PDA

View Full Version : Swimming mates in the amazone

Rikk
09-20-2002, 06:29 PM
what kind of other fish do we catch in our nets when we are hunting for discus ?

In the future i want too start my own little shop in amazone fish. So a little discus but also there natural friends / enemies

What would be nice too start with or are so beautifull I must have them. I am thinking in discus & mouthbreeders and what i find interesting on the net / in life

give me some idea´s but please no too big of fish !!
it should stay a small hobby shop !!!
( that is what i tell my wife ) ;)

Serpae
09-20-2002, 06:56 PM
NICE TRY..........small shop stocking Amazon species, your wife is going to feed you to the Pacu's by the time you start stocking your tank's, lol. You should start looking for that double shop frontage now. hehehehehe ;D

Good luck for when you get started!

Rikk
09-21-2002, 01:50 PM
as long as i don´t have piranas theat should not be a big problem !! ;D (LOL)

ChloroPhil
11-26-2002, 05:24 PM
If I were setting up a shop like this I'd stick with:

1. Angels~ P. scalare and P. altum
2. Apistogrammas
3. Discus
4. Rams~ Standard Blue and Bolivian
5. Tetras~ Cardinal, Neon, Emperor, Serpae, Rummynose, and Bleeding Heart.
6. Oscars
7. Festivum
8. Ottocinclus
9. L. numbers (Pl*cos)
10. Corydoras spp.

I'd stay away from Piranhas, Pacus, Silver Dollars and the like.

Rikk
11-27-2002, 05:26 PM
sounds good

should be pretty much the idea

Ralph
11-27-2002, 10:47 PM
How about uarus and oscars, not discus tankmates but interesting amazon fish.
Oh, and some silver hatchets too.

Francisco_Borrero
12-12-2002, 01:21 PM
I don't know this first-hand, but I have read that festivum (Cychlasoma festivum) and severum (C.severum) are both found along with discus at some locations. So do some silver hatchets (Gasteropelecus sp.), and threadfin hatchets (Triphorteus elongatus). At yet other locations, piranha seem to cause a lot of damage to discus, so apparently they are at some locations.
I would not keep piranhas or severums with discus. Festivum perhaps if it was a very large tank (10 foot) with lots of wooden pieces.

bottle-blonde
01-03-2003, 08:52 PM
by the looks of the amano pictures in the biotope and show tank section

black neons
cardinals
congo tetras
altums (they're mean and more fragile than discus though)
festivums

how nice would a tank with congos and discus be though? that would be a vibrant tank!

skylsdale
01-06-2003, 02:59 PM
congo tetras

I wasn't aware that they had left the African continent and migrated to the Amazon. ???

roger
01-09-2003, 04:21 PM
I believe that you can add pencil fish and a large number of cory cats. I was suprised that some of the cory cats have some nice color. Im used to the standard bronze, green or black and white colors.

Peace,
Roger