PDA

View Full Version : 4 1/2 weeks old fries! Marlboro Red x Blue Turquoise

kokebon
11-08-2002, 03:39 AM
Hello Everyone:

This is the first success out of 6 spawns for my breeding pair. I want to express special thanks to Brad and Brian for your help throughout this time.
I couldn't have gotten this far if it werent for you two!! Thank you!!!

Kokebon :)

kokebon
11-08-2002, 03:40 AM
I have moved them into a ten gallon since my pair have decided to spawn again. Feeding them frozen daphnia. Can't wait to see how they will turn out when they grow up!!!

Kokebon :D

kokebon
11-08-2002, 03:41 AM
Another picture. This was taken today. I will keep all of you updated as the fries grow......

Kokebon

DarkDiscus
11-08-2002, 09:47 AM
Cute little fat guys. Looks like they are doing well. What is that you are feeding them? Crushed tetra bits?

Good luck with them!

John

kokebon
11-08-2002, 11:26 AM
Hey John:

Yes. I fed them crushed pallets, but they didnt like that much so I bought some frozen daphnia. THey seem to be doing better with that.

kokebon

jeep
11-08-2002, 03:29 PM
Kokebon-

You're doing an excellent job! They've grown a lot since the last time I saw them.

Get ready for your next batch!!!

Brian

fcdiscus
11-08-2002, 06:38 PM
They look great! And but for the food, your tank looks spotlessly clean- a very important aspect of raising baby Discus. Keep up the good work! :DFrank

Carol_Roberts
11-08-2002, 09:10 PM
Aren't they cute with their little pink cheeks . . .
Carol :heart1:

11-09-2002, 01:08 AM
Very nice! I'm glad to see they made it and I hope you have many more to come... Keep us posted with pics, i like them!!

Brad

kokebon
11-12-2002, 03:17 AM
My pair has spawned again for the 8th time. this time I have over 100 eggs and they were all fertilized. so excited.

The fries have been doing alright. two of them didnt make it because of fluke.

Now that most of us have successfully bred discus, it is important that someone starts telling us how to keep them alive and any methods we should use to prevent them from dying....

kokebon

kokebon
11-12-2002, 03:19 AM
I would appreciate if any one can provide me with any knowledge or experiences in successfully keeping the fries alive and away from diseases.
Thanks!!!

The fries are in their fifth week.

kokebon ;)

Toothfairy
11-12-2002, 06:06 PM
Hi Kokebon,

I've been following your success in breeding the past month and I'm quite happy for you and your new fry batch. :)

Last week my own discus pair laid eggs but all turned white three days later ??? My water parameters are 84 deg C, 6.5PH, two air-driven sponge filters and an AquaClear 300, and 50% W/C every three days.

The only parameter I haven't checked for is water hardness. I'm from the LA area too. Is water hardness a concern in your area? Did you have to do anything to lower your KH or GH? How did you check (if you did) the water hardness?

I appreciate any help from you or from anyone.

regards,
Grace

Thanks,
Grace

joanr
11-12-2002, 09:24 PM
Kokebon, congrats! They are so sweet. My crew really liked the frozen Hikari Daphnia, much better than the BBS. At this age I also started crushed flake and cut up CBW, which they really like alot. You can feed them a variety of things at this point. Also bloodworm cubes cut into quarters.

As far as preventing disease, just 50% daily w/c's and keeping all filters, sponges and glass as clean as possible. My fry are about 7 weeks now and haven't shown any signs of anything as yet. I was tempted to use a mild dose of formalin but decided against it since they weren't dying off of gill fluke etc. Have fun, sounds like you'll have your hands full with that pair :D

Joan

Carol_Roberts
11-12-2002, 10:43 PM
Kokebon:
You may want to try prazzi if you think your fry have flukes.

Toothfairy Grace:
You can buy a GH test kit. Your water may be too hard if it is over 9GH.

You may have too much motion in your tank with 2 air sponges and an AC 300. Take out the AC 300. You only have 2 fish in the tank, one sponge filter should do it. You can add the others back after you have bigger fry.

Your male may not be old enough yet or may not be fertilizing the eggs. Have you watched him make passes over them?

Carol :heart1:

Marc
11-13-2002, 11:26 AM
Kokebon,

Wow! :o Congrats on your batch!! They're looking REALLY good!

I'd like to know something...where did you get the breeding cone? I noticed below in the older thread, in the picture there's that cone there with all the eggs on it. That's what I've been looking for all over. I couldn't find one anywhere..

I'm still new to all this. I got hooked on this...they're simply the most awsome fish I'd ever seen, they way they swim, social with other discuss, fighting over territories..watching them to do all that is so fun to watch. Every single movement from them tells me what they're doing.

Well, that's what I'm here for, to learn as much as I can. There will be many more years of enjoyments yet to come!!

Marc

Toothfairy
11-13-2002, 01:09 PM
Carol,

Thanks for the helpful information. My huge male SS made passes at the eggs right after the female laid her eggs. I actually videotaped the spawning which was quite a spectacle!

I took off the AC300 but left the other sponge in there for a spare cycled filter since I might just get more discus from Chad and Bruce at Riverside, CA over the weekend. :) I could use a cycled sponge filter on a brand new tank and get away with it right?

Thanks again,

Grace

hunterbeav
11-13-2002, 01:32 PM
Wow congrats Kokebon there gr8 looking. Well done :)

kokebon
11-13-2002, 06:22 PM
Hey Grace:

Do you use tap water or R.O? I don't use tap water at all because water here in L.A is horrible!! the chlorimine is high.....try using R.O and watch for water hardness.
Its common for the parents to eat the eggs. They do that because the water is not right. Your water needs to be aged.....

Hey Carol:

Prazzi....where can I get this from? I am having troubles with the fries. I do water change daily but it doesnt seem like they are happy!!!!
I put Ampicllex-anitbiotic in the tank and hope they will recover soon.

Hey Marc:

Most of local stores have breeding cones, you can check around Los Angeles aquariums. If not, I can always find one for you, its not a problem!!

kokebon

njdiscus
11-19-2002, 05:45 PM
Kokebon,

How are your fries doing? My are half gone :(. Tried all the suggestions on this thread but no luck.

Mark

kokebon
11-21-2002, 02:51 AM
Hello!!!

Just thought I post a recent picture of my fries.....they have all grown!!!

I have stopped my pair from spawning again since they kept eating the eggs. Hopefully, a month from now, I can get them to spawn again.

I have found another pair in my community tank, Snakeskin x blue turquoise. so excited, but I should let them practice before moving them to a breeding tank.

Kokebon

kokebon
11-21-2002, 02:53 AM
Another picture taken today.

Hm......I lost couple in the process, hope these little ones will make it.

can anyone tell me the ph I should set for this tank?

thanks

Kokebon

Nicola Gillespie
11-21-2002, 04:01 AM
Hi, I was just wondering what size the fry tank is and how many fry you have in it?

DarkDiscus
11-21-2002, 10:01 AM
Kokebon,

I would leave the pH alone and just make sure your w/c match your tank water. Lots of good food and w/c would seem to be the ticket.

They seem very healthy and are growing, so you are doing just fine. ANY spawn you have to expect some losses as the fish develop.

John

kokebon
11-21-2002, 04:12 PM
Hi Nicola

The fries (20+) are in a ten gallon tank.

kokebon