PDA

View Full Version : How did you find simplydiscus?

taybelZ
08-31-2002, 08:36 AM
Just wonderin' how most of you guys discovered this board..
I remember being a member of Jedds' and then this new forum came out. Which i recall April sending me an email tellign me of this board when it just came out..

a "simply-discus" forum i recall her saying ;D

I'm sure there is other ways u found simplydisucs that aren't listed.. i couldn't think of any. But just post it, i'm interested in knowing :)

Thanks
David

ari_wh
08-31-2002, 09:12 AM
Hi :)

Definitely from April :) I met her at dph and also jedds.. and then she invited me over to check out the new forum... Great forum and great people.. absolutely LOVE it.... ;D

Regards, Ari :)

korbi_doc
08-31-2002, 09:26 AM
:bounce: :bounce: followed Carol's cookie crumbs!! Dottie :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Francisco_Borrero
08-31-2002, 10:31 AM
I received a nice e-mail inviting me to check it up. This is the embarrasing part: I thought it had been from Carol Roberts, but reading the above responses may me think that it may have been from April ? Thank you anayway.
Cheers, Francisco.

Ryan
08-31-2002, 11:15 AM
Well, I helped start the website.. and Al picked out the domain name... so does that count for anything? hehehe...

Ryan

taybelZ
08-31-2002, 11:40 AM
hehe well you guys fit under the "others" catoragory.
LOL!
So Ryan tell can you tell when this site was officially up and running?
Its a great board, with great people and excellent advice!
Couldn't of picked a better forum

Tyler
08-31-2002, 11:54 AM
I was told about simply through Dave Clubine on another forum....... I was interested in discus, but didn't know hardly anything about them. He showed me this place (it was a couple months after simply had started up) and I'm still around now!

Tyler

Ryan
08-31-2002, 12:08 PM
According to my records, we officially got everything up and running on about April 5, 2002. Is this correct, Al? The forum was a while in the making, but it wasn't actually launched until a month or so after the fact. I looked through some of our charter members and it says we registered on April 5th as well, so I think that's the date :) Has it only been almost 5 months? It seems longer than that...

Ryan

Carol_Roberts
08-31-2002, 02:49 PM
Hi DAvid:
I made the move from Jedd's via DBWS, DRP, DIP, and DAAH. I've met so many friends through the forums especially working on the DIP/DAAH lotteries. Once we started here I tried to tell everyone about it. I'm sure I e-mailed you Francisco, but April may have too.

Ryan, that's the nice thing about being somewhere comfortable - you feel like you've been there forever.

Carol:heart1:

08-31-2002, 02:56 PM
Al sent me an email the day simply discus was formed....been here ever since..................
Randy

08-31-2002, 03:01 PM
Rec'd and email from Al I think ???

bokgrasul
08-31-2002, 03:15 PM
I can't remember exactly........I guess with a search engine....Google maybe...

Fons_van_der_Hart
08-31-2002, 03:48 PM
First there was just only the DBWS forum by Raffaele Bufo.
Then came DPH by Walter Soestebergen and a few months later Let's Talk Discus by Larry Grenier.

Later on someones were not happy with the work of the moderators of these forums and started with the DIP.

After several months there were some disagreements at the DIP and a new forum (DaaH) was born.

In the mean time other websites started out with their own forum. Also Discus parts of other general aquariumforums grew out to be very succesfull. One of them was Jedd's.

Out of Jedd's this forum came.

This is the way I came here....

At this moment I've got more than 30 Discus forums listed at the linkspage of www.discusashobby.com.

Fons.

Tad
08-31-2002, 04:15 PM
I was a regular visitor to DAAH, and had some medication questions. I noticed the Brew "Al" was very educated on medications and treatments. I emailed him for some advice and Al steered me to Simply. Love it here,
Tad

Don_Lee
08-31-2002, 04:22 PM
I was lucky enough to be on bigheadjedd forum when Al, Ryan, Carol, Beth, April, and others were there. At the time I liked bigheadjedd best, mainly b/c of people like the previously named. When Al started SD he emailed me and I did not hesitate and joined right up. Sure glad that I did. I do not think there are many quality discus forums, but there are at least two more than there was 6 months or so ago. I feel really indebted to all of the members here, I feel so lucky to have such a great resource and friendly place to be. I know that I sound pretty corny, but those are honestly my feelings. ;D

Don

bmrin1
08-31-2002, 04:23 PM
I joined April 6 after an invite from Brew. This is a teriffic place to learn and hang out.
Brian

scottwheels
08-31-2002, 09:32 PM
I joined because it's the only place I could talk to my wife!!! LOL just kidding Ari! I had bad experiences on other forums (not discus) as a net-newbie that were very cliquey and so I tended to steer clear of them. I'm so glad I joined here after ari told me about it - I had no idea that a forum could be such a valuable source of information and new friends!

Cheers, Scott

April
08-31-2002, 10:11 PM
o.k....so ..... i knew brew....and knew ryan....and they didnt really know each other. ryan and brew were emailing me...and one said he wanted a good forum....and one wanted to make a whole discus website etc....and had computer know how.....so ...i told ryan to talk to brew. ;D
so ryan started showing me progress reports. i was the test dummy!! ::) got to test the new things he uploaded. Ryan....when i think of you on the other forum....i still think of that little redhead kid pic you had as your avatar! LOL.
anyhow.....brew and ryan make a great team....
i was asked to be an admin...but not sure i know how...thought id be better being the test dummy and mod.! one of these days...they might scream for help....and i might have to get to work! surely i could be trained....
think the biggest benefit of all so far being an admin....is they get their names in red! on the bottom....where it shows whos online. LOL. 8)
I consider this forum my home.,....and all my favourite people came over to share the fun and info . theres a great bunch of friends here....and many more to meet.
ok David....should be another category.
other ....or.. bread crumb trail...or somethin.

Ryan
08-31-2002, 10:29 PM
To be honest, when Jedd thought of closing his website, we sort of panicked and we weren't sure where we would go. We had a wonderful little discus family there, and none of us had the money to buy Jedd's for the price. So we bit the bullet so to speak and decided to build a site from the ground up. This was originally going to be a 'back-up' for when Jedd's eventually closed.

When he decided to keep his site open, I had already invested a month's time and effort into learning to build a forum, so Al and I decided to give it a test run and find out if people wanted a discus-only forum. At the most we expected maybe 50 - 100 people would join us and we'd be a close little family group, but you've all proven us wrong :) But I can't say we're disappointed, in fact, very much the opposite. There are wonderful people here and you guys have made me so proud... This is the first site I've ever started that people really showed strong support for, and I thank all of you.

Ryan

April
08-31-2002, 11:41 PM
Yeah thats how it was.....at first it was a handful of people signed onto a test page.Ryan had alot to learn. so he was playing with different options....and learning the forum building computer lingo. then we used it for socializing..till ryan got it done. then .....we started sending out invites!!
and my have we grown!!actually we all invited a few friends....and all of a sudden everyone started coming..so we though ok. the cats out of the bag...we better make it formal!!

09-01-2002, 12:11 AM
Hi all

I was a non poster ona few sites (not jedd.s though).
As I found a site wich I felt was a very imformative one,
Jim's Daah i was very glad. Then Jim passed away and I
did not know a site wich was (imo) that good.
After a few days I then got a e-mail from Jerry aka Yogi to
this site.
And man what a site this is.

Ronald

fcdiscus
09-01-2002, 12:34 AM
I believe it was thru Mike wells of adiscusdream. Frank

April
09-01-2002, 12:40 AM
Yes.... Mike sent alot of people here!! ;D

Smokey
09-01-2002, 03:13 AM
Howdy;

April threatened to break my legs if I didn't!!!!!!!!

Smokey

SLY
09-01-2002, 07:19 AM
I want a place to talk discus without Politics and Al has proven to many that this will be the place..the rest as they say is history.

taybelZ
09-01-2002, 09:22 AM
LOL @ Smokey.
Really... funny that. Thats what she told me as well. ::)
hahaha!

Well this forum sure is great. I feel so close to everyone here.. and its been only 5 months Ryan tells me.. geez i fill like i been here for life! ;D

38 votes but read 272 times.
Come out and tell us where you came from and how you found this place !!! hehe
I'm interested!

jeep
09-01-2002, 10:21 AM
I was just surfin' for discus...

brewmaster15
09-01-2002, 11:52 AM
I found this site by being in the right place at the right time! ;D or was it wrong place at the right time? Oh well doesn't matter. We found it all the same.!!!

Everything Ryan(the webmaster) and April (the head of Human resources) wrote is 100 % true, and it does seem a lot longer than a few short months. This site has really grown in leaps and bounds and I couldn't be more pleased with members that have come to call this place home. Many of us have become great friends as well as forum aquaintences, something that I think is truly a wonderful thing

When we first started this site I think I emailed out to all my former forum friends, and others that I thought would like this site. Our great moderators did the same , and a we had a modest group of posters . Word of mouth spread , and the breeders like Mike Wells and Cary Strong , starting sending people to us.We regisitered with search engines as well.

We also spoke with Larry Grenier of the Discus Resource Page , and John Nicholson of the Discus as a Hobby forum, and suggested we link to each others sites since sooner or latter everyone finds all the discus sites anyways! ;D That is why you see a banner for their sites on the bottom of this page.

The rest is history, and though I am absolutely thrilled with the past history of this site I am really looking forward to the things to come!

Take care all,
al
The guy that "SIMPLY" wanted a site for "DISCUS" ;) ;D

April
09-01-2002, 12:22 PM
Brew....oh...so thats my title! Sounds better than "test dummy" LOL.
O,K, I would just like to say no legs to this date have been broken! ;D
Just keep on posting. ::) :thumbsup: :whip:

tango0806
09-01-2002, 03:48 PM
I was visiting another fish link and someone there posted a link to Simplydiscus. I came in for a visit liked what I was reading, the people seemed helpful and friendly. I decided to stick around, glad I did ;D I wish I had know about sites like this 8 years ago when I first started keeping Discus it would have been a great help!

John & Kathy G

DenverDan
09-01-2002, 05:34 PM
I was looking to buy great discus, found this site by going trough Cary at Great Lakes Discus. What you mean there other Discus forums?!? Don't want to know about them. ;D

Dan

Randy_B
09-03-2002, 07:33 AM
Can't remember but glad I did ;D ;D ;D

DarkDiscus
09-03-2002, 12:33 PM
Al said, 'Hey buddy, we're starting a new site.' I moved.

That's it!

John

Wahter
09-03-2002, 12:50 PM
April kept harassing me about some new board she was in on and that I should put some posts in the plants section! hahah! Well... maybe not 'harassing'; just threatening!!! just kidding! (Although she DID keep mentioning the board everytime we chatted on-line).

Walter

Surfghost63
09-03-2002, 01:53 PM
Hi Wahter and Forum !

I don't remember how , but lurking for sure, and I'm very happy with it

:bounce: :bounce2: :bounce::guitarist::drummer:

Take Care,

Bill

gump
09-03-2002, 02:15 PM
E-Mail from Al.... Never looked back...
Pierre

RealFish
09-03-2002, 05:39 PM
Larry Greniers site. Had always went there for the buy sell trade. Finally figured out at some point he gave up his board and just linked to this.

09-04-2002, 12:42 AM
I registered on Jedd's but never posted. One day, while lurking, I think I may have seen the Simply banner or someone make mention to it. Love it here! Have learned tons and everyone is fantastic! Thanks for a great site.!

Julz

Smokey
09-09-2002, 03:32 AM
I was a member of Dph for years and suddenly in a blinding light...and a flury of fingers there was April....yES iT WAS aPRIL WHO BADGERED ME ; and I am glad she did...The main thing I like about this board, the members are easy to relate to and share expierences ... very helpful advice...
NOW, WHERE DID i LEAVE THOSE DAMN CRUCTHES.. APRIL !!!!

Smokey

mench
09-09-2002, 06:18 AM
I was on all the other boards,like many of us Discus "nuts" and was talking to Al via e-mail.So Al says one day.....Shhhhhhhhhh don't tell anyone yet but we are thinking of starting our own Discus board......so as soon as he had the test site going,there I was....great board,great people,and quite a few that I am glad to call my friends..just wish that we were closer in locals so we could visit in person...so it is fun to go on vacation and see if the vacation spot is close to any discus people to visit...something the bride is still not sure if it is a good thing or not...every time I visit another discus person I seem to aquire more fish...himmmmmmm funny how that works...

Simply Discus.....Simply a great site....

Mench

Rikk
09-09-2002, 04:10 PM
i heard of this on the dutch chat - discus hans told me
i asked him where all the people are which are on line but never answer. Same over here, April, youre always there but i think answering other questions or eadng here. :sleep:

checked it out and saw a lot more people who loved discus

Discus shows however will be difficult too visit
but, weŽll keep on hoping

Hope too learn and help myself and others :
( or should i turn those two around ? )

April
09-09-2002, 04:23 PM
HI Rik. sorry...i do keep missing you on chat...one of these days...im usually there in the evenings.....but your long in bed i think! morning.yes im sleeping...but do get up from time to time...and then off to work.
i changed my name to
April_bot. : )))
im there......but not always reading or replying....sometimes moderating.....or doing water changes!!

limige
09-09-2002, 08:20 PM
well i was searching for info on discus when a search engine brought up great lakes discus!!!!

then i found out i live within 1/2 hour from one of the greatest discus breeders around, took quite some time to realize what cary had going!

anyway, a year later i started visiting cary's forum at GLD and then they closed it and everyone moved here!!! so it was through cary's forum that i found simply discus!!!

and here i thought this site was around for ages!! lol, i guess i found it not too long after it started!! wow, who'd a thunk it!

Rikk
09-09-2002, 10:29 PM
one day we will meet

mikeos
09-10-2002, 03:05 PM
How did I find SD? awesome ;D great :funny: the best :wave:

mike ;D

amirnezhad
02-26-2003, 06:55 PM
I was searching the net to find out more information about Discas and I found this realy good site in Google (http://www.Google.com (http://www.Google.com)))

BLUEKNIGHT
03-01-2003, 02:10 PM
I just made a move from jedd. I wasnt into discus back then mainly into south american and west african dwarfs and some rarer strains of angels and guppies.