PDA

View Full Version : Midwest Discus Club Meeting - 3rd Announcement

Willie
10-27-2002, 12:12 PM
The next meeting of the Midwest Discus Club will be held on Friday, November 8, 7:30 - 9:30 pm. We'll meet at Linda's place at 2580 Mendota Heights, MN. The discussion topic is Raising and Breeding Wild Discus. If you have ever wondered about keeping and even spawning wild caught discus, this would be a great place to find out. If you've done it before, come to the meeting and tell us how.

To make it even more interesting, Pat Meuret has kindly agreed to donate an adult Nhumunda Blue as a door prize. Come on time if you want to participate in the raffle.

Linda will provide beverages for the meeting. The cost of entry is bringing some snacks to share.

The Midwest Discus Club meets informally on a quarterly basis. Our motto is

No dues, no by-laws, no stinkin' badges.

Willie

Denny
10-27-2002, 12:28 PM
i am planning on being there, but i need to be up at 5:00 am the next morning to try to reduce the local deer population so we'll see what happens. pray for rain. i will be at the vikings/packers game the next weekend. the way the season is going my wife will be the happy one with the packers shirt and i will be the one with the tie-dye and the tear in my beer ;D

hope to see you all

denny

rsawest
10-27-2002, 12:34 PM
Hello,

This is your meeting hostess. Like Willie, I just wanted encourage all the Twin Cities area discus nuts to attend.

If you need directions to my house, please feel free to IM or e-mail me at loi8580@attbi.com. I'm in Mendota Heights, near 35E and 494.

Linda

Al_M.
10-27-2002, 11:36 PM
Linda & Willie
I'll be there, looking forward to seeing your discus and talking to everyone.
Anyone else from Simply gonna make it?

Al M.

10-28-2002, 09:23 AM
Both Weezy and I will be there. Looking forward to it......!!!!!!!!
I'll be in touch for directions Linda....

Julz

Willie
11-06-2002, 11:16 PM
Don't forget, its this Friday! :bounce2::bounce2::bounce2::bounce2::bounce2::boun ce2::bounce2::bounce2::bounce2::bounce2::bounce2:

Willie

April
11-06-2002, 11:34 PM
waaaaaaaaaaaaaaa i wanna come.!!!!
ask pat if he can get me some manacapuras?

11-06-2002, 11:49 PM
Am planning on attending, but not sure where I am goin.

Linda could you PM me your address?

Pril... hmmmm One would think the suitcase disguise would also work for a Minnesota trip...

Julz

April
11-07-2002, 12:00 AM
LOL JUlz..just my luck the suitcase will be picked up by the wrong person.and end up somewhere else..like south pole.
or a comacazee(sp.)
guy .
or get caught up in a kidnap deal.
leave the suitcase under the old stump....at 3:00 p.m.there'd i sit.

11-07-2002, 12:21 AM
Oh but Pril.. no fear.... I would save you... got that covered with a homing device... lol.......... how bout that! a beeper and a blinker on your (hmmm best be good). :o lol

Julz

11-07-2002, 01:16 PM
Hey all you Midwesterners.
I too will be bringing a door prize, but is a surprise.. he he ;)

See u all on Friday.

Julz

rsawest
11-07-2002, 07:04 PM
Hey April,

I've got a spare bedroom, you're welcome to stay! :D

Linda aka Rsawest

Willie
11-09-2002, 09:13 AM
Thanks to the moderators for making this a sticky thread. The meeting last night was a huge success. We had 18 people show up to talk discus. Lots of pictures were taken and others will be posting as well. We also took lots of goodies home, thanks to Julz.

I take lousy pictures, but she's the lovely lady on the right. Next to her is Al M. On the left, Weezy is pounding down the brewski, while everyone else enjoys Linda's fish. ;)

Willie

Willie
11-09-2002, 09:17 AM
We had a couple of new faces to the discus group show up. Here's Al M. with the cap holding court with some fresh blood. D.J. is on the right in profile. Lauris, on the left, won the raffle for Pat Meuret's Nhumunda Blue. Man, do I take lousy pictures or what!

Willie

Willie
11-09-2002, 09:21 AM
Here's Paul Methven of St. Croix Discus. For most people in the Twin Cities area, our first discus came from Paul -- either from the LFS or directly from his hatchery. Our next meeting in February or March will be at Paul's hatchery.

Willie

Willie
11-09-2002, 09:24 AM
Here's one of Linda's pairs. Darn fish won't stay together for a portraiture!

Willie

Willie
11-09-2002, 09:25 AM
Some of the stuff Linda is growing out.

Willie

Willie
11-09-2002, 09:28 AM
Here's Weezy (right) pounding down the food, but the Corona is always within reach! :D :D :D :D

Willie

Al_M.
11-09-2002, 01:14 PM
Way to go Willie
Your awful fast on the posts, I was wondering who that Tall goofy guy in the hat was, but it was me.
Great night, good fun can't wait to do it again.
Julz, where are you pics.
Take Care
Al M.

11-09-2002, 01:21 PM
I want to personally thank Linda for hosting such a great get together. Her fish and tanks leave me a lot to strive for. They were absolutely stunning. Heck... her cull tank (as she called it) alone was equally impressive.

I also want to thank Dan for such a wonderful donation. I ended up raffling off the 8 keepers of CBW's and was such a hit. I was pleased that Linda had won one and we were able to give an "on site" demonstration. Her fishies just went nuts! Dan... you are indeed "The Man" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was very nice to see Willie ;) , DJ, Al, and Linda again. It was also great to meet some new "Discus" fanatics. I look forward to seeing Paul again at his St Croix Hatchery. But I have a feeling that I will not wait till Feb/March to visit his hatchery as the fever has his me full force. Oscar! you will have to plan your next business trip around that time.. :thumbsup:

Finally, I need to add that I still have not met Pat Meuret yet. :( We missed him at the MAS and again last night, I did not get to place the face with the name. "Pat, if you are out there... Beware I am on the hunt".. :P lol... I must say the Wild Nhumunda Blue was a breath taking fish and Lauris is such a lucky man to have won it. I look foward to seeing pics once he is settled.

Thanks again for such a great time. I will post pics soon (have a lot!)...

Julz ;)

11-09-2002, 01:26 PM
Al = goofy lookin? :-\ NOT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D

Will take me a bit, I am not the best pic poster, remember? Weezy, however, his hot after it as I type. And... she is good!...

Julz

Jeffery_Doty
11-09-2002, 02:22 PM
Hey All,

Man, looks like you all had a blast!! 18 folks, what a great turn out.

I love seeing pictures of other discus obsessed folks enjoying a get together.

You should all be proud of a great meeting!

Jeff
Oregon

rsawest
11-09-2002, 03:49 PM
It was a great turn out last night. I enjoyed seeing everyone again and meeting some new faces. I agree with Jeff, it's great to get a bunch of discus nuts together and just talk shop.

Thanks to Willie, Weezy, and Julz for bringing their cameras. I'm going to try to post a few pics. These are taken by Julz.

rsawest
11-09-2002, 03:52 PM
Here's another one, some of little ones. The ABD's are from Willie and the others are Marlboros and Marlboro lights from Al at Rocky Mountain. They're enjoying CBW's for the first time. (Thanks Julz and Dan!).

I'll be posting more later.

Linda

11-09-2002, 04:06 PM
Actually Linda,

Those picks were taken by Weezy (the other Julz). She sure took a nice one of your babies. They were sooooooooooooo cute!.

But.... I look so old :'( in the group shot.....

Oh well. life is so unkind sometimes.... :-\

Julz

rsawest
11-09-2002, 05:32 PM
You are absolutely correct Julz.

This series of pics were taken by Wezzy. Weezy stopped by this morning with the pics on CD for me. I really appreciate all her efforts.

Here are more by Weezy!

two blue turqs from Paul of St. Croix Discus, one Marlboro, and one BD x SS, both from Cary.

rsawest
11-09-2002, 05:37 PM
another shot of the little dudes enjoying CBW.

rsawest
11-09-2002, 05:39 PM
Cary's bd x ss, plus a Dreamsicle in the back!

rsawest
11-09-2002, 05:42 PM
Yet another shot of my little dudes. I love these guys. ;D ;D

rsawest
11-09-2002, 05:46 PM
This is Lauris, the winner of the wild blue discus! Lucky man!

rsawest
11-09-2002, 05:48 PM
Here's Denny, aka DJ, wearing his Vikings apparel.

rsawest
11-09-2002, 05:59 PM
Here are some of the folks attending last night.

rsawest
11-09-2002, 06:04 PM
Here's one of Willie.

rsawest
11-09-2002, 06:07 PM
Last one for now.

Some other folks at the meeting. I'll defer to Julz and Willie for some other pics. I'll post some of other fish pics in the photo gallery section.

Denny
11-09-2002, 08:45 PM
hey linda

thanks for opening your doors for us last night, you were a great hostess and i really liked your setup.

p.s i was home by 1:15 a.m and up at 5:00 a.m and yes-bambi is still alive and kicking ;) i didn't even take a nap on the fence line this morning.

denny

11-09-2002, 11:23 PM
Hi Everybody!!! ;D
I had so much fun at Linda's. Her house filled with discus tanks were just outstanding!!! (I am soooooooooooo jealous!!!!! They were beautiful!!!!!) I enjoyed meeting new people and want to thank Linda for being a great hostess and allowing us to meet at her house. It was great seeing Willie and DJ again, you guys are great!!! I also want to add that I found a really great friend- Linda... she is so cool!!! Just a great gal!!! ;D

Lauris- you lucky guy!!!! I am so happy for you, and hope that you post a picture of that monster fish when you get him settled in.

Paul- it was so great meeting you and I am anxious to go to your hatchery. In fact, Feb-Mar is too long- Julz, Linda and I are going to take a road trip!!!!!! We will call you ahead of time. .... so be expecting our call! (Like tomorrow- haha)

Thank you so much Dan for donating the CBW's- I must say- I was impressed!!!! Julz.... like always- you did a great job!!!! ;D

Overall, it was a great meeting and I agree with Willie :) it was nice to see so many people present!!! Until next time....

Willie
11-10-2002, 10:37 AM
Kudos to Julz and Spluweze for bringing all the food (they had bread baking in the oven!) and preparing all the blackworms. That had to be a ton of work. Everyone brought food but these two gals were outstanding, easy on the eyes too.

Willie

April
11-10-2002, 06:45 PM
great pics..and neat seeing the gathering..seeming i miss out on them all... waaaaa
im moving.

greywalker
12-04-2002, 03:56 PM
Hi, sorry I missed this mtg.
I did call Willie the Sunday after it. Sounds like quite a few attended. Promise to be at the next one.
Bye