PDA

View Full Version : DOH!

engineguy129
11-07-2002, 03:19 AM
Hi everyone,
Ok got a weird question hopefully everyone could give some intel on. I was looting the hillside today in seach of stuff for my 150g tank in the worx and found a most bizaar piece of drift wood beside a river bank left over from last years flood. I have read that Discus love to hang out under the roots of dead trees in the wild. Without thinking I threw it in the truck, after getting home and gleeming over my find I really noticed how big it was. I have heard of people boiling their drift wood and what not, I do not think this can be done here.............can I get away with washing the hell out of it?? ???.

11-07-2002, 09:31 AM
IMHO It's not worth the effort and the risk of infection of all your fish collection. It may harbour some nasties deep inside the wood. Cheaper to buy one if you take account of the lost and frustrations my may encounter in future. I speak from my bad experience from the past.

Jimmy

DarkDiscus
11-07-2002, 09:48 AM
I totally agree with Jimmy. It could be that the wood is perfect and would cause no harm, but there's always the risk of something lurking in the wood - chemical, biological, whatever - that could cause problems down the line.

It's not worth the risk.

John

melo
11-07-2002, 06:45 PM
How do you know the wood that you buy is any safer?

Rick_May
11-07-2002, 06:58 PM
Melo,
Right On! To borrow something from "my cousin Vinny" . Is this magic wood? Did you get this wood from the same guy that sold Jack his magic beans?

Anything we add from the outside into a tank could carry something you don’t want. Doesn’t matter if you buy it or find it.

Fish_Fin-atic
11-08-2002, 12:05 AM
I never buy my wood. Call me cheap, or whatever, but I've always collected my own, and I've never had a problem yet (knock on wood...driftwood that is ;))

After collecting it, get yourself a large container such as an old bathtub, or a plastic garbage can and place the wood inside. Then weight it down with something very heavy (several rocks,bricks, or dumbells) and pour in scalding hot water. You will most likely see lots of air bubbles escaping from the wood. This is good, it means that the hot water is getting into the wood. Change the water several times over the course of the day with scalding water. When you notice that the wood stops letting out air, and/or when it stops staining the water, then you fill it with hot water again, but this time add enough salt so that some of the salt settles at the bottom. Let the wood stand in this saturated salt brine for a week. Then rinse the wood in fresh water, and if you want, you can "bake" it in the oven for a while afterwards. I usually don't bother.

Like I said, I've never had a problem. I figure that this process will kill 99% of any harmfull parasites, and the other 1% are always in the water anyways, and you will never get rid of 100% (there's probably parasites on your fish right this very second :o) That's my 2 cents. 8)

Mick M
11-09-2002, 09:43 AM
Got a dishwasher!!

Regards
Mick M.

slicksta
11-09-2002, 10:17 AM
Not sure if bleach would change the woods appearance.....but a solution of that stuff kills all.......

:bandana:

oodi
11-09-2002, 11:39 AM
A bleach solution will lighten the color of the wood, but our still came out beautiful!

Judi
:)

korbi_doc
11-09-2002, 12:54 PM
:bounce2: :bounce2: Hi all, have cleaned the driftwood all of the above ways; they work. My first piece I found at the edge of a brackish waterpond; left it in the barrel after scrubbing with just water, no soap, for 2-3 wks, sev'l w/c. then put it in & all was fine. Have several pieces now that put thru the dishwasher (minus detergent) & came out fine. A piece that looks a little like a horse head is outside in a barrel, cleaned with dilute bleach, too big for dishwasher unless I take out a bottom shelf, which I think I will do before it freezes. As long as they're well cleaned should be ok. I love the dishwasher method, forget who wrote that one, April, Carol, Gloria?? whatever, Dottie ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D wish I had that camera again, will post pics if I borrow it.

rfidiscus
11-10-2002, 12:10 AM
I have heard from so many people that they are scared to use driftwood that you collected. Whatever! I have collected hundreds of pieces of driftwood have never bleached or boiled any of them and have never had one problem with them. I think the key is: is the area where the wood was collected polluted, does the wood stink of something it shouldn't, is it infested with ants or other insects and is it rotten? yes to any of these and leave it, if not take it to the local car wash(self serve) and blast it clean with the rinse cycle(water only) If you have good enough water psi at home just simply use your hose and blast away any dirt or rotten areas and mount the piece to slate or hopefully it will sink on its own. One word of warning: I don't collect wood that is in water as yes it may harbor some aquatic nasties.
TLM

11-10-2002, 01:01 AM
IMO
I collect it and boil it.
Make sure to keep the lid on the pot this will also help to sink it faster.
HTH
Cary Gld!

korbi_doc
11-10-2002, 02:39 PM
:bounce2: :bounce2: Great idea Cary, but where do you find a pot big enough to put a horse head into?? Hahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!! Have sev'l large pieces too big for a pot!! lol Dottie ::) ::) ::)

oodi
11-10-2002, 02:57 PM
Dottie...

Try the bleach solution method in a 20-gal garbage can. We soaked ours for several days, and then rinsed by soaking several more days, with daily water changes. HTH

Judi

korbi_doc
11-10-2002, 04:12 PM
:bounce2: :bounce2: Yes Judi, that's what I've been doing to it, still would have liked to get it in the dishwasher, but it looks great right now, so guess I don't have to, Dottie ;D ;D

EthanCote.com
11-11-2002, 01:12 AM
Hope this isn't such a silly question, but wouldn't the wood chips, dirt, small rocks and stuffs ruin your dishwasher?

Cheers,

Chi.