PDA

View Full Version : Help Sick Discus

Ikan
11-08-2002, 10:05 AM
Hi folks,

One of my discus has this strange disease that I cannot comprehend. It started when my filter hose was kinked. The water quality deteriorated and all the discus sick. They all had slimmy and muscus body and dark color. I rectified the problem and after a few weeks everything is back to normal. Exception of 1 fish. This particular one loss its appetite and I separated it from the rests in a hospital tank. I treated with some medicine bought from a LFS based on their advice. I don't know exactly it was, orange capsule with yellow powder inside that will turn the water green.

Gradually, the sick fish started to take some food. After 3-4 weeks it looks normal except that it lost a lot of weight. I put it back into the main tank. I was quite happy that it has joined the gang again and behave like a normal fish. Its appetie grew stronger everday. I was worried that after a few weeks it still looks skinny. I was hoping that it'll gain more weight after some months. However, after a few months (about 3) I found that it's still skinny as it was. Although, it has been eating regularly and quite a lot. I've also noticed that it has a difficulty excreting. Just 2 days ago, after excreting, the anus swollen and wounded. I'm treating it with Melafix and salt.

What worries me most is that it doesn't want to eat again and looks even skinnier. It still has a big appetite, but when it approaches the food and taste it, the food gets thrown back out as if it doesn't like it. I didn't change the food.

I've lost one discus before with the same problem and same cause. Until the day it died, it still showed an appetite to eat but when it actually tasted the food, it simply threw it back. Every day it just got skinnier but lasted more than 6 months!

Any help will very much appreciated.

FYI,
- the fish is about 6inch long
- tank is about 240lt
- water temp 29-30' C
- PH around 6.5
- once a week 50% water change
- 2 filters in operation, one mostly biological, and one only mechanical which cleaned when doing water change

Thanks

RAWesolowski
11-08-2002, 12:44 PM
Deddy,

Put the problem fish back in quarantine with a bare bottom tank. The isolation will help him to compete for food and you can keep him from possibly infecting your other fish. Do 25% of more in water changes per day. Shift his diet to black worms or blood worms. See if live food will perk him up.

EthanCote.com
11-08-2002, 02:12 PM
I have a discus that has stopped eating for just over a week now and it turned out to be Hex.

Hex symptom = excretes stringy white poop, stop eating and a bit listless

If yours does not have the above symptoms than I suggest you go to your local Hardware store and get some rock salt. You can find it in the plumbing dept. Rock salt is used to soften water. Apparently when sick discus stop eating and is able to get these salts in their stomach, these salt will help calms its tummy so hopefully will help them resume eating again.

I got the rock salt idea from JimmyL. So u can thanks him ;D

I hope that help.

Cheers,

Chi.

Ikan
11-08-2002, 10:45 PM
Hi all :D

I think it's starting to eat a little. What I don't understand most is:
- why is it showing a huge appetite?
- why does it stay skinny?

Could this be caused by worm or any internal parasites or even worst tuberculoses? ???

I added some salts last night after water change.

Thanks.

DD

Carol_Roberts
11-08-2002, 11:32 PM
Yes, it could be worms. When he is healthy again try worming them all. there are threads here on worming procedures and medications.
Carol :heart1:

Ikan
02-01-2003, 01:50 AM
Hi all, ???

It's been a while since my last post. I've treated the sick fish with Prazi for a week and Metro for another week at different stages. Also, have raised the temp to 34 C for at least 10 days.

However, the fish does not improve. Instead it gets worse. Now it's:
- very skinny, looks like anorexia (same as the one that died before)
- still pale but fins are dark
- black eye, sometimes turn orange when it's competeng with others for food
- still have appetite to eat but never gain any weight, instead loose it
- no white stringy feces, no slimmy stuff
- the other 2 Blue Diamonds are skinny aswell no matter how much they eat
- could this be a fish TB?

I'm thinking to euthanise it but what about the other two and the rest of the fish in the tank? :'(

Thanks