PDA

View Full Version : When is a juv Discus ready for com. tank

regal
11-06-2002, 07:31 PM
I am weighing options with buy Discus from Gwynbrook. He sells discus is 2,3, or 4 inch size.

How long would it take to grow out a 2 incher to where he would be big enough to put in a planted community tank?

Same question for a 3 and 4 incher. Trying to decide if there is much savings buying the smaller fish, I am only buying 2.

DHDiscusMan
11-06-2002, 08:12 PM
It's hard for only 2 discus to get along. Are there already discus in the community tank? If not then you could probably put in 3 or 4 small ones for the price of two larger ones unless there is some other fish that may pick on the discus.

I think most people here don't recommend less than 4 because they with smaller numbers it's more likely that one will be singled out for abuse.

That's what I've heard anyway. Both of my tanks have 6+ in them.

Dan

Carol_Roberts
11-06-2002, 08:17 PM
Dan is right. perhaps you could buy two adults?
Carol :heart1:

Dennis_Hardenburge
11-06-2002, 08:52 PM
If you are only getting two, which I would advise against, get the two largest you can and ask Peter to do the best he can at picking a male and a female.
Good luck
Dennis

saints27
11-06-2002, 11:06 PM
What other fish will be in the community tank?

Jamie

keno
11-07-2002, 10:19 AM
I would wait until the discus reach one year of age, they should be close to full size by then. I stopped bt Peter's

place last year and i saw lots of adults there, HUGE, fat and healthy. If you have an established comunity alreay I

would just buy some adults and quarantine them. Im actually looking to add 2 adults to my collection and if Cary

doesnt have any adults, Peter will be my 2nd choice. If you can goto his place, its a must see, I was in awe when I

went to his hatchery, I wish we could get him to post here, cause he been doing discus for a long time.

Ken

regal
11-07-2002, 07:23 PM
Right now the tank has been set up 3 months, occupants are 12 ottos 2 SAE's, 2 false SAE's and a Ram. I wanted to add 40 cardinals, hence why I only would have room for 2 discus. Been keeping reef and tropical fish for 20 years but never took the discus plunge cause I always lived in hard water zones. Finally moved to a place with soft well water (also have an RO just in case.)

Sounds like the lower cost route would be to buy an adult pair although I have now intentions of breeding. I was hoping the 4 inchers would be suitable to put in my main tank after a few months in a bare bottom tank?

I may decide to buy 4 discus and cut back on the cardinals.

saints27
11-07-2002, 08:26 PM
The reason I asked what else was in there was because I picked up another 5 discus last week (3 x 4 inch ,2 x 3 inch) and I didnt have a tank cycled so I put them in the community tank with tetra's,rams,appistogramma's and bolivian butterflies + a few other things .The 4 inch ones were fine but the smaller 2 ended up with the fins being bitten by the butterflies,so I moved them out .The larger ones are still in there doing fine

Jamie