PDA

View Full Version : Clean glass???

Flexy
11-07-2002, 01:30 PM
Can you guys tell me how do you clean the inside glass???? I been told to use a piece of cloth and just wipe. I have also seen a megnets that you can conrol from outside of the tank. Give some advice. Thank You :-\

OEG
11-07-2002, 01:41 PM
Flexy
Just get a ordinary algae scrapper from the pet store thats all you need some of these magnets are pretty expensive. I would use the magnet if you only have one tank but for multiples use an algae scrapper.
Oscar

EthanCote.com
11-07-2002, 01:46 PM
I use one of them sponges to clean dishes from the grocery store. The sponge has two side, one side is a soft foam while the other side is more rough and you can use for scraping (this is not wire so does not rust nor scratch your glasses).

Hope that help.

Cheers,

Chi.

Rick00
11-07-2002, 01:57 PM
I also use sponges that you use to clean dishes...i also made a sponge that i can put on my syphon to clean the bottom of the tank....

Rick

Rick_May
11-07-2002, 03:10 PM
I use just a sponge from a fluval 203, nice, round and works great. I also like it because the pours are large and it great to use under my syphon to clean the glass and syphon off what was on the glass.

keno
11-07-2002, 06:28 PM
One of the best things Ive ever bought for 20 bucks is my magfloat!!!!!

Ken

Flexy
11-07-2002, 07:05 PM
Can you post pics, does it do really good job??? It's regarding magnet. ???

keno
11-07-2002, 11:35 PM
If you goto bigalsonline and just search float, you find them there under mag float. Trust me if u have a mag float

your glass/acrylic will always be clean. I have a 225 which is very deep and extremely difficult to clean with a brush,

now i just leave the magfloat at the back of the tank and use it for 2 minutes once a week, soooooooooo easy now!

Ken

Flexy
11-08-2002, 12:10 AM
Sounds really cool. Have to get one of these. What size should I get??? I have 55gallon?

DarkDiscus
11-08-2002, 09:21 AM
I use paper towels for the most part, but a cloth will work as well. I've used the magnets, the sponges and the scrapers as well, but for a tank you wipe down regularly, I use paper towels...

John

11-08-2002, 10:14 AM
How do I clean my 4 foot deep tank? Never thought of cleaning when I bought it. I can't reach the bottom even if I stand on a stool. So I bought a gang of cleaning crew (Albino Bristlenose Pleco) to do the job for me.
With an overcrowded tank. They work day and night constantly without a single complain. All I have to do is to wipe the waterline once every two weeks. The glass stay sparkling clean. But they do excrete a lot and it's easy to siphone out.

Jimmy.

Fish_Fin-atic
11-08-2002, 11:31 PM
I agree - Plecos are the easiest way to go, but sometimes they will feed off your Discus' body slime. I've been experimenting with a Twig Cat for a few months now. It seems to be doing a good job of eating algae, and leaves the Discus alone.

Hey DarkDiscus, doesn't the paper towel dissentigrate in water? I would imagine that it could get pretty messy?

fcdiscus
11-09-2002, 12:54 AM
I use Handi- Wipes. You can even cut them into two or four pieces and they are cheap enough. Frank

slicksta
11-09-2002, 02:10 AM
Mag-Float...... :thumbsup:

a little pricey....but it last forever

:bandana:

11-09-2002, 11:22 AM
The dwarf albino bristlenose ancistrus won't nibble your discus. They're available from breeders on Aquabid. Usually about 3-4 bucks apiece.

Cowboy
11-09-2002, 03:44 PM
I use a 6" painting pad with an aluminum handle cut to the desired length. A few quick strokes and its clean. The pad was about $5 and the handle about $3. I did have to check over the handles for one that had a loose top that could be pulled off and refastened after shortening the pole.

Carol_Roberts
11-09-2002, 04:17 PM
Hmmm, I'm going to have to try that.
Carol :heart1:

Flexy
11-09-2002, 07:31 PM
The minute glass will get dirty I will have to go to Al's and pick up one of those bad boy mags!!!!!

dm
11-09-2002, 11:39 PM
I just use a small piece of the blue and white filter floss. The blue side makes short work of the algae and it has to be the cheapest way ever. After I am done the algae rinses right off the floss.