003, 08:17 PM
OOooo :whip: the competition heats up! See Kerry this is why you have to hurry and enter! hehe

Chong

nalah
04-04-2003, 07:41 AM
welcome Kerry
not 100% but pretty sure you had to sign on on 23rd or before,to be able to go into comp.
Chong..you're a mod.this stuff you should know old boy...come on.remember what life was like prior to marriage and get some of the oooommmF! back. LOL

April
04-04-2003, 08:19 AM
HI Kerry. Kerry has been a member for awhile...she just didnt quite make it to the aussie thread. I believe she did sign up already. right Kerry? and she also can get them hand delivered or she can go and get them...as she lives in surfers paradise. ;D Right?
oh..Kerry...theres two strange Canadians who insist on posting in this thread. LOL.

brewmaster15
04-04-2003, 12:37 PM
Theres also one very strange American Landlord that watches all the time and pops in every now and then to say hi... and make sure theres no wild parties going on in this "forum in a Forum" ;D...that he wasn't invited to!

-al

yippy
04-04-2003, 04:32 PM
Hi all, I don't want any trouble in the camp!!!!! If I'm in I'm in if I'm not I'm not - theres always next time! I got a number so i guess i'm in but either way it's ok.
Yippy :)

ari_wh
04-04-2003, 05:04 PM
Hey Brew,
There is always a party here and everyone is always invited ;D ;D.

Yippy,
There is no trouble in the camp.... The more the merrier here... It is good that you got a number from our good boy, Ryan... Now, we just have to wait and see who is lucky enough to win those fishie.... They are nice fish from Rod, I just saw them yesterday :). One of them was so nice, I was tempted to spike Rod's drink to net him home..... lol.

p.s. April.... you would be so jealous!!!

saints27
04-04-2003, 08:00 PM
Al
You are allways welcome at our Aussie parties as long as you bring plenty of your home brew along.

I wish the rest of you guys on here would stop thinking that you are going to win Rods fish, as I dont want you to be disappointed when Rod delivers them to my place.

Jamie

April
04-04-2003, 11:54 PM
Yes..and one strange landlord....lol. Hi Brew!!
as you can see....i have all these aussies fighting over Rods fish. lol. torturing them.....
Jamie...and Ari...and Pascale.....and...everyone else ....i would love all of you to win. but..sad to say only one can.
Dont worry Ari...i will get the next plane load of fish...shipped over here.
Or...fly over and steal them.!!!

yippy
04-05-2003, 03:13 AM
Well guys you a real nice bunch! :D The voting for Fish Of The Month on the other forum i'm in finishes on Sunday and my little discus has a great lead over the others. I hope he wins as hes a real sweetie! keep your fingers crossed for him!

nalah
04-05-2003, 05:28 AM
Yippie... do you know something we don't??? or as least i don't/LOL
what other forum/fish of the month????

i have my hands full at present,but to win fish is always good. but it can go to any of us...as i said before,good luck to each and every aussie...
http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/f/2jump.gif

Brew,as you can see,all the aussies are still here and still having a hard time trying to get them to visit the outside world...LOL

yippy
04-05-2003, 09:04 AM
Sorry, i thought id mentioned this but I joined another fish website before i joined here to ask questions about red devils (they have a special cichlid forum) before i got one - and while browsing through their site i came across a forum for members fish and tank pics - i put a photo of my little discus on there and he is leading in the poll for Fish of the Month. id only been a member for about 4 days and next thing i know my little discus was being voted as a candidate for their Fish of The Month comp. Its up to the other memebrs as to who goes in the poll - you have to have at least 2 votes and then the moderators move the thread to the polling section and then the contest starts - well my baby is leading. You dont actully win anything but a big trophy and "Fish Of The Month Winner" goes beside your name on the forums. But its nice to have people think your fish are nice. Well i dont want to horrify anyone but Discus arent even my favourite fish - they are my second favourite! I know this sounds silly but ever since i was a child i have loved Bettas - i have 5 gorgeous male fighters all in great tanks with heaters etc . i love all my fish with a passion but my bettas are more like dogs than fish - as far as personality goes (so is my red devil) I lost my favourite betta about 6 months ago and spent alot of money getting a fish biologist to come to my house to see what was wrong, he suggested to put him down but if i wanted to perservere with him it could cost me more than he was worth. All i wanted to do was to get him better or at least keep him comfortable in his last days. Finally after spending $200 on medication (specially ordered from a local chemist) i decided i had to be cruel to be kind and we put him down. :angel: He is still in a jar with his favourite plant in my feezer - i just cant flush him or bury him and it was the saddest day of my life. My boyfriend was at the pub having a few bets on the horsies when i rang and told him i had to put "Bony" down and it was so sad - he just burst into tears in front of all his mates who joked about him being upset by a silly fish being dead. But he was our little favourite. Is this story turning into my "Memoirs"? Sorry, i just get a bit emotional about my fish - most of my friends that dont have fish cant understand that you can bond with certain fish so its good to have these forums because everyone knows what its like. And by the way, i do really love my discus too.
Yippy

scottwheels
04-06-2003, 05:51 PM
That's a sad story, Yippy. Ari keeps a few bettas around the house but now it's starting to get cooler, we'd like to move them into some accomodation with heating. A mate of ours builds tanks, so I was going to build a "betta barracks" style tank with a sump where a heater can go. What's your suggestions?

Cheers, Scott

yippy
04-06-2003, 11:43 PM
Well if were you, a betta barrack style tank would be good but i would have the separaters made in white perspex or something as the male fighters get too stressed flaring up at each other all the time. I know they can see each other in the shops but this is only for a short time till they are sold. My mum had 2 bettas beside each other and they both died and another friend had 3 beside each other and now she only has one left. Some people think its fun watching them aggro with each other ll the time but IMO its not the best thing for the fish. I have perspex barriers in my discus tank for when i have to isolate a fish for picking on someone (not if theyre sick) and whenever i add a new discus i but a barrier up and put it in until hes used to seeing the others and doesnt get stressed out being thrown in with the tribe. The barriers have small holes in them so the its getting the same water as the main part ofthe tank. That sort of thing would work well in a tank lkie youre thinking about but id make the barriers white plastic or perspex and then youd only need one heater for all of them. The barriers i have just stick on with suction caps. It wouldnt cost much.

Yippy

yippy
04-07-2003, 12:01 AM
Scott, I just took a pic of one of my barriers - i hope you can see it ok - i had to lean it up against the wheelie bin so you can see it. It may give you an idea on what i mean.
Cheers, kerry :)

scottwheels
04-07-2003, 05:42 PM
Thanks Yippy, that's a good idea. I already have a small tank I can use, and I can divide it up so they can live in peaceful isolation (if only they knew LOL!!!) Interesting that you use them for discus too - I hadn't thought about that. Anything you can do to minimise the stress on a discus is a good thing. I haven't had too many problems introducing new fish, but that may be because we generally get a few juveniles at a time, so they get used to company in the Q-tank, or if it's a semi-adult fish on it's own it doesn't seem to stress as much as the smaller juvies. Seperation anxiety maybe LOL! Thanks again,

Cheers, Scott

yippy
04-07-2003, 07:06 PM
Hi Scott, I usually only put a discus in a barrier if its alot smaller than the others. When i first got discus i got 3 out of the same batch - id actually seen them when they were little fry. Even though theyd been together all their young lives, one of them wouldnt eat and got real stressed and there were no other discus in the tank besides them. I put him in the barrier for a week and he was fine after that. And also if ones being a bit naughty picking on someone - its in the lock-up for a day or 2 and they come out "Rehabillitated"!!
Yippy

nalah
04-07-2003, 07:19 PM
more betta nuts...LOL
i have a male blue crown and female. But i let mine enjoy life to the fullest.they live with the discus in a 200L.
and they love it. no probs so far.(touch wood) i find their life span increases if kept in warm water,especially here.it gets cold in sydney.plus they get the benefit of all the good stuff the discus eat.black worms,pellets,blood worms,earth worms..yummo! http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/n/puke.gif

btw - anyone know whats happening with the comp?? was to start on monday and see no thread on it. they should post who wins what,as it happens

ari_wh
04-07-2003, 07:31 PM
It is good to know that I am not the only one who is betta nuts here.... lol ;D ;D. Yes, I have 5 of them scattered all around the house. I put their jars on top of my discus tanksw now that it is getting cold. They seem happier anyway.....

I don't have crown or delta... always wanted one, but never seen bright coloured one so far. So, all my 5 bettas are normal ones... but pretty nonetheless.

Scott reckoned I was mad.. having jars everywhere... but now.. he decided that he likes them as well... so we might be having a few more jars in the future :).

April
04-07-2003, 08:00 PM
You poor cold Aussies!!! those temps are our summer in which we will be waiting till july for those temps.
our temp is about 6 celcius and pouring liquid sunshine..today. im sure if a fish was out there they;d get enough water from the drops to keep goin through their gills.
The prizes will be drawn throughout april. i will check with the boss as to when hes gonna do the aussie draw.
He might decide to make you all squirm .....for the whole month? LOL.
I better remind him you all descended from convicts...and might get a bit unruly? ::) ;D JK . LOL.

dm
04-07-2003, 08:11 PM
Hey you guys!!

If you get to a hundred pages do you think the boss will give you your own section?? :o

BlueTurquoise
04-07-2003, 08:40 PM
Hahaha 100 pages! we'll be there mid next week! ;D

Hey Aussies, any one contacteed Henry? I want some of those babies!

Chong

yippy
04-07-2003, 09:06 PM
Yeah one of my male bettas is in with my discus and he loves it in the 55 gallon. One of my others is in 120 litre tank in the bedroom with swords, neons and cories and no problems so far - theyve been in there for months. The rest all have their own tanks with heaters and bubble walls! They love playing in the bubbles! I hate seeing bettas in those little cups.
Yippy ;)

yippy
04-07-2003, 09:12 PM
This guys my favourite. The pics a bit blurry but he has the most gorgeous long fins - his name is Coco. The rest are blues, reds and another one is aqua.
Yippy 8)

nalah
04-07-2003, 09:20 PM
dm - welcome to our little friendly forum...ooops,threadLOL. drop in more often. April,Brew and Smokey are regulares.

April - convicts my *** girl. I paid to come here...LOL

actually,and this is true- my parents wanted to live in canada or australia. friends and family were really worried about oz land due to runours( roos and reptiles in the streets,natives with spears,etc.)Dad was never one to listen to others,so we came here.that was in '69.and haven't gone back since.

Chong - sent you IM.

Yippy - he's beautiful. post more pics of your kids.

come to think of it,have you posted a pic of yourself in the member section. tell us all a bit about yourself.etc.

ari_wh
04-07-2003, 09:22 PM
He is gorgeous... Kerry.... Is he pure white? I would love to find another pure white ones, as mine jumped out of his tank >:(. I think the cats knocked the lid of his tank and annoyed him too much. So annoying!!
Most of my bettas are multicoloured....

No... they are not in tiny little cups... their jars are big enough.... not for heater, unfortunately...

April
04-07-2003, 09:43 PM
LOl Pascale. Im sure Oz is no different than canada. lots of immigrants to make a colony.
But..great for teasing...lol
nice Betta Yippy.
i have one...a red one in with my swordtails.
my friend had one in with his discus and it did well.

scottwheels
04-07-2003, 10:38 PM
Hey Yippy, can you post a pic of one of your betta tanks, complete with heater and bubble wall? We've got ours in various glass bowls and vases - usually 2 or 3 litre size. One has a 5 litre bowl, with gravel and java fern and an annubias. LOL, once a planted tank person... I'd say he's the happiest out of all of them.

I haven't tried them in the community tanks. As well as discus tanks, I have a heavily planted 3'x2'x18" tank with rainbows, blue eyes, 5 dwarf gouramis, a pair of kribs, a pair of bolivian rams (have wrigglers again!), the last of our tetras (getting old now), a few dannios, a couple of glass catfish, corries, a clown loach and bristle noses. Might be getting a tad cramped for a betta as well LOL!!

I'll post some pics of it soon in the planted tanks section - I posted some pics before I added CO2, and the plant growth has been phenomenal! Now I have to start gardening and pruning in the tank!!

Cheers, Scott

mas
04-07-2003, 11:33 PM
hey everyone, havent posted in a while and to help the aussie thread get to 100 pages thought id say hello again :))

fishy wise has been good. ive finally moved the angelfish out of my archer tank so finally they have the tank to themselves. (plus 2 empire gudgeons and some tetras i cant catch :)) its a 6 foot tank and they're still young, but will grow into it im sure. now all i need for it is a nice school of rainbows :) i tried madagascan rainbows a while back but i had to take them out after the archers were eating them, one a day. they're a bit bigger now so might try putting them back.

things are good with my discuses as well.. the baby greens i posted (around page 30 something :)) are doing ok.. the socalled "tefes" are more turquoise than tefe, but the "royals" are indeed showing signs of being royal, they're great. my favourite pair keep trying to spawn, as well, learning from lots of failed attempts and tips from april on chat, they've got to wrigglers again, but theres a net over them this time, so will see what happens. the tank isnt really ideal for breeding, it has a few plants and substrate, but hopefully. please feel free to convince me to go bare bottom again. i tried it a few months ago, and the fish didnt seem as happy as they do with substrate. you guys are smarter than me though :)) yeh here are some pics..

http://virtualmas.tripod.com/theykeeptrying/ the fish there is male, i got him from trans, apparently he was from nura discus(theres pictures of very similar fish in pengang discus so its probably likely) he was unpopular and rather unhappy when i got him (apparently browns arent popular at trans :(( ) but he grew to the the big male of the house! hes my favourite fish! (the archers come next)

anyways. thats me.
take care yall!

.marcus

ps. yippy i thought your betta was a goldfish! :)

nalah
04-08-2003, 12:22 AM
ps. yippy i thought your betta was a goldfish! :)

Marcus - you need http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/j0/glasses.gifLOL.
but glad to hear all's well with the fish.

BlueTurquoise
04-08-2003, 02:54 AM
I remember when I was in Thailand (I am Thai origin remember?) when I was about 17 and my cousin took me to the local river/swamp/body of water...whatever it is called.

Anyway it was THICK and FULL of female betas! They lived amongst the reeds and grass in the shallows and were easily coaxed with some bread. Well they sure looked like female betas... we got a bucket trap set up and boy there were heaps of them. Not a single male to be found anywhere. Then again we didn't stay too long or try too hard as it was 44 degree heat. Not to mention the humidity...

Sorry, this is the memory that I have everytime Bettas are mentioned...

Chong

yippy
04-08-2003, 03:36 AM
Hi Guys, We'll get in trouble!! This a discus site, not a betta site!!! But heres one of my tanks. I'll post some more when i get my camera back - i lent it to my nephew for his school camp.
Yippy :D

mas
04-08-2003, 03:52 AM
hehe yeh pascale i probably do need glasses. from too much staring at computer screens (and fishtanks) all day!

.marcus

yippy
04-08-2003, 03:56 AM
The bubbles are up the side - heres one of him playing in the bubbles. My aqua betta "Denzel" has a real nice tank with roman ruins backing so i'll get one of him on Thursday. I have the roman ruin backing on my red devil tank. Ill post a pic of that next.
Yippy :D

yippy
04-08-2003, 04:13 AM
Getting off the Discus discussion again - heres my red devil tank.! hes a bugger, he keeps moving things so ive had to silicone the plants onto rocks. Theyre a great fish - more like a dog.
:) Yippy

yippy
04-08-2003, 04:16 AM
Scott, How big are your discus tanks? U have another red one in with my discus in the 55 gallon. He loves it. Hes always the first out for his dinner.

yippy
04-08-2003, 04:24 AM
Listen guys, I think we're all betta crazed and not discus crazed; Ari, Coco is a very pale yellow fading out to white in his fins. He's a very pretty boy! Talk about you with betta jars everywhere, i bred some bettas last year and jars lined up everywhere!!! Hope you like this:

The Betta Bug.

Beware! One bite will infect you with a psychosis called the ‘I-can’t-buy-enough-breed-enough-have-enough-bettas’

a rare, but incurable disease.

But there are some good news: Though incurable, one can live happily ever after with the ailment and have a complete blast.

And it is only mildly contagious.

However, do seek medical advice if you have the following symptoms:

You woke up this morning with both hands in your betta tank.

You caught yourself flaring at your reflection in the mirror while brushing your teeth.

You inadvertently sprinkled brown worms on your ice cream yesterday.

There is a betta swimming in your coffee maker.

You have actually pondered the thought of converting your brand new TV set into an extra fish tank.

You can actually see bettas swimming when you close your eyes.

kerry ;D

yippy
04-08-2003, 04:32 AM
Guys, I have posted on the faces to name forum - i did it 2 days ago!
Kerry 8)

Mattzilla
04-08-2003, 04:53 AM
where is the faces to name forum??

Mattzilla
04-08-2003, 05:09 AM
don't worry..i found it...and posted my picture!!! the rest of you aussies should post your pictures. i have spoken to a lot of you for some time now and i don't even know what you look like!!
c'mon...i've put my ungly mug out there for you to see...what do you look like???

Rod
04-08-2003, 05:10 AM
Hi Marcus,

Nice looking male you have there :) Looks like you're getting very close to success with those babies ;)

Hey Kerry, Just had to comment on the palm tree in your betta tank....very cool 8)LOL

Rod

yippy
04-08-2003, 05:56 AM
Thanks Rod, Ive got a few of those palm trees. Ive got an outdoor goldfish set up (its a tank shaped sort of like a pyramid that sits on a timber pedestal) and i have 2 palm trees in there as well. Well ''Brutus" my red devil bit me for the first time tonight, boy did i jump.!! :bounce2:
Kerry 8)

Smokey
04-08-2003, 11:18 AM
Just a side note to all you discus/betta fanatics--- since you keep your bettas in a glass jar already... float the jar in the discus tank. the water stays warm and the discus get to watch the fish in the goldfish bowl. lol... I used this method when i got my baby Black Ghost. works great.

Smokey

still packing snowshoes

yippy
04-08-2003, 05:13 PM
Hi Smokey, None of mine are in jars they are in tanks withheaters but thats a good for people who only need to keep them warm in the cooler months. heres a pic of one of my bettas in with my discus - he loves it.
kerry ;)

yippy
04-08-2003, 05:15 PM
That pics a bit blurred but the fighter goes quicker than the shutter speed on the camera. But hes very happy in there.
kerry ;)

ari_wh
04-08-2003, 06:24 PM
Kerry,
Please post better photo of yourself on that name and face thread!!! Can't see your face with wine glass on the way... lol. I like your betta tanks too... pretty cool. How big are those tanks to fit one of those heaters??

I am not breeding betta, Kerry... the thought has crossed my mind, but I stopped myself. I can't see it happening, not now... and definitely not after the baby.... Discus is enough work for me at the moment....lol. I would love to try one day, though...

Matt,
I think everyone knows what I look like now.....lol. My photos are posted on that Valentine Day's interview.... So, no need to scare you all some more with posting more pics of mine. When the baby is born... I will post some more... with the baby pics.. of course.

yippy
04-08-2003, 07:45 PM
hi Ari, My boyfreid told me to use that pic as he reckons its "The Real Me" with a drink! I'll get him to take another one of me - i'll be getting my camera back tomorrow so i'll wait till then. As far as breeding bettas, if you have a baby dont bother. They are fiddly things. You can't do anything with their water for 2 weeks after they are hatched and you have to keep the tank tighly covered, the slightest movement can make their lungs burst. Theyre ok once they are a few weeks old but i wouldnt do it again. My bolivian rams bred in my discus tank and theyre were much easier. The betta tank i posted is 15 litres and i keep the temp at 27 all the time, Coco my yellow betta is in a bigger tank as i had some neons in there with him but then i got another 120 litre tank for the bedroom so i moved the neons in there with the swords and mollies and corys. I had my neons in the discus tank but my big pidgeon blood started eating them, i saw him do it, (apparently neons are natural prey in the wild (or so i read in this aqarium encyclopedia). I have black neons in there and he doesnt go near them. I had a few guppies go missing too so i think Pidge got them as well. My other betta tank with roman ruins backing is nice so i'll post a pic tomorrow when i get my camera back - its a bit bigger than the other one i posted - slightly taller and alot wider. I gave one of my bettas away yesterday - i have a young girl that works for me and she bought a betta from a shop down here thats known for unhealthy fish and it died. She was so upset so i gave her one of mine that i bred last year and she loves him. By the way - do you have names for all your fish? I do! Everyone thinks im mad!
Kerry :)

yippy
04-08-2003, 08:32 PM
Hi Ari, Ive posted the pics of me that you asked for. I scanned some out of my photo album.

Kerry

PS next time your coming down let me know and we can go "fishing"around the shops. Are you on msm? We could chat on there!

saints27
04-08-2003, 10:05 PM
I had a tank made and bought a Fighter for Nadine (my wife) for her birthday, It lasted about 3 weeks before it died so I bought another one that lasted another 3 weeks now she has an axelotel (mexican walking fish).
Gee and they say Discus are hard to keep, you can have your fighters im happy with all my discus.

Jamie

yippy
04-08-2003, 11:07 PM
You have to be careful where you buy your fighters. I know all mine are bred locally. 2 years ago I bought some females at a shop (i will never go back there) and they had been imported from Thailand. They wiped out most of fighters and some of the ones that died were ones i had bred myself. I went back to the shop to abuse the owner and he admiited that that particular batch of fighters all had a bad disease. At least he admitted it. He offered me some more fighters and i said no so. He gave me some very expensive medication to dose the others i had left but it didnt compensate for all the hard work i had done by breeding my own. I have also found that mulit-coloured fighters don't last as well as the solid colured ones.
Kerry 8)

mas
04-09-2003, 04:33 AM
hey rod,

yeh hopefully. its been about 2 1/2 days from wrigglers and nearly all of them are still there, so im hoping. ive never got this far with them before. the net is still over the cone... will see what happens to-morrow.

noticed you commented on palm trees, thats one of the things i always notice when im on the coast, -everywhere- you look theres a palm tree :) lucky buggers :)

take care,
.marcus

ps. kerry can you post some bigger pics of the bettas? seems my eyesight is failing :)

yippy
04-09-2003, 04:48 AM
Unfortunatley guys, surfers paradise is not only full of palm trees but full of overseas visitors. Every second shop is a duty free selling opals and stuffed koalas & kangaroos and the other shops are cheap & trashy T-Shirt shops! Most of the locals hang out at broadbeach - theres more locals there. Im not saying its bad with having overseas vicitors here but i was born here and have seen the changes over the years. Surfers doesnt cater for locals anymore - except the night clubs and i only go to them when ive had a few! You have to be "Tipsy" to put up with the screaming techno music! years ago you could walk into surfers and see heaps of people you knew but not anymore.
Kerry 8) 8) PS Sorry about the BIG PICTURE!

Smokey
04-09-2003, 12:42 PM
Ahhhh .... " TIMES - THEY - ARE - A - CHANGING "

Same situation here, up in the mountains, tourists lookng for an ''expierence''... well the expierence is - us locals watching the tourists - boy do they dress funny. lol...

Well, if I ever get down to the land of ''Oz", I will be a tourist... dress funny...talk funny....and just be funny.

However, I know just who to hang out with... just to be funny...so if some hairy mountain boy comes a knocking at yar door...it is just a Canuck, on a walk-about.

Smokey

nalah
04-09-2003, 04:56 PM
Ahhhh .... " TIMES - THEY - ARE - A - CHANGING "

Well, if I ever get down to the land of ''Oz", I will be a tourist... dress funny...talk funny....and just be funny.

However, I know just who to hang out with... just to be funny...so if some hairy mountain boy comes a knocking at yar door...it is just a Canuck, on a walk-about.

Smokey

us! talk funny!. no way mate. you sound the same as we do.LOL

ari_wh
04-09-2003, 06:08 PM
Kerry,
Thanks for posting the pics.... At least we can see your face now :). We are planning a trip to the Gold Coast soon, but it won't be this weekend, as we have garden show here in Brisbane, and Scott won't miss it for the world. We are still renting at the moment, so all the plants are all in pots... and they are all scattered around every where. I think we should buy a house soon...... with all our animals, fishtanks and plant.

I love broadbeach... that is where we hang out as well, if we go down there. In fact, we used to work in Ernest, so Gold Coast is like a walk down the road.....

Talking about discus and neons.... we bought a few cardinals the other day, which are a bit small, so I was a bit worried at first.... We do have cardinals with our adults discus, so Scott reckoned they would be ok.... WRONG!!!!! As they are smaller than the others.... discus must've thought they were food..... and start hunting them..... WHAT AN EXPENSIVE DISCUS FOOD!!!!

Jamie,
I used to 'kill' my fighters as well, but so far so good now. I read and read and read a lot about how to look after them too... and haven't killed any since. A bit of salt goes a long way, also some melafix if they fins start to go funny.

saints27
04-09-2003, 06:11 PM
Kerry
It just goes to show how important it is to Quaranteen new fish for at least 6 weeks before you put them in with your existing fish.

Smokey
Id love for you to come to Australia I can always use someone else to help me do W/C,I need a few tanks scrubbed out as well !!!

Oh Kerry is it true that Surfers Paradise now taken over Tokyo as the capital of Japan???

Jamie

April
04-09-2003, 06:17 PM
We do???? well then there ya go...we're exactly alike.
cept your guys' A's sound like i's.....
g'diy....mite....
right???? ;D ::) :P

yippy
04-09-2003, 07:41 PM
Well jamie, yes thats true about Tokyo. Its good for Surfers Paradise I suppose - without them the shops would probably go broke. But then again if they changed surfers back to how it was before catering for the "overseas visitors" and started catering more for us locals alot of locals would go back there. Night time is a bit different as the younger locals go to the "Techno Clubs". I used to work for one of the most popular clubs in surfers - i used to the book keeping and wages and wages and stuff during the day. I ran into one of the bosses at Broadbeach a few weeks a go and he said "Kerry, we never see you anymore" I said i was too old for all the techno stuff but he said if i went there one night he would have champagne and tequilas flowing for me all night for free! (He knows i like tequila slammers). So in that case i will have to make him happy and just put up with the music until ive downed a few slammers and then i will probably enjoy myself! So i might have to keep my promise to him and pop up there after easter - my boyfriend hates the clubs so if any of you feel like a few Tequilas and chamagne, let me know!!!
Ari, you have probably driven past my street. Im between surfers and broadbeach on the beach side of the highway in Thornton Street. You know that big rock fountain just of surfers on the highway? Well thats Thornton Street. You may be able to get down over easter and we can go "fishing" for a couple of hours and then have a one or two drinks perhaps!!!
Kerry 8)

nalah
04-09-2003, 10:27 PM
Kerry,that a big no no.
Our little Ari have a tiny fry due soon. no drinky-poos for her..LOL

April... how true is that.LOL. d'gay mite!
ROFLMAO

April
04-09-2003, 11:26 PM
Yes Kerry.....thats my niece or nephew .....and no drinks for Ari......she will be the designated driver.
But she knows that.....she already said.... oh..im the wierd old aunt in canada. lol. 8) ::)

ari_wh
04-10-2003, 06:26 PM
Yes... no more drinks for me for a while.... not that I drink much to begin with, but I don't mind a few glass of wine every now and then. Can't do it for a while now.... I think Scott is VERY HAPPY that I can be designated driver every where now, him being a pisshead and all.

Can't go out much anymore either, because of smoke. I have to avoid cigarette smokes, so no pub or night club for me... and with this huge tummy... why would I want to go there anyway....lol. Not that I can dance anymore......

Oh well.... 8 more weeks to go now... :o :o. But catching up over easter sounds good, Kerry :). I will see what we have plan for the long weekend.

saints27
04-10-2003, 06:40 PM
Ari
Thats a bit of a contradiction there you said a few pages back that when you come to my place Scott wont be able to drink home brew with me as he will have to drive !!!!
Whats the story there????

LOL

Jamie

ari_wh
04-10-2003, 07:09 PM
Jamie,
Too far from your place.....lol. I am more familiar with driving to the Gold Coast and back.. used to drive there every day. Besides, Scott owed me one last time.... lol.

yippy
04-10-2003, 08:22 PM
Ari, let me know if youd like to come down - my friend has a prawn trawler and hes giving us some yummy seafood for easter. We dont have to go out, you guys are more than welcome to just hang in here at my place. Id love you to meet my discus and other 40 or so fish, and my red devil!! My phone number is 0755920148 and mobile is 0416176015 - just give us a tingle whenever you can make it - we have room for overnight visitors as well!
Kerry :)

nalah
04-10-2003, 09:17 PM
mmmm! seafood.http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/5/liplick.gif... if only sydney wasn't so far away.LOL

April
04-10-2003, 10:10 PM
If only canada wasnt so far away. lol.

saints27
04-10-2003, 11:12 PM
Pascale
I think its time that you came up to the Sunny part of Australia for a Queensland Discus tour and you can visit those famous Queensland hatcheries, You know Rod Lewis Enterprises , Scott & Ari's Discus Dome and of course Jamie's Aquatic play ground.

Jamie

FischAutoTechGarten
04-11-2003, 12:32 AM
My wife and I spent 3 weeks in New Zealand in March. I was blown away by the near absence of fish stores. Very few. Tried to locate good ones in Wellington, Auckland, Dunedin, Queenstown and ChristChurch. Found a few lame ones. Are their any Discus breeders in New Zealand?

ari_wh
04-11-2003, 02:58 AM
Kerry,
I will give you a call... as for now, we are not so sure what we are doing on easter long weekend, as there might be family coming over from Adelaide.... Thanks for the offer and we will try to take you up on that ;D, cause I LOVE SEAFOOD!!!!!

Pascale,
Yes... come on up.... At least it is warmer here in Brisbane....

ODwyer,
Not sure about NZ. We went there ourselves last year in October, but only to see family and friends... so we did not do any discus hunting or anything... But, I know there are a few hobbyist there. They were members of simply, I think.

nalah
04-11-2003, 05:09 AM
dwyer - no one goesto NZ. half the kiwis are here...LOL

April - we'll do a deal. if you come to sydney,the two of us will travel to QLD together.

Jamie's aquatic playground...LOL. i like that.

April
04-11-2003, 08:34 AM
thatd be fun Pascale...but will have to wait a tad....
need that pretty coloured paper in my pockets. the stuff they call money. lol.
But i will....in the near future. might have to sell off a kid or two first. Right now they absorb it all.
yes there was or is a member or two here on simply from nz.
if i come across their names...i'll im you.

FischAutoTechGarten
04-11-2003, 12:06 PM
True Pascale,
Which amazes me because New Zealand is such an absolutely beautiful country...sans the job early Europeans did of removing any tree they could find on the North Island.

New Zealand is gorgeous. Weather is fantastic. Cost of Living is a bit high, perhaps explaining the exodus, particularly the young.

One does begin to miss mammals though. So often on the South Island, I thought...man sure would be nice to see a few flying squirrels, chipmunks, raccoons, bears, deer, foxes, badgers, coyotes, etcc... I understand why they shouldn't exist there but nonetheless, you do begin to miss them.

The lack of diversity in fresh water fishes really stands out as well. Just a few drab looking species. I suppose the big eels that make their way over from Somoa by sea and the introduced Trout will play apart in reducing it even further.

Mattzilla
04-14-2003, 08:55 AM
does anyone know if there are any discus auctions or anything similar in australia???

BlueTurquoise
04-21-2003, 12:00 PM
:wave:

In case people have not noticed, its easter holiday season for us Aussies and many others as well. Sorry I have not been in front of a computer at all for the past week or so. I may not be infront of one for even longer (we taking a break! Easter + Anzac day long weekend all in one is too good to pass up!)

Cya on the other side! ps. my fish are doing well!

Chong

April
04-21-2003, 12:29 PM
hi chong!! you aussies party far too much. lol. yes...i have my aussie calendar...and that means you get 3 days or work..and another holiday? all too easy if you ask me. im moving over there. lol.
hope the easter bilby came to you chong!! and everyone else.
oh....heres a news bulletin.
ryan suggested we lock this thread and start a new one or a special section for the aussies. as its getting too long and he wants to trim . he said he will archive it. otherwise if he starts trimming it could be lost.
so......an aussie aussie aussie two thread may be soon starting at a forum near your keyboard .

scottwheels
04-21-2003, 07:34 PM
Heh, sounds good April. I was wondering what was going to happen to this thread - it turned into a monster!! Hope you and everyong else had a happy easter. I'm a contractor, so I'm at work today :( Otherwise, I'd be like everyone else in the land of the long weekend, and take 3 days holiday for 10 days off in a row. But wait, there's more!! May 5 is Labour Day in Queensland so... yet another long weekend. I could get used to this... More time to look after baby fish.

Cheers, Scott

ozarowana
04-22-2003, 09:50 PM
Just like to introduce myself... I'm from Bris and am looking at getting back into discus after a long break (about 6-7 years).

April
04-23-2003, 01:03 AM
Hi there and welcome . think your making a very wise decision. lol 8) ;D :thumbsup: :wave: :drummer:

Rod
04-23-2003, 04:11 AM
Hi Ozarowana,

Welcome, glad to see another member from Brisvegas. Thats the thing with discus, almost immpossible to give them up ;D

Rod

Mattzilla
04-23-2003, 07:01 AM
hi ozarowana

nice to meet you

matt

nalah
04-23-2003, 06:10 PM
howdy all
easter doesn't mean i don't work so its pretty busy as usual for me.

welcome ozarowana. :wave:

ryan says that he has a winner for the discus Rod donated - check your emails everyone. it could be you.

BlueTurquoise
04-23-2003, 08:36 PM
Hi All!

Hi Ozarowana! Welcome!
Hi Matt!
Hi April!
Hi Rod!
Hi Pascale! :-*

Hey I went to Trans on the weekend to lookie see what they did with the new shop (have not been there since they moved in January teeheehee).

Anyway I am very dissapointed with the quality of their stock! eeek! On the other hand, their store is VERY nice! I like! Esp the water feature at the front of the store hehe

Yes we Aussies are full of excuses to have long weekends! lol

Shucks, we are getting our own section! Woohoo! I agree, if this thread gets chopped we'd lose alot of history! :'( So the next question is when?

Hey Ryan, i went to a advanced HTML course yesterday, frames, embedded applets, CSS it was very cool. Best part, work paid for it! hehe

Hope all your fish are doing fine! Mine are dandy!

Chong

Ryan
04-23-2003, 09:41 PM
Yes, there is a winner... and he's being stubborn and not answering my e-mail... guess I'll have to whip out my stick! http://forum.simplydiscus.com//YaBBImages/spank.gif

Ryan

nalah
04-23-2003, 11:19 PM
http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/g/blobfir.gifthis is not funny ryan... who IS it. we know all other winners,why not this one.

btw- depending on when you emailed him.we have several public holidays here...maybe gone away for a few days.

April
04-24-2003, 12:04 AM
Pascale..ryan always waits for them to say yea or nay before he announces the winners. so.until he or she..answeres their email...no posting of the winner. lol.

Rod
04-24-2003, 05:40 AM
LOL Ryan, i was wondering how long it would be before you pulled the whip out.

Ryan
04-24-2003, 06:13 AM
Sorry Pascale, it's not discrimination against the Aussies... I have to get a confirmation before I'll announce a winner. I actually know the winners for the next three prizes as well, but no emails from them yet either :) So when does the Aussie holiday end? Maybe someone has his phone number... hmmm....

Ryan

nalah
04-24-2003, 02:41 PM
today is friday - another public holiday. most people return from vacation by sunday,as the kids are back at school monday.

Ryan- can i be a mod just while this comp is on. LOL. i hate waiting. patience is NOT one of my strong points...i'm an Aries. and if i know April,she too would be jumping around wanting to know all,were she not a mod.LOL

Smokey
04-24-2003, 03:10 PM
Sure Pascale - you can be a moderator. .. that way there will be more prizes for the others...[you can not http://smilies.sofrayt.com/1/k/eyebrow.gifwin iF your ''A MOD.]]. lol. hehehehehehe
BTW ... it is only Thursday!!!!
lolhttp://smilies.sofrayt.com/1/g/hitchhik.gif
I know, cause I have to work till 9:00pm., tonight!!!
http://smilies.sofrayt.com/1/g/bluegrab.gif
Howdey Ozarowana [ where do you Aussies come up with all these neat names???]. Welcome to the best little dam discus site, ever.

Smokey

nalah
04-24-2003, 05:13 PM
hiya smokey. where you been?
its just as exciting finding out who's won

btw - its friday here...7.01 am to be precise. been awake since 3 am. fell asleepon the lounge and felt the cold.then i couldnt get back to sleep. so i'm doing the books.nearly tax time here,so i have to keep things up to date.I'm http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/_950/bee.gifY

April
04-24-2003, 08:11 PM
Poor Pascale...just think..if the winner never again surfaces...Ryan would have to redraw. lol hows that?
Yeah im not too good at waiting for pressies. lol. but we're having fun watching you all squirm.... lol.
Rod knows...maybe he can be bribed. ::)

Rod
04-25-2003, 04:04 AM
Off course i accept bribes ;D ;D

brewmaster15
04-25-2003, 06:56 AM
Only if you split the bribe with me ROD! ;D

-al

Rod Coleman
04-25-2003, 07:01 AM
Hi Guys

Just thought I'd say G'Day - Ive been away for a few days and haven't been able to check my email (heh heh) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Now what are you all stressin' about? ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Hey, think I'll get busy building that new stand. :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

Lucky I've got all the timber. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

And the empty tanks. ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Well, guess I'll go read the news. :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

Regards
Rod

April
04-25-2003, 08:59 AM
Hee Hee. now i wonder whos prize fish these are.....nice fish from ROD......they are Rods fish. !!!!!!
congrats....now we all want to see a post saying....Rods fish. guess they will always be Rods fish.
get building. :smash: :thumbsup:

Rod
04-25-2003, 05:00 PM
Congrats Rod,

Glad you could make it back mate, i thought i might have to don some riot gear if you left your reply much longer ;D

Check your inbox, i'll leave contact details and we can organize to have these shipped down to your place soon.

Rod :)

Smokey
04-25-2003, 05:07 PM
Congradulations Rod ... on winning ... Rod's discus .... is this confusing or what???

Well, at least the discus will not have to learn a new persons name .... HEY - ROD ... ITS FEEDING TIME !!!!!

And Pascale nanananananana. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

nalah
04-25-2003, 08:38 PM
hey smokey- whatch it you ! http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/_950/boxing.gif

CONGRATS ROD
http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/i/ura.gif

Rod Coleman
04-25-2003, 09:40 PM
Thanks Pascale

You should have known how Rod's fish like to travel - the further the better ;D

Rod

April
04-25-2003, 11:00 PM
Yeah.your right Rod .they do like to travel the further the better
i have this sinking feeling once their on that plane...they may decide to stay on it till the hit vancouver canada!!!!
YVR here we come!!! why get off the luxury plane..when their already all tucked comfortably in those bags and box?
MR. Lewis....make sure you put in huge letters YVR on that box!!! it will be sure to arrive safely at the right airport. ;D

Rod Coleman
04-26-2003, 08:26 AM
April - no way mate!

Those fish will be under instructions to bail out the moment they feel the water swirl the other way LOL. :P ;D :D

Rod

brewmaster15
04-26-2003, 11:32 PM
Congratulations Rod !!!

I'm envious. I'd have loved some of Rod's Discus myself!!! :)

Thank You again MR. ROD LEWIS for donating your Fish to our Giveway! I owe you big time :)

take care,
al

April
04-27-2003, 06:18 PM
Brew..it could happen in the future. im sure theres a way.
i have it on good authority Rods fish love to travel abroad. and they are fascintated with their whirlpools going the right way. lol.
if smokey and i have our way..they will once again leave the land of down under and make their way to canada. : ))
from there.a mere hop skip and a jump to connecticut. right?

Smokey
04-27-2003, 08:43 PM
Now ... Now >>> Pril ... don't start giving away the '' BEST OF AUSTRALIA '' just yet.

THE ''DOWN - UNDER - DISCUS'' are for Canadians ''ONLY''...

we must bring in new DNA/strength; to help reassure the domination of the species.

Then and only then ... [ with Rod's permission ] will they become available. LOL.

I think.

April
04-27-2003, 09:07 PM
LOL Smokey. yah think us canucks should have the exclusive to the lewisdiscus? 8) ;D ::)
Of course...Brew is awfully busy...and has alot of fish!! but he also has some fancy new racks.
:thumbsup:hope he didnt forget to put his hockey pucks under the feet.....

nalah
04-27-2003, 11:41 PM
aren't you foreigners forgetting something....
there are 3 discus hungry LEWIS fans already on Rod's doorstephttp://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/c/uptosomething.gif

were it just me you had to compete with,it would be a bit easier..LOL

April
04-28-2003, 12:14 AM
LOL Pascale.... we will have to bribe him then..as he said himself hes open to bribes. ;D

taybelZ
04-28-2003, 01:11 AM
Congrats on winning the prize Rod, make sure you take some photos for us to see. ;D
Once again thanks Rod (the other one) for donating the prize, your a very generous man :) :)

ari_wh
04-28-2003, 01:28 AM
Congratulation to Rod (Melbourne). I am sure you won't be disappointed with the fishie.... I inspected them myself.... I almost bribed Rod to give me one of them......lol.

April & Smokey,
Don't get too excited.... I think Rod is having problem handling Aussie's order.....lol.

April
04-28-2003, 02:00 AM
Ari ...the only reason he will have trouble handling the aussie orders.is their all slated for Canada!! hows that? 8) :P :argue:

nalah
04-28-2003, 02:53 AM
you really want aussie fishies,don't you April... dear me,what does this say about all those US bred fish?

April
04-28-2003, 03:01 AM
Hmmmm....theres a few of those i want also.....there easier to come by...lol. Dont worry..Cary gets harrassed plenty.
some of my aussie fish just need mailorder brides..or grooms..to complete their family tree. hows that? i have one poor scribble who is looking for a wife....
and a nice rt x brown who needs a groom with nice stripes or at least a nice red base...lol.

nalah
04-28-2003, 04:09 AM
well if its for the fishies then,by all means....

Rod,come on. Aprils scribble is lonely. you know what aussie blokes are like.don't do well for too long without a good woman by their side.... the boy needs a womanhttp://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/c0/haha.gif

Rod
04-28-2003, 09:47 AM
Thanks everyone for your kind words, it really is a pleasure to be given the chance to help out a great site like this one. Best on the net for information, a friendly atmosphere and it is a site with a real international appeal to it. Everyone is made to feel welcome so to be involved in some small way really is a treat for me.

Rod
04-28-2003, 09:55 AM
OK you guys, i was having a good laugh reading all them posts. I think i was even a bit red faced here :-[...lol.

As you guys all know i've not been breeding after i took my job, and been keeping myself quite busy doing some renovations etc, but recently i put a few pairs together to continue my lines, and have started to get the first new babies. With some luck i hope to have some excess fry fairly soon.

April
04-28-2003, 06:10 PM
Dont get a swelled head on us now...Rodney... I just like to torture those poor Aussies and let them think we're taking something away from them....that they are lucky enough to have.
one thing i do like about your fishies though..is they have a complete family tree...and bloodlines. whereas if you buy some nice import..you really know nothing of their parentage. right?
my manas also really would like to have some of their nice alencer cousins over here also....and some of those nice blondes...(goldens)
then surely id be content.

BlueTurquoise
04-28-2003, 08:44 PM
I'll take a few of those Rod my main man! (when they are ready) ;D ;D

Chong

BlueTurquoise
04-28-2003, 08:47 PM
PS. now that we are on the subject I have 3 elegible "ladies" (well one for sure is a lady, the other 2 sure look like ladies) here in my tank looking for a round, dark and handsome fish to come their way! ;D ;D ;D

Rod Coleman
04-28-2003, 08:50 PM
Well said, Rod.

The Simply forum is fantastic.

Ari - no bribes allowed - those fishies are accounted for ;D

Oh boy the pressure is really on me now to get those tanks set up. Maybe if I don't sleeep at all??? ::)

I've totally lost my study to the fish - a few weeks ago I had to put a tank on my desk to get more space. Now I work on the kitchen table! :-\

Regards
Rod

Rod Coleman
04-28-2003, 08:53 PM
Rod, did you say new babies?

Hmm ...... what sorts? ::) ::) ::)
Just can't help myself!

Rod

BlueTurquoise
04-29-2003, 08:18 PM
What sort? I don't care really, I'll have them anyway hehe

Chong :thumbsup:

Smokey
04-29-2003, 08:31 PM
Personally speaking, I am very impressed with Rod's discus.

Smokey

April
04-29-2003, 08:34 PM
Smokey..... sshhhhhhhhhhhhh.......the aussies are getting tempted.... all the less for us. lol.

BlueTurquoise
04-29-2003, 09:57 PM
Yeah Smokey! dun let the cat out of the bag! ;D

Chong

Smokey
04-30-2003, 02:24 AM
OOOOOPS, SORRY ! :cowboy:

Rod
04-30-2003, 09:17 AM
Hi guys,

I've been trying to breed red turks, red diamonds, scribbles and blue turks. So far the red turks have produced some nice fry and also the scribbles have some fry atm. Actually Smokey already has some of this male red turks babies, but with a different mother.

Smokey
04-30-2003, 03:10 PM
Yes I do. The Red Turks I received from Rod L.; back in September, 2002 - are now adults. They have grown into some of the most georgous discus I have ever owned.
They are about 5.5 inches. The turquouse markings are beyond description!!! INCREDIABLE COLOUR TONES.
THE PHOTO HARDLY DOES JUSTICE. ex.- where white appears - is actually TURQUOSE ... Two have extremely tall full Dorsal fins./. matching Anal fins. The Caudal fins are transluance, speckled with ''opal'' flakes.

The discus IMO are stunning.

Just a side note ... may not have any bearing, but I do have to comment. Shortly after I received the discus; I change the water. FROM R/O TO STRICTLY ''PEAT'' CONDITIONED .

My observations -
They are more relaxed.
They are very active.
They are very responsive; expecially at feeding time!!! LOL.
They sutily transpose the most extrordinarly shades .

AND - pehaps the most important observation.

The discus have never been ill. No fungus, no bacteria, no nothing !!! Just beautiful - healthy - strong.

I have shared this observation with other discus persons and most seem to agree/ similar observations. Are the qualities of ''PEAT'' true [???].

There seems to be an interest in a product produced from the almond tree. Aparently; similar water conditioning is obtained; using the leaves of this tree.

Canada has a natural abundance of peat fileds; due to the ice age and permafrost ....times. I understand, correct me I if I am misinformed ... the southern hemisphere ... lacks natural peat .[???].

They say the Amazon River and all Her tributariares are high with natural plant tannins - aka - low pH.
I have talked with persons who have returned from discus collecting expeditions; some say some water is so ""RICH'', snorkling vision is almost impossible. I'll take their word !!!

I hope there are some members in Australia/New Zealand, who may have similar observations/expierences to share.

I am all ears!

Smokey;
ps- yesterday we had 60 cm. of fresh, white, mountain snow. Only in Canada, eh !!!

ronrca
04-30-2003, 03:48 PM
I must say Rod, Smokey has been campaigning about your discus (is he your ambassador to Canada by any chance! LOL). He has convinced me (Im already quite excited) and Im sure many others. Therefore, us Canadians will be cleaning you out when we get the chance! ;) Thought Id just warn you or perhaps update you on Smokey's progress as ambassador! LOL!

Btw, Smokey should be tried in the simplydiscus court for indecent exposure to highly attractive and extremely addictive Rod Lewis discus! I suggest sentencing Smokey to getting more Rod Lewis discus for everyone! ;)

ari_wh
04-30-2003, 05:43 PM
Smokey,

No more fish for you before posting the photos of those fishie..... I am sure Rod would agree with me... We want to see whether they are in good hands.... ;D ;D.

If you show your fishie, I might show you my goldens. They are huge now... and so pretty... :). One is actually pairing up with a rsg x rd!! I don't know why he can't just pair up with another goldens.... oh well... ::).

But I have a dickson golden and rod's golden shaking at each other atm, so fingers crossed!!!!!!!!!! If they pair up, they will produce beautiful babies, I am sure..... So, Canadians... do you want these babies too??

ronrca
04-30-2003, 07:12 PM
Hehehe! When we Canadians get together, Australia will not have enough discus to keep us satified! LOL! ;D We will take your breeders too! :smash:

Golds you say! My wife loves solids! Hmmm! Maybe she will loan me some money! ;D

nalah
04-30-2003, 08:39 PM
well here we have it - proof.
aussie fish are better than US ones.

why else the rush for aussie discus!http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/g0/beer.gif
another one for the aussies
http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/c0/rotlaugh.gif

April
04-30-2003, 08:50 PM
Ari of course you know i want all those goldens.....lol. get them going. And tell the golden it can learn with the rsg xrd. but once its got it downpacked....stick it with one of his own kind.
Guess no fish for Smokey ever..as i heard with all that peat in his tanks....you can't possibly see the fish . hes just imagining their in there. gotta bring your own flashlight to actually see the fish. think more like a spotlight. so..no pics .we will never see those fish.. And yes..Smokey is....Rods ambassador if he insists...
Ok Pascale....yes...one for the aussies. lol. just hand over the fish is all we ask.

Smokey
05-01-2003, 12:27 AM
Pascale ... well I have tried your beer ... :cowboy: :cowboy: :cowboy: :cowboy: :cowboy: :cowboy: :cowboy: :cowboy: :cowboy: :cowboy:I perfere the discus ! :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :mickey:

Smokey

Rod
05-01-2003, 06:19 AM
Hi smokey,

Loved your description of my fish, sounds like you are really enjoying them and giving them great care:) Thanks for the kind words, it's really nice to see someone so appreciative. It's really a labour of love trying to breed a nice healthy fish ,and it's very good to see people happy from my own work.

When i first started out with discus i used peat to lower the ph in the treatment tanks, great stuff and i love the colors of discis in peat water. incidently we do have peat in the southern hemispere, most of it comes from New Zealand though, your canadian peat is legendary for discus, the great breeder Jack Wattley prefered it over other types, apparently because it is very acidic. Back then i used german peat imported by Yates and it was very good quality, about 5 liters of peat would treat 500l of tapwater to a ph of 6.0 . My ph was always stable and the fish done well in it. Then yates decided it didn't want to import it any more, and i couldn't find a suitable substitute, so i now use hydrocloric acid with acceptable results.

hi ronrca,

Yes Smokey makes a great ambassador...lol. I've been busy trying to beat your next winter before the roads close to smokey's place once again. I'll post some pics of the fry as they develop to keep you updated.

Hey Ari,

Now don't go giving all those goldens away just yet....hint hint!!! I think i need some of the babies from them...lol. Love the dicksons and crossed with those super clean goldens of yours they will be beautiful.

ronrca
05-01-2003, 02:46 PM
I would love to see pics! More pics the better! Thanks Rod! ;D And dont worry about Smokey in the winter. I'll just keep them until Smokey digs himself out! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

April
05-01-2003, 06:38 PM
Ronrca they have to go through vancouver first.... ;D ;D ;D :P :P :P

ronrca
05-01-2003, 06:42 PM
:argue: :bomb: :flame: :furious: :inquisitive: :waaa: :whip: :yikes: :spank: :banghead: :'(

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

nalah
05-01-2003, 07:13 PM
hey! no wonder us aussies are soon to be evicted from here...
the canadians are invading.http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/r/bigdance2.gif
ROFLOL

ronrca
05-01-2003, 07:19 PM
:whip: :spank:
Your outta here! LOL!
:whip: :spank:

April
05-01-2003, 07:47 PM
one more page and it gets locked by me.the big bad mod and gets archived and then.aussie aussie aussie 2!!!
otherwise the first pages are gonna get trimmed when he trims the forum .

April
05-05-2003, 12:06 AM
This continuing drama series has been so popular...due to public demand.....there is an aussie aussie aussie 2 in the works!!! Stay tuned...for the upcoming new series.!!
We hope we have some new aussies and a few wierd but wonderful canadians and americans still dropping in for guest appearances.
Please click on the aussie aussie aussie 2 thread . :wave:

BlueTurquoise
05-05-2003, 12:33 AM
Hi all!

Not sure if it is a sad occasion or a happy occasion, however it is a monumental occasion never the less!

The Aussie Aussie Aussie thread has grown so large, too large to fit on one thread!!!

It is no wonder when you check out the satistics: approx 1179 posts in total with a whopping 11267 views! Not only that this thread is by far the oldest live thread at 10 months old!!! First post was by Scott (aka the fridge) on August 20, 2002!!! ;D

On behalf of the Simply Discus team, I would like to thank all those who contributed to this obelisk of a thread! and on that note...

Due to popular demand, there is a new thread located here:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=18;action=display;threadid=9355;st art=0#lastPost

It is a sad occasion as finally we have to lock this thread incase we lose start to truncate it as it grows way too big!

As a tribute to the this old thread, please post in the new one and say Cherio to this thread... (will be archived I think, so we won't lose anything!) :'( :'( :'( such wonderful memories...

Let the new party begin! ;D ;D ;D

Oi Oi Oi!!!
Chong