PDA

View Full Version : Donations and site Directions.....

brewmaster15
10-05-2002, 07:23 AM
Hi everyone!

Before I get into this post I want to thank all of you again for your participation on this board. Together I think we have created a truly great resource for Discus hobbysists and breeders around the world. I am still amazed by how fast we have grown in the 6 short months we have been in existence!

I wanted to give you all a little history on the site and some ideas as to our future directions. When this site was first started it was made possible by the generous free use of server space given to us by Ryan’s friend Charles. Ryan set up a template for a forum using free software and a small core group of us starting using this forum. We registered with search engines, word of mouth , emails to various people, and mutual collaborations with other like minded sites, and our membership soared. We have gone thru several software updates and are currently in the process of testing a new board software for the site.

Our rapid growth though was also a strain on the resources of the server we were using , and was having a negative impact on the other sites hosted by that server. It was time for us to find another hosting service, but as a site we use a large amount of bandwidth and it would have been very expensive for us to pay for this kind of service. Ryan and I came to the conclusion that we would be far better off owning our server, and so that is just what we did. Simply Discus is now hosted by its own server. This was not an inexpensive venture by any means, but there are many benefits to it .

The most immediate benefit is that we have the ability to offer our members webpage hosting, complete with emails, large file storage all at a reasonable price. In many cases we should be able to save you money compared to what you may now pay. Commercial breeders and suppliers are also welcome and we will try to work with any body that is interested in these services. It is our hopes that this will offset the cost of acquiring our own server, and may provide additional money for contest prizes and shipping, while at the same time being of a benefit to Simply Discus members. Contact either myself or Ryan if you are interested.

Other ways we will be trying to recoup the cost of our server is thru activating the donation link above. Any gifts to the site will be greatly appreciated. We will also be offering T-shirts ( with the generous help of Gipper) and other neat stuff for sale. I am also considering auctions of fish from breeders donations ( some my fish included).

Where is this site going? Up and Up and Up, The skys the limit! . We are working on new web page layout, with permanent archiving of information. There are also many commercial sites showing a strong interest in us , and we’ll be working with them as well. We hope to see our site become more involved in supporting the formation of regional clubs, and possibly we can host sites for those clubs and associations on our server to bring down their membership costs.

Where are we not going…Pop-up advertisements and floating banners will never be on this site. Nor will there ever be a membership fee for this site. This site was created out of love and admiration for Discus, and its sole purpose is to continue helping hobbyist better their knowledge of this fish, and meet some great people along the way. This site was never about Money and never will.

Thanks,
Al and Ryan

Jeffery_Doty
10-05-2002, 08:35 AM
Thank you both for the update.

You both deserve a big THANK YOU, for all the time and energy, not to mention money, that you have invested in this forum to make it the best available for everyone to enjoy. I feel good about being able to help out by donating to Simply, it is the best bargain around!

Thanks friends!

Jeff
Oregon

dm
10-05-2002, 08:38 AM
I haven't been much of a part of this site but it sure has helped me to learn how to properly care for my Discus. I am very appreciative of everyone here that has helped me especially the people who started this forum. It is of great benefit to those of us trying to learn how to properly care for Discus. Without this forum I know it would have been a lot more painful and time consuming getting to the point I am at now. You bet I will be helping to give back a little to help out. You are all great here. Thanks!

10-05-2002, 08:53 AM
Al/Ryan: Good work. How Do I write my cheque? Does Simply has it's own account? Being an old dog. I don't use paypal. Hard to learn new tricks.

Jimmy.

Discusgeo
10-05-2002, 09:43 AM
I am with Jimmy, only I dumped Paypal when I found out they were giving out members information. So tell me where to send a Money Order and I will send it out. Keep up the good work Brew and Ryan.
George

Dennis_Hardenburge
10-05-2002, 11:03 AM
I don't post very often as I feel most questions are answered with out me putting in my two cents worth. But I do read the forum almost every day.
If some thing like this had been around in the 60s it wouldn't have taken me almost four years to have a sucessful spawn.
The moderators do a great job.
Thank you.
Please post where I can mail a check to help.
Dennis

bmrin1
10-05-2002, 11:25 AM
Al & Ryan,
Great work, I and I am sure that all of us appreciate all of the hard work and effort you guys put into this site. It may have some critics but this is the best site of it's kind.
Thank you
Brian

Ryan
10-05-2002, 11:32 AM
Hi guys,

At the top of the forum there's a http://forum.simplydiscus.com//YaBBImages/donate.gif link. If you click on this, and scroll down past the PayPal logo, you will see the address to mail checks and money orders to. They can be made out to Al.

Thanks for everyone's support. This new server great, but it's not free. I hope some people get interested in web hosting. We're not interested in making money, but it'd be nice to break even :)

Ryan

10-05-2002, 12:17 PM
Simply Discus saved me from the wrath of the LFS!!!!! ;D

Pick
10-05-2002, 11:33 PM
Thanks for everything guys. You have made it onto my Christmas gift list.

TC

troy
10-06-2002, 04:21 AM
Brew & Ryan

I give my thanks to both of you for this excellent site.
I have learned a great deal of Knowledge here at simply and i am sure many others have too.
One of my checks will be coming your way soon . ;)

Troy

brewmaster15
10-06-2002, 10:41 AM
Hi everyone!!!

Thanks for the support everyone! Its greatly appreciated by us.

I am glad that this site is doing what it set out to do, and I'm really glad that you are all here and part of it.

Take care,
al

10-06-2002, 03:55 PM
Hey Brew!
Let Me know what I can Do to Help! Just Say the word!
and its done!
TakeCare
Cary Still No baby Yet! LOL!

April
10-06-2002, 04:12 PM
Cary. theres a baby....you just dont get to hold it yet. ;D

Don_Lee
10-06-2002, 08:14 PM
I would just add my two cents that Al and Ryan, or Ryan and Al, lol, have really done a great thing here. For now, my support is limited to only words, but I will committ to changing this in the near future. In the meantime, THANKS AL AND RYAN!

Don

10-07-2002, 01:50 AM
Boy...........a good place to start with expressing appreciation!

This forum is truely the best.

I too am here for you as you have been for me.
Checks in the mail! (no...... really..... truely.....it is!)

Many Thanks!!!!

Julz

roclement
10-07-2002, 07:19 PM
guys...i can't begin to thank you for this forum, I have started with this Hobby in the beggining of this year and am now a proud owner of 14 discus including one pair!

All of this while only losing one fish!!! Had it not been for you guys I would never have had success in this venture, and would probably have dropped it a while ago...

Anyway...I am interested in starting my web site, mainly focused on Discus and other general areas, I need help with hosting, as well as developing it, whana give it a shot? Send me some info!

Thanks again! Rodrigo Clement

beta
10-07-2002, 10:09 PM
You guys r doing a great job! Keep it up!

dm
10-09-2002, 09:59 PM
How do we know if you recieved the PayPal payment?

brewmaster15
10-10-2002, 09:00 AM
Hi DM
I send you an email with our sincerest gratitudes! :) been trying to get an email out to 4 people though and it keeps getting sent back as undeliverable >:( :-\

You are One of them!!!!! I just sent you an Instant message . Thanks!!!!

-al

DarkDiscus
10-10-2002, 09:22 AM
Al,

How about we keep a running tab on total donations so folks can see how we are doing?

John

brewmaster15
10-10-2002, 09:32 AM
Hi John,
I thought about that but I'd rather not post it at this time. I really don't want to make a big deal about this. Tallies may put pressure on people and I want to avoid that. We really Just wanted people to know they can donate if they want to and any amount is greatly appreciated. Ryan and I will continue to fund this site out of pocket irregardless of donations. The whole donation thing is a little hard for me to get used to , and I really wasn't too keen on it. the more low key the better.
thanks for the idea though :)

-al

DarkDiscus
10-10-2002, 09:39 AM
Al,

I know it stresses you out to have to take money for something that you do for love of the hobby!

I definitely think that the lottery plan works nicely, as that way people can get back for their donations as well.

Thanks for all the hard work!

John

ronrca
10-10-2002, 06:03 PM
I also want to express my thanks to Al and Ryan! This site is great! No, let me re-phase that! This site is the best! I have really learned a lot from this site. It actually wasnt until I found this site that I really got addicted to discus. Of course the beautiful pics from hobbyists and breeders did it plus the undying love and enthusiasm for this beautiful creature. Thank you, thank you, thank you so much! Ive attached a million dollars (thats US dollars)! See below!! ;D :-*

brewmaster15
10-11-2002, 11:16 AM
ronrca,
That means a lot to us. Thanks! :) :)

seriously though, do you have any idea how many discus that will buy not to mention tanks and heck a whole new state of the Art hatchery and research center. Might even buy some Amazon basin tributary!

Anyone know Bill Gates? I need to get him addicted to discus. :)

-al

ronrca
10-11-2002, 11:35 AM
ROFLOL!!!! :funny:

Well, in that case, here's another! :D

I hear you about Bill Gates! Man, he could buy everyone on this site a setup for a fishroom plus stock it will world class winners! Hmmmm! Lets see if I have his e-mail address! I guess you could always arrange for Bill to visit one of the breeders! ;D

trusty
11-01-2003, 11:10 PM
I can hold off buying a discus or 2 and send a contribution to simply. What can i say simply is the best enough said thanks ;D

Jeff
12-09-2003, 05:49 PM
That's great Carlos. We all use Simply a little from all the regulars can really help to make this place even better. ;D