PDA

View Full Version : Help with white spots!!Plz

korbi_doc
10-06-2002, 09:06 PM
:bounce: Ok, finally have run into a problem with the 90g with 8 discus & 4 cories, all have been in tank for 10+months A small gold discus came up with 1 discrete raised white spot on the side, then upon closer inspec found several on a BSS. Probably a parasite, & yes the gold is being picked on & chased, actually by the SS, & the gold fights back. Parameters are ok, NH3, nit, zero, NO4 between 5-10. Temp @ 86-87* Water is very soft, Gh-3, Kh-2. Substrate is barely pebbled. W/C have been alternate days 'bout 20-25%. Using a wet/dry trickle filter, fluidized filter, 2 sponge filters & 1 airstone, & UV. No plants yet, & nothing added to this tank.
When I put meds in this tank, I do have to include the water in the wet/dry, yes, correct? Have read previous post about "pimples" & this looks to be same problem. Ideas?? How careful do I have to be with salt with cories in the tank? what I have read is confusing & controversial, as are most problems. Tia, Dottie :'( :'(

korbi_doc
10-06-2002, 09:09 PM
:bounce: Hope here's the SS. see some even on the tail

breed_beyond
10-06-2002, 09:30 PM
I can't really help with the problem or maybe I can a little bit. If you treat with salt you will need to take the cories out, or they won't live long. But to start I would add one tablespoon salt per gallon and raise the heat to 90 try that and replace the right amount of salt with the water changes. Try that and see if they are getting better in 3-4 days.

Carol_Roberts
10-07-2002, 12:18 AM
Dottie - this looks different than the pimples ???
Carol :heart1:

fcdiscus
10-07-2002, 12:28 AM
It is probably a parasitic problem. You may need to change the bulb in your UV. They only work for so long, and with your schedule of WC and keeping the tank, I cannot figure any other problem that should arise. Heat and salt should work, but will be very tough on the cats. How old is that UV bulb? Frank

brewmaster15
10-07-2002, 03:48 PM
Hi dottie,
The raised scale could be from a little in house fight?Parasites that would cause this (worms?) may not be effected by salt.

Do you have fluke tabs?

also on the bSS I think this is different from the gold. A parasite that would lift the scales on one fish (worms maybe) would not be found on the tail of the fish. This may be a water quality issue, or perhaps a small fungus?virus?

My first suggestion would be to try upping the wc to 50% and thoroughly clean the tank. watch for aggression, and if can have fluketabs(fish number1), and Furan2(fish number2-if its fungal, viral it'll go on its own)

Hth,
al

ps if you see more of the same post it!

korbi_doc
10-07-2002, 05:50 PM
:bounce2: :bounce2: hi everyone, thanks for the replies. Yes, it must be different Carol, & last night, I had a Fish-vet product, Ecolibrium FW, primarily for freeswimming parasites in fw & very fish-safe. Added the 1st dose, & today they seem improved (spots ie, the fish do not show any clinical signs themselves). The gold's spot is diminished. All are less dramatic, of course, this could have happened anyway. The tank had just gone thru a major clean, Al, & looks nice & clear, everyone eating but definitely lots of proprietary nonsense going on. These are my oldest crew, perhaps this territorial display is normal at this age (11 - 14 mos).
Frank, the UV bulb has been in use a total of 6mos. Guess I better order another soon. I may be able to get fluketabs at lfs, or order later. I have Clout if necessary. Otherwise, I'll take a wait stance, for this week. Hope they're better soon, have to leave everyone for 9 days on the 11th.. That is my next challenge. lol, thanks all, Dottie :-\ :-\

EthanCote.com
11-11-2002, 05:33 PM
Hi Dottie,

I'm curious as to the current state of the dots...have they completely disappeared or have they re-appear from time to time.

My discus have one or two of those white dots on their fins for several weeks now, I have tried the salt treatment but did not seem to make it go away.

So I'm curious as to your treatment method (ie. are u still using the, Ecolibrium FW)?

Thanx.

Cheers,

Chi.

korbi_doc
11-11-2002, 07:20 PM
:bounce2: :bounce2: Hi Chi, yes the spots are completely gone. As you read in that thread, I was short on time, & worried 'bout leaving the fish for 9 days with non-fish caretakers. I did see much improvement over that week, so I added the 2nd dose on day 4 after large w/c. That was when I had to leave, but the spots were on the run. After preparing clean filters, adding Zeolite to help with NH3, I left knowing I had done as much as I could, but there was much improvement to be seen. I have not had a return of the problem, & they only got 2 doses, cuz I was afraid for someone else to put meds in, even tho I always use special measuring cups even for the food. I would not be afraid to use the Eco Fw for any suspected parasite problem, & there were cories in there who did fine too.(many do say they treat the cories with salt & do Ok, others tell us we will lose them) As others say, it may not be necessary to medicate, & I appreciate that they should be used only when necessary, but I felt that I could not take a chance that this could have gotten away from me. They are all fine today, thank goodness, lol, Dottie ;D ;D ;D