PDA

View Full Version : Barrels used for pickel onions any good?

troy
10-28-2002, 11:06 PM
Hi

I have found black food grade plastic barrels used for pickel onions , would like to know if these would be ok to use for aging water and if anyone knows of ways to get rid of the smell .

Troy

Carol_Roberts
10-28-2002, 11:41 PM
I bet they'll work just fine! I cleaned mine with a few drop of mild soap and water. Rinse really, really, really good. Leave lid off for a few days to air out. Smell will go away over time.
Carol :heart1:

Smokey
10-31-2002, 07:25 AM
Howdy:
I would not use any detergent. I have used Isopholine alchole to sterilze and clean the inside and then wash with water and back soda, gets rid if the odor.

After a few uses the ofor should diminish..

Smokey

troy
11-01-2002, 08:29 AM
Hi smiley

How much baking soda do you need, do need to soak the barrel with baking soda and water or wash with a rag.

Troy

Smokey
11-07-2002, 07:37 AM
Troy.
Backing soda absorbs the smell. Wash the inside down; with a water/baking soda solution. rinse a couple of times.
The remaining oder should slowly dissapate. You could just throw a box of baking soda and a gallon of water i n the barrel and let it sit for a few days.

11-07-2002, 08:08 AM
you could also use bleach or sanitizer(food grade bleach) then rinse well, if your still worried use vinegar or de-chlor to neutralize it.

11-07-2002, 02:37 PM
I use Chlorox and it works great...it kills 99.9% of bacteria, and if u let water sit in it for a day, any left-over chlorine will be gone so there's no danger...

Smokey
11-09-2002, 10:24 AM
There you go Troy; a lot of very good advice.

Clean the barrel ; sanitize; sterilize, and de- oderize.
I used a 65 gal. barrel which had olives in. The bleach did its job, and the soda took away any residual oder. I used the barrel for over 8 years; and at times it still reminded me of its orginal use. LOL...
Never had any problems with the water. The fish, however, did want martini's !!!!

Smokey