PDA

View Full Version : Worms as food ?

Rikk
09-09-2002, 02:50 PM
I sometimes give my discus live normal worms as additional food. A few of the fish love it and fight over it and some never tough them. What is left over is eaten by the biotodoma´s cupido.

In real life they should get used too it but after 2 months everything stays the same. Does anyone has experience in feeding normal worms ?

Some people tell me that it also can be bad for the fish
What is true ?

aloha_discus
09-09-2002, 08:40 PM
Aloha, hey Rik I use red wrigglers they are available through mreeds.com. My discus fish fight over every morsel. They are the perfect size for juveniles and adults and are high in protein which promotes good growth and stimulates discus pairs to spawn. As far as I know the worms are cultivated for aquarium use and shuold not harm any of your fish. So far the poll shows that worms are a plus.

Aloha Ike ;D

allan_mark76
09-16-2002, 06:37 PM
Dutch Rik you just want to be very careful where you get your wigglers. I don't recrommend you getting them out of your yard as they may contain some form of pesticide. I would just advise buying from reputable LFS.

BTW I use red worms as they are the perfect size and my discus seem to love them to death.......

A-

09-16-2002, 07:45 PM
i just placed an order for 5 pounds of red wrigglers today....i'm gonna start up some worm bins and hopefully it'll be a constantly renewing food source if i don't go overboard feeding them....it took me a while to decide...i was worried about smell, but there isn't any...and my all-too-brief source of CBW's dried up, so i'm gonna give it a shot... :thumbsup:

majesticman
09-18-2002, 02:58 PM
All worms (live) are consumed by Discus, earthe, tubifex, black, etc... Periodic treatments with Quick Cure will help control/eliminate parasitic problems with these foods..
A broad and varied diet is always best for over all condition and well being.
Nice things about worms is they can be kept or cultured for regular feedings..
Wise to put earthworms in water for about 1/2 hour to hour to flush the intestines....
Larger worms can be chopped and are just as effective.
Best regards,
Bruce@MajesticAquatic.com

hunterbeav
10-28-2002, 10:31 AM
Wow wounder who the no vote was lol !!!!!!! :) any guesses :)

Tin Pusher
12-11-2002, 02:56 AM
fact #1 my fish love chopped up earth worms.
fact #2 an earth worm cut into pieces small enough that my fish love to eat looks exactly like a discus egg including the eye (OK a hair larger)
fact #3 my pair are notorious egg eater
theory #1 you figure it out ;)lol

Michael
12-11-2002, 09:52 PM
I feed my discus with variety of live food, Artemia, Daphnia, Black worms, Tubifex, Drosophila, Mosquito larvae...I notice they Growth faster when i use worms and they love it! :lickin:

peety
12-15-2002, 05:12 PM
If ya freeze ya worms into blocks you can then just use a grater to add them to the tank. No chopping and only the required amount gets used ;)

peety

12-15-2002, 07:15 PM
Dan's CBWs = nice big, fat Fishies.... :thumbsup:

Discusgeo
12-15-2002, 08:25 PM
Hey Aloha_Discus try wormman.com for your Red Wigglers it's where I get mine and it's a whole lot cheaper than where your getting them now.
www.wormman.com/redworms.htm (http://www.wormman.com/redworms.htm)

jim
12-15-2002, 10:14 PM
i have been feeding live tubifex worms to my fish for aout a year now with no problems. i just keep them in a deep plastic container in a sink in the garage. i keep a slow drip running and leave them in there for a couple of days to flush their bellies before i start feeding them to the fish.

i once got tired of buying them and picked some night crawlers from the back yard, chopped them up and fed them to my fish. had an immediate outbreak of ICH. never tried that again.