PDA

View Full Version : Rainforest Farms Int.

Spring
11-02-2002, 05:16 PM
Hi everyone, I am new to your forum, but am a regular at AquaForums. Regarding your topic on Rainforest Farms, I was there earlier this month. Tom was kind enough to show me his facilities. He had many tanks with adult pairs with eggs and fry. I am relatively new to Discus, so I couldn't tell you what he had.I thought the fish looked healthy and active. While I was there I purchased 3 different strains. Some Red spotted greens, Blue Diamonds and Tiger Discus at what I think was a very fair price. I'll post pics and you be the judge as to the quality. As I said earlier, I am new to Discus keeping so maybe it would be helpful if you critique them so I won't make the same mistakes twice, If I did indeed make bad selections. At this point I can say that I am very pleased with the fish I bought from Tom. :)

Spring
11-02-2002, 05:17 PM
Another

Spring
11-02-2002, 05:18 PM
Tiger

Spring
11-02-2002, 05:24 PM
and another

Spring
11-02-2002, 05:26 PM
More RedSpotted Green

Spring
11-02-2002, 05:27 PM
yet another RedSpotted Green

11-02-2002, 07:38 PM
I'm not a discus expert (but I play on on TV) but I don't think those are red spotted greens. Red Turq's maybe? Anyone else? Not disrespecting the fish or quality of the fish..just don't think they are RSG's. The blue tiger looks like a Turq also.

disclaimer..I have no knowledge or experience with anyone or any fish from RFI. I'm neither promoting that business or trying to discourage anyone from using that business. I just don't think they are RSG's..but again, I'm no expert. I really don't even have any discus. Matter of fact I don't have any tanks. So you see, my opinion is worthless and shouldn't cause even the slightest smidgen of controversy.

Tad
11-02-2002, 07:58 PM
edibill, LOL, LOL love the disclaimer...

Willie
11-02-2002, 08:58 PM
I agree with everything edbill said, including the disclaimer.

Willie

Kap
11-02-2002, 09:11 PM
Those are beautiful discus! Red-spotted greens, red turqs and blue diamonds they look like to me. Thanks for making and posting the photos.

dogmatix
11-02-2002, 09:20 PM
LOL edibill
Love the disclaimer aswell might borrow that sometime ;D

11-02-2002, 09:21 PM
So which one is the RSG Kap? (please refer to above disclaimer)

11-02-2002, 09:43 PM
Wow!!!
I love those EYES.

Peace.

Spring
11-02-2002, 10:01 PM
Thanks Round Head, They do have great eyes, Don't they?
So the general consensus seems to be that the so-called "Tigers" are actually "Red Turquoise"? Thats OK with me, I just want to know what I have. :)

April
11-02-2002, 10:04 PM
welcome spring...to our forum.
have a look around..alot of people have posted their pics in the photo gallery.
those bd look small.. are they very young?
how long have you had your fish?

Spring
11-02-2002, 10:15 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome April, The blue diamonds are pretty young, 3" at best. I think Tom said they were 5-6 months old.

11-02-2002, 10:54 PM
Yea..welcome aboard Spring. I'm really not trying to give you a hard time. The fish you have are very nice. To me they look like Blue Diamonds and Red/Blue Turquoise. The one pic redspottedgreen2 isn't colored up enough yet for me to tell what it might be. It might end up being the prettiest red spot green any of us has ever seen. But, other than possibly that one, I don't see any. I got some fish in my tanks that aren't exactally what they were supposed to be too..but I won't reopen that dead horse. Not that I'm bitter or anything.

Spring
11-02-2002, 11:25 PM
No problem, Edibill. :)I do believe I "asked" for criticism. So I guess I may not ever know for sure what fish I have. Maybe after they reach maturity. I suppose if I had payed BIG money for them, I might be upset to find they aren't what I was told they were. Just this morning, I placed an order for 4 Leopard Snakeskins and 4 Shooting Stars from a highly respected business. I hope they are what they're supposed to be. These were BIG money. ;)

Don_Lee
11-02-2002, 11:35 PM
Welcome Spring. Great to have you, sounds like you are well on your way to discus addiction!

Don ;D

Denny
11-02-2002, 11:54 PM
hey spring. welcome

is there a web site where a person who was interested could go to see a picture of a "shooting star" discus ?

i had someone try to sell me a jupiter discus once but i told them it looks more like uranus! ;D btw this may not be a true story and names may have been changed to protect the innocent.

how long have you had discus and what tanks do you have?

denny

rfidiscus
11-03-2002, 12:11 AM
Spring, I am pleased to see that your fish are doing so well. Keep up the good work. By the way, you must have misunderstood me on your RSGs they are a cross between a rsg and a red checkerboard crossed back to a rsg. They have awesome red (stop sign) and great form. You can expect some of them around 30% or so to end up heavily spotted. The rest will be an awesome red checkerboard with spotting in the fins. Thanks for the report,
TOM MEADOR :)

rfidiscus
11-03-2002, 12:14 AM
BTW, the blue diamonds are only 4 months old, the blue tigers are a turq cross and once all of these fish mature you will be even more impressed.
TLM

Spring
11-03-2002, 12:26 AM
LOL Dj, discusfantasy.com has a good pic. I bought my first discus about a month ago. And yes, I am addicted. :)
I now have 4, 29 gallon tanks. 1, 20 gal. 1, 35 gal. and 1, 37 gal. tank. 2 of these are empty and cycled awaiting the new arrivals. I also keep Malawi and Tanganyikan cichlids. I had a reef tank until I got the discus. Too much work to have both. So the reef is gone. I kept my equipment though, In case I ever want to set it up again. Actually I needed the tank for the shooting stars. My husband would have a fit if I brought another tank in the house! :)

Denny
11-03-2002, 12:38 AM
spring:

glad to hear you lol-lol

i have to say i have a little envy for your incoming fish, you have picked some very spot a delic and snake a delic fish and a very good source?

get familiar with your camera and the photo section.

denny

Spring
11-03-2002, 12:42 AM
Hey Tom, Yes my fish seem to be doing very well and I am quite pleased with them. They are coloring up nicely. I'm feeding quite heavy with Blackworms and flake. Some other frozen delights occaisionally. The nicest of the tigers have paired up. I was so pleased it was the 2 with the most red. I'll be needing to move some fish around so that they can have their privacy soon.

Willie
11-03-2002, 08:11 AM
DJ;

I'll bring my copy of Discus Fantasy to the meeting and you can see pictures of all of Wayne's fish, including the Shooting Star.

Willie

April
11-03-2002, 08:34 AM
i have waynes book. : )))

vosevichs
11-15-2002, 07:55 PM
Those are pretty fish Spring. Where is Rainforest Farms?

Spring
11-16-2002, 11:49 AM
It's in Bloomington, Indiana, vosevichs. You can do a search and find info. :)

vosevichs
11-17-2002, 11:53 AM
Thanks Spring.
I found his web site. I'm going to stop there next time I go to Indy.
Scott Vosevich

paulmat
11-17-2002, 04:26 PM
Welcome Spring
If your Shooting Stars are from a reputable breeder than you will love them. I have some juvs. and they are turning out to be some incredible looking fish.
Your smarter than me thou,I still have my 160 gal. reef tank along with 78 discus,boy its a good thing my girlfriend loves them 8)
Paul

Spring
11-17-2002, 08:12 PM
Paul my shooting stars and leopard snakeskins came from Danny Ng @ Discus Fantasy. They are awesome. :thumbsup: Geez, How many tanks for the 78 discus? All that and the reef too? You must be a busy guy. I can hardly find time to eat with the 37 I keep in 7 tanks. hopefully I'll find the time soon to take some pics and I'll post them.

Peace
Spring

Spring
11-17-2002, 08:18 PM
Vosevich, If you go near Evansville you should check out Al Johnson @ Rocky Mountain Discus. I think he's a sponser here, well at least his ad is on the front page. He's just off I64. Great guy, Great fish.

Peace
Spring

vosevichs
11-17-2002, 09:05 PM
I'll have to make a day of it and check them both out.

Thanks
Scott

Wittsend
11-21-2002, 08:46 PM
Although I'm relatively new to discus I thought I'd drop a line on my experience at RFI. I recently drove down to Bloomington to pick up what came to be 4 beautiful additions to my home. Not only was Tom very professional but his setup was extremely clean and well maintained.All discus looked very bright and lively. And he made special exception to point out distinctions between the different breeds. Tom seems to be very articulate and passionate about his fish. I would definitely recommend RFI to anyone looking to buy beautiful, healthy,competitively priced discus. And if your within driving distance I'd highly recommend checking out the Amazon Rainforest he calls a basement. Absolutely Amazing!

Shawn, Indianapolis