PDA

View Full Version : White feces always visit me!!!

Preeda_Lim
10-13-2002, 09:21 PM
Hi all,

A very boring problem for me, i treated my fish with Metro. after quite sure that they got Hex then i treated them 1 week.
However problem gone, my fish came back to eat well, black feces no sign of any Hex...Anyway it come again after 2 weeks, so should i treat my fish periodically which i don't want to do that. >:(

welcome every suggestions and comments,
Preeda

Discusgeo
10-13-2002, 10:34 PM
Preeda_Lim

The internal form of Hexamita are flagellated protozoans found in the gastrointestinal tract of a wide variety of fishes. They frequently infect discus.

Spironucleus may be a distinct organism from Hexamita, as it is longer and possibly more sinuous, but for practical purposes, both organisms appear to cause similar clinical responses. These parasites are very motile. The flagella are usually not easily seen. Many times infections are not apparent. In angelfish, discus and gouramis, the disease is characterized by poor condition, weight loss and death. The fish may also show excessive nervousness, turn dark in color, and hide in the aquarium.

Again, Metronidazole is the drug of choice for this disease. Use 1 teaspoon per pound of food (frozen food is preferred). Thaw the food and mix the Metronidazole into it. Return the food to the freezer, and once frozen you are ready to start the treatment. Feed it to the fish once a day for a minimum of ten days. Do not feed the fish any other foods during this treatment. The treatment may take longer according to the condition of the fish, and the severity of the disease.

George

Preeda_Lim
10-14-2002, 12:31 AM
Hi

If they don't eat, i have to mix Met. in water for 3-5 days..but white feces come again after 2 weeks. So do i need to treat them for 2 weeks? ???

Preeda

10-14-2002, 01:10 AM
Great Post Geo!

Preeda_Lim Hi'

first What are You feeding? What is Your water temp?
Also Your w/c s Daily that are done.

How about parmeters ph, gh, trite, trate, Amo ?

Is this only a discus Tank? what size tank and discus? How many Discus or other types in this tank?

long term treatment with Metro at High doses can Cause liver damage! IMO 4 days in water is max. After that a follow up in feed is best!
Just some thoughts!

HTH Keep us posted!
Cary Gld!

Preeda_Lim
10-14-2002, 02:34 AM
Cary, Geo

PH = 7.0 GH 3.0-4.0 vary, w/c 100% a day No trate, trite, amo, temp = 28-30 c, B/H,
Feeding:B/H, Frozen Blood worm, Shrimp

Only discus in my tank 17 of 3 inch in 40 Gallons.

I treated Met. for the whole tank 2 weeks ago, though Hex. are visiting my tank again but not with the same fish...so i probably treat it once again for 4 days and follow up with feeding food mix ??? ???

Ardan
10-14-2002, 06:02 AM
Hi Preeda Lim,
Do you have gravel? Gravel can trap parasites and the fish reingest the parasite from eating off the bottom.
Clean inside of tank often and wc every day help.
What temp is tank?

Ardan

brewmaster15
10-14-2002, 11:42 AM
Great advice from everyone Preeda..
You may want to read this ...

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=4;action=display;threadid=1058

also...

I am wondering if what you have is Hex? If you treated the whole tank , and the meds cured one fish , it would have wiped out hex in the less infected fish as well..

Can you describe the symptoms that led you to believe it was hexamita?

also do you access to antibiotics like erythromycin or kanacyn?

hth,
al

Preeda_Lim
10-14-2002, 08:57 PM
Hi all, thank you so much for your help ;)

No..mine is bare bottom tank.
Symtoms are like, they just stop eating for the first 1-2 day but still have black feces, then afterthat clear and stringy white feces come so i decide to use Met.
No bloating, no color change yet

I can't find Kanacyn here, but not sure about erythromycyn.
Al, Do you think it's not Hex? What do you suspect? Because I'm also curious sometimes when some of my fish stop eating with out any signs of sickness, no white fece, no bloating, i'm not sure there are any warning of mixing between 2 or more diseases

Preeda

brewmaster15
10-15-2002, 11:47 PM
HI preeda,
The clear feces can also others intestinal parasites like worms. Metro has little effect on these. I was just wondering if the metro never really worked and the what you are seeing is the result of intestinal worms. Have you ever de-wormed and if so with what?

My other thought was bacterial probelm. which is why I asked about antibiotics.

when you treated with metro how did you use it?what dose? and for how long?

-al

Preeda_Lim
10-16-2002, 03:49 AM
Hi Al,

No.. i've never deworm with any med. but i can get Prazi, mbendazole. panacur

i'd treated Metro 2-3 weeks ago, i treated for 4-5 days(250 Mg/ 10 Gall) and the sick fish recovered from white feces and started eating as normal, this time white feces come back to new fish in the same tank. I'm just wondering why it happens to only beautiful fishes in my tank though the runts never got any problems..lol :D

Preeda

brewmaster15
10-16-2002, 09:02 AM
Hi Preeda,
You may want to consider trying to deworm. I'm not sure its what you have but it could be. From the meds you listed my choice would be panacur added to the food. Its easy to make andeffective against a broad spectrum of worms.

the way I would use it is here...

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=4;action=display;threadid=1138

hth,
al

Preeda_Lim
10-17-2002, 10:44 PM
Hi Al, everyone

I just need a tip or how you mix medicine to bloodworm? I remember it was posted somewhere but i can't find. So a link or tip would be very appreciate ;D

Preeda

brewmaster15
10-18-2002, 07:40 AM
Hi preeda,
It works best in that gel food, because you get a more accurate dose. You can try Thawing and soaking the blood worms for about 15-30 minutes in the panacur. Soem will get into them, but the amount of meds that get into the fish is hard to measure. If you have to use blood worms than still use the gel food recipe and just substitute blood worms in it.
hth,
al

Preeda_Lim
10-20-2002, 09:01 PM
OK..Thank you ;D

Preeda

susankay1
10-07-2003, 04:30 PM
Hi Al, everyone

I just need a tip or how you mix medicine to bloodworm? I remember it was posted somewhere but i can't find. So a link or tip would be very appreciate ;D

Preeda

Al, please repost this recipe for panacur. Thanks

Ardan
10-07-2003, 05:49 PM
http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=10;action=display;threadid=1138
this is AL's Panacur thread
hth