PDA

View Full Version : Tiny white worms

ottawadiscus
11-04-2002, 09:05 PM
Hi,

I saw tiny white worms in my breeding tank glass. Does anyone know about this. Is there any way that I can remove it. Week old babies are in this tank. Is there any good medication for it? Also I would like to know how this worms get into the tank.

Loyed

Carol_Roberts
11-05-2002, 01:11 AM
White worms on the galss are planaria. Every tank probably has a few. The become noticible when you feed too much and don't do enough water changes/tank maintainance.

Planaria are easy to get rid of - when you don't have babies in the tank . . . . Right now you're doing less water changes and feeding tiny food for the fry. All things planaria love.

Otherwise you'd wipe down the glass, thermometer, cords, inside the filter box, filter media and do big water changes while cutting way down on the food for a week or two and the planaria would disappear. . . . Unfortunately your fry would probaly disappear too . . . .

I'm not sure what to advise you to do. . . Do you have another tank you could set up for the fry and parents?

Carol :heart1:

Saffwaan
11-16-2002, 04:49 PM
hi, ok i have suffred from planaria and nematodes, similar.
One is flat which crawls across the glas sthe other is rounds and wriggle in the water. I have read on
http://badmanstropicalfish.com/articles/article1.html

That they wil thrive in either overstocked or over fed tanks.
That site shows pictures of closeups of both, also offers good advice.
Btw it seems that they will probably also feed on your eggs, i just realised that they fed on mine after my fish spawned twice.

well hope that helps
and problems is gone, i am going to go deal with mines now.
saff

heavyp83
11-17-2002, 10:27 PM
Is that the same thing as tap worms? I've heard of them coming straight out of the tap! :-\

Carol_Roberts
11-17-2002, 11:05 PM
They're not supposed to come out of the tap - especially not from chlorinated city water.
CArol :heart1:

EthanCote.com
11-17-2002, 11:37 PM
Out of curiosity, didn't the babies make snacks out of them worms?

I used to have some fancy guppies and they ended up snacking on these worms but of course guppies are a tad larger than Discus fries ;)

Cheers,

Chi.